Go Back  DVD Talk Forum > Entertainment Discussions > Movie Talk
Reload this Page >

Godzilla vs. Kong (2021, D: Wingard)

Community
Search
Movie Talk A Discussion area for everything movie related including films In The Theaters

Search this Thread

Old 09-10-15, 07:01 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 729 Likes on 532 Posts

September 10, 2015 4:29pm PT by Borys Kit
'Kong: Skull Island' to Move to Warner Bros. for Planned Monster Movie Universe
The end game: to be able to combine classic screen monsters King Kong and Godzilla into one cinematic universe.

The end game: to be able to combine classic screen monsters King Kong and Godzilla into one cinematic universe.

A Monster Universe is coming together.

Talks are underway between Legendary Entertainment, Warner Bros. and Universal to move Legendary’s Kong: Skull Island from Universal to Warner Bros., sources confirm to The Hollywood Reporter.

Godzilla was made by Legendary with Warner Bros and grossed around $200 million. A sequel is in active development with an eye for a 2018 release.

At the same time, Legendary is making Skull Island, a King Kong movie that is just weeks away from shooting and will star Tom Hiddleston and Brie Larson, among others.

When it became clear that all roads led to an eventual crossover with a series of movies on these so-called super species, talks began to move Skull Island. The dealmaking isn’t as complicated as one would think: Universal has no financial stake and was only to distribute the movie.
Old 09-10-15, 08:14 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts
Re: Kong: Skull Island (2017, Vogt-Roberts) S: Tom Hiddleston

I don't know how they'll size these two up properly... and I really don't care. I will watch the fuck out of a new Kong vs. Godzilla.
Old 09-10-15, 08:36 PM

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Kong is like 1/4 the size of big G.
Old 09-10-15, 08:57 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 239 Likes on 151 Posts

Originally Posted by islandclaws
I don't know how they'll size these two up properly... and I really don't care. I will watch the fuck out of a new Kong vs. Godzilla.
Old 09-10-15, 09:48 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Received 71 Likes on 51 Posts

When I first saw the headline, I thought they were making this Kong movie with Godzilla. So what are we talking about? 2020 release date at the earliest? I don't see any possible way that the two characters can even size up with each other unless this new Kong movie makes him 20 times bigger.
Old 09-10-15, 09:49 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 15 Likes on 13 Posts

Why do I have a feeling WB will just use the Batman v.s. Superman script as a template, having Kong and Godzilla battle it out the entire movie only to team up at the end against other threats. Then again, perhaps I am being foolish expecting that to happen in BVS ... sigh.
Old 09-10-15, 10:21 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 347 Likes on 247 Posts
Re: Skull Island (King Kong origin film) (2016)

Originally Posted by antspawn
So there's hope for a King Kong vs Godzilla?
Originally Posted by Solid Snake
Technically speaking... that could happen, no? Cuz Lengendary is the one who has Godzilla and not WB, right?

Literally though it would never happen.
Never say never.
Old 09-10-15, 10:55 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 3,203 Likes on 2,067 Posts

Originally Posted by islandclaws
By the time this movie is released it'll be King Kong V Godzilla V Batman. Starring Batman with cameos by Kong and Godzilla.
Old 09-11-15, 12:48 AM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by Shannon Nutt
If they want to make more money, change the name to "Kong v. Batman"
Originally Posted by GoldenJCJ
By the time this movie is released it'll be King Kong V Godzilla V Batman. Starring Batman with cameos by Kong and Godzilla.
Haha these two beat me to it.
Old 09-11-15, 08:31 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 309 Likes on 231 Posts

Originally Posted by Xndman
Kong is like 1/4 the size of one of big G's turds.
Fixed it for real size.
Old 09-11-15, 10:19 AM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Received 91 Likes on 64 Posts

Originally Posted by dsa_shea
Fixed it for real size.
Well, there goes my dream of this being part of the Universal Horror Cinematic Universe that they are allegedly creating.

Better yet, why not move this to Fox? Then Kong could knock over the Statue of Liberty at some point and be part of the Planet of the Apes Cinematic Universe!
Old 09-11-15, 10:21 AM

Received 4,579 Likes on 3,099 Posts
Re: Kong: Skull Island (2017, Vogt-Roberts) S: Tom Hiddleston, Brie Larson

Because this is all a setup to then cross over with Pacific Rim.
Old 09-11-15, 10:36 AM
HN
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 64 Likes on 39 Posts

Originally Posted by Kal-El
Haha these two beat me to it.
Except Batman should get top billing, everybody knows this.
Old 10-14-15, 05:14 PM
Banned

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
Godzilla vs. King Kong (2020)

It's happening for reals....

via Legendary:

KONG: SKULL ISLAND confirmed for 2017, GODZILLA 2 for 2018, GODZILLA VS. KONG for 2020

Burbank, CA – October 14, 2015 – Following Legendary’s and Warner Bros. Pictures’ 2014 success with the global reinvention of the Godzilla franchise, the companies have come together to create an epic, new shared cinematic franchise. All-powerful monsters become towering heroes for a new generation, revealing a mythology that brings together Godzilla and Legendary’s King Kong in an ecosystem of other giant super-species, both classic and new. Monarch, the human organization that uncovered Godzilla in the 2014 film, will expand their mission across multiple releases.

The announcement that the reinvention of monsters continues was made today by Legendary CEO, Thomas Tull and Kevin Tsujihara, Chairman and CEO, Warner Bros. The initial trio of films are 2017’s KONG: SKULL ISLAND, GODZILLA 2 in 2018 and then GODZILLA VS. KONG, arriving in theaters in 2020. While Legendary maintains its new home at Universal Pictures, the GODZILLA films remain in partnership with Warner Bros., who will now also distribute KONG as a part of this franchise. Production on KONG: SKULL ISLAND begins October 19th.

