Go Back  DVD Talk Forum > DVD Discussions > DVD Reviews and Recommendations
Reload this Page >

"Theatrical Showing" Reviews/Discussion - 2015 Horror Challenge: Bonus Day

Community
Search
DVD Reviews and Recommendations Read, Post and Request DVD Reviews.

Search this Thread

Old 09-22-15, 10:26 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Location: Somewhere Hot Scoville Units: 9,999,999 Zodiac Sign: Capricorn
Received 811 Likes on 316 Posts

Theatrical Showing

Goosebumps | Crimson Peak
Paranormal Activity: The Ghost Dimension
Scouts Guide to the Zombie Apocalypse
A Christmas Horror Story | Deathgasm
The Final Girls | Knock Knock
Bastard | Unnatural | Suspension
Lumberjack Man | The Wicked Within |Re-Kill
Goodnight Mommy | The Green Inferno
Cooties | Some Kind of Hate
Tales of Halloween | Gravy
Hellions | Pay the Ghost | The Visit

Attending a theatrical showing allows you to obtain a bonus entry. If you missed a day, this means you can still check off the subset list as being complete.
The same goes for attending a live event such as a horror convention, haunted house, play, ghost tour, etc. You have one.

These "October Horror Movie Challenge" threads are for the discussion of the films in the 31 FILM SUBSET list.

The plan is for everyone to watch this film on the October day in the thread title, and to start discussing it the morning of the following day.
You may start discussion early if you want, but the preferred plan is for this to be as much of a group exercise as possible, with all of us viewing it "together" and discussing after.

Of course, you are totally encouraged to participate in these threads even if you haven't watched the movie on the designated day.
Even if you haven't watched it in years, or are not participating in the Horror Challenge, please feel free to chime in.

Spoiler tags aren't always used in here, so if you have yet to see the film BEWARE OF POSSIBLE SPOILERS.

S
P
O
N
S
O
R
E
D

B
Y

S
P
O
N
S
O
R
E
D

B
Y

2015 DISCUSSION | 2015 LISTS

Last edited by Chad; 09-27-15 at 03:46 PM.
Old 10-05-15, 01:40 AM
DVD Talk Ultimate Edition

Received 229 Likes on 166 Posts
Re: "Theatrical Showing" Reviews/Discussion - 2015 Horror Challenge: Bonus Day

I saw The Green Inferno today. I wasn't expecting much from it and, perhaps because of my lowered expectations, I ended up enjoying it WAY more than I thought that I would. It's juvenile and dumb and nowhere near a classic, but I certainly felt like I got my money's worth of entertainment out of it.

I have a feeling that most people will despise it, and I'm okay with that. I had a good time.
Old 10-25-15, 01:18 AM

Received 213 Likes on 140 Posts

I'm surprised some of the more promising horror movies aren't readily available in theaters near me (aka Houston, third-ish largest city in America). Green Inferno was live for like 2 weeks, same with Xmas Horror Story, no Final Girls, etc...

Crimson Peak had really obnoxious art design and was predictable but near the end something clicked and I enjoyed it more than I expected. Del Toro could use more restrain and his movies often end up being a little too 'fantasy' for my tastes.

I saw Hotel Transylvania 2 earlier this month and enjoyed that, it was better than the first and a nice comedy family friendly diversion.
Old 10-30-15, 04:51 PM

Received 72 Likes on 51 Posts

I really enjoyed Crimson Peak but Del Toro is probably one of my top 3 directors. This movie was a little more predictable than some others maybe but I thought the atmosphere was great. I do know that many didn't seem to enjoy it so I'm in the minority here but I thought it was excellent.
Old 10-30-15, 08:22 PM
Challenge Guru & Comic Nerd

Received 678 Likes on 454 Posts

Saw Crimson Peak today. Went in completely blind other than knowing the genre, didn't even know it was Del Toro until the credits. I think I was expecting a modern film with disaster besetting a climbing expedition. Enjoyed it a bit, but I don't think there was anything original in it.
Old 10-30-15, 10:48 PM

Received 213 Likes on 140 Posts

Freaks of Nature is decent if you go in expecting a comedy first and a 'horror' movie last, the vampires/zombies/etc are just sort of randomly inserted without obvious relevance (other than maybe exaggerated social metaphor) but it's far out enough that it ends up being energetic and fun. There's some odd crude humor but it also has a level of intelligence that makes it worth seeing if nothing to get excited about. It effectively pulls in high school drama elements.

Scout's Guide to the Zombie Apocalypse was rarely more than cute and it was overly dedicated to the 'scout' joke. It's like an inferior version of Zombieland... overall forgettable with occasional moments of that stood-out... if you're hard up for another modern zombie rom com then maybe give it a try just brace yourself for iffy joke and a thin plot.

Paranormal Activity: Ghost Dimension was a letdown, it's disappointing to see them resort to inferior effects and doesn't offer much to standout within the lackluster later series installments. If you've invested time into the series so far it's probably worth a rental to see but otherwise a continuity heavy retread that at least shows a dedication to mythos.

Hotel Transylvania 2 might be the best "horror" movie I've seen in theaters this season...
Old 10-30-15, 11:46 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 1,076 Likes on 651 Posts

^Go see Goosebumps. It is a lot of fun.
Old 10-30-15, 11:53 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 379 Likes on 236 Posts

Originally Posted by Undeadcow
Hotel Transylvania 2 might be the best "horror" movie I've seen in theaters this season...
Originally Posted by Spiderbite
^Go see Goosebumps. It is a lot of fun.
Debating between the 2 of these. May end up at Hotel Transylvania 2 tomorrow afternoon. The kids seem more excited about that one.
Old 10-31-15, 10:13 PM

Received 75 Likes on 39 Posts

Originally Posted by Cardsfan111
Debating between the 2 of these. May end up at Hotel Transylvania 2 tomorrow afternoon. The kids seem more excited about that one.
Overall, we preferred Goosebumps, but there were moments in Hotel Transylvania 2 that stood out - a couple of cameos in particular. But the uneven tone of HT2 and its very suspect 'message' lowered it in my personal estimation.