Search
Video Game Talk The Place to talk about and trade Video & PC Games

Do you take vacations?

Search this Thread

Old 09-25-15, 08:31 AM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 164 Likes on 121 Posts
Do you take vacations?

I've been hitting DCUO on PS3 hard lately, but my body just can't take these marathon sessions anymore. Every day I play till pain sets in, and today, by back is just killing me, so gonna keep the PS3 off for a few days. Are there any other people in the same boat?
Old 09-25-15, 08:32 AM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts
Re: Do you take vacations?

Long gone are the days where I can have marathon gaming sessions. I'm lucky to get 1-2 hours a night. Having said that, I do take breaks from gaming when I feel I need it.
Old 09-25-15, 08:53 AM
DVD Talk Ultimate Edition

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

With a 4 month old, I'm lucky to get anything more than 2-3 hours a week for the most part. Basically right now, it's complete a couple of bounties in Diablo III and then up to do something for wife or bebe. Only exception would be Friday and Saturday night when they go off to bed. But then I'm so tired, I'll just watch a movie. So it's a vacation all the time...lol.
Old 09-25-15, 09:09 AM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Originally Posted by Kedrix
With a 4 month old, I'm lucky to get anything more than 2-3 hours a week for the most part. Basically right now, it's complete a couple of bounties in Diablo III and then up to do something for wife or bebe. Only exception would be Friday and Saturday night when they go off to bed. But then I'm so tired, I'll just watch a movie. So it's a vacation all the time...lol.
I'm retired, with no family, so got the time to game. But with my body giving out, I'm considering giving more time to my other hobby, movies.
Old 09-25-15, 09:14 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 14 Likes on 10 Posts

Marathon sessions are a thing of the past for me. Well, long past.....like early 2000's / late 90's.
Old 09-25-15, 09:45 AM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 59 Likes on 48 Posts

I used to play a hell of a lot, but being married makes it more difficult. I do get a lot of free days due to working for the government, so i use those to fit in long gaming sessions. In the last month i have had 2 free days and i spent both playing Mad Max. Easily pumped 8-9 hours each day into the game. I really love those days. Thinking back there were many days in my life where i would play a game as soon as i woke up and not quit until the early hours of the next day. I had a serious addiction to both Oblivion and Skyrim and those games i could not even stop thinking about. Cannot wait for the next Elder Scrolls offline game.
Old 09-25-15, 09:46 AM
gamer for life

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

I take vacations to play games...got a week set up for when Fallout 4 comes out.
Old 09-25-15, 10:06 AM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

I've also recently gotten into zoo type games on Steam, which are easier on my back, firm bed, that I can stretch out on, with a cooling fan under my laptop.
Old 09-25-15, 10:24 AM
DVD Talk Godfather

Received 26 Likes on 14 Posts

I don't think i've stopped playing a game for physical reasons.
Old 09-25-15, 10:34 AM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Location: Home of the UF Gators and Nat'l Championships, Gainesville, FL
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Upheld a promise to my wife and I took a week off from gaming. I feel re-energized.
Old 09-25-15, 11:33 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts

I'm on a vacation right now with the sand between my toes

I am twitching to get some more time with Destiny as soon as I get back though
Old 09-25-15, 11:44 AM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 16 Likes on 8 Posts

Momma, what's vacation mean?
Old 09-25-15, 11:58 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 75 Likes on 64 Posts

Spent most of 03-06 taking a break from gaming and spent my my time obsessively reading. I would read at least 3 books a week during that time. When 360 and PS3 came out I got back in due to oblivion being my digital crack.
Old 09-25-15, 12:38 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 1,928 Likes on 1,491 Posts

I dunno, when a hobby starts feeling like work...

Wait, that describes like 99% of FTP mobile games!

