Community
Search
TV Talk Talk about Shows on TV

Code Black (CBS) -- Series Discussion Thread -- S: Marcia Gay Harden

Search this Thread

Old 09-30-15, 07:00 AM

Received 4,579 Likes on 3,099 Posts
Code Black (CBS) -- Series Discussion Thread -- S: Marcia Gay Harden

DR. LEANNE RORISH IMMEDIATELY PUTS HER FOUR NEW RESIDENTS TO WORK ON THEIR FIRST DAY AT ANGELS MEMORIAL, THE BUSIEST, MOST NOTORIOUS HOSPITAL ER IN THE NATION, ON THE SERIES PREMIERE OF "CODE BLACK," WEDNESDAY, SEPT. 30

Marcia Gay Harden, Bonnie Somerville, Raza Jaffrey, Luis Guzman, Melanie Chandra, Harry Ford, Benjamin Hollingsworth and William Allen Young Star

"Pilot" - Residency Director Dr. Leanne Rorish (Marcia Gay Harden)
puts her four new first year residents to work immediately on their first day at Angels Memorial Hospital, in the busiest, most notorious hospital ER in the nation, on the series premiere of CODE BLACK, Wednesday, Sept. 30 (10:00-11:00 PM, ET/PT) on the CBS Television Network. Marcia Gay Harden, Bonnie Somerville, Raza Jaffrey, Luis Guzman, Melanie Chandra, Harry Ford, Benjamin Hollingsworth and William Allen Young star.

CODE BLACK is a heart-pounding medical drama that takes place in the busiest, most notorious ER in the nation, where the staggering influx of patients can outweigh the limited resources available to the extraordinary doctors and nurses whose job is to treat them all - creating a condition known as Code Black. At the heart of the ER's controlled chaos is Residency Director Dr. Leanne Rorish, renowned for successfully performing high-risk procedures in Center Stage, the trauma area reserved for the most critical cases. Her four new first-year residents are Christa Lorenson, Malaya Pineda, Mario Savetti and Angus Leighton. Leanne's confidante, Jesse Sallander, is an amiable seen-it-all senior nurse who manages the residents. Also working in the ER is Dr. Neal Hudson, an excellent physician who sometimes disagrees with Leanne's "cowboy" approach, and Dr. Rollie Guthrie, the energetic, longest-serving attending. In Center Stage, life is measured in seconds, and these heroic doctors and nurses operate with speed and skill within an overwhelmed system to treat the crowds of people who are often there for one of two reasons: to die or to receive a life-saving miracle.

REGULAR CAST:

Marcia Gay Harden (Dr. Leanne Rorish)
Bonnie Somerville (Christa Lorenson)
Raza Jaffrey (Dr. Neal Hudson)
Luis Guzman (Jesse Sallander)
Melanie Chandra (Malaya Pineda)
Harry Ford (Angus Leighton)
Benjamin Hollingsworth (Mario Savetti)
William Allen Young (Dr. Rollie Guthrie)

WRITTEN BY: Executive Producer Michael Seitzman

DIRECTED BY: David Semel

CREW INFORMATION:
· Brett Mahoney as EP
· David Semel as EP/DIR (Pilot)
· Linda Goldstein-Knowlton as EP
· Marti Noxon as EP
· Michael Seitzman as CRTR/EP
· Ryan McGarry as EP

<iframe width="560" height="315" src="https://www.youtube.com/embed/nJtIpPBkyCE" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen></iframe>
Old 09-30-15, 12:41 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 324 Likes on 242 Posts
Re: Code Black (CBS) -- Series Discussion Thread -- S: Marcia Gay Harden

Oh goody, just what TV was missing...a medical drama.
Old 09-30-15, 12:46 PM
DVD Talk God

Received 3,636 Likes on 2,609 Posts

http://deadline.com/2015/03/marcia-g...bs-1201392452/

Maggie Grace was originally cast in the lead and Harden was a supporting character. But Grace was dropped and Harden was given the lead.

CBS probably realized they needed the 56 year old Harden to cater to their "older" demographic.
Old 09-30-15, 02:11 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 49 Likes on 38 Posts

Originally Posted by DJariya
http://deadline.com/2015/03/marcia-g...bs-1201392452/

Maggie Grace was originally cast in the lead and Harden was a supporting character. But Grace was dropped and Harden was given the lead.

CBS probably realized they needed the 56 year old Harden to cater to their "older" demographic.
I don't think Maggie was dropped. I think Marcia ate her. Have you seen Maggie recently? Think about it.
Old 09-30-15, 05:39 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 723 Likes on 590 Posts

Maggie Grace is a mediocre actress.

Melanie Chandra who played the Paki girl that Jack Black was in love with in the Brink is on this show.

Old 09-30-15, 09:56 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I am not sure I need to add a CBS medical procedural to my viewing lineup.

I do like Luis Guzman though.
Old 10-01-15, 12:40 AM
DVD Talk Platinum Edition

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by Jadzia
I am not sure I need to add a CBS medical procedural to my viewing lineup.

I do like Luis Guzman though.
I was thinking the same thing, and it reminded me of St. Elsewhere, but it was good to se Luis Guzman in a different role.
Old 09-28-16, 06:48 AM

COLONEL ETHAN WILLIS JOINS THE ANGELS MEMORIAL TEAM AND TAKES A HARROWING HELICOPTER RIDE WITH DR. MIKE LEIGHTON TO SAVE SHARK BITE VICTIMS IN MALIBU, ON THE SECOND SEASON PREMIERE OF "CODE BLACK," WEDNESDAY, SEPT. 28

Rob Lowe Joins the Cast as Military Doctor Colonel Ethan Willis

"Second Year" - Colonel Ethan Willis (Rob Lowe)
joins the team at Angels Memorial from the Department of Defense and takes Dr. Mike Leighton on a harrowing helicopter ride to save shark bite victims in Malibu, on the second season premiere of CODE BLACK, Wednesday, Sept. 28 (10:00-11:00PM, ET/PT), on the CBS Television Network. Rob Lowe joins the series as Colonel Ethan Willis who comes on board at the hospital to teach the staff new techniques and technologies used on the combat field.

