Search
TV Talk Talk about Shows on TV

Ray Donovan (S3E08) -- "Tulip" -- 8/30/15

Search this Thread

Old 08-30-15, 11:46 AM
DVD Talk God

Received 3,641 Likes on 2,613 Posts
Ray Donovan (S3E08) -- "Tulip" -- 8/30/15

“Tulip” Season 3 Episode 8 airs Sunday August 30 2015 at 9:00 PM ET/PT on Showtime. In tonight’s episode, Romero appears at the Fite Club and challenges Ray to repent for his sins.

Episode 8 of 12
Old 09-01-15, 12:29 AM
DVD Talk God

Received 3,641 Likes on 2,613 Posts
Re: Ray Donovan (S3E08) -- "Tulip" -- 8/30/15

Decent episode this week. Glad to see Avi and Ray back on good terms.

The whole Varick and Finney thing was very weird. Once Varick kept pushing the Gay angle on Finney, you knew he was fucked.

Just noticed this. The actress who plays Detective Muncie (the one who interviewed Mick) is the same one who also played a cop on True Detective, who was Colin Farrell's handler.

http://www.imdb.com/name/nm0404924/?ref_=ttfc_fc_cl_t22 Her name is Michael Hyatt. I knew she looked familiar when she appeared last week.

The Bridget subplot is pretty dumb and has been done before on other shows. But, at least the teacher is resisting her advances (for now). With all the child molestation stories going around in the news, this feels a little icky.
Old 09-01-15, 10:01 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 849 Likes on 592 Posts

I wish they didn't do the Bridget/teacher thing - it's tired. Hated that the teacher didn't send her on her way ASAP - instead he took some pills and conveniently fell asleep on the couch while Bridget was there. Pretty contrived.

I figured the Varick/Finney gay thing would end up playing a big factor in the events early on - as there would've been no real reason to bring up that angle. Not sure if it's a set or if it's real - but I love Finney's office.
Old 09-01-15, 10:27 AM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I thought this episode was really structured well, the way they kept you guessing with the grave-digging.

At first it came off as Ray's dream, then he might have been burying the Fish and Game lady after the snakebite, or maybe Romero the Excommunicator, or Paige, or even Finney. Turns out it was none of the above. This season has been really solid.

Originally Posted by Coral
Hated that the teacher didn't send her on her way ASAP - instead he took some pills and conveniently fell asleep on the couch while Bridget was there. Pretty contrived.
Yep. Teenaged kids and their poor decisions just aren't interesting on TV - Tyrant has the same problem. (I've got them in real life so don't want to see them making their dumb mistakes on my entertainment shows. )
Old 09-01-15, 11:59 AM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by DJariya
Decent episode this week. Glad to see Avi and Ray back on good terms.

The whole Varick and Finney thing was very weird. Once Varick kept pushing the Gay angle on Finney, you knew he was fucked.

Just noticed this. The actress who plays Detective Muncie (the one who interviewed Mick) is the same one who also played a cop on True Detective, who was Colin Farrell's handler.

http://www.imdb.com/name/nm0404924/?ref_=ttfc_fc_cl_t22 Her name is Michael Hyatt. I knew she looked familiar when she appeared last week.

The Bridget subplot is pretty dumb and has been done before on other shows. But, at least the teacher is resisting her advances (for now). With all the child molestation stories going around in the news, this feels a little icky.

She will always be Brianna Barksdale from The Wire to me.
Old 09-01-15, 12:00 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 163 Likes on 132 Posts

Originally Posted by DJariya

Yeah, they should have just dropped this plotline. This is probably the worst thing going on the show right now.

I kind of love how Ray's been taking advantage of all the Finney fuck ups to his own personal advantage.
Old 09-01-15, 02:13 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 194 Likes on 156 Posts

Originally Posted by dgmayor
She will always be Brianna Barksdale from The Wire to me.
I always refer to her as "that bitch Brianna Barksdale".

Cosgrove may have picked up a scar, but at least he got his other eye back.

This is the first time that I've ever been current on Ray Donovan so I haven't reviewed past threads. My question is how is it that Ray never has a full beard. It's always the same unshaven length.
Old 09-01-15, 04:24 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 849 Likes on 592 Posts

Originally Posted by mwbmis
My question is how is it that Ray never has a full beard. It's always the same unshaven length.
Yea, I noticed it too. I guess he could be using a beard-trimmer to maintain it's length - but we never see him trimming it. Of course we never see him taking a dump, but I'm sure the character does once in a while. I've always found it more interesting that we never see him eat anything.

The beard thing reminded me of Rick on TWD. The same length beard for months. I guess in the middle of the zombie apocalypse, there's always time to trim your beard.