Search
TV Talk Talk about Shows on TV

Empire (FOX) -- Series Discussion Thread -- S: Taraji P. Henson, Terence Howard

Search this Thread

Old 01-07-15, 07:33 PM
DVD Talk God

Received 3,640 Likes on 2,613 Posts
Empire (FOX) -- Series Discussion Thread -- S: Taraji P. Henson, Terence Howard

THE BATTLE BEGINS ON THE SERIES PREMIERE OF "EMPIRE" WEDNESDAY, JANUARY 7, ON FOX

Series Premiere of EMPIRE Airs with Limited Commercial Interruption

EMPIRE is a powerful new drama that follows LUCIOUS LYON (Academy Award nominee Terrence Howard, "Crash," "Hustle & Flow"), the head of a music empire whose reign has been unchallenged for years. But all that changes when he learns he has a disease and must choose one of his three sons to take over: ANDRE (Trai Bryers, "90210"), JAMAL (Jussie Smollett, "North," "The Mighty Ducks") or HAKEEM (acting newcomer Bryshere Gray, a.k.a. Yazz The Greatest). Complicating matters is their mother and Lucious' ex-wife, COOKIE (Academy Award and Emmy Award nominee Taraji P. Henson, "No Good Deed," "The Curious Case of Benjamin Button"), who emerges from prison to claim her share. Don't miss the all-new "Pilot" Series Premiere episode of EMPIRE airing with limited commercial interruption Wednesday, Jan. 7 (9:01-10:00 PM ET/PT) on FOX. (EMP-101) (TV-14 D, L, S, V)

Cast: Terrence Howard as Lucious Lyon, Taraji P. Henson as Cookie Lyon, Malik Yoba as Vernon Turner, Jussie Smollett as Jamal Lyon, Bryshere Gray as Hakeem Lyon, Trai Byers as Andre Lyon, Grace Gealey as Anika Gibbons and Kaitlin Doubleday as Rhonda Lyon

Guest Cast: Gabourey Sidibe as Becky, Antoine McKay as Bunkie

13 episode season.

I've been interested in this since it was 1st announced last May. I love Taraji P. Henson and I like some of Terrence Howard's work. Plus, I'm a fan of Timbaland, who is doing the music for this show. But, I'm not sure this type of drama would fit the demographic of this forum or draw up enough people interested for weekly threads, so I think 1 should probably work. Urban themed movies and dramas don't seem to be very popular here for whatever reason.

Here's the trailer:

<iframe width="560" height="315" src="//www.youtube.com/embed/dBzu_jKLJek" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen></iframe>
Old 01-07-15, 08:54 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Re: Empire (FOX) -- S: Terrence Howard, Taraji P. Henson - Series Thread - Starts 1/7

Against my better judgement, I watched it and I hated it. To many reasons to list...
And Malik Yoba aged terribly. Yikes!
Old 01-07-15, 10:15 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Re: Empire (FOX) -- S: Terrence Howard, Taraji P. Henson - Series Thread - Starts 1/7

I'm less than 10 minutes in so far, and I think I'm done. It's just laughably bad. The little "music video" on the boat was downright cringeworthy. Who the hell are they making this show for? Because it clearly isn't for anyone that's into hiphop or that has half a brain.
Old 01-07-15, 11:51 PM
DVD Talk Legend

I thought it was a hoot. I'll definitely watch it again, if only for Cookie. Her character is a BAMF. It does remind me of an 80's prime-time soap, and was fun to watch.

Someone said on Twitter that you can tell why they gave him ALS, because the ice bucket challenge was popping while they were writing this episode.
Old 01-08-15, 12:59 AM
DVD Talk God

that was fun as heck. Totally over the top soap opera with the urban and hip hop angle.

Loved Cookie. She absolutely stole the show. Taraji P. Henson was so over the top and awesome. She kind of reminded me of a black Alexis from Dynasty.

They kind of hinted in the preview that Cookie coming back may not be everything that it seems.

I wonder who does the singing voice for Jamal? It sounded really familiar. I enjoyed that song he did in the club.

