Go Back  DVD Talk Forum > Entertainment Discussions > Movie Talk
Reload this Page >

Should Jennifer Lawrence have been paid the same as Christian Bale and Bradley Cooper

Movie Talk A Discussion area for everything movie related including films In The Theaters
View Poll Results: Should Jennifer Lawrence have been paid the same as Christian Bale and Bradley Cooper
Yes
40.91%
No
59.09%
Voters: 44. You may not vote on this poll

Should Jennifer Lawrence have been paid the same as Christian Bale and Bradley Cooper

Old 10-20-15, 02:27 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Saw Jennifer Lawrence bitching about how she didn't earn as much money as Bale and Cooper for American Hustle.

It's been a while since I've watched that movie, but I don't remember Lawrence having that big of a role. Seems like Bale and Cooper had a lot more screen time. If Amy Adams was the one complaining about salary, she'd sound a lot more credible, as I thought her performance was more important to the film than Jennifer Lawrence.

Lawrence probably deserved to get paid more than Louis CK or Jeremy Renner or cameo
Spoiler:
Robert Deniro
, but she must be on meth if she thinks she earned the same paycheck as Bale and Cooper.

http://www.businessinsider.com/jenni...-stars-2014-12
Old 10-20-15, 02:30 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 162 Likes on 124 Posts
Re: Should Jennifer Lawrence have been paid the same as Christian Bale and Bradley Co

Don't tell me she's turning into a Katherine Heigl.
Old 10-20-15, 02:35 PM

Received 4,554 Likes on 3,089 Posts
Re: Should Jennifer Lawrence have been paid the same as Christian Bale and Bradley Co

Her gripe is about the entire concept and issue with the male/female pay. Which is valid. Unfortunately she's picking the wrong movie to make her case. I think this explains why well:

FLEMING: Jennifer Lawrence is arguably the highest paid female Hollywood star, but she came out swinging this week on the unfair pay disparity between actresses and their male counterparts. In an essay for Lena Dunham’s online newsletter Lenny, Lawrence attributed the disparity to her “vagina” and the higher pay to her American Hustle co-stars to, well, their “dicks.” When it comes to paydays, women have long held the short end of the stick, not inconsistent with many other industries. While it’s refreshing to see Lawrence put herself out there for a worthy cause, I’m not sure that American Hustle is the movie to use as Exhibit A. Here’s why. Everybody on that particularly film worked for heavy discount to make the numbers work. By the time Lawrence was brought in by her Silver Linings Playbook director David O. Russell to round out that stellar cast, deals were done with other cast members. And then they were changed, as several others gave up back end pieces to make things more palatable to Lawrence, who worked a lot fewer days than most everybody else.

I’m told that Lawrence worked 19 days and was paid $1.25 million and got $250,000 in deferred compensation. She also got seven points in a back end pool that kicked in after cash break zero. Christian Bale worked 45 days for $2.5 million upfront and nine points; Bradley Cooper worked 46 days for $2.5 million and nine points. Amy Adams got $1.25 million and seven points for working 45 days, so if anyone has a beef, it would be her. I’m told that Bale and Cooper each gave a point from their back ends to bring Lawrence up. Russell also gave up some back end and so did Sony and financier Annapurna Pictures, to make the formula work.

BART: Jennifer Lawrence may have fired up her fans, Mike, but she inadvertently focused attention on a related question that she shouldn’t go near: Aren’t all stars, male, female or whatever, absurdly overpaid? The original reason studios lavished big paydays on select actors was that they actually “opened” movies. Shirley Temple opened movies; so did John Wayne. In more recent years, action stars like Stallone and Schwarzenegger triggered substantial advances from foreign distributors. Arguably, neither of these phenomena, however, are true anymore. The combination of an actor and a ‘brand’ – Cruise in a Mission: Impossible, Damon in a Bourne Identity –can guarantee an opening. But the real stars who guarantee opening grosses are faux people like Harry Potter or some character who fell out of a comic book. So Jennifer should be grateful for her fabulous paydays – and change the subject.

