Reload this Page >

DC v Marvel - TV Shows

TV Talk Talk about Shows on TV

DC v Marvel - TV Shows

Old 10-03-15, 07:15 PM
Suspended; also need updated email

Received 14 Likes on 13 Posts
DC v Marvel - TV Shows

Marvel is clearly winning the movie war, who is winning the TV war ?

The Flash is arguably the best superhero show on TV but Daredevil was great too and showed a different more adult look to superhero tv shows

Gotham and Arrow are overall strong shows even though they are a bit inconsistent

Marvel Agents of Shield has a few great episodes but mainly lives in medicore waters.

Agent Carter is pretty good

Plenty of new shows coming out from both camps but i would say DC is winning at the moment
Old 10-03-15, 07:16 PM
DVD Talk God

Received 1,365 Likes on 927 Posts
Re: DC v Marvel - TV Shows

DC is winning right now, but the tide could easily change when the other Netflix Marvel properties start hitting.
Old 10-03-15, 07:49 PM
Banned

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

I personally hated the Flash show. Very mediocre drama. I enjoyed the tone it lived in and created cuz it just kept throwing so much so that aspect was fun. They did that right but the writing was crap. Dialogue, set up, the action, characterization, etc. It's a network and it couldn't live out of that crutch of network style scripting. Especially the dialogue, horrendous. Saying that... it did produce a great villain. Probably the best part of the whole thing. Grodd was interesting to a point. Reverse Flash and all he was was great. Everything else even Barry Allen was weak compared to him. I still don't see how people were bitching that he was soooo good that he had to be the Flash for the JL movie. I just found him to be standard in acting, again... Network TV. It's not really a format looking for quality acting. It just needs to get the job done. Saying that I also did like Joe. He brought some presence, while also falling into generic Network trappings sometimes, that actually had a soul to it.

W/ Marvel.... AoS is a piece of shit. Agent Carter was good at first but kept going down. It did get interesting on the upside. Just not very well done. Daredevil actually has a soul to it that the rest of the shows, from either camp w/ their other stuff, didn't. They've all got emotion and the whatnot but it's not earned. It's just presented and not grown into.

Both WB and Marvel have their issues w/ network TV. Marvel though has Netflix. That's like a creator's heaven for them. Not shackled by the mediocrity that Network TV is forced into. I hope Jessica Jones is great cuz we need strong female characters to give a damn.

Talking about female characters... Jesus. The Flash and Arrow love really make them generic as shit. Iris West was possibly the worst. Marvel w/ Carter's personality is defined from the movies and it was solid. the Netflix side ones were good too. One is more on the normal side of what you'd guess, Karen Page, but then you've got Claire Temple who was all kinds of good cuz of what she fell into. Also Vanessa, she brought a lot towards Fisk's world that made her someone you liked. Page may have been the weakest one, not in quality but in person, but I think she was a great unintended motivator for the events that took place.
Old 10-03-15, 09:35 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 1,150 Likes on 900 Posts

The DC shows are all pretty decent for what they are (at least from what I've seen). Marvel's network shows aren't the greatest but I think they'll continue to deliver quality programming via Netflix.
Old 10-03-15, 09:43 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 309 Likes on 211 Posts

Admittedly I haven't watched the Flash, but of all of these Daredevil is the best in my opinion. I only gave Agents of SHIELD a few episodes, but it was pretty bad at that point. I thought Agent Carter was boring. Gotham has been too all over the place.
Old 10-03-15, 10:18 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 806 Likes on 680 Posts

The Flash is the best superhero series on television, bar none. Arrow came back to Earth after an incredible season two but I still have hope it bounces back. Gotham is an interesting twist on the standard police procedural and looks to be getting better now that a team of villains has formed.

