Go Back  DVD Talk Forum > Entertainment Discussions > Movie Talk
Reload this Page >

Mary Poppins Returns (12/25/18, D: Rob Marshall) S: Emily Blunt, Lin-Manuel Miranda

Community
Search
Movie Talk A Discussion area for everything movie related including films In The Theaters

Mary Poppins Returns (12/25/18, D: Rob Marshall) S: Emily Blunt, Lin-Manuel Miranda

Search this Thread

Old 09-14-15, 02:34 PM

Received 4,580 Likes on 3,100 Posts

One of the world’s most cherished characters is about to take flight once more.

EW has learned that Disney is developing a new original live-action musical film featuring the beloved magical nanny, Mary Poppins. The studio is bringing back Into the Woods director Rob Marshall and producers John DeLuca and Marc Platt, who successfully shepherded Stephen Sondheim’s Broadway tuner to the big screen for Disney last year.

The new Poppins film will take place in Depression-era London, some 20 years after Disney’s classic Mary Poppins, and will draw from existing Poppins tales in the rest of author P.L. Travers’ 1934-1988 children’s book series. The practically perfect 1964 screen adaptation starring Julie Andrews pulled its story primarily from the first installment in Travers’ eight-book series; the new project (which is decidedly not being developed as a sequel) will explore Mary’s further adventures with the Banks family and beyond as illustrated by Travers’ seven additional novels.

With Marshall helming, songwriting duo Marc Shaiman and Scott Wittman (Hairspray, Smash) are on board to compose original songs and a new score; David Magee (Finding Neverland, Life of Pi) is attached to write the screenplay.

Disney and Marshall are collaborating with the Travers estate and have already earned support from Poppins’ co-composer Richard Sherman, who penned the original film’s famous songs like “Chim Chim Cher-ee” and “Supercalifragilisticexpialidocious” with his late brother, Robert.

Marshall, DeLuca, and Platt remain some of Hollywood’s most active musical players. Marshall’s 2002 Oscar-winning Best Picture, Chicago, is largely credited with ushering in a modern resurgence of the genre; he and DeLuca also collaborated on 2009’s Nine before taking on Into the Woods in 2014. Platt is presently producing Fox’s Grease: Live and another original musical, La La Land, starring Emma Stone and Ryan Gosling. As a key producer of Broadway’s Wicked, he has also long been involved in developing a feature film adaptation of the show.

The world of Mary Poppins was most recently revived onscreen with 2013’s Saving Mr. Banks, which told the story of Travers’ meetings with Walt Disney in the early ’60s as he persuaded her to put Poppins to film.
http://www.ew.com/article/2015/09/14...s-rob-marshall
Old 09-14-15, 03:25 PM
DVD Talk Godfather & 2020 TOTY Winner

Received 6,198 Likes on 4,225 Posts
re: Mary Poppins Returns (12/25/18, D: Rob Marshall) S: Emily Blunt, Lin-Manuel Miranda

Well, there should be only one choice for who should play the lead :
https://screen.yahoo.com/mary-poppins-000000882.html
Old 09-15-15, 01:23 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
re: Mary Poppins Returns (12/25/18, D: Rob Marshall) S: Emily Blunt, Lin-Manuel Miranda

I think this is a terrible idea. Going to have to pull a penguin, two broomsticks and at least a cup of tea out of the umbrella to have this even come close to the original. And besides we've already had Nanny McPhee. Wasn't that the closest we should venture to good old Mary? Next we'll hear they are remaking Chitty Chitty Bang Bang, and this time Chitty is a London bus with dreams of becoming an ambulance.
Old 09-15-15, 09:36 AM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 1,022 Likes on 812 Posts

At least they waited 50 years. I can see it now "Mary Poppins, starring Beyonce."
Old 09-15-15, 06:28 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 482 Likes on 318 Posts

Ah, go fly a kite.
Old 09-17-15, 11:52 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Den of Geek is reporting that Emily Blunt is Disney's top choice
Old 09-18-15, 12:41 AM
DVD Talk Platinum Edition

Received 93 Likes on 59 Posts

^ That actually works for me.

Some properties are held sacred, even if they aren't an ideal representation of the source material. Take "The Wizard of Oz", for instance. Every new adaption has to be a "reimagined" or hip version (like that shitty "Tin Man" miniseries) because the public would unfavorably compare a direct adaption with the classic MGM musical. Just look at all the venom critics spewed on Return to Oz.