FLEMING: I see it a bit differently, Peter. We are watching in real time as this young actress matures and becomes self-aware—I first noticed her like many for her Oscar-nominated turn in Winter’s Bone when she turned 20—and I love the fact she doesn’t pretend to be some fully formed manufactured vision of perfection. She’s this occasionally clumsy coltish young woman from Kentucky who tripped on the stairs before accepting her Oscar, and then laughed about it. When some creep stole her private photos and put them online, Lawrence went public and made people understand what an abhorrent privacy invasion might feel like. Those were stolen computer documents and so were the Sony hacks that put the American Hustle information in circulation and brought it all to her attention. I’ve found those hacked documents are embraced as full truth when they tell half a story and lead to conclusions that are too simplistic. American Hustle was a terrific movie and it doesn’t deserve to be the poster child for Hollywood sexism and unfair pay. Everybody sacrificed to get that movie made; if the actors and director had been greedy and insisted on their usual fees, a worthy film would have died at the negotiating table. That’s why you rarely see films with that many bankable stars. American Hustle got 10 Oscar nominations, including for all four of those actors and Russell for directing and co-writing. From Adams on down, all got momentum from success that benefited them in subsequent film negotiations. That includes Lawrence, who I hear got paid $20 million to star in Sony’s Passengers, a fee that was $5 million or $7 million more than her co-star Chris Pratt got, and he’s undeniably the fastest rising male actor in Hollywood.

It’s too simple to peg these deals to the anatomical terms Lawrence used in her essay. It’s all about momentum and leverage and some deals benefit studios and others benefit talent. Everybody kicked and moaned when Marvel insisted on as many as ten options for actors who signed on for superhero roles. You don’t hear anybody complaining much now, because those movies have been such huge successes that helped all those actors make better deals for other movies. That includes Scarlett Johansson, who because of her Black Widow turns in Iron Man and The Avengers was set by Luc Besson for Lucy, and off that got $10 million or more for the upcoming film Ghost in the Shell. Is she worth it? Time will tell. The actress I feel sorry for is Emily Blunt, who was all but set to play Black Widow until Fox enforced an option and instead made her co-star with Jack Black in the forgettable Gulliver’s Travels. But Blunt has rebounded and showed her chops in films like Sicario and Edge of Tomorrow. So while recent Hollywood chatter has Doug Liman on an inside track to direct Channing Tatum in Gambit, there’s also talk that Liman and Tom Cruise might do a sequel to Edge of Tomorrow. In that case, Blunt’s warrior character would likely be back and she’ll get her payday.

Fairness has never been at the core of pay for actors who in films from American Sniper to Forrest Gump have made back end paydays of $40 million or more for what amounts to a few months of work. You’re right, Peter; almost no actor ensures an opening weekend bonanza, and gone are the days of first dollar gross paydays where you would hear that an actor like Tom Cruise earned $50 million from a Mission: Impossible film before Paramount recouped the hundreds of millions it invested in budget and P&A. Men, more than women, benefited from that system, partly because it was thought they were more reliable than women in action vehicles that performed globally. All that said, good for Lawrence, for being willing to wave the flag for fairer paydays and raise awareness at the risk of being told to shut up—your suggestion—because she makes a fortune now on every movie. Actresses on the low end of the pay scale are the ones who might benefit from her words. I applaud her and other actresses—and actors like Cooper—who are commenting on her comments.
http://deadline.com/2015/10/jennifer...ms-1201586975/
Old 10-20-15, 02:38 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Originally Posted by dex14
Her gripe is about the entire concept and issue with the male/female pay. Unfortunately she's picking the wrong movie to make her case.
The article (http://www.businessinsider.com/jenni...-stars-2014-12) says that Bale, Cooper and Renner each earned 9% of profits, and Adams and Lawrence each earned 7%. I think that does sound screwy, but it should have been Adams who has the biggest right to complain.

If the numbers were swapped so that Renner only got 7% and Adams got 9%, those numbers would make more sense.
Old 10-20-15, 02:43 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 1,019 Likes on 810 Posts

Originally Posted by RoyalTea
Saw Jennifer Lawrence bitching about how she didn't earn as much money as Bale and Cooper for American Hustle.

It's been a while since I've watched that movie, but I don't remember Lawrence having that big of a role. Seems like Bale and Cooper had a lot more screen time. If Amy Adams was the one complaining about salary, she'd sound a lot more credible, as I thought her performance was more important to the film than Jennifer Lawrence.

