Music Talk Discuss music in all its forms: CD, MP3, DVD-A, SACD and of course live

music regrets

Old 09-26-15, 03:38 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
music regrets

Anyone ever pass up a record and later regret it? Or have you ever missed a concert? My girlfriend found this COB record in a dollar bin once and didn't buy it. Great album but I never would have heard of it either at the time.

http://www.ebay.com/itm/COB-Moyshe-M...p2047675.l2557

Last edited by statcat; 09-26-15 at 10:28 PM.
Old 09-26-15, 04:05 PM
Challenge Guru & Comic Nerd

Received 670 Likes on 448 Posts
Re: music regrets

That I never learned to sing.
Old 09-26-15, 07:52 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 225 Likes on 145 Posts

That I didn't find a way to see Iron Maiden in 1985.
Old 09-26-15, 09:02 PM
TGM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 399 Likes on 248 Posts

that I banged that girl who passed on that COB record.
Old 09-26-15, 11:20 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 1,128 Likes on 888 Posts

That I had tickets to see Rush in concert in 2012 for their Clockwork Angels tour and didn't go. I was supposed to go with a friend originally but he wound up not able to go and I couldn't find anyone else to go with last minute (the concert was out of town). Looking back I should have just gone on my own because I wound up wasting two tickets. Plus the fact that it sounds like they're scaling back on touring so I probably won't get a chance to see them again.
Old 09-26-15, 11:21 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 2,677 Likes on 1,847 Posts

Not seeing Nirvana live, though I almost did.
Old 09-26-15, 11:32 PM
Premium Member

Received 676 Likes on 456 Posts

Sometimes regret, sometimes glad I didn't... I waffled on going with friends to see Pantera the night Dimebag Darrell was killed in Columbus. (didn't end up going)

Glad I didn't because of what went down, but it was the last chance I could have seen him play live.
Old 09-27-15, 01:06 AM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 19 Likes on 15 Posts

Originally Posted by Jason
That I didn't find a way to see Iron Maiden in 1985.
That I had tickets to Maiden in '85 and didn't go...
Old 09-27-15, 02:54 AM
DVD Talk Ultimate Edition

Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts

Not that I ever had a chance, but not seeing Frank Sinatra live. (I don't even know when he stopped performing, but I would have been somewhere in kid-dom before my license, so it's just a regret.)

I came home from delivering newspapers and a couple of guys I went to school with, and one guy who'd graduated, but I knew from my older cousins, stopped by and said they had an extra ticket to see GNR at the old Richfield Coliseum. But, as she didn't know any of "these hooligans", my Mom vetoed me going. (I don't think it ever occurred to me to just ignore her and go, but looking back now, it would have been worth the fallout.)

A few years after the fact, when I would travel all over to see Butch Walker, I looked up Marvelous 3 tour dates and saw they were played 20 minutes from my house on at least one tour, if not two.
Old 09-27-15, 03:13 AM
Premium Member

Received 676 Likes on 456 Posts

Originally Posted by Shamus McAnally
A few years after the fact, when I would travel all over to see Butch Walker, I looked up Marvelous 3 tour dates and saw they were played 20 minutes from my house on at least one tour, if not two.
Woot, someone here that is a Butch Walker fan besides me?

Any chance I get I will go see him. Still amazed that he is under most people's radar. Amazing live performer (besides all his producing day job stuff ).

Jayce and Slug from M3 are great guys. He's had some good folks come from the Black Widows too (kinda wish he still kept those folks around).
Old 09-27-15, 08:58 AM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 244 Likes on 174 Posts

Not keeping my old vinyl albums. I embrace cd, but it would be nice to have the albums just to have them.

I blew off two chances to see Led Zeppelin in summer of 1977. I'm in Kansas City. Local radio station had a deal where you could buy a ticket(didn't have to win) and everybody takes "party bus" to St. Louis to see LZ show. Price included ticket and bus ride. Blew it off.

Friend in California sent me a ticket to Oakland show. Didn't go. Still have the unused ticket.
Old 09-27-15, 09:18 AM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 1,177 Likes on 906 Posts

Butch Walker tours all the time out here and plays some of the most unique venues.
Old 09-27-15, 09:28 AM
DVD Talk Godfather

Received 987 Likes on 818 Posts

That so many of the jazz greats have passed on without my having seen them when they came to town.
Old 09-27-15, 09:35 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 219 Likes on 175 Posts

Passed on seeing Type O Negative on their last tour through here. They were double-billed with Cradle of Filth, and I can't stand those guys.

I had tickets to see Rammstein on their last tour in Denver. Due to almost dying a month before the show, I had to sell them off. It might be another 10 years before they get back over here.

