Search
TV Talk Talk about Shows on TV

Dr. Ken (ABC) -- Series Thread -- S: Ken Jeong

Search this Thread

Old 10-02-15, 06:38 AM

Received 4,584 Likes on 3,103 Posts
Dr. Ken (ABC) -- Series Thread -- S: Ken Jeong

SERIES PREMIERE

A SELF-DESCRIBED "FIVE FOOT FIVE INCHES OF FURY," "DR. KEN" BEGINS OCTOBER 2 ON ABC

"Pilot" - Ken is a cranky but lovable HMO doctor juggling medicine and parenting who realizes that even when he's right, his unorthodox approach is often wrong. Allison, his wife and a therapist, helps keep him in check while juggling responsibilities with their two kids -- Dave, their youngest, is always making things interesting with his quirky attitude, plus their teenage daughter, Molly, keeping them on their toes. Meanwhile at the clinic, Dr. Ken's staff includes his loyal, but oh-so-irritating staff, including a sharp tongued receptionist; a faithful nurse who is a confidante and partner-in-crime; a sweet, naive resident who's relentless optimism and quest for romance are a constant source of curiosity and irritation; and his nemesis, the hospital administrator, who never misses a chance to put the screws to Dr. Ken and his staff. The series premiere of "Dr. Ken" airs on FRIDAY, OCTOBER 2 (8:30-9:00 p.m. ET/PT) on the ABC Television Network.

In the first episode, Ken is stressed out at work over his "whining, complaining" patients so he needs a therapy session with Allison; while back at home, Ken is nervous about Molly's driving test - "What if she doesn't fail!"

"Dr. Ken" stars Ken Jeong as Dr. Ken, Suzy Nakamura as Allison, Tisha Campbell Martin as Damona, Jonathan Slavin as Clark, Kate Simses as Julie, Albert Tsai as Dave, Krista Marie Yu as Molly, and Dave Foley as Pat.

Guest cast: Stephen Tobolowsky as Joe, Barak Hardley as Cellmate, Alonzo Bodden as Bouncer, Rene D. Moran as Narc.

"Pilot" was written by Jared Stern and directed by Scott Ellis. Executive producers are Mike Sikowitz, John Davis and John Fox. Ken Jeong and Mike O'Connell are co-executive producers. "Dr. Ken" is produced by Sony Pictures Television and ABC Studios.

<iframe width="560" height="315" src="https://www.youtube.com/embed/OSfdmOgl_fo" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen></iframe>
Old 10-02-15, 09:47 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Re: Dr. Ken (ABC) -- Series Thread -- S: Ken Jeong

Sounds like a prescription for a bland, shitty show that will last one season. But who knows, I can't believe people watch The Big Bang Theory.
Old 10-02-15, 11:04 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 1,101 Likes on 797 Posts

The guy's entire career is menacing lunatic, but now he's supposed to be a lovable crank.

Looks like it has a really good cast though, and the return of Bert!!
Old 10-02-15, 11:52 AM

I don't know about this one. I think Ken only works in small doses.
Old 10-02-15, 12:37 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

It sounds like they came up with the Clinic staff while watching Nurse Jackie.
Old 10-02-15, 12:58 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 283 Likes on 181 Posts

Originally Posted by Count Dooku
The guy's entire career is menacing lunatic, but now he's supposed to be a lovable crank.

Looks like it has a really good cast though, and the return of Bert!!
So he's just supposed to himself in this show then, right? I assume everyone knows he actually was a medical doctor before he went into acting.

I like him, but as others have said, in small doses. Can't see myself trying this.
Old 10-02-15, 01:43 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Location: Formerly known as Groucho AND Bandoman/Death Moans, Iowa
Received 372 Likes on 266 Posts

Haaaaaaaammmm, girl!
Old 10-02-15, 10:16 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 603 Likes on 435 Posts

Originally Posted by Osiris3657
So he's just supposed to himself in this show then, right? I assume everyone knows he actually was a medical doctor before he went into acting.

I like him, but as others have said, in small doses. Can't see myself trying this.
That was mentioned every commercial I saw for this wretched excuse for a comedy.

Tischa Campbell and Stephen Toblowski were in this and they deserve better.
Old 10-02-15, 10:32 PM

Received 17 Likes on 13 Posts

this was cringe inducing - not funny in the slightest
Old 10-02-15, 11:45 PM
DVD Talk Platinum Edition

I wasn't crazy about the pilot. I wanted to like it, because I liked Ken on Community and a few other things. I have my DVR set, I'll give it a few episodes to see if it improves.
Old 10-03-15, 01:04 AM

Originally Posted by Giles
this was cringe inducing - not funny in the slightest
Didn't watch but expected this exact response from someone who did.
Old 10-03-15, 02:04 AM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 117 Likes on 79 Posts

I didn't think it was total garbage, but that laugh track might be what makes me stop watching. It didn't even sound like real people laughing, and it happened after EVERY SINGLE LINE!
Old 10-03-15, 04:59 PM

Received 17 Likes on 13 Posts

Originally Posted by JTH182
I didn't think it was total garbage, but that laugh track might be what makes me stop watching. It didn't even sound like real people laughing, and it happened after EVERY SINGLE LINE!
throw in some genital jokes it could be mistaken as a Chuck Lorre production.
Old 10-06-15, 02:48 AM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Received 19 Likes on 14 Posts

Yeah this was pretty bad. Jeong is only funny when he is completely off the rails and this character is as generic as corn flakes.
Old 10-06-15, 05:40 AM
DVD Talk Platinum Edition

Received 149 Likes on 103 Posts

Based on the cast (Jeong, Slavin, Foley) I was hoping I was gonna enjoy this. But I had to turn it off after 2 minutes, that laugh track was ridiculous. When it started, I seriously thought the laugh track was intentionally bad, like we were watching a crappy sitcom that the characters on the show were watching.
Old 10-06-15, 01:08 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 650 Likes on 450 Posts

Originally Posted by joltman
...that laugh track was ridiculous.
Technically, it's a live studio audience. The audience laughter could've been "sweetened" with a laugh track during post though.

