Go Back  DVD Talk Forum > Shopping Discussions > Blu-ray Bargains
Reload this Page >

Whatever happened to individual title threads?

Community
Search
Blu-ray Bargains Post and Discuss Blu-ray Related Bargains

Search this Thread

Old 09-05-15, 04:21 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 1,243 Likes on 854 Posts

I appreciate the hard work that folks around here have put in over the years. I liked being able to come here to see what store had the best deal or exclusives for bigger titles. Whatever happened to individual title threads for price/version comparisons?
Old 09-05-15, 04:45 PM
Challenge Guru & Comic Nerd

Received 676 Likes on 452 Posts
Re: Whatever happened to individual title threads?

Originally Posted by Abob Teff
I appreciate the hard work that folks around here have put in over the years. I liked being able to come here to see what store had the best deal or exclusives for bigger titles. Whatever happened to individual title threads for price/version comparisons?
Why don't you start the ball rolling again and do one?
Old 09-05-15, 05:28 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts

I see twelve of them on the first page alone.
Old 09-05-15, 07:11 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 1,243 Likes on 854 Posts

Trevor, I didn't know if there is a reason they have faded away. That's what I'm asking. Is there a specific reason there is not a "Mad Max: Fury Road Bargains" (or any title) thread? If not, then I suppose can push the ball a little harder.

Overpar, I must still be using newbie settings after 16 years.
Old 09-05-15, 08:02 PM

I think it's just the general collapse of media. Most people don't care to own anymore.
Old 09-05-15, 08:28 PM
DVD Talk Reviewer

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

Some of that bargain/pricing/stock discussion has been happening in the primary threads in the HD section, too.
Old 09-05-15, 10:06 PM
Banned

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Trevor, I didn't know if there is a reason they have faded away. That's what I'm asking. Is there a specific reason there is not a "Mad Max: Fury Road Bargains" (or any title) thread? If not, then I suppose can push the ball a little harder.

Overpar, I must still be using newbie settings after 16 years.
Yeah. The HD specific thread titles kind of handles that now.
Old 09-05-15, 11:37 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 3,191 Likes on 2,059 Posts

I always appreciated those threads mostly for the discussion about store exclusives. It was a lot easier going through the options and deciding which exclusive to buy with individual threads than it is now. There's a lot of off topic discussions to slog through just to find out which store exclusive I want when it's all confined to a single general release date thread.
Old 09-06-15, 06:13 AM

Originally Posted by GoldenJCJ
I always appreciated those threads mostly for the discussion about store exclusives. It was a lot easier going through the options and deciding which exclusive to buy with individual threads than it is now. There's a lot of off topic discussions to slog through just to find out which store exclusive I want when it's all confined to a single general release date thread.
So you all are saying that you miss the below?
Spoiler:
Big Release Comparisons

store
Lakeview Terrace
exclusive?
title variation
exclusive?
Blu-ray
exclusive?
Best Buy
$17
n/a
$27
Circuit City
liquidation
n/a
liquidation
Target
$18
n/a
$27
Wal-Mart
$20
bundled w/ S.W.A.T. for $20
n/a
$28
Amazon
$20
n/a
$27
Deep Discount
$23
n/a
$28
misc store
$
$
$

store
Pride & Glory
exclusive?
Pride & Glory: 2 Disc Edition w/Digital Copy
exclusive?
Blu-ray
exclusive?
Best Buy
$17
$23
$27
Circuit City
liquidation
liquidation
liquidation
Target
$18
??
$27
Wal-Mart
$20
$24
$25
Amazon
$17
$24
$25
Deep Discount
$22
$27
$28
misc store
$
$
$

store
Vicky Cristina Barcelona
exclusive?
title variation
exclusive?
Blu-ray
exclusive?
Best Buy
$20
n/a
$30
Circuit City
liquidation
n/a
liquidation
Target
$17
n/a
$30
Wal-Mart
$18
n/a
$24
Amazon
$18
n/a
$24
Deep Discount
$23
n/a
$26
misc store
$
$
$

store
Fireproof
exclusive?
title variation
exclusive?
Blu-ray
exclusive?
Best Buy
$17
n/a
n/a
Circuit City
liquidation
n/a
n/a
Target
$17
n/a
n/a
Wal-Mart
$17
bundled with Flywheel for $20
n/a
n/a
Amazon
$17
n/a
n/a
Deep Discount
$23
n/a
n/a
misc store
$
$
$