Marvel is not really playing in the same league. Agents of Shield is not a superhero show and has been all over the map in quality since it hit the air. Daredevil is on Netflix, which makes it a different kind of property that isn't technically television. Wake me when Daredevil shows up ABC.
Old 10-03-15, 11:04 PM
DVD Talk God

Received 1,365 Likes on 927 Posts

Netflix is television. Just a different delivery system.
Old 10-03-15, 11:05 PM
DVD Talk Godfather

Received 911 Likes on 646 Posts

Originally Posted by Solid Snake
I personally hated the Flash show. Very mediocre drama. I enjoyed the tone it lived in and created cuz it just kept throwing so much so that aspect was fun. They did that right but the writing was crap. Dialogue, set up, the action, characterization, etc. It's a network and it couldn't live out of that crutch of network style scripting. Especially the dialogue, horrendous. Saying that... it did produce a great villain. Probably the best part of the whole thing. Grodd was interesting to a point. Reverse Flash and all he was was great. Everything else even Barry Allen was weak compared to him. I still don't see how people were bitching that he was soooo good that he had to be the Flash for the JL movie. I just found him to be standard in acting, again... Network TV. It's not really a format looking for quality acting. It just needs to get the job done. Saying that I also did like Joe. He brought some presence, while also falling into generic Network trappings sometimes, that actually had a soul to it.

W/ Marvel.... AoS is a piece of shit. Agent Carter was good at first but kept going down. It did get interesting on the upside. Just not very well done. Daredevil actually has a soul to it that the rest of the shows, from either camp w/ their other stuff, didn't. They've all got emotion and the whatnot but it's not earned. It's just presented and not grown into.

Both WB and Marvel have their issues w/ network TV. Marvel though has Netflix. That's like a creator's heaven for them. Not shackled by the mediocrity that Network TV is forced into. I hope Jessica Jones is great cuz we need strong female characters to give a damn.

Talking about female characters... Jesus. The Flash and Arrow love really make them generic as shit. Iris West was possibly the worst. Marvel w/ Carter's personality is defined from the movies and it was solid. the Netflix side ones were good too. One is more on the normal side of what you'd guess, Karen Page, but then you've got Claire Temple who was all kinds of good cuz of what she fell into. Also Vanessa, she brought a lot towards Fisk's world that made her someone you liked. Page may have been the weakest one, not in quality but in person, but I think she was a great unintended motivator for the events that took place.
I think I believe the exact opposite of all of this. The Flash is just a fun show and doesn't pretend to be anything but. I think they nailed the cast, even Iris. She started off annoying but improved greatly by the end of season one. I mean she's got nothing on Laurel Lance. Talk about an annoying and useless character.

If Daredevil embodies freedom from "shackles" and "generic network trappings" then sign me up for more Flash and network shows. Daredevil managed to succeed at creating a cast of generic characters whom lacked any soul, so much so that it was more fun root for Fisk whom actually was interesting. That's a problem. The show also just reeked of being dark for the sake of being dark, because Netflix. Point being DD resides at the polar opposite end of the spectrum of network shows. It seems to try too hard at being edgy to prove it's not a network show than worrying about creating a lead you care about. Plot-wise, the show was solid (and DD himself is an interesting character) and showed a lot of promise, but it has a ways to go for me to care about Murdoch, Foggy et. al As it stands D'Onofrio and Rosario Dawson are the most interesting characters.

As for the rest, the Supergirl pilot showed a lot of promise. I'm behind on Arrow but it has its ups and downs. SHIELD started out awful and well, I bailed after a dozen (checked out a few toward the end of season 1 when everyone claimed it had improved greatly, and bailed again).

I liked the vibe and tone of Gotham, but only got halfway through season 1 when I lost all my recordings. I need to Netflix the rest.

I still want to check out Powers and Agent Carter.

I'd definitely give the edge to DC.

Also Marvel's animated offerings are just, ugly? Not sure if that's the right adjective but man the animation looks extremely dated which is odd to say about a Disney animated show.
Old 10-04-15, 12:45 AM
DVD Talk Godfather

Received 26 Likes on 14 Posts

I've had trouble getting in to the DC shows; I liked Arrow Season 1 well enough, yet never motivated to keep watching it and never watched more then a few episodes of Season 2. I still need to watch Flash given all the accolades, and will probably binge it on Netflix. Gave up on Gotham after 5 or 6 episodes. Supergirl pilot was a lot of fun though, I'll probably watch that.

