Go Back  DVD Talk Forum > Entertainment Discussions > TV Talk
Reload this Page >

Gilmore Girls: A Year in the Life (Netflix) -- Limited Series -- premieres 11/25/16

Community
Search
TV Talk Talk about Shows on TV

Gilmore Girls: A Year in the Life (Netflix) -- Limited Series -- premieres 11/25/16

Search this Thread

Old 10-19-15, 04:56 PM

Received 4,585 Likes on 3,104 Posts

THIS JUST IN: We’re getting those final four words!

Sources confirm that Netflix has closed a deal with Warner Bros. for a limited-series revival of Gilmore Girls penned by series creator Amy Sherman-Palladino and exec producer Daniel Palladino.

Although negotiations with the cast are only now beginning, I’m told all of the major players — most notably Lauren Graham, Alexis Bledel, Kelly Bishop and Scott Patterson — are expected back for the continuation. Additionally, per multiple insiders, the revival will consist of four 90-minute episodes/mini-movies.

Reps for Warner Bros. and Netflix declined to comment for this story.

And I repeat: This is not a drill.

The deal allows Sherman-Palladino — who left the original series prior to the final season amid a contract dispute with Warner Bros. — to conclude Gilmore Girls as she always intended, right through to those elusive final four words.

AS-P addressed the possibility of a revival over the summer when she reunited with the show’s cast at the ATX TV Festival. “It would have to be the right everything — the right format, the right timing,” she said. “If it ever happened, I promise we’ll do it correctly.”

When I interviewed AS-P in 2009 at Entertainment Weekly, she conceded that the events of the show’s final seventh season didn’t match up with the end game she envisioned for Lorelai, Rory & Co. “I haven’t [actually] seen the last season,” she said at the time, “but I heard about it from other people.”

Even back then, AS-P remained hopeful that she would get to conclude the Gilmore story on her terms, via a limited series or movie. “The beauty of Gilmore, and the beauty of family-relationship shows, is you never really run out of story,” she said. “You’re going to battle your family until you’re all in the ground. Those things never resolve, doesn’t matter how much therapy you get. Ten years later, there’s still going to be [material] there to mine and to delve into.”

Gilmore Girls premiered on the now-defunct WB network in 2000, before transferring to spinoff net The CW in 2006 for its final season.

Did I mention that this isn’t a drill?
http://tvline.com/2015/10/19/gilmore...-new-episodes/
Old 10-19-15, 05:25 PM
HN
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 64 Likes on 39 Posts
re: Gilmore Girls: A Year in the Life (Netflix) -- Limited Series -- premieres 11/25/16

...most notably Lauren Graham, Alexis Bledel...
i'm in. nothing else matters
Old 10-19-15, 06:46 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 731 Likes on 533 Posts
re: Gilmore Girls: A Year in the Life (Netflix) -- Limited Series -- premieres 11/25/16

How will they get Sookie? She's kinda got a full plate now.
Old 10-19-15, 07:03 PM

Now that the initial shock surrounding the Gilmore Girls announcement heard ’round the galaxy is beginning to wear off — is it though? — you’re likely moving on to Stage 2 of TV Revival Euphoria known as the “We need more scoop!” phase.

As TVLine reported, Netflix’s in-the-works Gilmore continuation will consist of four 90-minute mini-movies written by series creator Amy Sherman-Palladino and exec producer Daniel Palladino (AKA Team Palladino).

Well, I’m also hearing that, yep, there will be a time jump. According to sources, the story that Team Palladino pitched to Netflix meets up with Lorelai, Rory, Emily & Co. in the present day, or roughly eight years after the series ended.

And here’s another tidbit: The plan, as I understand it, is for most — if not all — of Rory’s major suitors (i.e. Logan, Jess and Dean) to turn up in the four super-sized installments.
http://tvline.com/2015/10/19/gilmore...ival-spoilers/
Old 10-19-15, 08:36 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 1,101 Likes on 797 Posts

special appearance by
Edward Herrmann
Old 10-19-15, 10:53 PM
DVD Talk Platinum Edition

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by devilshalo
How will they get Sookie? She's kinda got a full plate now.
They could kill her offscreen or have written that she is a chef in another country.
Old 10-19-15, 10:58 PM
HN
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 64 Likes on 39 Posts

Palladino fought for McCarthy to get the role originally.
Old 10-20-15, 12:01 PM
DRG
DVD Talk Legend

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

I imagine Melissa McCarthy will find the time to at least make an appearance, even if it's just Lorelai talking with Sookie on Skype or something.
Old 10-20-15, 12:10 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 1,023 Likes on 813 Posts

Originally Posted by DRG
I imagine Melissa McCarthy will find the time to at least make an appearance, even if it's just Lorelai talking with Sookie on Skype or something.
I don't think it'll be difficult for them to book her for a few scenes.
Old 10-20-15, 11:55 PM
DVD Talk Platinum Edition

Received 12 Likes on 8 Posts

Is McCarthy THAT booked these days?
Old 10-21-15, 09:58 AM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by wearetheborg
Is McCarthy THAT booked these days?
She's on a sitcom, but it doesn't look like she has any movies on her plate--the 2016 releases she's in are in post-production. I'm sure she can find the time to make an appearance. It's not like she was in every scene of every episode of GG.
Old 10-21-15, 12:30 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 1,944 Likes on 1,505 Posts

