Go Back  DVD Talk Forum > Entertainment Discussions > Movie Talk
Reload this Page >

‘Terminator’ Sequels On Hold Indefinitely Despite Worldwide Box Office Success

Community
Search
Movie Talk A Discussion area for everything movie related including films In The Theaters

Search this Thread

Old 10-01-15, 08:32 PM

Received 33 Likes on 23 Posts

Posted on Thursday, October 1st, 2015 by Ethan Anderton

Even though Arnold Schwarzenegger has touted the iconic line “I’ll be back” in the Terminator franchise over and over again, it turns out that might not end up being true after this latest round of the sci-fi film series.

This past summer, Terminator: Genisys didn’t do so hot at the domestic box office, and the future of the series was uncertain. But its performance in international markets, especially China, indicated that the franchise continuing might still be a possibility. However, a small mention of future Terminator sequels has revealed Paramount Pictures has put any future Terminator sequels on hold indefinitely.

In a recent report about movie financiers at THR (via The Playlist), there’s some talk about Terminator: Genisys still losing money even after raking in $440 million worldwide. That’s a good chunk of change, but with a budget that came in at $155 million before marketing came into play, that made any profit a little difficult to obtain for Paramount Pictures and Skydance.

And it’s in that explanation that the trade says “the notion of a Terminator universe is on hold indefinitely.” That doesn’t necessarily mean that the franchise is dead, but Paramount probably won’t be rushing into Terminator 6 or Terminator 7 anytime soon, despite previously setting release dates in 2017 and 2019.

However, that doesn’t mean we won’t see another attempt at a Terminator movie come together. The rights to the franchise revert back to James Cameron in 2019, and if Paramount wants to make the most out of the rights to the iconic title while they have them, it might be worth taking one more crack at a proper Terminator. But if fans still have the bad taste in their mouth from Terminator: Genisys, then they may not be all that interested.

At this point, it may be time to just let the Terminator franchise die. The track record for good sequels is reason enough to just let the franchise go away for awhile until James Cameron sells the rights to another studio and they decide to remake the first movie without Arnold Schwarzenegger involved at all. That kind of thing is probably inevitable, and it this point, I’d much rather see Schwarzenegger do something different anyway.

It’s a tough market out there right now, and it seems that sequels may become a little less abundant, even when the overseas numbers indicate success. Pacific Rim 2 was just taken off the 2017 release calendar at Universal even though the studio is still reportedly dedicated to making it happen at some point. Maybe Paramount will end up supporting the Terminator franchise just the same.

Anyone out there disappointed by this news?

http://www.slashfilm.com/terminator-...-indefinitely/
Old 10-01-15, 08:34 PM
Banned by request

Received 778 Likes on 582 Posts
Re: ‘Terminator’ Sequels On Hold Indefinitely Despite Worldwide Box Office Success

Thank goodness. End it now.
Old 10-01-15, 08:34 PM
TGM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 401 Likes on 250 Posts
Re: ‘Terminator’ Sequels On Hold Indefinitely Despite Worldwide Box Office Success

try again in another 15 years when Arnie is really really REALLY old.
Old 10-01-15, 08:41 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 347 Likes on 247 Posts

What I find messed up is how Arnie dissed Terminator Salvation saying it's not a good movie and Genesyd not pulling any strong strings either.
Old 10-01-15, 09:48 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 3,196 Likes on 2,063 Posts

This series has started and stalled so many times I don't even think the filmmakers know what the movies timeline is anymore.

Frankly, Arnold doesn't have many more films in him and playing an ageless robot is becoming absurd at this point. Just let the series die already. They obviously can't get their shit together with this series.
Old 10-01-15, 09:51 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 211 Likes on 178 Posts

Old 10-01-15, 09:58 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 67 Likes on 58 Posts

I want someone to travel back in time to prevent Terminator 3, Salvation, and Genisys from ever being made.

(And also prevent the Star Wars prequels and SEs while they are at it)
Old 10-01-15, 10:03 PM
DVD Talk Godfather

Received 182 Likes on 120 Posts

Old 10-02-15, 12:29 AM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 398 Likes on 266 Posts

The silver lining: Hopefully a proper Blu Ray box set for all 5 films can come together.