REGULAR CAST:

Marcia Gay Harden (Dr. Leanne Rorish)
Boris Kodjoe (Dr. Will Campbell)
Melanie Chandra (Dr. Malaya Pineda)
Harry Ford (Dr. Angus Leighton)
Benjamin Hollingsworth (Dr. Mario Savetti)
Jillian Murray (Dr. Heather Pinkney)
William Allen Young (Dr. Rollie Guthrie)
WITH: Luis Guzman (Jesse Sallander)
AND: Rob Lowe (Col. Ethan Willis)

RECURRING CAST:

Tommy Dewey (Dr. Mike Leighton)
Noah Gray-Cabey (Dr. Elliot Han)
Emily Tyra (Dr. Noa Kean)
Nafessa Williams (Dr. Charlotte Piel)

GUEST CAST:

Angela Relucio (Nurse Risa)
Emily Nelson (Hannah Reynolds)
Steven Culp (Mr. Leighton)
George Lako (Flight Medic #1)
Brandon Lynch (Flight Medic #2)
Emma Engle (Kaya)
Madalyn Horcher (Jaydin)
Nefe Iredia (Paramedic)
Robert Romanus (Henry Underwood)
Mike Erwin (Randall Underwood)
Bianca Collins (Chelsea Underwood)
Julie Ann Emery (Debbie Kobling)
Angela Fornero (Post-Op Nurse)
Kristina Guerrero (Field Reporter)

WRITTEN BY: Michael Seitzman

DIRECTED BY: Loni Peristere
Old 09-28-16, 12:26 PM
DVD Talk God

Alright I realize this show has virtually no audience in this forum. But, I did watch the entire 1st season. I had the 1st 11 episodes unwatched at first and it was fast approaching the new year with a very full DVR. Was tempted to delete, but I decided to watch. And you know what, I actually got hooked to it. I powered through those episodes in 2-3 days. Then I managed to finish the rest of the season mostly week to week.

Not a huge Marcia Gay Harden fan, but I actually liked her character. Kind of an uptight recluse, but they opened her up more towards the end of the 1st season. Teased a potential romantic interest, but never went through with it.

For the most part, it was an Emergency room procedural, but what surprised me the most was how well they developed all the characters. A lot of plot points carried over in the following weeks. I found a lot of the emergency room scenes quite compelling.

I heard that 2 of the lead actors from last season (Raza Jaffrey and Bonnie Somerville) were dropped from the show. And there will be no explanation for their departure. I'm guessing that hiring a big name like Rob Lowe was partially the reason for that.
Old 01-15-17, 08:55 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I watched Emergency in the 1970's. St. Elsewhere in the 1980's. er in the 1990's. And now Code Black. All shows are worthy follow ups. I've watched all the episodes thus far but this latest (S02E13) was remarkable. It may be the best hour of dramatic television in a long while. I won't say anything specific so as not to spoil it but I urge anyone that might consider to make it a priority.

As a rule I don't like award shows because they are pointless and tons of performances get ignored but this episode is worthy by a long shot.

More should be watching this program.
Old 04-25-18, 06:39 AM

A DRUG BUST-TURNED-SHOOTOUT TESTS THE BRAVERY OF THE DOCTORS OF ANGELS MEMORIAL AS THEY RACE TO SAVE A GIRL CAUGHT IN THE CROSSFIRE, ON THE THIRD SEASON PREMIERE OF "CODE BLACK," WEDNESDAY, APRIL 25

Moon Bloodgood Joins the Cast as Willis' New Partner, Paramedic Rox, and Tyler Perez Recurs as First Year Resident Diego

"Third Year" - A drug bust-turned-shootout tests the bravery of the doctors of Angels Memorial as they race to save a girl caught in the crossfire. Also, Willis (Rob Lowe) shifts his focus to field medicine, choosing to work primarily on an ambulance with his new partner, paramedic Rox (Moon Bloodgood). And Leanne (Marcia Gay Harden)begins her journey to adopt Ariel (Emily Alyn Lind), on the third season premiere of CODE BLACK, Wednesday, April 25 (10:00-11:00PM, ET/PT) on the CBS Television Network.
Old 04-25-18, 11:01 AM
DVD Talk Ultimate Edition

Received 280 Likes on 233 Posts

This show has quite the rotating set of cast members but I am still watching. I am also a bit surprised the show is still on the air but it has turned out to be a hardy little beast.
Old 05-24-18, 10:14 AM

Cancelled: http://tvline.com/2018/05/24/code-bl...-season-4-cbs/
Old 05-24-18, 10:16 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 909 Likes on 671 Posts

Not surprised but I'll miss it. Chicago Med is good but doesn't really scratch the itch for hospital drama the way this show did.
Old 06-14-18, 02:21 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 909 Likes on 671 Posts

Apparently Code Black is #1 in its time slot. Wonder if someone else will pick it up for next year.
Old 06-14-18, 07:26 PM
DVD Talk God

Originally Posted by Noonan
Apparently Code Black is #1 in its time slot. Wonder if someone else will pick it up for next year.
Doesn't mean anything. It's summer burnoff.

I don't think you have anything to worry about. The creator of the show tweeted in May that the season finale was written as a "Series Finale"