Search
TV Talk Talk about Shows on TV

Survivor: Second Chance (S31E01) -- "Second Chance" -- 9/23/15

Search this Thread

Old 09-23-15, 03:06 AM
DVD Talk God

Received 3,640 Likes on 2,613 Posts
Survivor: Second Chance (S31E01) -- "Second Chance" -- 9/23/15

TWENTY RETURNING CASTAWAYS, VOTED IN BY FANS ACROSS AMERICA, ARE DROPPED IN THE MIDDLE OF THE SOUTH CHINA SEA TO BEGIN THEIR ADVENTURE, ON THE SPECIAL 90-MINUTE SEASON PREMIERE OF "SURVIVOR," WEDNESDAY, SEPT. 23

The New Season in Cambodia, Themed "Second Chance," Features 20 Castaways Chosen by Fans to Have Another Shot at Being Named "Sole Survivor"

Twenty returning castaways are dropped in the middle of the South China Sea to begin their adventure, on the special 90-minute season premiere of SURVIVOR, Wednesday, Sept. 23 (8:00-9:30 PM, ET/PT). The new season in Cambodia, themed "Second Chance," features 20 castaways from past editions who were voted for by fans to have another shot at being named "Sole Survivor." For one tribe, old-school thinking battles new-school strategy when the two distinct groups try to take control of the game. Also, one contestant finds a clue to a hidden immunity idol that requires retrieving it in a way that's never been seen before.

Soon after SURVIVOR premiered on May 31, 2000, it became a cultural phenomenon, and is now the longest-running reality-competition program. The innovative game that helped shape the reality genre of television has filmed 459 episodes across 17 countries, and has been played by 460 castaways. This is the first time in SURVIVOR's 15-year history that fans have decided the entire cast.

The castaways competing on this season of SURVIVOR: (in order by their original season)
:

WOMEN MEN

Kelly Wiglesworth Jeff Varner Season 1 Season 2 Survivor: Borneo Survivor: The Australian Outback

Kimmi Kappenberg Andrew Savage Season 2 Season 7 Survivor: The Australian Outback Survivor: Pearl Islands

Peih-Gee Law Terry Deitz Season 15 Season 12 Survivor: China Survivor: Panama

Monica Padilla Stephen Fishbach Season 19 Season 18 Survivor: Samoa Survivor: Tocantins

Abi-Maria Gomes Vytas Baskauskas Season 25 Season 27 Survivor: Philippines Survivor: Blood vs. Water

Ciera Eastin Woo Hwang Season 27 Season 28 Survivor: Blood vs. Water Survivor: Cagayan

Tasha Fox Spencer Bledsoe Season 28 Season 28 Survivor: Cagayan Survivor: Cagayan

Kass McQuillen Jeremy Collins Season 28 Season 29 Survivor: Cagayan Survivor: San Juan del Sur

Kelley Wentworth Keith Nale Season 29 Season 29 Survivor: San Juan del Sur Survivor: San Juan del Sur

Shirin Oskooi Joe Anglim Season 30 Season 30 Survivor: Worlds Apart Survivor: Worlds Apart

SURVIVOR is hosted by Emmy Award-winning host Jeff Probst and produced by SEG, Inc. Mark Burnett and Jeff Probst are executive producers.

This season was shot this past summer. Strangely, season 32, which will air in the Spring (2016) was shot last season in the Spring.
Old 09-23-15, 08:22 PM
DVD Talk God

Received 3,640 Likes on 2,613 Posts
Re: Survivor: Second Chance (S31E01) -- "Second Chance" -- 9/23/15

Bumping since this fell to page 2

It's already airing/close to being done in the East coast.
Old 09-23-15, 08:30 PM
Suspended

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Giving this season a shot after taking the last few off...I won't last long if they keep shoving Abi down our throats. I like to relax and enjoy myself at night. She forces me to do the opposite.
Old 09-23-15, 08:58 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 194 Likes on 156 Posts

Originally Posted by aktick
Giving this season a shot after taking the last few off...I won't last long if they keep shoving Abi down our throats. I like to relax and enjoy myself at night. She forces me to do the opposite.
To be fair, she got a heavy edit tonight because it was either her or Vytas going home. I can't see her lasting too long this season. Her mouth will get her into trouble.

Glad to see Vytas go. Never cared for him or his brother.
Old 09-23-15, 09:26 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Received 108 Likes on 75 Posts

Can't believe that awful Abi was chosen to return. Ugh.
Old 09-23-15, 10:11 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 184 Likes on 127 Posts

Smooth move by Kelly Wentworth swiping the idol while everyone was distracted by the challenge. Not so smooth move by Fishbach to have everyone know he was bailing on helping at camp to search for an idol.

All the talk these players do about how they've learned from their mistakes and are going to do things differently this time ... and the majority start acting exactly like they did in their previous season
Old 09-23-15, 10:15 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Yeah, very disappointed in Stephen and that was out of character for him. Hopefully he can recover.
Old 09-23-15, 10:19 PM
DVD Talk Platinum Edition

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Just a thought - should one tribe have punted the rice and just keep loading up on supplies (and taken more time sifting through everything)?
Old 09-23-15, 10:26 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Originally Posted by wirefan
Just a thought - should one tribe have punted the rice and just keep loading up on supplies (and taken more time sifting through everything)?
Maybe I missed it in Jeff's explanation ... but if you were allowed to have just one person swim for the rice, why not have everyone but that one swimmer load up the raft and get the best of both? It seemed pretty clear that a good swimmer could move faster than a packed raft (even with everyone paddling).
Old 09-23-15, 10:27 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

My guess is that you couldn't go for it until after you cut the raft loose. That would certainly make the most sense.
Old 09-23-15, 10:30 PM
DVD Talk Platinum Edition

I'm pretty sure he mentioned you couldn't go for the rice until you cut the raft loose, but what if one team just hung around on the big boat after the other team cut loose?