I liked Genisys and Rise of the Machines. Didn't care for Salvation. But when you look at them in contrast to 1&2, its clear they need to stop. Its just a shame Eddie Furlong never got his act together enough to follow up T2. Say what you will about both of them as actors, but Arnie and Eddie had undeniable chemistry. Furlong coming back for T3 would have elevated the picture. IMO.
Old 10-02-15, 01:49 AM
DVD Talk Reviewer & TOAT Winner

Received 331 Likes on 250 Posts

We REALLY don't need any more Terminator movies. #3 was kind of like grasping at straws, and I haven't seen the other 2 yet.
Old 10-02-15, 08:19 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 443 Likes on 250 Posts

I would have been glad to hear that if I thought they were going to make a sci-fi original instead, but I doubt that is going to happen
Old 10-02-15, 09:52 AM
DVD Talk Godfather

Received 26 Likes on 14 Posts

I liked Genisys enough that I wish the franchise continued, just wish it had a better cast.
Old 10-02-15, 10:08 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

About the best that can be said for the non-Cameron movies is that they're better than Alien 3, Resurrection, etc. The only halfway decent thing to come out of the franchise after T2 was The Sarah Connor Chronicles.
Old 10-02-15, 10:10 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 1,154 Likes on 901 Posts

Genisys honestly was a decent film. Not as good as the two Cameron films but still entertaining. I'm curious how many people in here trashing it have actually seen it because most people in the threads for the film were bitching about how it looked like the worst thing ever and how they were never going to see it.
Old 10-02-15, 10:13 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 427 Likes on 291 Posts

I saw it and enjoyed it. But unfortunately tent pole pictures these days need to make 500 million bajillion dollars to "break even"
Old 10-02-15, 10:46 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 324 Likes on 242 Posts

Genisys was a lot better than I thought it would be, given all those awful trailers we saw for it.

That said, yeah - let it sit on the shelf for 5 to 10 years and then start thinking about a total reboot - with no ties to the previous movies/TV series. And when they do a reboot, they need to design/tweak it so they haven't painted themselves into a corner with the timeline...that's the biggest problem with almost every new incarnation of this franchise.
Old 10-02-15, 11:14 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 270 Likes on 170 Posts

Go for broke...

Alien v Predator v Terminator

Old 10-02-15, 11:19 AM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 1,191 Likes on 917 Posts

Originally Posted by Mike86
Genisys honestly was a decent film. Not as good as the two Cameron films but still entertaining. I'm curious how many people in here trashing it have actually seen it because most people in the threads for the film were bitching about how it looked like the worst thing ever and how they were never going to see it.
Old 10-02-15, 11:21 AM
DVD Talk Godfather

Received 182 Likes on 120 Posts

Digitally remove Michael Biehn & Linda Hamilton from the first 2 films and replace them with Jai Courtney & Emilia Clarke. Now that would be awesome.
Old 10-02-15, 11:27 AM
DVD Talk Ultimate Edition

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by stingermck
I saw it and enjoyed it. But unfortunately tent pole pictures these days need to make 500 million bajillion dollars to "break even"
Yeah, the whole we now have to make more than 3 times our budget just to "break even" boggles the mind. Either that or executives are lying completely about budget numbers. I'd lean towards the latter.
Old 10-02-15, 11:45 AM

Received 122 Likes on 84 Posts

I might have seen Genisys (despite the bad reviews) had the trailers not given away all the twists.
Old 10-02-15, 11:55 AM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

Originally Posted by dhmac
I want someone to travel back in time to prevent Terminator 3, Salvation, and Genisys from ever being made.

(And also prevent the Star Wars prequels and SEs while they are at it)
I will tolerate all of the prequels, sequels, spin-offs, inter-quels, mid-quels, side stories, remakes, reboots, spinoffs, new fans, old fans, actors, directors, digital, 35mm, whatever. Just for the fucking love of God give me the one thing I would sell my soul to fucking Lucifer for, the originals done properly. I don't mind bad sequels that sully the memory of the originals, but don't fuck with the originals.

Originally Posted by Chadm
The silver lining: Hopefully a proper Blu Ray box set for all 5 films can come together.
If it can get us T1 with the damned mono, it'd be worth it.
Old 10-02-15, 03:47 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

Originally Posted by Mike86
I watched it twice and I maintain it is easily the biggest piece of shit in the series. The only actor having fun was Arnold; everyone else was either horribly miscast or dry as toast.

This series should have ended with T2.
Old 10-03-15, 01:11 PM
DVD Talk Platinum Edition

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I think Genisys was better than Salvation, but that's not saying much.
Old 10-04-15, 04:57 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 203 Likes on 157 Posts

While I hope this is true, I see them making another one of these before spending the same amount of money on an original sci-fi script.

Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.