Reload this Page >

Supergirl (S1E05) -- "Livewire" -- 11/16/15

TV Talk Talk about Shows on TV

Old 11-16-15, 05:30 PM
DVD Talk God

Received 3,550 Likes on 2,542 Posts

KARA'S THANKSGIVING MAY BE RUINED WHEN HER FOSTER MOTHER COMES FOR A TENSE VISIT AND A VOLATILE CATCO EMPLOYEE IS TRANSFORMED INTO THE VILLAINOUS LIVEWIRE, ON "SUPERGIRL," MONDAY, NOV. 16

Brit Morgan Guest Stars as Leslie Willis/Livewire and Helen Slater Guest Stars as Dr. Eliza Danvers, Kara's Foster Mother

"Livewire" - Kara's Thanksgiving may be ruined when she suspects her foster mother, Dr. Danvers (Helen Slater)
, who is coming to town, disapproves of her new role as a superhero. Also, when an accident transforms a volatile CatCo employee into the villainous Livewire, she targets Cat and Supergirl, on SUPERGIRL, Monday, Nov. 16 (8:00-9:00 PM, ET/PT) on the CBS Television Network. Brit Morgan guest stars as Leslie Willis/Livewire and Helen Slater guest stars as Dr. Eliza Danvers, Kara's foster mother.

REGULAR CAST:

Melissa Benoist (Kara Danvers/Supergirl)
Calista Flockhart (Cat Grant)
Chyler Leigh (Alex Danvers)
Mehcad Brooks (James Olsen)
David Harewood (Hank Henshaw)
Jeremy Jordan (Winslow "Winn" Schott)
RECURRING CAST:

Jenna Dewan-Tatum (Lucy Lane)
Malina Weissman (Young Kara)
Helen Slater (Dr. Eliza Danvers)
Dean Cain (Dr. Jeremiah Danvers)
Jordan Mazarati (Young Alex)
Jay Jackson (Male Newscaster)
GUEST CAST:

Brit Morgan (Leslie Willis/Livewire)
Michael Mealor (Fratty Dude)
Kevin Covais (High School Kid)
Tom Waite (Pilot)

WRITTEN BY: Roberto Aguirre-Sacasa and Caitlin Parrish

BASED ON: The Characters Appearing in the DC Comics

DIRECTED BY: Kevin Tancharoen

Episode 4 was postponed until next week. Due to the news from Friday.

Episode 5, which is a Thanksgiving themed episode is airing tonight.

My colleague's neighbor is playing Livewire in this episode.
Old 11-16-15, 05:31 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Re: Supergirl (S1E05) -- "Livewire" -- 11/16/15

Thanks for the heads up, I'll probably just wait a week and watch both back to back.
Old 11-16-15, 06:04 PM
DVD Talk Godfather

Received 26 Likes on 14 Posts

Helen Slater and Livewire sounds fun.
Old 11-16-15, 08:43 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 182 Likes on 147 Posts

Out of town so I won't be able to watch this until Friday anyway. Given that they introduced Lucy Lane in the last minute of the previous episode I think it's probably better to watch next week's before this week.

That having been said the more Helen Slater the better as far as I'm concerned.
Old 11-16-15, 10:35 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

I really didn't notice anything in this episode that would make it difficult to understand not seeing the previous one. Knowing what the missing episode involved, there was an offhand remark of a name that seeing the previous ep would make more clear but it wasn't essential to get this ep. We know who Lucy is so she just didn't show up out of nowhere.

Maybe next week, some scenes will stand out more in this one but not enough continuity going on yet to matter. This one however does set up something that will carry forward.
Old 11-17-15, 12:34 AM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 783 Likes on 657 Posts

I found this to be a very smooth effort and seeing Livewire was fun. They've started eliminating some of the clunky dialogue and there were actually a couple of funny quips from Cat.

Supergirl pulls out her heat vision at the drop of a hat. Even to cook the turkey?