If there was anything that wasn't written that well, it was the gay son story with Jamal. I think it could have been written smarter. The flashback with him as a kid prancing around in women's clothes and in high heels, which pissed off Lucious was IMO very over the top and stereotypical. The adult Jamal was far from some over the top sissy boy.

Sure there was some other cliches like the smart educated son being married to a white woman, but it's a soap opera, it comes with the territory. I'll be back next week. Looks like they have some more potential craziness.

Last edited by DJariya; 01-08-15 at 01:31 AM.
Old 01-08-15, 10:07 AM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by DJariya
Urban themed movies and dramas don't seem to be very popular here for whatever reason.
I mentioned this to my wife while we were watching. I was curious what kind of reception the show would get here.

It's early, so I don't know if I'll keep watching, but so far it stars two lead actors I like and was entertaining enough. I was going to make a comment about how I'm not into aggressive thuggishness (the youngest son), but as I've thought about it, it's not his thuggisness (which could be interesting to watch) that's a turn off for me -- it's that he behaves like a completely selfish brat. Those types of people are big turnoffs to me in real life, and I find them hard to watch on TV. It's early, though. The character (and actor) has time to develop.

That said, Empire remains on my recording schedule.
Old 01-08-15, 11:28 AM
DVD Talk God

http://tvbythenumbers.zap2it.com/201...s-fall/347264/

Empire was the most watched show last night. FOX's highest rated premiere in 6 seasons.
Old 01-08-15, 11:48 AM

Received 4,584 Likes on 3,103 Posts

http://tvbythenumbers.zap2it.com/201...s-fall/347264/

Empire was the most watched show last night. FOX's highest rated premiere in 6 seasons.
Well they marketed the shit out of it, so at least that paid off.
Old 01-08-15, 12:26 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

I gotta say, I was enjoying it quite a bit more by the end of the episode. Although hearing Jamal's ultra auto-tuned trash song was another cringeworthy moment. Pretty cliche and unoriginal story so far, but at least it has a unique enough setting.

I'll keep watching for now.
Old 01-08-15, 03:16 PM
DVD Talk Platinum Edition

I liked the pilot. I agree with others on the cliches. But I sometimes enjoy primetime soap type shows. This show might be able to keep a good portion of the audience past the pilot. This reminded me a bit of that VH1 show Hit The Floor. That show while not having huge cable ratings has managed to keep viewers.
Old 01-08-15, 07:27 PM
Cool New Member

Taraji P. Henson is excellent! I am glad that she landed another major project so soon after being written off CBS's TV series "Person of Interest".

Someone said on Twitter that you can tell why they gave him ALS, because the ice bucket challenge was popping while they were writing this episode.
The EMPIRE pilot was written in 2013, and the pilot was filmed in early 2014 - months before the Ice Bucket Challenge started.
Old 01-08-15, 07:55 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 144 Likes on 99 Posts

There were a ton of cliches but the series is straight out of the Dynasty/Dallas playbook with a hip hop twist. Henson is a hoot and I'll keep watching just to see the crazy she's bringing to her character.
Old 01-08-15, 08:37 PM

I enjoyed this high-trash show immensely! Cookie Lyons RULES! A lot of people complained about too much material being crammed into the pilot. Back in the day, I would've agreed with this, but television viewers just ain't what they used to be. These days, new shows MUST provide enough material in the pilot that it hooks the viewers right then and there, and leaves them pondering and wanting to know what happens next. I think this show did a fine job in doing exactly that; establishing the main plot and various subplots in such a way that you simply have to tune in to see what goes down from here.
Old 01-08-15, 09:27 PM

that was fun as heck. Totally over the top soap opera with the urban and hip hop angle.

If there was anything that wasn't written that well, it was the gay son story with Jamal. I think it could have been written smarter. The flashback with him as a kid prancing around in women's clothes and in high heels, which pissed off Lucious was IMO very over the top and stereotypical. The adult Jamal was far from some over the top sissy boy.