The description sounded like there was no actual time limit and it was just a game of chicken (subtle Survivor camera pan to a chicken), just wondering what would have happened if one raft said "screw it" and didn't cut the raft loose right away.

Last edited by wirefan; 09-23-15 at 10:36 PM.
Old 09-24-15, 03:08 AM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Wentworth was the main reason I was extra excited for this season, so the first episode certainly was good for me. I've only rooted for someone as early as episode 1 once before, another season with returning players (when Boston Rob won), and I'm realistically just hoping she makes it deep, as the odds of her winning are slim.

Still, I like at least a half dozen other returning players a lot, so this might turn out to be a really fun season.

I didn't see the vote going that way at all, so I was pretty surprised. Always seems risky to play so strategic early on and weaken your tribe, especially when it appears Abi can't last long even with allies because she'd so damned annoying.

This is not an MTV reality show where people are encouraged to play the characters the viewers are expecting to see. This is Survivor and I just can't see how you get such a great opportunity, more than once, and you can't come back for even a day or two without just being a total ass like Abi was pretty much from the get-go.

Last edited by dolphinboy; 09-24-15 at 03:53 AM.
Old 09-24-15, 11:20 AM
DVD Talk Legend

It was clear somebody could have swam for the rice sooner. I too was wondering why it took somebody so long to take that option. Maybe they were all less than 100% confident they would make it. Kelly tuckered out fast.

I was so hoping the Abi mistake would be corrected right away. She is exactly the kind of person that is driving us away from this show. She belongs on Big Brother.
Old 09-24-15, 12:28 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Originally Posted by hdnmickey
I was so hoping the Abi mistake would be corrected right away. She is exactly the kind of person that is driving us away from this show. She belongs on Big Brother.
Unfortunately, many viewers seem to prefer Big Brother-style drama over gameplay and actual survival. After all, Abi got voted in ... as did Cass, who I found just as gratingly obnoxious in her season (even though she was quiet episode one).

That was the reason I completely skipped the Blood vs Water with Colton ... just no desire to see that type of reality tv character.

Originally Posted by wirefan
it was just a game of chicken (subtle Survivor camera pan to a chicken)
I love their incredibly cheesy metaphoric nature cut-aways. Someone does something sneaky and you cut to a snake. A woman is scheming and you cut to a spider. This was someone said something about people acting like babies ... and there was a cut to the most adorable baby monkey!
Old 09-24-15, 12:34 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Originally Posted by brainee
Unfortunately, many viewers seem to prefer Big Brother-style drama over gameplay and actual survival. After all, Abi got voted in ... as did Cass, who I found just as gratingly obnoxious in her season (even though she was quiet episode one).

That was the reason I completely skipped the Blood vs Water with Colton ... just no desire to see that type of reality tv character.
I take it you are buying that all those people were actually voted in by the fans. I'm not.

Personally I see Cass as far different than Abi. Cass at least has a lot of game in her, where Abi is just a total c*nt that has added nothing but drama.

We didn't skip watching because of Colton, but it was very close. I'm actually kind of excited for this season just because there really is only one person like Abi - Abi!
Old 09-24-15, 12:35 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Originally Posted by dolphinboy
Wentworth was the main reason I was extra excited for this season, so the first episode certainly was good for me.
Why? I honestly don't remember a single memorable thing that she did during her season.
Old 09-24-15, 12:47 PM
DVD Talk Godfather

Received 1,016 Likes on 840 Posts

I honestly don't remember Wentworth either, and I picked her for the DVDTalk game.

Cass has gameplay, but it was never smart gameplay. She would do stupid stuff just to mess things up, even if it didn't make sense for her own game.

I admit I got kind of excited to see so many of the old players. I've been watching since season 2, but I don't remember a number of these people. Kind of sobering to see how fat some of them have gotten (not that Kimmi was ever slim), or how grey Terry is.
Old 09-24-15, 01:03 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 136 Likes on 107 Posts

IIRC Jeff said "We're going to tribal council right now". Then after a commercial break it was totally dark at TC as if several hours had passed?
Old 09-24-15, 01:19 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

...and they had all changed.
Old 09-24-15, 01:48 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 55 Likes on 50 Posts

After about 20 minutes of re-introducing the players I still have no idea who Monica is.
Old 09-24-15, 03:08 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Originally Posted by Double_Oh_7
After about 20 minutes of re-introducing the players I still have no idea who Monica is.
Apparently she was on the season where the show edit only focused on Russell, Russell, and Shambo. Same reason I had no idea who Laura (Ciera's Mom) was during the first Blood vs Water season.
Old 09-24-15, 03:23 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 70 Likes on 59 Posts

there was definitely a guys vs. girls vote but Spencer was the deciding vote and went with the girls to vote out Vytas. Strange dynamic.
Old 09-24-15, 03:27 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

No, Kelly Wi. voted with three guys, and Spencer and Jeff voted with four girls.
Old 09-24-15, 03:50 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 70 Likes on 59 Posts

Originally Posted by mwbmis
No, Kelly Wi. voted with three guys, and Spencer and Jeff voted with four girls.
okay, you are right. I thought Jeff voted for Abi.
Old 09-24-15, 04:01 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 324 Likes on 242 Posts

Originally Posted by Merkin Muffley
...and they had all changed.
...and Spencer had time to do an interview segment about being sent straight to tribal.

I can't believe the blonde girl (sorry, I forget her name!) got the idol without ANYONE seeing her do that. I kept wondering why she didn't try to get it when they were in the water. It was there from the start.

Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.