This site lists shows that have tapings for live studio audiences coming up, including for Dr. Ken.
http://www.tvtickets.com/overview.htm
Old 10-06-15, 03:40 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 949 Likes on 723 Posts

I didn't hate it as much as some of you (for some reason, I don't pay attention to laugh tracks. I guess it's the way I'm wired. I often hear people talking about the score of a movie, and I swear I don't even notice it), but there's a lot of room for improvement. For example, when Ken did his Johnny Carson "I did not know that" bit, I said to myself "that would have been relevant 20 years ago".

I'll stick with it, only because I work for an Asian American Film Festival and Ken and Suzy Nakumura are going to be attending and screening an episode of the show.

By the way, I saw a headshot of the actress who plays the daughter:

I was getting ready for the visit from Chris Hanson (IMDb does not list her age), but a visit to her personal website reveals that she holds a BFA degree from Carnegie Mellon, which should place her somewhere in her early 20s. Whew!
Old 10-10-15, 06:09 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Did everyone give up on this show? I liked the second episode a LOT more than the first, enough to make this a series-record option on the DVR.

It's far from perfect, a lot of jokes fell really flat. Particularly when Ken tries to be "urban". Is this a Korean thing? My film festival director is a Korean American in her early 40s, and occasionally she makes cringe-worthy references to her "peeps" or calls our team a "posse".

But the good moments outweighed the bad this time. I loved the opening where Dr. Ken is arguing with a woman who's taking her medical advice from a guy at Whole Foods. Dr. Ken: "Yeah, you know what they say. Medical school is for people who can't cut it as a GROCERY STORE BAGGER."

Also the argument between Clark and Ken. Paraphrasing:
C: I thought it was FOUR strikes and you're out
K: It's baseball! Three strikes!
C: I don't follow sports
K: But it's baseball!
C: I was home schooled
K: Where?
C: Cooperstown New York
Old 04-23-16, 02:19 PM
DVD Talk Legend

So, I'm probably the only one on this board (or perhaps the entire United States) who stuck with all 22 episodes. Last night was the season (series?) finale, with a very meta plot of Ken considering giving up medicine for comedy. They can choose to continue this direction on the off chance it gets renewed, or end it there.

While never fall-on-the-floor funny, I did enjoy aspects of it, particularly Dave Foley, the couple playing Ken's parents, and the barely legal Krista Marie Yu.
Old 04-23-16, 10:31 PM
Suspended

We watched them all. Mainly because of how fucking funny Foley is.
Old 09-23-16, 07:29 AM

Received 4,584 Likes on 3,103 Posts

SEASON PREMIERE

KEN JEONG RETURNS AS THE HILARIOUS DOCTOR FOR A SECOND SEASON OF ABC'S 'DR. KEN,' FRIDAY, SEPTEMBER 23

Ken Jeong returns for a second season as the titular character in "Dr. Ken" and continues to be the hilarious general practitioner we all know and love. He has a smart and beautiful wife, two decent kids and a loyal but sometimes irritating support staff in a job where he gets to help people on a daily basis, all the while using his unique sense of humor to get him through the day. The series premiere of "Dr. Ken" airs on FRIDAY, SEPTEMBER 23 (8:30-9:00 p.m. EDT), on the ABC Television Network.

"Allison's Career Move" - When a job opportunity opens up at Welltopia, Pat thinks Allison would be perfect for it, but Ken isn't so sure he wants to work so closely with his wife. Molly is stunned with her low SAT scores, and Dave has some ideas as to how to hide the results from their parents. Clark asks Damona's help in trying to find out what Clark's boyfriend, Connor, does for a living. Meanwhile, Ken's father, D.K., makes a surprise announcement.

"Dr. Ken" stars Ken Jeong as Dr. Ken, Suzy Nakamura as Allison, Tisha Campbell Martin as Damona, Jonathan Slavin as Clark, Albert Tsai as Dave, Krista Marie Yu as Molly, Dana Lee as D.K. and Dave Foley as Pat.

Guest cast: Stephen Guarino as Connor, David Lengel as Mr. Davis, Julie Brister as receptionist, Jessie Cohen as yoga instructor.

"Allison's Career Move" was written by Mike Sikowitz and directed by Phill Lewis. The executive producers are Mike Sikowitz, Ken Jeong, John Fox & John Davis, Mary Fitzgerald. Mike O'Connell, Jim Brandon & Brian Singleton are co-executive producers. "Dr. Ken" is produced by Sony Pictures Television and ABC Studios.
Old 09-23-16, 11:20 AM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 129 Likes on 103 Posts

This actually got renewed? I most likely will not be watching this season. I gave it a full season shot last year. I just don't find Ken funny in this. Albert Tsai, Jonathan Slavin, and Dave Foley are pretty funny on the show.
Old 09-23-16, 08:31 PM
DVD Talk Legend

I don't think you're the only one who's surprised it was renewed. The "meta" season finale, where Dr. Ken gives up medicine to become a comedian was clearly intended to be a series finale.
Old 02-25-17, 08:07 PM
DVD Talk Legend

I still watch this show, but it's supposed to be lightweight Friday night fare. Can't believe we got a "very special" Dr. Ken this week...