store
Mary Poppins: 45th Anniversary Edition
exclusive?
title variation
exclusive?
Blu-ray
exclusive?
Best Buy
$20
n/a
n/a
Circuit City
liquidation
n/a
n/a
Target
$18
n/a
n/a
Wal-Mart
$22
n/a
n/a
Amazon
$22
n/a
n/a
Deep Discount
$22
n/a
n/a
misc store
$
n/a
n/a

store
Hulk vs
exclusive?
Hulk vs : 2 Disc Special Edition
exclusive?
Blu-ray
exclusive?
Best Buy
$13
$18
trading cards
$25
2 packs trading cards
Circuit City
liquidation
liquidation
liquidation
Target
$15
CD-Rom comic
$20
CD-Rom comic
$20
Wal-Mart
$15
$19
$20
Amazon
$15
$18
$20
Deep Discount
$15
$21
$23
misc store
$
$
$

These weekly threads are for price comparisons of all the big new releases, and the posting and discussion of that particular week's store exclusives and freebies.

These lists will likely be incomplete until Wednesday or so, since DVDs are released on Tuesday and one of us needs to visit all the stores to confirm things.

Links to the master list and to the previous and next week's thread are below.

Volunteers needed: I regularly go to Best Buy, Circuit City, Target, and Walmart; but don't visit the other stores every week. If you work at or regularly go to the FYE/TWEC chains, Costco, Borders, K-mart/Sears, Barnes and Noble, Blockbuster, Hot Topic, or any other store that has DVD exclusives; we'd appreciate any updates you could give us.

All Stores - Thread for all movie cash and free ticket deals
tons of free movie deals at various retailers, see the above linked thread for full details

Best Buy -
Hulk vs - trading cards with 2 disc SE (1 pack) and blu-ray (2 packs) only
Open Season 2 - bundled in larger box with backpack
WWE Legends Exclusive (Vol. 4-6)

Target -
Open Season 2 - bonus DVD
Hulk Vs. - bonus CD-Rom on both SD releases (not on blu-ray)

Circuit City -
liquidation sale in progress
I searched and found nothing new

Wal Mart / Sam's Club -
Hulk Vs. 2 disc edition - mini comic
Open Season 2 - bundled with plush

K-Mart/Sears -

FYE/Sam Goody/other TWEC -
nothing found

Barnes and Noble -

Borders -

Costco -
Open Season 2 - bundled with Pez Dispenser

GameStop / MovieStop - I have not been in the store to verify all new exclusives; has anyone else been there?

Blockbuster -

Hot Topic - I have not been in the store to verify all new exclusives; has anyone else been there?

Toys-R-Us -

The Disney Store - I have not been in the store to verify all new exclusives; has anyone else been there?

Meijers - I have not been in the store to verify all new exclusives; has anyone else been there?

Ralph's - I have not been in the store to verify all new exclusives; has anyone else been there?

Hastings - I have not been in the store to verify all new exclusives; has anyone else been there?

Acme / Albertson's - I have not been in the store to verify all new exclusives; has anyone else been there?

Giant Food / Giant Eagle - I have not been in the store to verify all new exclusives; has anyone else been there?

Fred Meyer - I have not been in the store to verify all new exclusives; has anyone else been there?

Canadian Exclusives - I have not been in the stores to verify all new exclusives; has anyone else been there?

Yeah, I miss those too.
Old 09-06-15, 12:09 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 807 Likes on 681 Posts

Generally there are fewer active posters these days making informative bargain posts. Would an Amazon deal ever be posted if Lizard didn't post his lists of price declines?
Old 09-06-15, 12:40 PM
DVD Talk Reviewer

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

Originally Posted by PhantomStranger
Generally there are fewer active posters these days making informative bargain posts. Would an Amazon deal ever be posted if Lizard didn't post his lists of price declines?
Well, Amazon hasn't exactly been on fire in the deals department for some time now, which doesn't help there. Most of the noteworthy ones still seem to make it to the board, though.
Old 09-06-15, 05:49 PM
kd5
DVD Talk Legend

Received 373 Likes on 253 Posts

Originally Posted by Trevor
I think it's just the general collapse of media. Most people don't care to own anymore.
I hope that's not true. I for one still appreciate finding the best deal on specific titles. While I might not have the patience/perserverance to take up a project like this myself, I would certainly appreciate if something like that made a presence here. Of couse, as with anyone, it depends on the title...
Old 09-07-15, 07:42 AM
Banned

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I think a number of things have led to a general decline in interest:

The economy and the growth of digital streaming services have certainly played a role. However, left out of this equation is the role Amazon has played in the death of specialty retailing. There was a time when Tuesdays meant that shelves would be filled to the brim with new releases and shiny, new catalog titles. You could see them for yourself, hold them in your hand—and then you impulsively made the purchase. Today many stores are gone and surviving retailers like Best Buy have severely restricted the real estate devoted to physical media.