Originally Posted by Tracer Bullet
She's on a sitcom, but it doesn't look like she has any movies on her plate--the 2016 releases she's in are in post-production. I'm sure she can find the time to make an appearance. It's not like she was in every scene of every episode of GG.
Her sitcom is still on the air? I honestly didn't know that.
Old 10-21-15, 10:02 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Received 40 Likes on 25 Posts

She's got a sitcom and of course Ghostbusters (needs a lot of marketing next year) so yeah, her plate is full. With it being 4 films, I think she could fit into one. But you can't kill her off as everyone was a funeral for Ed. Curious if Kirk (Sean Gunn) will be in this as he was busy filming when they did that reunion panel. I know Luke will be all over this. And all 3 guys that had Rory's heart, really? That's going to be some fun TV.
Old 10-26-15, 01:55 PM

Gilmore Girls‘ unorthodox revival structure is about to make a whole lot more sense.

As we reported last week, Netflix is reviving Amy Sherman-Palladino’s beloved dramedy via four 90-minute episodes/mini-movies — a relatively unusual format for a TV continuation.

Well, according to insiders, each episode will represent a different season over the course of one calendar year. In other words, there will be a fall chapter, a winter chapter, a spring chapter and a summer chapter.

Pretty genius, right?

AS-P and exec producer Daniel Palladino (AKA Team Palladino) will write and direct the entire revival, which will be set in the present day (or roughly eight years after the series ended). Negotiations with the show’s primary cast — Lauren Graham, Alexis Bledel, Kelly Bishop and Scott Patterson — are said to be underway.

Reps for Netflix and Warner Bros. have yet to comment on the approaching Gilmore renaissance.
https://tvline.com/2015/10/26/gilmor...sodes-on-year/
Old 10-26-15, 02:23 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 1,023 Likes on 813 Posts

Makes sense. I'm kind of hoping Sutton Foster shows up in one of them.
Old 10-26-15, 06:49 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Nice really like that idea. Excited for the winter episode.
Old 10-26-15, 06:52 PM
DVD Talk Godfather

Received 1,021 Likes on 843 Posts

Originally Posted by tvline
Negotiations with the show’s primary cast — Lauren Graham, Alexis Bledel, Kelly Bishop and Scott Patterson — are said to be underway.
I hope those go well.

Originally Posted by RichC2
Makes sense. I'm kind of hoping Sutton Foster shows up in one of them.
Old 10-26-15, 07:17 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Originally Posted by davidh777
I hope those go well.
I know Scott will be on board as he really wants this done. My biggest question mark, seeing as she still gets roles, is Lauren. I think it will get done, but seeing as how she didn't want to do this a while back and her marketability, I can see it dragging a bit.
Old 10-26-15, 08:18 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Makes sense. Changing seasons was always an integral part of the show.
Old 10-28-15, 11:36 AM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 194 Likes on 159 Posts

My wife started watching the series again w/ our eleven-year-old daughter over the past year.

This will be must-see-streaming in my household.
Old 01-29-16, 05:55 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 194 Likes on 156 Posts

It's official.

http://tvline.com/2016/01/29/gilmore...ast-returning/
Old 01-29-16, 06:28 PM
DVD Talk God

Received 618 Likes on 497 Posts

She's got a sitcom and of course Ghostbusters (needs a lot of marketing next year) so yeah, her plate is full.
Funny that she made it bigger than the rest.
Old 02-02-16, 08:18 PM
MrX
DVD Talk Hero

Received 259 Likes on 195 Posts

Someone asked McCarthy about this on Twitter and she said she was never asked to come back.
Old 02-03-16, 08:51 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 276 Likes on 172 Posts

McCarthy's tweet

https://twitter.com/melissamccarthy/...rc=twsrc%5Etfw
Old 02-03-16, 08:57 AM

Originally Posted by GuessWho
Originally Posted by MrX
Someone asked McCarthy about this on Twitter and she said she was never asked to come back.
Gilmore Girls creator Amy Sherman-Palladino wants Melissa McCarthy back for the show’s four-part Netflix revival, even if for just a quickie guest appearance. But given the actress’ jam-packed film schedule, she’s not holding out much hope.

“She’s really f—ing busy,” Sherman Palladino acknowledges. “But the thing I have said [to her team] is, ‘Look, if Melissa is available and has an afternoon free, I’ll write her a scene. Melissa was one of us. If she has a spare moment to run over [to the set] — even if for just a cameo — we would be totally game. And if it’s a last-minute thing, I would write her in and we would figure it out. That’s the way we left it.”

But, as it stands now, the revival does not boast a storyline for Sookie, although the character’s absence will be explained. “It was a character we knew we could not count on in terms of story, because [Melissa] just simply wouldn’t have that sort of time to carve out for us,” explains AS-P. “It simply would’ve been impossible. Planning around her crazypants schedule and her movies and her this and her that and Ghostbusters… I would just be sobbing in a corner for six months. That would be my whole life. But if her people called me up and said she’s free on these particular days or would love to drop by and just be in one scene, we would put her right in.”
http://tvline.com/2016/02/01/melissa...l-sookie-cast/

Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.