Go Back  DVD Talk Forum > DVD Discussions > DVD Reviews and Recommendations
Reload this Page >

"Bad Ronald" Reviews/Discussion - 2015 Horror Challenge: Day 4

DVD Reviews and Recommendations Read, Post and Request DVD Reviews.

Old 09-24-15, 01:34 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Location: Somewhere Hot Scoville Units: 9,999,999 Zodiac Sign: Capricorn
Received 811 Likes on 316 Posts

Bad Ronald (1974)

Selected by Dick Laurent

IMDB ENTRY

ON DAILYMOTION

ALYXSTARR LINK

These "October Horror Movie Challenge" threads are for the discussion of the films in the 31 FILM SUBSET list.

The plan is for everyone to watch this film on the October day in the thread title, and to start discussing it the morning of the following day.
You may start discussion early if you want, but the preferred plan is for this to be as much of a group exercise as possible, with all of us viewing it "together" and discussing after.

Of course, you are totally encouraged to participate in these threads even if you haven't watched the movie on the designated day.
Even if you haven't watched it in years, or are not participating in the Horror Challenge, please feel free to chime in.

Spoiler tags aren't always used in here, so if you have yet to see the film BEWARE OF POSSIBLE SPOILERS.

S
P
O
N
S
O
R
E
D

B
Y

S
P
O
N
S
O
R
E
D

B
Y

2015 DISCUSSION | 2015 LISTS

Last edited by Chad; 10-01-15 at 07:13 PM.
Old 10-03-15, 11:09 PM

Received 503 Likes on 364 Posts
Re: "Bad Ronald" Reviews/Discussion - 2015 Horror Challenge: Day 4

If anyone has a Roku, there's a Dailymotion app. I just used it to watch the movie and it worked fine.

To find the movie on the app, search for "Bad Ronald". It shows up in the Suggestions as "Bad Ronald - FULL TV Movie (Aired October 24, 1974)"

https://channelstore.roku.com/details/13102/dailymotion
Old 10-04-15, 12:09 AM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

The Man with the Golden Doujinshi's Avatar

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

I remember watching this on TBS as a morning movie, back in the days when Ted Turner was more noticeable in running the station with starting shows at :05 and :35 instead of the standard :00 and :30, and they also always had Atlanta Braves games.

The other morning movie that also left a memory for me was Mazes and Monsters where Dungeons and Dragons made Tom Hanks insane. There was also The Boy in the Plastic Bubble with John Travolta.
Old 10-04-15, 12:10 AM
Challenge Guru & Comic Nerd

Received 670 Likes on 448 Posts

Not a great film to watch right before going to bed, at least if you have a house that makes lots of sounds and have a natural fear of attics/closets/etc.
Old 10-04-15, 03:15 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 750 Likes on 488 Posts

Not too bad. I have a couple of confessions to make. The Made for TV theme is one of my least favorite themes, and yet, there have been some pretty good selections made in that category.

One of the things I really liked was the idea that someone could be living inside your house without you even knowing it. Not a boogie man or something but a real person. And really, if you really think about it, it's entirely possible. That just makes it even creepier. I'm sure there are some other movies that have used a similar setup. I think it's a great idea for a movie.
Old 10-04-15, 04:06 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Perhaps I've been desensitized to films like this. It's a good story, but you can see tons of stories like this on Lifetime channel. Todays rules and regulations have loosened up quite a bit actually, so the language, violence, blood and gore are more acceptable if not expected than it was back in the early 70's.
Old 10-04-15, 05:50 PM

Received 72 Likes on 51 Posts

I'm generally not a fan of made-for-tv movies but I felt this was very well made. Definitely creepy in my mind as it involves a normal (insane) person staying in your house without you knowing about it. It isn't a new concept now but I'll bet in 1974 it was not a common theme. I also thought the acting was acceptable considering it was a tv movie. It was a good choice.
Old 10-04-15, 10:57 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I'm glad this turned out to be a good one. There are so many bombs in this theme category, I tried to find one that was both unique and entertaining. I think this fit the bill.

Reminds me of that episode of Freddy's Nightmares where the girl is kept locked away in the basement. That one gave me chills. This one may not be the same level of fright, but pretty disturbing idea nonetheless.
Old 10-04-15, 11:41 PM
DVD Talk Ultimate Edition

Received 213 Likes on 140 Posts

The general premise is really creepy (I love the stranger living in your house bit) but there's so much set-up maneuvering to get there that it feels awkward. For example, it's odd that Ronald's mother dies (necessary to establish the story) but there's no obvious emotional toll on Ronald - it just moved along. They did a good job of making a sympathetic villain.

I really like how low key things were handled; there weren't any attempts to ham up the humor (like Ronald raiding the residents refrigerator or his ever grittier appearance).

I want a secret room in my house like that... when it's time for the October horror challenge I'd dare my wife and kids to find me.
Old 10-05-15, 01:28 AM

Received 219 Likes on 161 Posts

I dug Bad Ronald. It stretches credulity past the breaking point, but for a made-for-TV horror film from the '70s, it was quite acceptable. I actually was startled more than once by it, which is really more than one can ask from this type of fare. I've had the Warner Archive disc for a couple of years now and hadn't gotten around to watching it, so I'm pretty psyched about finally watching it, too.