Other than those, I can't think of any others. I've seen the majority of the bands I've really wanted to, at least the ones that I realistically could have seen. For example, I was 6 when Pink Floyd broke up, so I don't really have any regrets about not seeing them, although it would have been pretty cool.
Old 09-27-15, 10:21 AM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

1. That I was anti-metal when I was in my Minor Threat / Youth of Today punk-worshiping stage and missed a lot of great bands in the heyday. In particular, I was offered free tickets to go see GnR and Metallica in the summer of 1992 at Orchard Park, NY and I didn't go. They both played for 3+ hours and it was one of the best shows either band ever did. I also scored free Slayer tickets in 1995 and didn't use them. I was a moron.
2. That I actually bought the Spin Doctors' "Pocketful of Kryptonite" on CD because I was dating a girl who liked them.
3. That I passed up many chances to see the Dead in their late eighties / early nineties revitalization. Say what you want about "Touch of Grey" deadheads, at least the band was playing well in those days.
4. That I never became a DJ at my high school's station. No one ever listens to that crap and it would have been a good chance to learn something about those particular ropes without too much embarrassment.
5. That I had an opportunity to see Daft Punk in 2007 with good friends here in Chicago at Lollapalooza and passed it up as I convinced myself that I was too old for such tomfoolery. While it's true that music festivals are a young fool's game, I should have fucking gone to see Daft Punk play for 3 hours in Grant Park on a summer night.
6. That I didn't simply steal my mother's 200+ LP collection of vintage vinyl. Music from Big Pink, Freewheelin' Bob Dylan, all of the Beatles etc all in pristine original form. She gave the collection away years ago. I should have nabbed that shit.

Last edited by Hiro11; 09-27-15 at 10:29 AM.
Old 09-27-15, 10:51 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I can't think of too many shows I passed on that I regretted. I'm bummed that I never got to see either The Clash, or the original Big Country, but I don't recall really having the opportunity at the time.

I guess my big regret is that I came of musical age during the time of cassettes, and that I spent so much money and effort on such a crappy format, and had to replace everything.
Old 09-27-15, 11:26 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by Ky-Fi
I guess my big regret is that I came of musical age during the time of cassettes, and that I spent so much money and effort on such a crappy format, and had to replace everything.
Diito! Most of them were purchased at Tower Records.
Old 09-27-15, 11:35 AM
DVD Talk Godfather

Received 987 Likes on 818 Posts

I never bought into pre-recorded cassettes. I stuck with taping my LPs till CDs came along.

Originally Posted by Trevor
That I never learned to sing.
Totally not too late, especially since male voices develop as they mature.
Old 09-27-15, 05:48 PM
DVD Talk Ultimate Edition

Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts

Originally Posted by The Cow
Woot, someone here that is a Butch Walker fan besides me?

Any chance I get I will go see him. Still amazed that he is under most people's radar. Amazing live performer (besides all his producing day job stuff ).

Jayce and Slug from M3 are great guys. He's had some good folks come from the Black Widows too (kinda wish he still kept those folks around).
Oh yeah, big Butch Walker fan, even if I've not been totally crazy about some of his more recent albums.

I've seen him live 21 times, in 6 different (I believe) states. My general concert-going has tailed off the last few years, but he was the first act that I really ever traveled to see. (Like repeatedly going beyond the greater Pittsburgh-Cleveland area.)

One of my fondest memories is of following him around Northampton, MA after an improvised acoustic show, looking for a bar that was open to have a few drinks and every place we went was either closed, closing, or wouldn't let us all in. We ended up all talking in the street, having a good time.

This was my souvenir:

Old 09-27-15, 06:06 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Received 63 Likes on 39 Posts

I was at the Hard Rock Hotel in Las Vegas shortly after it opened in 1995. I was checking it out & poked my head into the concert venue because the door was open & they seemed to setting up for something. The backdrop said 'THE RAMONES' and sure enough they were booked to play that very night. Tix were still available but for some inexplicable reason I though 'nah'. I'd give anything for that opportunity now.
Old 09-28-15, 03:53 PM
Banned

Location: Conducting miss-aisle drills and listening to their rock n roll
Received 168 Likes on 126 Posts

I've posted this before, but when I was a kid Sublime was a local act that had one indie record.

Everything was set and I was in a situation where I was going to get to see them live in December of 1995 on the SnoCore Tour, but it was inexplicably cancelled. Five months latter Brad Nowell died and two months after that their self titled major label debut album came out and went throught the fucking roof. I'm still disapointed that I came so close to seeing them live.
Old 10-01-15, 01:55 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Received 40 Likes on 28 Posts

I never saw The Ramones. In my defense, they seemed to play Atlanta every 6-8 weeks when I was in high school, so I always figured there'd be a "next time". Only there wasn't.