Personally I think SHIELD turned in to a very good show and the only show from both companies that I watch week to week. Agent Carter was fun, and Daredevil was excellent. I think i'm biased though, I'm still totally sold on the Marvel Universe and how everything ties together. It's basically the way I would have wanted the comics translated to live action.
Old 10-04-15, 01:11 AM
DVD Talk God

Received 3,630 Likes on 2,604 Posts

DC easily has the edge when it comes to TV in amount of live action content and quality.

Arrow: Consistent performer for The CW

The Flash: Smash hit 1st season for The CW

Gotham: Moderate hit for FOX, but improving creatively

IZombie: Moderate hit for The CW

Super Girl: Highly touted and on the most watched regular network

DC's Lengends of Tomorrow: Spinoff of Arrow and The Flash

Lucifer: Coming midseason to FOX

Preacher: Coming next year to AMC

The only bust was Constantine, but even then Constantine is appearing on Arrow this coming season.

I've liked Marvel's TV output so far, but they are stronger in feature films.
Old 10-04-15, 01:18 AM
Banned

Originally Posted by Michael Corvin
I think I believe the exact opposite of all of this. The Flash is just a fun show and doesn't pretend to be anything but. I think they nailed the cast, even Iris. She started off annoying but improved greatly by the end of season one. I mean she's got nothing on Laurel Lance. Talk about an annoying and useless character.

If Daredevil embodies freedom from "shackles" and "generic network trappings" then sign me up for more Flash and network shows. Daredevil managed to succeed at creating a cast of generic characters whom lacked any soul, so much so that it was more fun root for Fisk whom actually was interesting. That's a problem. The show also just reeked of being dark for the sake of being dark, because Netflix. Point being DD resides at the polar opposite end of the spectrum of network shows. It seems to try too hard at being edgy to prove it's not a network show than worrying about creating a lead you care about. Plot-wise, the show was solid (and DD himself is an interesting character) and showed a lot of promise, but it has a ways to go for me to care about Murdock, Foggy et. al As it stands D'Onofrio and Rosario Dawson are the most interesting characters.

As for the rest, the Supergirl pilot showed a lot of promise. I'm behind on Arrow but it has its ups and downs. SHIELD started out awful and well, I bailed after a dozen (checked out a few toward the end of season 1 when everyone claimed it had improved greatly, and bailed again).

I liked the vibe and tone of Gotham, but only got halfway through season 1 when I lost all my recordings. I need to Netflix the rest.

I still want to check out Powers and Agent Carter.

I'd definitely give the edge to DC.

Also Marvel's animated offerings are just, ugly? Not sure if that's the right adjective but man the animation looks extremely dated which is odd to say about a Disney animated show.
Powers isn't Marvel, per se. It's owned by Marvel but it's not under the banner nor connected to that world. It's an independent project from it w/ no narrative strings to it.

I found Gotham to be so unimaginative in creating its world. I don't care if it changes the status quo of the characters. I just found how it did it to be so boring. Especially in the first season till I quit it at some point. Hammering into the viewer so much that this character will be THIS villain and etc. Just seemed desperate to me. It just doesn't create a real world for them. It's too convenient for the sake of convenience.

For the Flash? Fun/entertainment is one thing but critically speaking? It's got a lot of issues. The drama is so weak. Iris was an insanely weak character throughout. They literally made her a dumbshit. It wasn't near Lois Lane dumbshit but it was edging that line. Also how stupid Barry was w/ the simplest things. Like things that went beyond the comics. It just kept trapping him in mediocrity and then they show him being able to do much more amazing things w/ the same skills that he had in the trappings before but he couldn't solve them? Again... Network drama.

