Amazing Stories revival -- Spielberg producing (Apple TV+) -- premieres 3/6/20

Old 10-23-15, 06:12 PM
DVD Talk God

Received 3,628 Likes on 2,603 Posts
Amazing Stories revival -- Spielberg producing (Apple TV+) -- premieres 3/6/20

http://www.ew.com/article/2015/10/23/amazing-stories

Amazing Stories being revived at NBC with Hannibal boss
Exclusive: Bryan Fuller developing new version of '80s anthology series

A new version of Amazing Stories is in the works.

The anthology series is now in development at NBC with Hannibal showrunner Bryan Fuller, EW has learned exclusively.

Fuller will executive produce and write a pilot script for the project — an hourlong weekly anthology series telling fantastic, strange and supernatural stories.

The 1985 original ran for two seasons and was created and executive produced by Steven Spielberg, who we’re hearing is not involved in the reboot. The series earned 12 Emmy nominations and received five awards.

Amazing Stories will be produced by Universal Television with Justin Falvey and Darryl Frank (Under the Dome, Extant) serving as executive producers along with Fuller.

This will mark Fuller’s first series project for NBC since the acclaimed Hannibal, which ran for four seasons and concluded this summer. Fuller is also showrunning the upcoming Starz fantasy series American Gods, based on Neil Gaiman’s novel.

Anthology series have been popularized recently on a season-long basis by shows like Fargo, True Detective and American Horror Story. But series that tell a different story each week (like The Twilight Zone), as opposed to a full season, are still very rare. UK techno-thriller Black Mirror is a key exception, with Netflix having recently commissioned a full new season of the show. Recently The CW explored making a new version of Tales from the Crypt, but the project never received a series greenlight.

Amazing Stories marks the latest retro TV series to get put into the development pipeline for revival, with other recent titles including Nancy Drew, MacGyver, The A-Team and Fantasy Island.
Old 10-23-15, 07:22 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 1,019 Likes on 810 Posts
re: Amazing Stories revival -- Spielberg producing (Apple TV+) -- premieres 3/6/20

I'll watch whatever Fuller puts out, even if it's The Munsters.
Old 10-10-17, 08:56 PM
DVD Talk God

re: Amazing Stories revival -- Spielberg producing (Apple TV+) -- premieres 3/6/20

http://cordcuttersnews.com/apple-ste...azing-stories/

http://deadline.com/2017/10/steven-s...le-1202185557/

Reportedly picked up by Apple. They ordered 10 episodes and are paying $5M each.

Steven Spielberg is Executive Producing.

No information on how it's being distributed. This is Apple's 1st attempt at producing original content. Will they try to keep profits to themselves or try to sell it to a 3rd party like Netflix or Amazon?

or if you have pay for the show a la carte in iTunes store.

Last edited by DJariya; 10-10-17 at 09:01 PM.
Old 10-11-17, 01:08 AM
Banned

Received 376 Likes on 295 Posts

https://www.nbc.com/amazing-stories

Now go watch the original episodes in HD.
Old 10-11-17, 04:00 AM

Received 1,889 Likes on 1,115 Posts

There's only one amazing story!

Didn't know I could stream them in HD, nice. We have the first season on DVD (picked up when it was first cheap on that deal we passed around here years ago) and while I loved it as a kid, the episodes don't translate well for my kids today. Except, I'll say, Mummy Daddy, which was the one I had the most vivid memories of as a kid. My kids love Mummy Daddy.

Is the brand name enough to make a comeback? Maybe, if they make it clear Spielberg is involved. He was why I cared as a kid. "The guy who made Indiana Jones has a TV show?! I'm in!"

Last edited by story; 10-11-17 at 04:08 AM.
Old 10-11-17, 08:13 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Was a big fan of the original. Would welcome more if it was similar.
Old 10-11-17, 09:37 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Received 46 Likes on 36 Posts

Originally Posted by Eric F
https://www.nbc.com/amazing-stories

Now go watch the original episodes in HD.
Ugh. I see I can watch "The Mission." Over 30 years later and I'm still mad I was strung along one full hour for that awful ending.
The following users liked this post:
The Valeyard (03-06-20)
Old 10-11-17, 09:50 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 49 Likes on 38 Posts

Originally Posted by rennervision
Ugh. I see I can watch "The Mission." Over 30 years later and I'm still mad I was strung along one full hour for that awful ending.
You are one jaded individual.
Old 10-11-17, 10:52 PM
Banned

Received 376 Likes on 295 Posts

Originally Posted by rennervision
Damn, you sure know how to hold a grudge.
Old 10-12-17, 09:57 AM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 289 Likes on 214 Posts

Watched the original when it came out. It went down hill pretty fast. I maybe got through the first season but never watched much past that.

