Marvel & Fox X-Men Live Action shows - "Hellfire" & "Legion"

Search this Thread

Old 01-26-15, 01:08 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 731 Likes on 533 Posts
Marvel & Fox X-Men Live Action shows - "Hellfire" & "Legion"

'X-Men' Live-Action Series in the Works at Fox
10:27 AM PST 1/26/2015 by Lesley Goldberg

Sources tell The Hollywood Reporter that the network is having preliminary conversations to adapt the iconic Marvel comic series — and feature film franchise — as a live-action television series with 24 producers Evan Katz and Manny Coto involved.

Fox's potential live-action series is being penned by Star Trek 3 writing duo Patrick McKay and JD Payne, sources tell THR, who will share a created by credit on the project with Katz and Coto. Katz and Coto will serve as showrunners.

Fox declined comment on Katz, Coto, McKay and Payne's involvement.

Fox studio counterpart 20th Century Fox owns the rights to the film franchise (with seven features already released based on X-Men characters). While conversations to bring the franchise to the small screen are under way, sources indicate a deal is far from complete with Marvel — which owns the comic rights — still having to sign off on the deal. The comic book powerhouse is based at Disney, with ABC shows including Agents of SHIELD and Agent Carter on the network and five upcoming straight-to-series programs in the works there. Marvel would have to sign off on the deal.
TV Insider first reported the X-Men news.

The potential X-Men series comes as Fox, under television group chairmen and CEOs Dana Walden and Gary Newman, noted that the network has also had conversations to revive The X-Files with Chris Carter as well as a limited run of Prison Break.

The network currently does not have plans for another run of 24 as a limited series, but has heard a pitch for a potential revival in 2016 — with or without star Kiefer Sutherland.
Old 01-26-15, 01:14 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 82 Likes on 49 Posts
Re: X-Men - live action TV series

I'm surprised it took this long. I'd love if they did something along the lines of The New Mutants.
Old 01-26-15, 01:24 PM
DVD Talk Godfather

Received 26 Likes on 14 Posts

I'd be interested, mostly for the chance to see a lot of the other X-Men characters that haven't been used in the movies. I'd wonder how limited effects would be though.
Old 01-26-15, 02:02 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Location: Formerly known as Groucho AND Bandoman/Death Moans, Iowa
Received 372 Likes on 266 Posts

Marvel has to sign off on this and they're pissed at Fox about Fantastic Four. I wonder if that won't scuttle the deal.
Old 01-26-15, 02:10 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 55 Likes on 50 Posts

Originally Posted by majorjoe23
Marvel has to sign off on this and they're pissed at Fox about Fantastic Four. I wonder if that won't scuttle the deal.
FOX has done a decent job with the X-Men, I don't see the FF messing things up for this.

I hope it's better than Agents of SHIELD... and we see ACTUAL superheroes in the show.
Old 01-26-15, 02:17 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 186 Likes on 129 Posts

The X-Men could work really well in a regular series.
Old 01-26-15, 02:34 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 324 Likes on 242 Posts

I really can't get excited about another superhero TV series, even if it is The X-Men.

The only current one I'm really in love with is GOTHAM and it's probably because it doesn't have any superheroes in it.
Old 01-26-15, 02:59 PM
DVD Talk God

Received 1,366 Likes on 928 Posts

How do you figure? I thought Fox had pretty much carte blanche with the X-Men property for movies/tv. Everything else related to that property (toys/video games) was with Marvel.
Old 01-26-15, 03:15 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 1,156 Likes on 902 Posts

Interesting idea. I wonder if the show would have a lot of budget to work with though. If not I think it'd be sort of hard to pull off a lot of the special effects for the various mutations. Other than that I agree that the X-Men would lend themselves well to a regular series.
Old 01-26-15, 03:20 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by The Valeyard
I'm surprised it took this long. I'd love if they did something along the lines of The New Mutants.
There was a Generation X TV movie/pilot back in the 90s.
Old 01-26-15, 03:23 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 1,938 Likes on 1,499 Posts

Originally Posted by Lord Zarak
And it was terrible.

They really need to take a page from Agents of Shield (the latter half of the first season and on) and tie this into the movieverse, though. Otherwise if they're going to be largely unrecognizable characters not tied into anything else (like Gen X), will it get much traction?

Either that or if they go alternate universe at least get some of the main characters.
Old 01-26-15, 03:25 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 82 Likes on 49 Posts

Originally Posted by Lord Zarak

Originally Posted by fujishig
And it was terrible.

