Reload this Page >

George Romero's Empire Of The Dead - AMC

TV Talk Talk about Shows on TV

Old 11-08-15, 10:13 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 15 Likes on 13 Posts

George Romero's Empire of the Dead, the iconic horror director's zombie comic book set in New York City, is headed to AMC as a TV series, according to zombie artist Arthur Suydam, who provides covers for the comic.

The news comes as part of a local news story looking at Wizard World Louisville, in which Suydam is one of a couple of people briefly interviewed.

Holding up a copy of the comic for the camera, Suydam said that he had just finished work on the series and that "This just got signed by AMC, so it's going to be the next, big zombie series on AMC."

The project was previously reported to be in development as a TV show, but there were no reports at that time who was going to take it on.

This would be the third zombie series for AMC, with The Walking Dead and Fear the Walking Dead both guaranteed at least one more season on the network. It would also add to their comic book adaptations, since Preacher is coming soon.

Empire of the Dead picks up threads from Romero's original (and public domain) zombie film Night of the Living Dead. Another comic book set in the world of Night of the Living Dead, DoubleTake's Z-Men, was recently optioned as a film for Lionsgate.

Robert Kirkman has said that he briefly considered taking advantage of Night of the Living Dead's public-domain status to use that title for the series which eventually became The Walking Dead, but decided against it on the advice of Image Comics.

Early in the series, it was reported that AMC and Kirkman were interested in having Romero direct an episode of The Walking Dead, but Romero has said publicly that he doesn't want to work in somebody else's world and is only interested in telling zombie stories he created.
and

“Empire of the Dead” artist Arthur Suydam was interviewed recently at the Louisville Wizard World Comic Con where he announced that the Marvel comic, which is written by zombie king George A. Romero, is going to be an AMC program.

“This just got signed to AMC. The new big zombie series on AMC is expected to be this one right here,” Suydam told WHAS11.

We reported that the comic was coming to the small screen back in May. Back then it was announced that the, “…series will be written by Romero and longtime partner Peter Grunwald, and executive produced by Romero and Grunwald with Demarest’s Sam Englebardt and William D. Johnson.”

The comic series not only focused on the zombie plague but also introduced vampires into the mix. It took place mainly in New York City.

The mini-series took place over 15 issues, which were released starting in January 2014 and ended in August of this year.
Old 11-08-15, 10:21 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts
Re: George Romero's Empire Of The Dead - AMC

I may bitch and moan but I'll watch any zombie show.
Old 11-08-15, 10:30 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 362 Likes on 262 Posts

Fear the Walking Dead is going to ahve to do something special in season 2 if it doesn't want to lose its audience. And I wouldn't mind if The Walking Dead wrapped it up within 2-3 seasons. I hope they don't do what most shows do and nosedive until nobody's watching anymore.

Good for George. He's the founder of the genre. Let him do what he wants.
Old 11-08-15, 10:42 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 1,220 Likes on 837 Posts

Ehhh .... I can't see AMC airing another zombie franchise while WD is there in any form.

I also haven't been impressed with the last few movies ...
Old 11-08-15, 11:30 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts
Is Romero actually going to be involved in any way? It sounds like there just going to base it on a property he had a hand in creating.
Old 11-08-15, 11:52 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

So anyone know anything about the comic? While I can appreciate what Romero did for the genre, and certain aspects of his work, from what I've seen storytelling/plots are not his strong point.
Old 11-09-15, 01:11 AM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Received 90 Likes on 77 Posts

Reading up about it... seems it not only features zombies; but also VAMPIRES.. o.O
Old 11-09-15, 01:31 AM
DVD Talk Godfather

Location: City of the lakers.. riots.. and drug dealing cops.. los(t) Angel(e)s. ca.
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Eh, seems redundant to have three shows on the air about zombies.
Old 11-09-15, 01:59 AM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 15 Likes on 14 Posts

Well this one has vampires also. I'll check it out. I honestly can't get enough of vampires, zombies or supernatural shows.
Old 11-09-15, 02:19 AM
DVD Talk God

Received 3,550 Likes on 2,542 Posts

I'm skeptical that news is official yet. Adding a third Zombie show seems like overkill.

AMC is already producing 16 hours of TWD and 15 hours of FTWD and that will almost cover a full calendar year with midseason breaks factored in. With so much on and limited TV hours for many homes, I don't know if anyone would be drawn to another show in this genre.
Old 11-09-15, 02:46 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 15 Likes on 13 Posts

Empire of the Dead focuses on a zombie outbreak and how it has affected New York City over the years. Romero's series explores original concepts that break away from the zombie norms that he himself developed decades ago; in this exploration, the zombies retain intelligence from their previous lives, making them a more challenging adversary.

To add thrill to an already excitement fuelled fire, Romero has given the zombies a rival... vampires! Empire of the Dead will give horror fans a glimpse at the day-to-day challenges of these dead rivals living together in Manhattan. Apparently the vamps will represent the rich upper-class, while the zombie corpses embody the lower rungs of society.
Old 11-09-15, 03:45 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Don't forget that Arthur Suydam is a known sleaze-ball. If he's the only source of the info I won't buy into it. AMC might have just purchased the rights to keep someone else from developing it.
Old 11-09-15, 04:11 PM
DVD Talk Platinum Edition

Received 40 Likes on 24 Posts

[UPDATE 11/09/15 - 3:50 PM EDT]:Reps from AMC have denied that George Romero’s “Empire of the Dead” is headed to their network. A representative said the quote from Suydamn is “totally erroneous.”

https://www.yahoo.com/tv/s/zombie-tv...201400713.html
Old 11-09-15, 04:13 PM
DVD Talk God

Received 3,550 Likes on 2,542 Posts

Dumbass
Old 11-09-15, 04:20 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Yeah, Suydam is a joke.