They are definitely down playing any type of super speed she might have in battle.
Old 11-17-15, 01:15 AM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 15 Likes on 14 Posts

I liked the episode. I'm not sure about the daddy drama though. Doesn't seem likely that Superman would just let the family taking care of his cousin be bullied. Livewire was cool but rather she got her powers another way.
Old 11-17-15, 01:47 AM
DVD Talk God

I thought it was a good episode. Nothing about it really felt out of order. It felt mostly self contained IMO. Lucy was introduced last week in the final scene and it was hinted that she and James were a couple. So her appearing her didn't feel out of order. Enjoyed Livewire. She was a fun villain.

Good to see Helen Slater and Dean Cain again. I think the theory that Henshaw might be Martian Manhunter could be true. Also, wondering if it's possible that Jeremiah might still be alive so they could bring back Dean Cain at some point later in the season. Eliza didn't mention how he died working for the DEO. I think they're keeping that in their back pocket.
Old 11-17-15, 05:59 AM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Received 32 Likes on 28 Posts

This show so far is not dragging things out too much. An episode can get to the point really quickly. Livewire was created, figured out her powers quite well and was captured in one episode.

The worse line was likely "shut up, mean girl"

Originally Posted by PhantomStranger
They are definitely down playing any type of super speed she might have in battle.
This kind of reminds me of the animated series. Her powers seem very much downplayed compaired to the comics. It is also odd how every alien appears to be quite evenly matched which is unlikely yet if they make her too powerful nothing is a challenge.

When it comes to speed they are basically acting like it does not exist which is odd.
Old 11-17-15, 08:23 AM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

pretty good electrical villain this ep. I know that entire theme for a bad guy is a little played out but I thought the FX of how she popped in and out of different power sources etc was well done. They seem to have made a style choice for all the beam/energy/glow FX to be very bright and cast a ton of light on the surrounding areas.

Everything from her heat vision to whatever the villains bring that glows tends to be x2 or x3 brighter then what I have seen on other shows. Oh and that early scene with the escaped alien. That one stunt man that flipped backwards past the *cough* random glass wall set up in the middle of the room, looked like he took a pretty good thump making that happen.

and now we wait to see where the ratings will land the show this week. That's the real down side of being on CBS vs The "we keep everything on the air" CW. You really need to post some good numbers.
Old 11-17-15, 08:57 AM
DVD Talk Platinum Edition

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

What's the verdict on this show so far? As a CBS property + only 30 minutes, I'll admit I'm highly skeptical.

Definitely a fan of Flash / Arrow / etc, though - so I'm willing to check it out.

Of course the other barrier is CBS' unwillingness to make these episodes easily watchable with Roku, etc.
Old 11-17-15, 09:34 AM
DVD Talk Godfather

Originally Posted by DJariya
I think the theory that Henshaw might be Martian Manhunter could be true.
I don't understand people thinking this versus just believing that Henshaw is Henshaw from the comics.
Old 11-17-15, 09:59 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 323 Likes on 241 Posts

I'm still trying to figure out why Kara keeps her glasses on when she's around people that know she's Supergirl (like at Thanksgiving dinner).

Then again, I couldn't figure out why she wore glasses BEFORE she became Supergirl.

Still, this was probably my favorite episode to date.
Old 11-17-15, 10:58 AM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts
Originally Posted by Birrman54
Of course the other barrier is CBS' unwillingness to make these episodes easily watchable with Roku, etc.
They've taken the Cinemax route ? They don't seem to want to cooperate with Hulu, but I did stream an episode from their crappy app on Chromecast.

Last edited by hanshotfirst1138; 11-17-15 at 04:29 PM.
Old 11-17-15, 11:38 AM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 1,011 Likes on 803 Posts

No, they've taken the "We're CBS, you will pay for OUR CONTENT SPECIFICALLY" $5 or so/month plan.