Daredevil pretty much has no choice but to be dark cuz that's where he's had the most success. it also adds variety to the visual universe that may or may not touch that character. He just couldn't be like the other Super Freaks.
Old 10-04-15, 09:38 AM
DVD Talk Legend & 2021 TOTY Winner

Received 737 Likes on 364 Posts

Originally Posted by DJariya
DC easily has the edge when it comes to TV in amount of live action content and quality.

Arrow: Consistent performer for The CW

The Flash: Smash hit 1st season for The CW

Gotham: Moderate hit for FOX, but improving creatively

IZombie: Moderate hit for The CW

Super Girl: Highly touted and on the most watched regular network

DC's Lengends of Tomorrow: Spinoff of Arrow and The Flash

Lucifer: Coming midseason to FOX

Preacher: Coming next year to AMC

The only bust was Constantine, but even then Constantine is appearing on Arrow this coming season.

I've liked Marvel's TV output so far, but they are stronger in feature films.
Preacher is creator owned. DC comics has nothing to do the TV adaptation.
Old 10-04-15, 09:48 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Location: Formerly known as Groucho AND Bandoman/Death Moans, Iowa
Received 371 Likes on 265 Posts

Powers isn't Marvel, per se. It's owned by Marvel but it's not under the banner nor connected to that world. It's an independent project from it w/ no narrative strings to it.
Powers is owned 100% by Bendis/Oeming. Marvel just publishes it through its Icon imprint. Marvel set that up to reward it's bigger names and to keep them in house, rather than taking projects to Image (where Powers actually started.
Old 10-04-15, 10:03 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 477 Likes on 350 Posts

Agents of Shield shook off that dull first half of the first season and has been really good ever since.

Daredevil was as good as or better than any of the DC shows.

Agent Carter was a really good period piece and was very entertaining.

Arrow I've never watched. I have no interest.

Gotham I like. Good show.

The Flash I've seen a handful of episodes and like enough to want to watch the rest of the first season on blu ray.

So at this point it's probably a tie.
Old 10-04-15, 11:39 AM
DVD Talk Godfather

Received 911 Likes on 646 Posts

Iris was an insanely weak character throughout. They literally made her a dumbshit. It wasn't near Lois Lane dumbshit but it was edging that line.
What Lois are we talking about? Smallville? Lois was fine there(other than the 168 concussions), it was Lana that was dumb/annoying as shit.
Old 10-04-15, 01:30 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Solid Snake is just about the only person I know that stridently dislikes the Flash.
Old 10-04-15, 03:53 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 1,150 Likes on 900 Posts

Originally Posted by PhantomStranger
Marvel is not really playing in the same league. Agents of Shield is not a superhero show and has been all over the map in quality since it hit the air. Daredevil is on Netflix, which makes it a different kind of property that isn't technically television. Wake me when Daredevil shows up ABC.
Yeah I agree with this. In some ways it's not really fair to compare the Marvel shows airing on ABC to the DC ones since really Agents of SHIELD and Agent Carter while both taking place in the same universe as the MCU films aren't really superhero shows. To date the only superhero series they've done in live action is Daredevil which is as good as any of the DC shows.
Old 10-04-15, 04:36 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 546 Likes on 340 Posts

Not a Superhero fan at all (comics, movies, television) and the only current show I watch is iZombie. I am looking forward to Preacher but the other new shows don't interest me. Lucifer I might have given a chance but since it is on FOX I won't bother.
Old 10-04-15, 07:19 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts
Everyone here does not seem to know a very important basic fact of life, so I am going to explain it to them: The Flash has a talking psychic gorilla. This inherently make it superior to every other television program ever made. I do not make these rules, my friends. This is simply a fact. If one show has a pilot directed by Stanley Kubrick based on a William Shakespeare play, and the other is directed by Tommy Wiseau and written by Akiva Goldsman, but the latter has a talking psychic gorilla, it is a better program by default. This is scientific fact. It is not up to me.