Lawrence probably deserved to get paid more than Louis CK or Jeremy Renner or cameo
Spoiler:
Robert Deniro
, but she must be on meth if she thinks she earned the same paycheck as Bale and Cooper.

http://www.businessinsider.com/jenni...-stars-2014-12
She wasn't bitching about pay in her piece, she actually blames herself for all that, she was bitching about the fact that anytime she fights for something or raises her voice she's considered to be "bitching"

Her piece on pay itself just said:

It’s hard for me to speak about my experience as a working woman because I can safely say my problems aren’t exactly relatable. When the Sony hack happened and I found out how much less I was being paid than the lucky people with dicks, I didn’t get mad at Sony. I got mad at myself. I failed as a negotiator because I gave up early. I didn’t want to keep fighting over millions of dollars that, frankly, due to two franchises, I don’t need. (I told you it wasn’t relatable, don’t hate me).

Jeremy Renner, Christian Bale, and Bradley Cooper all fought and succeeded in negotiating powerful deals for themselves. If anything, I’m sure they were commended for being fierce and tactical, while I was busy worrying about coming across as a brat and not getting my fair share. Again, this might have NOTHING to do with my vagina, but I wasn’t completely wrong when another leaked Sony email revealed a producer referring to a fellow lead actress in a negotiation as a “spoiled brat.” For some reason, I just can’t picture someone saying that about a man.
She's not saying anything new or particularly shocking there, and this is a prime reason why we're kept out of the HR folders. And despite that, Angelina Jolie being called a "spoiled brat" actually did have a male equivalent (dick, douche, prick, etc; )

It's a really short essay: http://us11.campaign-archive1.com/?u...ba99d671e#wage -- written for a more or less feminist audience, curated by Lena Dunham itself.

Last edited by RichC2; 10-20-15 at 02:52 PM.
Old 10-20-15, 02:47 PM

Originally Posted by RichC2
She wasn't bitching about pay in her piece, she was bitching about the fact that anytime she fights for something or raises her voice she's considered to be "bitching"
Point.
Old 10-20-15, 02:55 PM
Banned

Location: Conducting miss-aisle drills and listening to their rock n roll
Received 168 Likes on 126 Posts

I think using an example of a film where everyone took a pay cut (ie. essentially invested their own money in the production) in order to get the film made is a bad idea.

Adding to that it appears that other actors threw their own points to her in an effort to sweeten the deal for her.

Meanwhile who gets paid the most over on the Hunger Games set? Lenny Kravitz or Woody Harrelson? Oh yeah that's right.
Old 10-20-15, 03:26 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 55 Likes on 50 Posts

I think anyone who gets paid millions to play pretend should count their blessings and STFU.
Old 10-20-15, 03:35 PM
DVD Talk Godfather

Received 26 Likes on 14 Posts

I don't see anything wrong with what Lawrence mentioned in that post of hers and as pointed out, it was less about "i demand more money!" then the circumstances around it and her own attitude. I don't remember American Hustle that much though and how much screen time she got, but I don't think it's a coincidence that the two women received less.

And I don't see how Hunger Games is an apt comparison since she's clearly the lead versus Hustle which was certainly more of an ensemble cast.
Old 10-20-15, 03:50 PM
Banned

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Adams did deserve more than Renner though. No way should he gotten more than her. I think Renner is in it less than Lawrence, no?

Hunger Games may work different though. How big was her value when that movie came out? The first HG movie....
Old 10-20-15, 03:54 PM

Originally Posted by Solid Snake
Adams did deserve more than Renner though. No way should he gotten more than her. I think Renner is in it less than Lawrence, no?

Hunger Games may work different though. How big was her value when that movie came out? The first HG movie....