This may seem obvious, but have you tried getting a more ergonomic chair or changing your setup a bit to see if that alleviates the back pain?
Old 09-25-15, 12:38 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 278 Likes on 179 Posts

Retired? As in you're in your 60's or 70's? And playing a fighting game on a console? does not compute

If you're relatively young, please advise us what career you worked to make enough dough to settle into early retirement. Some of us younger folk need direction
Old 09-25-15, 12:58 PM
Banned

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

I think the longest I've ever played is like 18 hours straight and that's cuz I had to give the back the game to someone else. Otherwise... 5 hour sessions nowadays isn't that crazy for me. I just have a lot of stuff to do and I try to put as much time as I can to this or that.
Old 09-25-15, 03:01 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Originally Posted by Osiris3657
Retired? As in you're in your 60's or 70's? And playing a fighting game on a console? does not compute

If you're relatively young, please advise us what career you worked to make enough dough to settle into early retirement. Some of us younger folk need direction
Medically retired from the Army, due to broken back. I'm in my 40s.
Old 09-25-15, 03:04 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Originally Posted by fujishig
I dunno, when a hobby starts feeling like work...

Wait, that describes like 99% of FTP mobile games!

This may seem obvious, but have you tried getting a more ergonomic chair or changing your setup a bit to see if that alleviates the back pain?
I've considered an ergonomic chair. But never got around to pricing them.
Old 09-25-15, 03:13 PM
DVD Talk Platinum Edition

Originally Posted by Osiris3657
Why would this not compute, I am not in my 60's but I play games on my PS3 and PS4, just because of someone's age does not mean we don't enjoy killing a dragon or 10 or doing a FPS.
Old 09-25-15, 03:50 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 443 Likes on 310 Posts

I run my own business, so it's really tough for me to take extended time off. What I tend to do is do extended weekendes, like leave on a Thursday of Friday and get back on a Monday or Tuesday. I don't really need to be in a vacation spot longer than a few days anyways.

*edit
Shit, I thought you were talking about actual vacations, not from video games. I guess that's the board we're on.
Anyhoo, I never really do long sessions anyways, so it's never been an issue. I do tend to mostly game on the weekends.

Last edited by slop101; 09-25-15 at 03:55 PM.
Old 09-25-15, 06:17 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 278 Likes on 179 Posts

Originally Posted by shadokitty
Medically retired from the Army, due to broken back. I'm in my 40s.
Oh...sorry to hear that, sounds shitty.

Originally Posted by movie diva
Why would this not compute, I am not in my 60's but I play games on my PS3 and PS4, just because of someone's age does not mean we don't enjoy killing a dragon or 10 or doing a FPS.
...because I'm sure there are very very few retirees (again, in the 60 and up range) who play modern console games?
Old 09-26-15, 07:14 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Location: Formerly known as "orangecrush18" - still legal though

Originally Posted by Kedrix
You should look into a soft shell baby carrier or wrap. I played the majority of Skyrim with our baby wrapped up next to my chest sleeping. Our last baby was very fussy and we found that she loved to be wraped. It gave me more gaming time and my wife a break. Win/Win.
Old 09-26-15, 12:24 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Yep. I actually didn't use any carrier, I think, I just managed to hold the baby and the controller at the same time. At that time I was in a group that used to play Gears of War multiplayer almost every night. So there I was, trying to not to scream at the screen too much, so my daughter could stay asleep. Good thing that I wasn't that good of a player, otherwise it would be to stressful. LOL!
Old 09-26-15, 01:01 PM
DVD Talk Godfather

Received 911 Likes on 646 Posts

Took an unintentional summer vacation from games. I'm in the process of moving, (selling our house and getting into a new one). That started back in May. We'll be in the new house in Nov. So not a whole lot of game time going on. Lots of packing, moving and crashing earlier than usual.

The wife & kids got me Splatoon for Father's day and played that for a bit. We just got settled into a temporary place a couple weeks ago. Managed to squeeze in a bit of gaming and play through Unfinished Swan and Never Alone. Just poking around all the PS+ freebies for now. Trying not to get too deep into anything at the moment.