Its funny that you say that Lee Daniels says that character is based on him, and the relationship that he had with his father.
Old 01-08-15, 09:36 PM
DVD Talk God

Originally Posted by movie diva
Its funny that you say that Lee Daniels says that character is based on him, and the relationship that he had with his father.
Oh wow, didn't realize that. I'm not too familiar with Lee Daniels and his background.
Old 01-09-15, 12:43 AM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 812 Likes on 686 Posts

I thought it was a fairly entertaining pilot. I did get the impression this was going to be the black version of Nashville, mixed with a little Dynasty.

The tone and premise feel like a show that was originally pitched and intended for FX. If it had landed on Fox's cable outlet, I imagine the sex and violence would have been ratcheted up.
Old 01-09-15, 07:41 PM
DVD Talk God

Received 617 Likes on 496 Posts

Originally Posted by lisadoris
There were a ton of cliches but the series is straight out of the Dynasty/Dallas playbook with a hip hop twist. Henson is a hoot and I'll keep watching just to see the crazy she's bringing to her character.
Nice and cheesy/trashy. Just the way it should be. More Dynasty than Dallas (even with the sons competition) IMO.
Old 01-14-15, 09:59 AM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Caught this on Monday hoping to see a new Gotham. I was pissed. But, you know what, I loved it!!!!!!! That Garbage can scene was like a punch in the gut. Hard to watch. And to learn that it really happened.
Old 01-14-15, 12:34 PM

Loved Cookie. She absolutely stole the show. Taraji P. Henson was so over the top and awesome. She kind of reminded me of a black Alexis from Dynasty.
I thought the exact same thing! I have a thing for nighttime soap opera with some good scenery chewing.

I'm actually shocked there's even a thread here for this show.
Old 01-14-15, 02:47 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Can't wait for the second episode.
Old 01-15-15, 11:23 AM
DVD Talk Special Edition

We haven't watched it yet here, but...

'Empire' ratings surprise and rise

Empire had 10.3 million viewers and a 4.0 rating among adults 18-49, up 5 percent. While Idol (10.5 million and a 2.9 rating), went down 9 percent. Empire easily topped the night, beating every other broadcast show.
Old 01-15-15, 12:28 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 1,022 Likes on 812 Posts

Reality TV is finally taking a hit, shocking.
Old 01-17-15, 04:33 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 1,022 Likes on 812 Posts

Sure there was some other cliches like the smart educated son being married to a white woman, but it's a soap opera, it comes with the territory. I'll be back next week. Looks like they have some more potential craziness.
What's so odd about the whole gay angle is that the pilot was created/directed/written by Lee Daniels, who is gay and apparently had some violent throwdowns with his dad. And it really was heavy handed and poorly done, then again the fact they didn't even try to make the characters look younger was also odd.

I hope Henson is getting well compensated on this show, she's keeping it afloat. The score is straight up soap opera and it's hilarious.

Last edited by RichC2; 01-17-15 at 04:51 PM.
Old 01-17-15, 04:36 PM
DVD Talk God

Empire (S1E02) - "The Outspoken King" - 1/14/15

A FAMILY FACE-OFF ON AN ALL-NEW "EMPIRE" WEDNESDAY, JANUARY 14, ON FOX

Lucious must defend Empire's IPO launch after controversies arise around one of his artists being involved in a shooting, and Cookie proves to be invaluable by helping Lucious turn a crisis into a triumph. Competition between Lucious and Cookie heats up when Cookie hears of Lucious's plan to stage a huge performance for Hakeem - but not Jamal. Meanwhile, the police begin to investigate Bunkie's murder in the all-new "The Outspoken King" episode of EMPIRE airing Wednesday, Jan. 14 (9:01-10:00 PM ET/PT) on FOX. (EMP-102) (TV-14 D, L, S, V)

Read more: Listings - EMPIRE on FOX | TheFutonCritic.com http://www.thefutoncritic.com/listin...#ixzz3PV1PPLcA

Empire was renewed for a second season today FYI.

Last edited by dex14; 01-21-15 at 04:53 PM.
Old 01-17-15, 04:47 PM
DVD Talk God

Received 617 Likes on 496 Posts

Shocking. And you made it a season thread.

Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.