She made $500K + bonuses on the first one... $10mil on the second + bonuses... $15 for the 2 parter.
Old 10-20-15, 03:57 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 414 Likes on 299 Posts

I didnt see American Hustle, if she had an equal role to her male costars yes, if not no. She probably has the higher salary on the Hunger Games movies.
Old 10-20-15, 04:00 PM
Suspended

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

#divasrevolution
Old 10-20-15, 04:00 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Received 40 Likes on 25 Posts

This is a big arguing point right now in Hollywood and it is good that the focus is on it. But the real person that got screwed was Amy Adams. Amazing actress, but greatly underrated and underpaid for the work she does. Would love to know her thoughts. Renner is just overpaid in any movie he is in.
Old 10-20-15, 04:01 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 1,187 Likes on 914 Posts

This thread is gonna get moved into Otter real soon.
Old 10-20-15, 04:01 PM

Originally Posted by jacob_b
This is a big arguing point right now in Hollywood and it is good that the focus is on it. But the real person that got screwed was Amy Adams. Amazing actress, but greatly underrated and underpaid for the work she does. Would love to know her thoughts. Renner is just overpaid in any movie he is in.
Agreed.
Old 10-20-15, 04:02 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 1,187 Likes on 914 Posts

And of course she's bitching, because that's all women do, right?

Old 10-20-15, 04:04 PM
Banned

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Originally Posted by jacob_b
Yeah. She's not getting enough financial loving for sure.
Old 10-20-15, 04:07 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Originally Posted by Why So Blu?
And of course she's bitching, because that's all women do, right?
When a supporting actor who doesn't appear in the film nearly as much as the stars talks about a pay discrepancy, what word would you use instead of "bitching?"

If Amy Adams brought this up, I wouldn't consider it "bitching," but for Jennifer Lawrence? She should have found another movie to use as an example.
Old 10-20-15, 04:23 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 324 Likes on 242 Posts

If Amy Adams brought this up, I wouldn't consider it "bitching," but for Jennifer Lawrence? She should have found another movie to use as an example.
I was thinking the same thing. Amy had a lead role...Jennifer just had a supporting role.

Now if Jen isn't getting paid as much as Woody on the Hunger Games movies, then she's got a bone to pick.
Old 10-20-15, 04:34 PM
DVD Talk Legend

funny looking at some of the award nominations. Bale/Adams were nominated for leading roles, Cooper/Lawrence were nominated for supporting roles.

Lawrence was definitely a supporting actor, but Cooper's role seemed much bigger than "support."
Old 10-20-15, 04:53 PM
DVD Talk Godfather

Received 182 Likes on 120 Posts

When 2 actors from the same film get nominated they try to place them in different categories so they have a higher chance of winning.

Screentime/lead/supporting that doesn't matter it's all about name recognition, reputation and credentials. There are actors in supporting roles who get paid higher than actors in leading roles just because of who they are and what billing they get. At the time of American Husle, JL had won an Oscar (the only one of the major characters besides Bale) and was in two successful Hollywood franchises.

Last edited by inri222; 10-20-15 at 05:18 PM.
Old 10-20-15, 04:59 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 1,638 Likes on 1,025 Posts

The reaction in this very thread is the reason she wrote that letter in the first place.

Originally Posted by Double_Oh_7
I think anyone who gets paid millions to play pretend should count their blessings and STFU.
So if a movie makes millions and millions of dollars, who should get the money? No one is seeing something because it's made by Sony.

And if a comparable role gets a much bigger cut of that money simply because it's played by a man (and of course that happens), the women should just STFU because everyone is lucky they are getting money?

Movies are big business and that money has to go somewhere.
Old 10-20-15, 05:00 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 722 Likes on 527 Posts

The studios need to have a salary cap. And Lawrence complaining should LOWER the salaries of male counterparts, not raise female salaries. The studio I'm at bases pay according to performance. Sorry, but if your film does shitty numbers at the box office, you shouldn't get to keep your $20M salary while the studio cost cuts and lays people off.
Old 10-20-15, 05:31 PM
DVD Talk Ultimate Edition

Originally Posted by devilshalo
The studios need to have a salary cap. And Lawrence complaining should LOWER the salaries of male counterparts, not raise female salaries. The studio I'm at bases pay according to performance. Sorry, but if your film does shitty numbers at the box office, you shouldn't get to keep your $20M salary while the studio cost cuts and lays people off.
I totally agree with you, but sadly the studios have proven they can't be trusted to pay fairly. We've all heard the stories how big movies fail to make a profit years later reportedly due to unique bookkeeping. So I can't blaim stars for taking a big paycheck upfront.

Search this Thread

Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.