I am glad to have cleared this up, and I am sorry if I have disillusioned anyone. I speak only the truth, however harsh.
Old 10-05-15, 06:59 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Originally Posted by hanshotfirst1138
Everyone here does not seem to know a very important basic fact of life, so I am going to explain it to them: The Flash has a talking psychic gorilla. This inherently make it superior to every other television program ever made. I do not make these rules, my friends. This is simply a fact. If one show has a pilot directed by Stanley Kubrick based on a William Shakespeare play, and the other is directed by Tommy Wiseau and written by Akiva Goldsman, but the latter has a talking psychic gorilla, it is a better program by default. This is scientific fact. It is not up to me.

I am glad to have cleared this up, and I am sorry if I have disillusioned anyone. I speak only the truth, however harsh.
Preach it. When I first heard they were going with Grodd, I never imagined they would get as close to the comic book character as they did. I expected Hollywood to turn him into a mindless, evil gorilla wrecking havoc. Now they did remove Gorilla City...
Old 10-05-15, 07:07 PM
Banned

Received 376 Likes on 295 Posts

Preach it. When I first heard they were going with Grodd, I never imagined they would get as close to the comic book character as they did. I expected Hollywood to turn him into a mindless, evil gorilla wrecking havoc. Now they did remove Gorilla City...

Personally, I'm waiting for Detective Chimp to get a show.
Old 10-06-15, 01:54 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I dunno... Tie?

Daredevil: Best of the best.
Agents of Shield: Some great episodes, some mediocre...
Agent Carter: Consistently really good. Just waiting a bit more depth
Hulk: Great when I was a kid... but did not hold up well.

Flash: Consistently has the villain cast for the heroes to work off of.
Arrow: Best group of heroes in their line-up.
iZombie: Fun. Exactly what I want to watch
Gotham: Slow start with little pay-off until the end of the first season. 2nd season looks to have fixed most of the errors they made.

Dead:
Constantine: Could have been great is they had their shackles removed...
Smallville: If the show was just the season openers and the finales then it would have been a great show... but everything else was painful fillers
Human Target: 5 star first season and 1 star second season... not sure what happened there.
Lois & Clark: Had moments... but mostly "meh"

Others:
Walking Dead: Love it.
Fear the Walking Dead: Unless the finale was epic, I'm thinking this was a giant creative flop.
Powers: Good for what it is, but really hamstrung by a tiny budget.
Old 10-06-15, 02:02 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Location: Formerly known as Groucho AND Bandoman/Death Moans, Iowa
Received 371 Likes on 265 Posts

I don't know, if you're going to reach back as far as Hulk for Marvel, you might as well include Shazam and Wonder Woman for DC.
Old 10-06-15, 02:19 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 15 Likes on 13 Posts

I like the Flash more than any of the others. Daredevil is a close second.

I can't stand Agents of Shield, and Gotham is good once and a while.
Old 10-06-15, 02:40 PM
Banned

Originally Posted by Michael Corvin
What Lois are we talking about? Smallville? Lois was fine there(other than the 168 concussions), it was Lana that was dumb/annoying as shit.
Lois Lane in her aweome pop culture nonsense. She's a great character but when I think of dumb women in anything comic related... I go to Lois Lane... the woman who couldn't fucking tell Superman was next to her the whole goddamn time.

Solid Snake is just about the only person I know that stridently dislikes the Flash.
I admire what it tries but it's really really sucky w/ dialogue for the most part. Which in part isn't helped by the average acting from most of them. The way the characters themselves speak is cringe worthy to me cuz it's got that Network TV feel to it. Overly dramatic and such. It doesn't create a world that I can believe exists. Iris West was damn near Lois Lane stupid bitch levels, if not already there. There's all this emotion but it's w/o depth too.

I can see where it can be entertaining and it is in some bits but it's rouch. It's ambitions are great so that's awesome but they need to really think about cranking out great scripts w/ a show that has a great sense of world building and a nice production along w/ it. Add in that while the show does big things, it still feels small a lot of the time. I'm also weirded out how people think the guy playing Flash is some kind of awesome actor. From what? It's not the scripts. He's alright. He's not an amazing actor. To me, outside of his superheroic nature, he just feels like generic TV guy going through some shit.

Search this Thread

Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.