Shark Tank (ABC) -- Series Thread Part III

TV Talk Talk about Shows on TV

Old 09-25-15, 03:44 AM
DVD Talk God

Received 3,550 Likes on 2,542 Posts

SEASON PREMIERE

"SHARK TANK," THE CRITICALLY-ACCLAIMED AND EMMY AWARD-WINNING SHOW THAT HAS INSPIRED A NATION TO DREAM BIGGER, RETURNS TO ABC FOR SEASON 7 ON FRIDAY, SEPTEMBER 25

Ashton Kutcher -- Renowned Film & Television Star and Formidable Investor -- Is a Guest Shark

Shark Tank," the critically-acclaimed and Emmy Award-winning reality show that has reinvigorated entrepreneurship in America, is back for a seventh season with the Sharks continuing the search to invest in the best businesses and products that America has to offer. The season premiere, "Episode 701," airs FRIDAY, SEPTEMBER 25 (9:00-10:01 p.m., ET) on the ABC Television Network.

In "Episode 701," a Dad from Wellington, FL has a better way to make baby's feeding time easier with a device in which new father, Ashton Kutcher, may be especially interested; two men from Los Angeles, CA skate into the Tank with a new high-tech form of wearable transportation; a culinary student from Detroit, MI wants to bring old-fashioned drinking vinegars into the 21st century as a natural alternative to traditional sodas; and an identity theft and computer crimes expert from Sanford, FL has a solution to protect consumers from crowd-hack-attacks on credit and debit cards.

Also, an update on two of Barbara Corcoran's Season 6 deals: Pipcorn, the organic mini-popcorn snack from sister and brother team Jeff Martin & Jennifer Martin from Brooklyn, NY; and Scratch & Grain, a healthier way to bake homemade cookies from scratch cooked up by Taya Geiger & Leah Tutin, two moms from Tigard, OR.

The Sharks in this episode of "Shark Tank" are Mark Cuban, Lori Greiner, Robert Herjavec, Kevin O'Leary and Guest Shark Ashton Kutcher.

Mark Burnett, Clay Newbill, Yun Lingner and Phil Gurin are the executive producers of "Shark Tank," which is based on the Japanese "Dragons' Den" format created by Nippon Television Network Corporation. The series is produced by One Three Media in association with Sony Pictures Television.

The other thread is over 2 years old and almost 700 posts deep. I think it's time for a fresher thread for season 7 starting tonight.
Old 09-25-15, 09:00 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
Re: Shark Tank (ABC) -- Series Thread Part III

Great to have the show back.

I liked Ashton as the guest Shark.
Old 09-26-15, 11:03 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I agree. On paper, he sounded like someone who might have been too well-known or not quite gotten how the show works and made it about himself, but he fit right in.

And after seeing the clip of him and Mr. Wonderful fighting all over the place yesterday, it was nice to see it in its proper context. Good for Ashton for standing up for the vinegar lady. Kevin was just being an asshole.
Old 09-26-15, 12:40 PM
DVD Talk God

Received 602 Likes on 486 Posts

Ashton was good.

Not sure what the last guy was thinking. Should have gone with Robert at 15%. It wasn't worth another 10% just to have Lori in as well.
Old 09-26-15, 01:02 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 209 Likes on 185 Posts

Originally Posted by Red Dog
Ashton was good.

Not sure what the last guy was thinking. Should have gone with Robert at 15%. It wasn't worth another 10% just to have Lori in as well.
I remember a similar product offered on the show a few years back, -I believe, though, it was just a card or wallet where the material blocked scanners. I recall seeing it a few months later being offered in a Walmart standee for $10. I wonder if anyone asked (since the segments are edited) about the "shelf-life" of the protection they offer.
Old 09-26-15, 02:00 PM
DVD Talk God

I liked the Signal Vault product and the margin was great. Not sure if he got the best deal, but considering he claimed that he put so little into the company, I guess it works.

Just curious if the product is actually proven to work besides that fake demo he gave.
Old 09-26-15, 02:03 PM
DVD Talk God

Originally Posted by Red Dog

Lori has a relationship with QVC and Robert said he has a relationship with HSN. Could they not sell the product on both channels or would one retain exclusivity? If both can sell it, then I think that works even better for him and they can move even more units.
Old 09-26-15, 02:44 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 362 Likes on 262 Posts

Originally Posted by DJariya
Just curious if the product is actually proven to work besides that fake demo he gave.
Look it up on Google. There's a lot of skepticism about the tech.
Old 09-26-15, 03:02 PM
DVD Talk God

Originally Posted by Troy Stiffler
Probably a good idea that he got Robert involved then. Robert and his team will probably want to look at the product and possibly refine it. I doubt Robert will want to attach his name to a product that doesn't work.
Old 09-26-15, 03:02 PM
Banned

Received 376 Likes on 295 Posts

Originally Posted by Troy Stiffler
It's a whole lot of bullshit. You'd think a tech guy like Robert would know better.
Old 09-26-15, 03:08 PM
DVD Talk God

<iframe width="560" height="315" src="https://www.youtube.com/embed/BE2IWZyIuHI" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen></iframe>

According to this short video, the product doesn't work. He tested the card out multiple times and it doesn't work. His scanner read his credit card every time.