On the flip side of that, I somehow ended up seeing My Life with the Thrill Kill Kult five times, and I don't even like them that much. They also seemed to play Atlanta every 6-8 weeks from 1989 to 1991. The first time I went, I actually wanted to go. The second time was "well, why not? It's only $8". The third time it was because that's what my friends wanted to do. The fourth it was the only thing going on in town that weekend. The fifth time some girl I was seeing wanted to go. I can't believe the band I've seen live the most is TKK. It's embarrassing.

I still have much of my 80s vinyl, even though I don't really feel a "connection" to it any more. It used to be my most beloved possession, now it's just stuff taking up space in a corner of my office. But it still makes me sick to my stomach that I sold my AUTOGRAPHED BY MICHAEL STIPE first-run pressing of the "Radio Free Europe" single on Hibtone. I also feel a bit bad about selling my copy of The Police's "Fall Out" single, knowing that Stewart Copeland personally put every record in its sleeve and delivered them to record stores himself.

Originally Posted by Shamus McAnally
Not that I ever had a chance, but not seeing Frank Sinatra live.
Depending on your age, don't feel bad. I saw him in Atlanta the day before Super Bowl XXVIII in 1994, and it was sad. I was sitting in the corner to his left, about 3/4 of the way up (in The Omni, a 20,000 seat arena) and I could easily read his teleprompter from my seat. And I have terrible eyesight. And the poor guy still forgot the lyrics a couple times, and generally seemed to have no idea where he was. I seem to remember (but could be making this up) the teleprompter even said "ATLANTA" in huge, flashing letters when he talked to the crowd between songs. His voice was still pretty good - nowhere near his prime, of course - but it was just so sad to see an icon of American entertainment look so completely lost on stage. At the end of the show, he thanked us for being "the best audience ever". Normally you'd just think that's something all artists say, and they said that to the audience before you and will say it to the audience after you. But in this case, I really think it brought a tear to most people's eyes.
Old 10-01-15, 02:09 PM
Banned

Location: Conducting miss-aisle drills and listening to their rock n roll
Received 168 Likes on 126 Posts

Originally Posted by Rex Fenestrarum

Depending on your age, don't feel bad. I saw him in Atlanta the day before Super Bowl XXVIII in 1994, and it was sad. I was sitting in the corner to his left, about 3/4 of the way up (in The Omni, a 20,000 seat arena) and I could easily read his teleprompter from my seat. And I have terrible eyesight. And the poor guy still forgot the lyrics a couple times, and generally seemed to have no idea where he was. I seem to remember (but could be making this up) the teleprompter even said "ATLANTA" in huge, flashing letters when he talked to the crowd between songs. His voice was still pretty good - nowhere near his prime, of course - but it was just so sad to see an icon of American entertainment look so completely lost on stage. At the end of the show, he thanked us for being "the best audience ever". Normally you'd just think that's something all artists say, and they said that to the audience before you and will say it to the audience after you. But in this case, I really think it brought a tear to most people's eyes.
That's very well written. Especially the end. Thank you for sharing the story. Ultimately the great thing about Frank Sinatra was that his persona had so much strength. It was a shitty show and yet it brought that out of you.
Old 10-01-15, 02:46 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 680 Likes on 419 Posts

I had tickets in hand to see Rush in February, 1983, on the Signals tour. I was 12 years old. A few days before my parents decreed that come hell or high water, I was not going to a "damned rock and roll show", what with all the drugs, violence, fights, depravity, etc.

So I didn't go. I never saw Rush again until October 2010 on the Time Machine tour.

To be fair, both my parents felt pretty bad about it and my Mom took me to go see Bryan Adams, Sammy Hagar, Aerosmith, and Journey at the Miami Baseball Stadium in April, 1983. It wasn't Rush, but for a first rock concert, you could do a lot worse. ..
Old 10-01-15, 02:47 PM
DVD Talk Godfather

Received 1,748 Likes on 1,093 Posts

Originally Posted by Mike86
That I had tickets to see Rush in concert in 2012 for their Clockwork Angels tour and didn't go. I Plus the fact that it sounds like they're scaling back on touring so I probably won't get a chance to see them again.
Same here. Years ago a buddy of mine said you have to see RUSH when in town because you never know when they're going to pack it up. RUSH is one of my "must see when in town" bands and I missed the last 2 or 3 tours for various shitty reasons. The good thing is even with them scaling down tours, chances are Los Angeles will still get shows.

Bjork is the other "must see when in town" acts but she is harder to see since she seems to bee doing lotsa big Festivals I have no interest in going too since I first saw her at the Hollywood Bowl years ago.

Search this Thread

Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.