Agreed. I enjoyed Hasselhoff's Nick Fury much more then Generation X.
Old 01-26-15, 03:38 PM
Suspended; also need updated email

Received 14 Likes on 13 Posts

I'm a bit worried about superhero TV overload

as much as i personally love them all, i don't want to see a public backlash and them all vanishing from sight

I'd prefer to see fewer quality superhero tv shows
Old 01-26-15, 03:43 PM
DVD Talk Godfather

Originally Posted by Shannon Nutt
I really can't get excited about another superhero TV series, even if it is The X-Men.

The only current one I'm really in love with is GOTHAM and it's probably because it doesn't have any superheroes in it.
On the flip side, I dropped Gotham after about 5 episodes and was bored of it. I think it would be neat if Fox did a New Mutants type series and tied it in loosely with their movie franchise.
Old 01-26-15, 04:27 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Location: Formerly known as Groucho AND Bandoman/Death Moans, Iowa
Received 372 Likes on 266 Posts

Originally Posted by Deftones
How do you figure? I thought Fox had pretty much carte blanche with the X-Men property for movies/tv. Everything else related to that property (toys/video games) was with Marvel.
Fox has the movie rights, Marvel has TV rights. My understanding is neither can do anything in live action on TV without the others' agreement.
Old 01-26-15, 07:21 PM
DVD Talk Legend & 2021 TOTY Winner

Received 743 Likes on 368 Posts

Fox has the movie rights, Marvel has TV rights. My understanding is neither can do anything in live action on TV without the others' agreement.
It's also clearly spelled out in the article in the OP that Marvel would have to sign off.
Old 01-26-15, 08:25 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 15 Likes on 13 Posts

Originally Posted by Obi-Wan Jabroni
It's also clearly spelled out in the article in the OP that Marvel would have to sign off.
I bet they would do so if they could get the rights to Fantastic Four back. Other than that, I don't see why they would agree and provide even more TV comic competition to their own shows.
Old 01-26-15, 09:45 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by DthRdrX
I bet they would do so if they could get the rights to Fantastic Four back. Other than that, I don't see why they would agree and provide even more TV comic competition to their own shows.
I agree. That seems like the one thing that Fox could offer Marvel to get Marvel to sign off on the X-Men show, the return of the film rights to the Fantastic Four. And, if the FF reboot turns out to be the dud that many are predicting, that might be a deal Fox is willing to make. They're certainly making a lot more from the X-Men franchise than the FF.
Old 01-26-15, 10:36 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 14 Likes on 7 Posts

I'd love for this to happen.
Old 01-27-15, 12:53 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 6 Likes on 4 Posts

I didn't think Fox/Marvel had a good working relationship. But if Marvel allows Fox to develop TV shows with its X-franchise, perhaps this could lead the way to Marvel being able to get some usage of the fantastic four.
Old 01-27-15, 04:46 AM
Suspended; also need updated email

Received 14 Likes on 13 Posts

It has to be light years better than Mutant X which was a X men rip off on a low budget

The reason the Flash works so well is it's a relatively easy (and cheap) special FX to pull off compared to other super powers
Old 01-27-15, 10:54 AM
DVD Talk Ultimate Edition

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I'd only watch this if it were independent of the movies. I'm done with the X-men movies.
Old 01-27-15, 11:51 AM
DVD Talk Godfather

Originally Posted by sven
I'd only watch this if it were independent of the movies. I'm done with the X-men movies.
Really? The last two entries in Days of Future Past and The Wolverine were some of the best of the franchise
Old 01-27-15, 12:04 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 731 Likes on 533 Posts

Originally Posted by fumanstan
Really? The last two entries in Days of Future Past and The Wolverine were some of the best of the franchise
That's not saying much.

However, the X universe is large and has a number of good story arcs that can funnel into the films much better than AoS/MCU can. But as with the Spider-Man franchise, I worry that there's no forethought from the studio about how to plan out the future of the franchise in a cohesive manner instead of being reactionary to box office success or failure. At least DoFP kind of wiped the slate to get everything in place for something on a grand scale.
Old 01-27-15, 12:10 PM
DVD Talk Godfather

Originally Posted by devilshalo
That's not saying much.

However, the X universe is large and has a number of good story arcs that can funnel into the films much better than AoS/MCU can. But as with the Spider-Man franchise, I worry that there's no forethought from the studio about how to plan out the future of the franchise in a cohesive manner instead of being reactionary to box office success or failure. At least DoFP kind of wiped the slate to get everything in place for something on a grand scale.
It's not saying little either. You say that like you're dimissive of the franchise, but as a whole other then two duds in X3 and X-Men Origins Wolverine it's been pretty solid with the two movies mentioned along with X2 frequently mentioned as one of the top comic book movies ever.

After First Class and DoFP, and the news so far about Apocalpyse, I don't think there's any comparison to Sony and Spider-man.

Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.