Cinemax just hasn't put software out.
Old 11-17-15, 01:23 PM
DVD Talk Ultimate Edition

Received 259 Likes on 152 Posts

Originally Posted by fumanstan
I don't understand people thinking this versus just believing that Henshaw is Henshaw from the comics.
The MM theory was mine last week, but before I realized that Henshaw is already an established DC character. After seeing him being such a douche this week, though, I'm glad he's likely NOT going to be MM. He's probably going to end up being this season's big bad.
Old 11-17-15, 01:27 PM
DVD Talk God

Originally Posted by fumanstan

Yeah sorry I wasn't aware that Henshaw was already an established character in DC. I'm not up to speed with the comic universe.
Old 11-17-15, 01:41 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts
Originally Posted by RichC2
No, they've taken the "We're CBS, you will pay for OUR CONTENT SPECIFICALLY" $5 or so/month plan.
I think that you can stream an episode as long as it is more than a week or so old, which does effectively run to the app useless, and is annoying bullshit, but it would at least work eventually. You could also of course cast it directly to Chromecast from Google Chrome, but not having a laptop, that doesn't work for me. Unless I want to pause it on the computer on another floor. First world, first world problems.

Cinemax just hasn't put software out.
In spite of being owned by HBO, a huge streaming provider . I keep hoping they'll update with this whole MLB thing, but probably not.

Yeah sorry I wasn't aware that Henshaw was already an established character in DC. I'm not up to speed with the comic universe.
Ah, how did we acquire worthless information before Wikipedia ? The character Henshaw corresponds to hasn't previously been in any of the cartoons as far as I know, so he wouldn't be known outside of the comics.
Old 11-17-15, 01:45 PM
DVD Talk Godfather

That's understandable, but I figured we discussed this a decent amount in last week's episode thread with an explanation of the character already. Guess you skipped past those posts
Old 11-17-15, 03:37 PM

Received 19 Likes on 14 Posts

Originally Posted by Birrman54
What's the verdict on this show so far? As a CBS property + only 30 minutes, I'll admit I'm highly skeptical.
Definitely a fan of Flash / Arrow / etc, though - so I'm willing to check it out.
It's not a 30 minute show. Premiering at 8:30 like it did I think I can understand why you assumed that, but it's an hour like Flash or Arrow (okay, 44 minutes, but let's not quibble)

And I enjoy it, primarily for Benoist's performance, but I am a life long comicbook geek, so the whole thing is right up my alley. I'm not looking for a copy of the Flash or Arrow, so just as genre show I like it quite a bit.
Old 11-17-15, 06:57 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 54 Likes on 49 Posts

The wire work is kind of sloppy. Not very smooth, you can tell they're on wires.
Old 11-17-15, 10:54 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Originally Posted by Double_Oh_7
The wire work is kind of sloppy. Not very smooth, you can tell they're on wires.
Hopefully that does improve as the show gains more experience. There was actually one cool move they had Kara perform against that DEO prisoner but the fight choreography needs to be tightened up.

The flying, especially long shots, looks great most of the time.
Old 11-18-15, 07:12 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 1,009 Likes on 615 Posts

Helen Slater looks freaking great! Damn!

Dean Cain needs to lose the puffiness.

Wasn't a fan of the "Take Me To Church" part. I like the song but it was very distracting throughout that scene and I didn't care for the version either.

I am intrigued by the Dad storyline. Hopefully it will bring the drama this shows desperately needs right now. It just isn't a very interesting show at the moment. We are going to stick with it because I felt we bailed on Arrow way too soon (at least from what I have heard) and The Flash took a little to find its legs as well.

Anyone else feel like they are pushing a relationship with Jimmy when there is no chemistry there whatsoever? Kinda like the Iris/Flash situation. Though Kara has no chemistry with the other guy either. And Lucy Lane is smoking hot! Jimmy would be a smart man to stick with her.

I would rather they dump the relationship stuff right now and just focus on her becoming Supergirl.

Anyone else surprised at the discussion of Supergirl's privates on the radio show?
Old 11-18-15, 07:46 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 419 Likes on 286 Posts

Originally Posted by Shannon Nutt
I'm still trying to figure out why Kara keeps her glasses on when she's around people that know she's Supergirl (like at Thanksgiving dinner).
Clark has done the same thing in comics and other media. Guess you cant take any chances if you have a secret identity.
Old 11-18-15, 02:12 PM
DVD Talk Hero

We have Lucy Lane on this show. I wonder if Superman and Lois are married in this universe. DC is pushing pretty heavily they are single at the moment but they couldn't force the show to follow that if the producers wanted something else.

Search this Thread

Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.