It's well known Travers loathed the Disney movie and only signed over the rights due to financial issues. I say if there's more material to mine from the Poppins books, why not give it another go? The original is a classic, but I'd be curious to see what they can come up with. Not really a fan of Marshall's work, but I'll keep an open mind until I see a trailer.
Old 09-18-15, 12:57 AM
DVD Talk God

Received 3,639 Likes on 2,612 Posts

Originally Posted by Rypro 525
Den of Geek is reporting that Emily Blunt is Disney's top choice
Does Emily Blunt have any singing ability? (If this is produced as a musical like the original)

I was thinking Anne Hathaway could pull it off and she does sing.
Old 09-18-15, 01:06 AM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Received 20 Likes on 13 Posts

Originally Posted by DJariya
Does Emily Blunt have any singing ability? (If this is produced as a musical like the original)

I was thinking Anne Hathaway could pull it off and she does sing.

Have you already forgotten she was in Rob Marshall's last movie, "Into the Woods"? Yes, she sang in that. I haven't seen it, so couldn't tell you if she actually sang well or not.

I don't see them casting a non-Brit for the role.
Old 09-18-15, 02:36 AM
DVD Talk Platinum Edition

Received 93 Likes on 59 Posts

Originally Posted by collven
I haven't seen it, so couldn't tell you if she actually sang well or not.
She's no Julie Andrews (like that's a fair comparison), but she got the job done.

<iframe width="560" height="315" src="https://www.youtube.com/embed/qizSpahbQ4Y" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen></iframe>

Last edited by joe_b; 09-18-15 at 02:43 AM.
Old 09-18-15, 07:48 AM
DVD Talk Hero

fwiw, Julie Andrews didn't have to flex the pipes as much in Poppins as some other movies in her career so while Blunt may not compare, she doesn't really need to.

Julie Andrews turns 80 in a couple weeks, so she was only what, 28/29 in Poppins?

All I know is whoever plays Poppins needs to immediately star in a remake of S.O.B. as well.

Last edited by RichC2; 09-18-15 at 07:55 AM.
Old 02-18-16, 04:49 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 729 Likes on 532 Posts

Emily Blunt in Talks to Play Mary Poppins in Disney Sequel (EXCLUSIVE)
FEBRUARY 18, 2016 | 02:35PM PT
Justin Kroll
Film Reporter
@krolljvar

Emily Blunt is in talks to star in Disney’s sequel to “Mary Poppins” with Rob Marshall set to direct.

John DeLuca and Marc Platt will serve as producers on the pic. Sources say Blunt has always been the favorite since all four worked together on “Into the Woods.” With Disney looking to get the film into production soon, the studio recently met with the actress to discuss the idea of playing the magical nanny.

The deal is not yet set in stone due to scheduling. News also recently broke that she is expecting her second child and that may play into her decision.

Insiders confirm the new film will take place in Depression-era London 20 years after the first film and will take story lines from P.L. Travers’ children books focusing on the magical nanny’s continued adventures with the Banks family.

The original film starred Julie Andrews and Dick Van Dyke in the story of a nanny who came to work for a banker’s unhappy family in pre-World War I England. The film was a huge hit, grossing $100 million at the box office, and earned five Oscars including one for Andrews as best actress.

Disney has reaped rewards recently by turning classic animated pics like “Alice in Wonderland” and “Cinderella” into live action hits, and is now turning its attention to its collection of live-action films.

Blunt has shown her range in comedies like “The Devil Wears Prada” and “Five Year Engagement,” action-heavy pics like “Sicario” and “Edge of Tomorrow” and adult dramas like the upcoming “The Girl on the Train.” Blunt can be seen next in “The Huntsman: Winter’s War.”

She is repped by CAA and The Artists Partnership.
Old 02-18-16, 04:54 PM
DVD Talk Godfather

Received 1,016 Likes on 840 Posts

Blunt was fine in Into the Woods, and if this is a new score they can tailor it to her if necessary. I'd bet that some of the original songs will sneak in in one form or another.
Old 02-18-16, 04:59 PM
HN
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 64 Likes on 39 Posts

sounds like a proper sequel and not remake. would make sense to have new music.

and yes, Blunt is fine indeed
Old 02-24-16, 12:48 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 729 Likes on 532 Posts

‘Hamilton’s’ Lin-Manuel Miranda in Talks for ‘Mary Poppins’ Sequel (EXCLUSIVE)
FEBRUARY 24, 2016 | 10:28AM PT
Justin Kroll
Film Reporter
@krolljvar

“Hamilton” creator Lin-Manuel Miranda is in talks to co-star with Emily Blunt in Disney’s “Mary Poppins” sequel.

Miranda is in talks to play Jack, a lamplighter resembling the character of Bert, who was famously played by Dick Van Dyke in the 1964 classic.

John DeLuca and Marc Platt will serve as producers on the pic with “Into the Woods” helmer Rob Marshall directing the film.

Insiders confirm the new film will take place in Depression-era London (when the books were originally written and 20 years after the first film was set) and will take story lines from P.L. Travers’ books focusing on Poppins’ continued adventures with the Banks family.