What I don't understand is the lack of love for made-for-TV horror films. What's not to love? Cheap thrills + familiar faces + short running times = aces in my book. I watched three today.
Old 10-05-15, 08:39 AM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Received 145 Likes on 97 Posts

About half-way through the movie my girlfriend mentioned how easy it would be to have someone living under the stairs and not even know it. I really enjoyed this one even though it had the 'after-school special' vibe to it throughout. The print I saw was really washed out and seemed to be ported from a VHS copy. I kept on thinking Ronald was played by a bespectacled Matthew Modine.
Old 10-05-15, 10:42 AM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Received 13 Likes on 12 Posts

Another winner from the golden age of the MOW. I'd heard of this one many times and I'm glad I finally saw it. The voyeuristic "hider in the house" element sort of continues from the Pyscho era and I think Black Christmas was released around the same time. Nice and short movie, too, which I also always appreciate during the challenge. Recommend for sure.
Old 10-05-15, 11:13 AM

I freaking love the premise, and not just because I wish I had that extra space for dvds and comic books.

It is a little rushed in parts. If it was a full feature they could have played up his grieving, physical deterioration, and, knowing modern hollywood, the voyeuristic angle.
Old 10-05-15, 01:29 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

My house has a couple of tiny doors, about a foot tall, that go into the wall. I could have a mini-Ronald living here and not know it. Someone that small wouldn't eat much, so I wouldn't even be able to tell he's here from food going missing.
Old 10-05-15, 04:13 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Received 40 Likes on 25 Posts

Originally Posted by Undeadcow
The general premise is really creepy (I love the stranger living in your house bit) but there's so much set-up maneuvering to get there that it feels awkward. For example, it's odd that Ronald's mother dies (necessary to establish the story) but there's no obvious emotional toll on Ronald - it just moved along. They did a good job of making a sympathetic villain.

I really like how low key things were handled; there weren't any attempts to ham up the humor (like Ronald raiding the residents refrigerator or his ever grittier appearance).

I want a secret room in my house like that... when it's time for the October horror challenge I'd dare my wife and kids to find me.
Agreed. It's a blink and you miss it about the mother dying, which I kind of did. For the time, I guess it is good. But nowadays, not a movie that really holds up sadly. This is a movie that can easily be remade and make creepier now.
Old 10-05-15, 08:25 PM

Received 66 Likes on 35 Posts

Originally Posted by clckworang
One of the things I really liked was the idea that someone could be living inside your house without you even knowing it. Not a boogie man or something but a real person. And really, if you really think about it, it's entirely possible. That just makes it even creepier. I'm sure there are some other movies that have used a similar setup. I think it's a great idea for a movie.
Having just watched The Butterfly Room, I found it slightly suspect that a) they managed to build his room in a few hours, b) no-one heard/noticed and then c) nobody realised there was a hidden room - and TOILET! Did he just not flush, or was it extremely soundproofed..?!

Plus, I like to think I would notice the spyholes, and maybe question the lack of bathrooms a little more than the family did...

The mother was clearly as crazy as Ronald, and I don't like the "likes fantasy/comics/art = mad" link.

But... enjoyable and well made.
Old 10-06-15, 11:57 AM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Received 145 Likes on 97 Posts

Originally Posted by ntnon
Having just watched The Butterfly Room, I found it slightly suspect that a) they managed to build his room in a few hours, b) no-one heard/noticed and then c) nobody realised there was a hidden room - and TOILET! Did he just not flush, or was it extremely soundproofed..?!

Plus, I like to think I would notice the spyholes, and maybe question the lack of bathrooms a little more than the family did...

The mother was clearly as crazy as Ronald, and I don't like the "likes fantasy/comics/art = mad" link.

But... enjoyable and well made.
I felt this was the weakest point regarding the 'missing' bathroom. You would think the Realtor would have more insight from original building files or some real estate log files that a bathroom just disappeared. You would think an inspection even in the 70s would raise some flags.
Old 10-06-15, 01:03 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Since it's back in the days of paper filing, I doubt most realtors would be looking at blueprints of every house they're selling, let alone even these days. Even if they did see a wrong number, they'd probably chalk it up to someone miskeying the number.
Old 10-12-15, 07:38 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 1,010 Likes on 616 Posts

I really enjoyed this one. Perfect for a Sunday afternoon. Yeah, it pushed the limits of believability at times but it was so enjoyable. It kept giving me this vibe:

<iframe width="420" height="315" src="https://www.youtube.com/embed/ZoDoZsOHFxs" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen></iframe>

Mixed with this vibe:
<iframe width="420" height="315" src="https://www.youtube.com/embed/ORbseYAkzRM" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen></iframe>

I loved how the cop has two kids missing, one of them being the brother of a girl recently killed and one living in the house of the suspected killer, with the parents out of town and cannot be reached, and he tells the two teenage girls to just go stay in a hotel and rest.
Old 10-15-15, 07:41 AM

Originally Posted by ntnon

Plus, I like to think I would notice the spyholes, and maybe question the lack of bathrooms a little more than the family did
Originally Posted by WillieMLF
I felt this was the weakest point regarding the 'missing' bathroom. You would think the Realtor would have more insight from original building files or some real estate log files that a bathroom just disappeared. You would think an inspection even in the 70s would raise some flags.
Originally Posted by The Man with the Golden Doujinshi
Since it's back in the days of paper filing, I doubt most realtors would be looking at blueprints of every house they're selling, let alone even these days. Even if they did see a wrong number, they'd probably chalk it up to someone miskeying the number.
Yeah, what Peep said.

Plus, in the construction of the secret room, all it was was nailing a board over the bathroom door opening and wallpapering it; then maybe opening a wall into the crawlspace. So maybe a few minutes of loudish noise inside a single family house, shouldn't be heard by neighbors.

And as long as he was careful to time his flushes when they were out of the house or flushing the other toilet it could have worked.