So in turn, the studios have cut back or abandoned releasing catalog titles altogether. That makes it relatively easy to price shop for yourself. In general, there are but a handful of online stores to compare pricing.

Locally, we have a chain of privately owned stores called Zia Record Exchange. This Labor Day weekend they had a buy 3 and get 1 free sale on used media and the 3 stores I visited were busy as hell. I actually prefer shopping there as I add catalog titles to my collection. I can find many out-or-print titles in mint condition with pristine slipcovers at a fraction of Amazon's prices. As people sell off their collections to acquire cash, these venues become a treasure trove for collectors.
Old 09-07-15, 01:15 PM
DVD Talk Hero

I now browse Barnes & Noble for catalog media. They've gotten better about pricing if you look through their sale items. Amazon has pretty much wiped out the niche music and movie sellers across the country that would carry stuff you wouldn't see at Target or Walmart.
Old 09-07-15, 06:15 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 124 Likes on 98 Posts

Originally Posted by kd5
I hope that's not true. I for one still appreciate finding the best deal on specific titles. While I might not have the patience/perserverance to take up a project like this myself, I would certainly appreciate if something like that made a presence here. Of couse, as with anyone, it depends on the title...
Most under 40's (& certainly 99% of the millennials) have no use for physical media.

With the rise of hi-res music downloads (much higher quality then cd), I now prefer my music as files (& I'm 57), though i still prefer Video on disc.

And I'm not about to pay the majors $10-$20 for burned discs on crappy media for films that were available on real dvd last year for $5 at Big Lots & I will have to rip & re-burn before their crummy off brand dvdr blanks go bad.
Old 09-07-15, 10:34 PM
DVD Talk Ultimate Edition

Received 74 Likes on 38 Posts

Originally Posted by kd5
My take is not that sales are necessarily down, but that INSTANT PURCHASES are down. So many things are moderately-discounted in the first week... and then half-price (or less) within a few months.

Much easier to check the bargain threads for things that came out three months ago than worrying over comparisons of this weeks' releases.

(Of course, this often means missing the exclusive bonus bits, but... if those are desperately good, they do tend to be mentioned here. Plus, it's really only BB and Target that have instant-sell-out bonuses, isn't it..?)
Old 09-08-15, 12:57 AM
DVD Talk Hero

The bonuses are getting rarer and rarer these days. There is almost no reason to purchase first-week new releases any more.
Old 09-08-15, 06:41 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 427 Likes on 291 Posts

This. There are other sites that are very active for posting deals. This is no longer one of them. I don't come here for the deals anymore. Just the chit chat.
Old 09-08-15, 12:23 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts

Version comparisons for the bigger releases are usually discussed in the other thread

http://forum.dvdtalk.com/hd-talk-55/

Ever since Speedy stopped with the weekly ad postings, most of the store price comparison died down. And on release week, most of the prices were the same anyways.
Old 09-08-15, 12:23 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Originally Posted by stingermck
This. There are other sites that are very active for posting deals. This is no longer one of them. I don't come here for the deals anymore. Just the chit chat.
My witty repartee alone should be enough for anyone.
Old 09-10-15, 09:35 AM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I miss these threads - especially when it came to those releases that had a million different special releases (like steelbooks, art prints, and figures/statues).

With more cable/internet companies limiting data - I prefer physical media and I'm not at the mercy of the network (hoping I can make it through a full movie without buffering)
Old 09-10-15, 09:43 AM
DVD Talk Godfather

Received 1,015 Likes on 839 Posts

Would an Amazon deal ever be posted if Lizard didn't post his lists of price declines?
Not sure if you still read the thread. lizard still has the most comprehensive posts, but there are a variety of contributors talking about deals they find.
Old 09-13-15, 09:13 AM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 133 Likes on 107 Posts

Here's one.. Sort of....

Furious 7 Best Buy