The original film starred Julie Andrews and Van Dyke in the story of a nanny who came to work for a banker’s unhappy family in pre-World War I England. The film was a huge hit, grossing $100 million at the box office, and earned five Oscars, including one for Andrews as best actress.

The studio already has strong ties with Miranda, who helped compose original music for “Star Wars: the Force Awakens” as well as their upcoming animated tale “Moana.”

Miranda is not only the star of “Hamilton” — he also penned the musical’s script and songs. He’s expected to play a part in developing new songs for the Poppins sequel as well.

He is repped by WME.
Old 02-24-16, 12:51 PM

So Blunt is a lock? Last I heard she was still deciding. I'd be really happy if she is in the role. I wonder if Hathaway is pissed.
Old 02-24-16, 01:54 PM

Received 61 Likes on 39 Posts

Originally Posted by dex14
So Blunt is a lock? Last I heard she was still deciding. I'd be really happy if she is in the role. I wonder if Hathaway is pissed.
Yeah, all those English actors taking all the English roles from Americans.
Old 02-24-16, 11:14 PM

I'm on board. Miranda rapped his Grammy acceptance speech. One of the most amazing awards-show stunts I've seen in over thirty-five years of watching awards shows.
<iframe-disabled-disabled-disabled width="853" height="480" src="https://www.youtube.com/embed/C7tkP3emR9I" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen></iframe-disabled-disabled-disabled>

edit : I can't post You Tube clips now? What's wrong with the forum? Anyway, you can watch it here:
https://youtu.be/C7tkP3emR9I

Last edited by Decker; 02-24-16 at 11:22 PM.
Old 05-31-16, 02:51 PM

Walt Disney Pictures have officially announced that Emily Blunt and Lin-Manuel Miranda are set to star in their “Mary Poppins” sequel and have also dated the pic for December 25, 2018.

Variety first reported that both Blunt and Miranda were in talks for the film, titled “Mary Poppins Returns.”

Reuniting the director and producing team behind Disney’s hit musical “Into the Woods,” the film will be directed by Rob Marshall and produced by Marshall, John DeLuca and Marc Platt.

“The iconic original film means so much to me personally, and I look forward to creating an original movie musical that can bring Mary Poppins, and her message that childlike wonder can be found in even the most challenging of times, to a whole new generation,” says Marshall.

David Magee will pen the screenplay, based on The Mary Poppins Stories by P.L. Travers, with Marc Shaiman composing an all-new score and Shaiman and Emmy nominee and Tony Award winner Scott Wittman writing original songs.

Blunt has been cast as Mary Poppins and Miranda will play a new character, a street lamplighter named Jack. Drawing from the wealth of material in P.L. Travers’ seven additional novels, the story will take place in Depression-era London (when the books were originally written) and follows a now-grown Jane and Michael Banks, who, along with Michael’s three children, are visited by the enigmatic Mary Poppins following a personal loss. Through her unique magical skills, and with the aid of her friend Jack, she helps the family rediscover the joy and wonder missing in their lives.

Disney recently confirmed that it is planning to make “Cruella,” an “101 Dalmatians” spin-off with Emma Stone, as well as sequels to “Jungle Book” and “Maleficent.”
http://variety.com/2016/film/news/di...el-1201785893/
Old 05-31-16, 04:55 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 1,300 Likes on 944 Posts
Re: Mary Poppins Returns (12/25/18, D: Rob Marshall) S: Emily Blunt, Lin-Manuel Mira

I am skeptical but am interested in seeing what they can do.
Old 05-31-16, 05:36 PM
Banned

Location: Conducting miss-aisle drills and listening to their rock n roll
Received 168 Likes on 126 Posts
Re: Mary Poppins Returns (12/25/18, D: Rob Marshall) S: Emily Blunt, Lin-Manuel Mira

When was the last time an original musical was brought to the screen? Not something adapted from a Broadway show or a Disney Channel kids thing. They are rare. The odds are against this being a hit. We shall see.
Old 06-01-16, 08:59 AM
RIP

Received 54 Likes on 41 Posts

Rob Marshall. No thanks.
Old 06-01-16, 09:02 AM
DVD Talk Hero

I felt like he crushed it with Chicago, everything else? Not so much.
Old 06-01-16, 10:11 AM
Banned by request

Received 778 Likes on 582 Posts

Funny because I think Chicago was one of the worst musicals I've seen adapted on the big screen. But I'm biased cause I thought the songs sucked. But I love Mary Poppins, so if he keeps it in the same spirit, then I'm game.
Old 06-01-16, 10:42 AM

Originally Posted by Mabuse
When was the last time an original musical was brought to the screen? Not something adapted from a Broadway show or a Disney Channel kids thing. They are rare. The odds are against this being a hit. We shall see.

Now if you're talking live action, then yeah, they're rare.

And if you're talking live action with original songs? Then you're in unicorn land

Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.