Go Back  DVD Talk Forum > DVD Discussions > DVD Reviews and Recommendations
Reload this Page >

"Idle Hands" Reviews/Discussion - 2015 Horror Challenge: Day 30

Community
Search
DVD Reviews and Recommendations Read, Post and Request DVD Reviews.

Search this Thread

Old 09-22-15, 11:07 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Location: Somewhere Hot Scoville Units: 9,999,999 Zodiac Sign: Capricorn
Received 811 Likes on 316 Posts

Idle Hands (1999)

Selected by rbrown498

IMDB ENTRY

ALYXSTARR LINK

These "October Horror Movie Challenge" threads are for the discussion of the films in the 31 FILM SUBSET list.

The plan is for everyone to watch this film on the October day in the thread title, and to start discussing it the morning of the following day.
You may start discussion early if you want, but the preferred plan is for this to be as much of a group exercise as possible, with all of us viewing it "together" and discussing after.

Of course, you are totally encouraged to participate in these threads even if you haven't watched the movie on the designated day.
Even if you haven't watched it in years, or are not participating in the Horror Challenge, please feel free to chime in.

Spoiler tags aren't always used in here, so if you have yet to see the film BEWARE OF POSSIBLE SPOILERS.

S
P
O
N
S
O
R
E
D

B
Y

S
P
O
N
S
O
R
E
D

B
Y

2015 DISCUSSION | 2015 LISTS

Last edited by Chad; 10-01-15 at 07:56 PM.
Old 09-23-15, 01:50 AM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 329 Likes on 200 Posts
Re: "Idle Hands" Reviews/Discussion - 2015 Horror Challenge: Day 30

Go, go Buffalo!
Old 09-24-15, 02:37 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Received 40 Likes on 25 Posts

Damn Fox has her name on the poster but not Alba
Old 09-24-15, 03:27 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 114 Likes on 101 Posts

^Alba was largely unknown at that time....Not to mention, a little more cuter back then (Her lips shrunk by the mid-2000s)
Old 09-25-15, 07:18 PM
DVD Talk Reviewer & TOAT Winner

Received 333 Likes on 252 Posts

I have the 35mm trailer for this somewhere. The theatrical release bombed since it had the unfortunate timing of coming out right after the Colorado school shooting happened.
Old 09-26-15, 01:51 AM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 329 Likes on 200 Posts

I remember liking the commentary on this one too if anyone was interested in revisiting it but not wanting to doubletread on material.
Old 10-14-15, 12:15 AM
DVD Talk Ultimate Edition

Received 213 Likes on 140 Posts

Overall Idle Hands it hit or miss, not great but does enough different to deserve the attention it gets. More a comedy than a horror film, it does a good job of amping up horror scenarios to be so outlandish. I love the introductory segment with the parents being killed and the proceeding irreverent tone although much of the humor ends up being more zany than funny. The cinematography is interesting; with the colored lights and a subtle cartoonish vibe (facial closeups with out of focus backgrounds, tilted angles).

Some of the early "stoner comedy" comes across as pretentious... I get that the point is to make it painfully obvious the guy is a slacker but it doesn't seem natural enough even if that might have been necessary to sell that cringe worthy ending. Eventually the undead buddies become one of the more effective (or least obnoxious) comedic relief pairing (which might work especially well since it matches the overall film being cartoonish/comedic) - certainly they're better than the bumbling cops from Last House on the Left earlier this month.
Originally Posted by SterlingBen
I remember liking the commentary on this one...
It's a shame they didn't port any of the DVD extras over to the blu-ray.

Last edited by Undeadcow; 10-14-15 at 12:29 AM.
Old 10-23-15, 10:18 AM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 1,192 Likes on 918 Posts

I remember Dexter from Offspring getting scalped by the evil hand on stage.
Old 10-30-15, 08:47 AM
Challenge Guru & Comic Nerd

Received 680 Likes on 456 Posts

I think this was one of my first blind buys back in the day. Worked out well.
Old 10-30-15, 04:47 PM

Received 72 Likes on 51 Posts

I feel like this was very so-so, some scenes are mildly funny but the killing scenes show some promise. I've never really been that impressed with the killer hand story so that doesn't help things. I do think that Seth Green and Jessica Alba are great so I enjoy their presence here.
Old 10-30-15, 06:36 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 754 Likes on 491 Posts

This was my second time watching this film. I wasn't that big of a fan of it the first time I saw it, and my opinion hasn't changed all that much. I guess it's OK, but it's nothing very special to me. The comedy is very hit and miss. I guess mainly a miss for me. In fairness, I watched it this year with a couple of friends who had also already seen it as well, and they were laughing and having a lot of fun with it. So, I can understand why it has its fan, but I wouldn't count myself as one of them.
Old 10-31-15, 01:30 AM

Received 230 Likes on 167 Posts

I always have a great time with this film, and I think that Seth Green and Elden Henson make it worth watching (well, them and Jessica Alba). I love all the scenes with the dog; I don't think that I've EVER seen a better straight man. The soundtrack's great, the dialogue is imminently quotable...and it's even set around Halloween! I can't ask for much more than this film gives. The commentary's great, too, from what I remember.
Old 10-31-15, 08:03 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 1,081 Likes on 656 Posts

This was just eh. Most of the humor is a miss and I only chuckled to myself once or twice.

Nothing to see here. Move along. Move along.
Old 10-31-15, 10:11 AM

Received 75 Likes on 39 Posts

Originally Posted by Undeadcow
Some of the early "stoner comedy" comes across as pretentious... I get that the point is to make it painfully obvious the guy is a slacker but it doesn't seem natural enough even if that might have been necessary to sell that cringe worthy ending. Eventually the undead buddies become one of the more effective (or least obnoxious) comedic relief pairing..
Perhaps it's because I don't have the requisite life experiences/friends, but I am totally fed up with drug sequences: they seem unreal, stupid, unnecessary and irritating. So I was concerned at the start here that I'd hate this film.

Fortunately, the drugs (mostly) took a back seat to some really-impressive hand acting, and the whole turned out very enjoyably.

The comic duo were OK, the ending was daft and the ghost hunter seemed... odd, but overall there was more to like than not.
Old 11-02-15, 07:35 AM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Received 145 Likes on 97 Posts

Originally Posted by ntnon
Perhaps it's because I don't have the requisite life experiences/friends, but I am totally fed up with drug sequences: they seem unreal, stupid, unnecessary and irritating. So I was concerned at the start here that I'd hate this film.

Fortunately, the drugs (mostly) took a back seat to some really-impressive hand acting, and the whole turned out very enjoyably.

The comic duo were OK, the ending was daft and the ghost hunter seemed... odd, but overall there was more to like than not.
I was the most glad when it was over. Didn't much care for this one.