But then again, this guy is trying to sell his own product.
Old 09-26-15, 04:28 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 783 Likes on 657 Posts

Originally Posted by DJariya
Lori has a relationship with QVC and Robert said he has a relationship with HSN. Could they not sell the product on both channels or would one retain exclusivity? If both can sell it, then I think that works even better for him and they can move even more units.
You have to sell exclusively on either HSN or QVC. They never sell the same products at the same time.

I don't mind when celebrity business personalities make guest appearances but I thought Ashton's presence was distracting. I am not even sure he's rich enough to fund more than a few small businesses. I hope they don't start placing random actors and other celebrities as Sharks.
Old 09-26-15, 04:46 PM

His net worth has been reported to be between $140-$160 million and has been an angel investor in Airbnb, Uber, and SoundCloud as well as dozens of other companies. He is by no means a "random actor." He knows his stuff.
Old 09-26-15, 04:48 PM
DVD Talk God

Received 1,359 Likes on 922 Posts

I think he was in on Twitter and Facebook early on, iirc.
Old 09-26-15, 11:45 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 2,677 Likes on 1,847 Posts

They're already hawking the Signal Vault on QVC.
Old 09-26-15, 11:58 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

SignalVault's demo is such crap, I can't believe anyone would believe this... I know it is TV but I thought for the most part, the products that get invested usually aren't scams.
Old 09-27-15, 09:19 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 1,011 Likes on 616 Posts

I thought Ashton did a good job. He was a million times better than that awful GoPro inventor Nick Woodman when he guest stars. By the way, did I mention he invented GoPro? He invented GoPro.
Old 10-02-15, 09:16 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

If they could make those cups taste like pizza, I'd be in.
Old 10-02-15, 09:58 PM
DVD Talk Godfather

Received 909 Likes on 644 Posts

$5 a month for a password app? $300k for eyelashes? These people are high.

Hummus guy was decent, but the episode was saved by the Loliware cups. Very cool concept and execution. Kind of a dick move to screw over Robert though.
Old 10-03-15, 02:01 AM
DVD Talk Ultimate Edition

Received 99 Likes on 79 Posts

Originally Posted by Michael Corvin
$5 a month for a password app? $300k for eyelashes? These people are high.

Hummus guy was decent, but the episode was saved by the Loliware cups. Very cool concept and execution. Kind of a dick move to screw over Robert though.
I know that Shark Tank is for the most part completely legit, but I got an off feeling from the Loliware pitch. I think that deal was in place well before the show, and all of that was just scripted. Cool product, but that one just did not really feel organic to me like they mostly do.
Old 10-03-15, 06:31 AM
DVD Talk Godfather

It did seem like they were all chomping at the bit way too quickly. I just chalked it up to editing.
Old 10-03-15, 12:49 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 783 Likes on 657 Posts

The negotiation with the Sharks and Loliware seemed to have been heavily edited. It went down very strangely as we had different teams of sharks.

Do people really want to eat their cups? That seems like a party novelty at best.
Old 10-03-15, 01:24 PM

I think when Barbara was telling the eyelashes lady to quit crying, I think she was not only telling her, but also sending a message out to future enterpreneurs on the show: Quit giving us your sob story.

And man, Mark just decimated those password guys. He seems to have very little patience for tech guys who just throw out buzzwords and hype.
Old 10-03-15, 02:01 PM
DVD Talk Godfather

The sob story was ridiculous. I don't mind them from time to time when there is a true story there, but there was no sob story here, just "boo hoo I work as hard as you guys" nonsense. It was just crocodile tears.
Old 10-03-15, 02:08 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 362 Likes on 262 Posts

Originally Posted by johnnysd
Cool product, but that one just did not really feel organic to me like they mostly do.
The pitches and negotiations are edited down from around 45 minutes each.

I think it was perfectly reasonable that the Sharks were very interested, and wanted the VC fundraising out of the picture.

It's a neat concept. Pairing it with artisan coffee, drinks and booze has a lot of potential.

Search this Thread

Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.