Warner Bros. and Legendary released Godzilla in May 2014 with an agreement to release Godzilla 2 on June 8, 2018. Both films feature the human Monarch organization. Shortly following Legendary’s pact with NBC Universal, Legendary acquired rights to additional classic characters from Toho’s Godzilla universe, including Rodan, Mothra, and King Ghidorah. This paved the way for developing a franchise centered around Monarch and anchored by Godzilla, King Kong, and other famous creatures.

When Legendary announced films centered on Godzilla and Kong, fans all over the world speculated these two characters might one day meet in the same film. Classic Toho monsters including King Ghidorah, Mothra, and Rodan, as announced at Comic-Con 2014, may also join the Legendary pantheon of giant monster mayhem going forward.

“Audiences really responded to Godzilla,” stated Tull. “Today, I’m excited to reveal that film was only the beginning of an epic new entertainment universe. As a lifelong fan of these characters, I’ve always wanted to see the ultimate showdown, and today we’re pleased to be announcing that and more.”

“Working with our partners at Legendary, we enjoyed tremendous creative and commercial success with `Godzilla,’” said Tsujihara. “It’s great to be able to revisit these characters and help create a franchise with so many creative possibilities for filmmakers. Fans love these big, globally iconic films and it doesn’t get any bigger than this.”
Old 10-14-15, 05:38 PM
DVD Talk Legend

re: Godzilla vs. Kong (2021, D: Wingard)

Holyfuckshityes. I am beyond ready for this showdown to happen again.

And please, people, enough with the fucking "how will a 25ft. tall ape fight a 300ft. tall radioactive lizard?" comments. It's a movie, not a documentary; they'll be appropriately scaled just as they were the last time they fought.

Last edited by islandclaws; 10-14-15 at 05:52 PM.
Old 10-14-15, 06:25 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 309 Likes on 231 Posts

So, Godzillito vs. King Kong?
Old 10-14-15, 06:33 PM
Inane Thread Master, 2018 TOTY

Received 912 Likes on 772 Posts

I still have to see the reinvention of Godzilla. I've been putting it off...
Old 10-14-15, 06:53 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

I guess they're not announcing Batman's involvement 'til 2018.
Old 10-14-15, 07:30 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 347 Likes on 247 Posts

2020? That's a long ass wait. If the other movies stink I guess this will never take action.
Old 10-14-15, 08:47 PM
Banned

Location: Conducting miss-aisle drills and listening to their rock n roll
Received 168 Likes on 126 Posts

Originally Posted by OldBoy
It was terrible. They fucked it up. They'll fuck this up too. Don't get your hopes up people. When 'round eye does Godzilla it sucks balls. Hell even the Japanese fucked it up more often than not.
Old 10-14-15, 10:02 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 15 Likes on 13 Posts

I don't know; these movies based on video games often don't turn out so well.

Old 10-14-15, 10:31 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 2,730 Likes on 1,885 Posts

Originally Posted by Mabuse
It was terrible. They fucked it up. They'll fuck this up too. Don't get your hopes up people.
Sadly, this is true.

I can't believe I'm saying this, but the 1998 Godzilla was better the 2014 Godzilla. As lousy as that movie was, at least Godzilla was on screen for more than a couple of minutes, and 95% of the movie wasn't Quicksilver wandering around in the dark looking for Scarlet Witch.
Old 10-14-15, 11:45 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Dude, GTFO. First off, that thing in the '98 film wasn't even Godzilla, and it only had a few more minutes of screen time. You're telling me Matthew Broderick flirting with the most forgettable lead actress to ever hit cinema screens is any better than Kick-Ass' blank stares for 90 minutes?

Secondly, while the human element was total shit through and through, Edwards at least struck a solid tone and delivered a fully realistic Godzilla. I agree I wanted more action, but I can't complain a bit about what we did get.
Old 10-15-15, 11:17 AM
Banned

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Originally Posted by OldBoy
Originally Posted by Mabuse
It was terrible. They fucked it up. They'll fuck this up too. Don't get your hopes up people. When 'round eye does Godzilla it sucks balls. Hell even the Japanese fucked it up more often than not.
Originally Posted by Josh-da-man
Sadly, this is true.

I can't believe I'm saying this, but the 1998 Godzilla was better the 2014 Godzilla. As lousy as that movie was, at least Godzilla was on screen for more than a couple of minutes, and 95% of the movie wasn't Quicksilver wandering around in the dark looking for Scarlet Witch.
Bullshit. 2014 G was the best thing to happen to Godzilla in a long ass time. It finally made G an actual creature instead of a caricature of itself.

While the humans, as already noted, sucked... Godzilla did not. Godzilla felt epic. And don't even try to bitch about the time he was in the movie. He was in it it enough and he was full of awesome moments. Toho and Sony, separately, ran G to the ground.

Aside from some abrupt couple(?) teases of moments of G being awesome... the film totally showed off G as he is supposed to be. A threat, a literal god of destruction, an animal, and just a grand presence for scale. G was awesome in the 2014 film.

Fuck. I want to see Mothra so bad.
Old 10-15-15, 12:35 PM
Banned

Location: Conducting miss-aisle drills and listening to their rock n roll
Received 168 Likes on 126 Posts

Originally Posted by Solid Snake

While the humans, as already noted, sucked... Godzilla did not.
By your own admission the humans sucked. And they received 99% of the screen time and G got 1%. So how exactly is it possible for the film to be good?

Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.