The then contemporary versions of the Twilight Zone and Alfred Hitchcok Presents were much better. I can still remeber some of the stories from them. One where a present day teen could communicate with a teen from the year 1700. Another where a stay at home mom discovered an amulet while gardening that allowed her to freeze time by saying "stop talking". One of my favorite Hitchcok stories was where the woman was in prison and convince a custodian who was refused an eye operation to help her escape. He had her hide in a coffin when someone died and then he would unbury her an hour later. The ending was predictible but a great episode. I alos remeber one about a couple getting a box with a button on it. They had a choice to press the button and if they did they would receive one million dollars but someone they didn't know would die. That may have been The Twilight Zone, but I can't remeber. I really don't remember anything specific from Amazing Stories. I just remeber the first story had to do with an old man, his grandson and trains. And the second epsiode had something to do with meteor exposure and magnatism.
Old 10-12-17, 02:40 PM
DVD Talk Platinum Edition

Received 93 Likes on 59 Posts

Originally Posted by movieguru
I alos remeber one about a couple getting a box with a button on it. They had a choice to press the button and if they did they would receive one million dollars but someone they didn't know would die. That may have been The Twilight Zone, but I can't remeber.
Yep, it was The Twilight Zone. It's based on the short story "Button, Button" by Richard Matheson. That particular episode is what inspired Richard Kelly to make "The Box" starring Cameron Diaz.

I watched "The Box" for the first time a few months back. It's not as terrible as it's reputation, but I felt Diaz was a poor choice for the lead. I remember thinking that a plainer looking character actress would have fit the role better... someone like Mare Winningham. Then I found out Winningham actually starred in The Twilight Zone episode that inspired the movie. Her version of the character was an annoying shrew who chain-smoked -- the total opposite of the sympathetic schoolteacher portrayed by Diaz.
Old 10-12-17, 04:05 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 246 Likes on 175 Posts

My favorite AS was the one with Mark Hamill as the guy who's always told he'll never amount to anything because he reads comics and stuff. He never gets rid of his old comics and toys. Ends up living in a shack in the desert, dirt poor old man. Throws all his crap in his old car, goes into LA, becomes a millionaire selling his old stuff.
The following users liked this post:
JeffTheAlpaca (09-27-22)
Old 10-12-17, 04:51 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 722 Likes on 527 Posts

I kinda wish they would reboot Cliffhangers.
Old 10-12-17, 07:47 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 289 Likes on 214 Posts

Originally Posted by rw2516
My favorite AS was the one with Mark Hamill as the guy who's always told he'll never amount to anything because he reads comics and stuff. He never gets rid of his old comics and toys. Ends up living in a shack in the desert, dirt poor old man. Throws all his crap in his old car, goes into LA, becomes a millionaire selling his old stuff.
I remember that one!! I didn't know it was Mark Hamill. I remeber he had a copy of Action Comic #1 except the cover featured the Kryptonian rocket ship that sent Kal to Earth rather than Superman smashing the car against a rock.
Old 02-07-18, 02:53 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 272 Likes on 201 Posts

In what should be the least surprising news ever, Bryan Fuller has left Apple's 'Amazing Stories' anthology.

He was poised to serve as showrunner on the Apple scripted drama.
Apple hasn't yet launched a scripted series but it has parted ways with its first showrunner.

Bryan Fuller, who was poised to helm Apple's Amazing Stories anthology, has exited the project citing creative differences. The split is said to be amicable. Fuller, who originally developed Amazing Stories for NBC before it moved to Apple with a series pickup, is said to have wanted to do a Black Mirror-type show, which sources say was not something the iPhone maker had in mind.
https://www.hollywoodreporter.com/li...hology-1078055
Old 02-07-18, 03:00 PM
DVD Talk God

Received 1,365 Likes on 927 Posts

It is unfortunate he has this reputation, since he puts out quality product.
Old 02-07-18, 03:42 PM
DVD Talk God

Fuller is a talented guy, but this is going to probably hurt his professional reputation. The press is making it sound like he's difficult to work with creatively.
Old 02-07-18, 05:22 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 714 Likes on 584 Posts

What is wrong with the TV and Cable networks?

They don't pick up any of these buzzworthy shows but there is room for Kevin Can Wait.
Old 02-07-18, 08:45 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 55 Likes on 50 Posts

Originally Posted by Deftones
It is unfortunate he has this reputation, since he puts out quality product.
But not much of it because he keeps quitting projects.

As the saying goes... if you think everyone else is an asshole, maybe the asshole is you.
Old 05-22-18, 12:33 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 272 Likes on 201 Posts

It looks like the two guys from "Once Upon A Time" will be the new showrunners.

http://tvline.com/2018/05/22/amazing...nce-upon-time/

FYI, not related to this project, but I did read that Bryan Fuller has also exited the new Anne Rice "Vampire Chronicles" TV series.
Old 02-17-20, 12:46 PM
DVD Talk God

First trailer. Premieres March 6th

Old 02-17-20, 12:56 PM
DVD Talk Godfather & 2020 TOTY Winner

Received 6,159 Likes on 4,192 Posts

This might be the first Apple TV + program I have watched since...... it launched.
Old 02-17-20, 01:30 PM
Banned by request

Received 778 Likes on 582 Posts

Nice to see Robert Forster in one last thing.
Old 02-17-20, 01:38 PM
DVD Talk Godfather & 2020 TOTY Winner

Received 6,159 Likes on 4,192 Posts

Originally Posted by E Unit
Nice to see Robert Forster in one last thing.
Two last things. He will also appear in a returning series this Spring. Reprising a character.
Old 02-17-20, 02:18 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Received 113 Likes on 81 Posts

Loved the original but I'm not expecting anything great however Robert Forster as a superhero might be enough to make me pull the trigger on the free trial I've had sitting in my inbox.

Search this Thread

Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.