Community
Search
TV Talk Talk about Shows on TV

The Carmichael Show (NBC) -- Series Thread

Search this Thread

Old 08-26-15, 10:36 AM

Received 4,558 Likes on 3,093 Posts
The Carmichael Show (NBC) -- Series Thread

From the comedy of Jerrod Carmichael and Nick Stoller ("Neighbors") comes an irreverent sitcom inspired by Jerrod's relationships with his say-anything contrarian father, therapist-in training girlfriend, ever-hustling brother and mother, who is always, always, always right with Jesus. Taking the next step and moving in together, Jerrod and his girlfriend, Maxine (Amber West), are your average young couple trying to make it in the city. They're smart, motivated and looking to build a fulfilling life together. The only thing standing in their way is family. Between Jerrod's larger-than-life brother, Bobby (Lil Rel Howery), and his smothering and passionate parents (David Alan Grier, Loretta Devine), Jerrod and Maxine will be put to the test navigating the boundaries of romance, family and sanity. Jerrod Carmichael, Nick Stoller, Danielle Sanchez-Witzel and Ravi Nandan serve as executive producers. "The Carmichael Show" is co-produced by 20th Century Fox Television and Universal Television.

PRINCIPAL CAST INFORMATION:
· Amber Stevens West as Maxine
· David Alan Grier as Joe Carmichael
· Jerrod Carmichael as Jerrod Carmichael
· Lil Rel as Bobby Carmichael
· Loretta Devine as Cynthia Carmichael

CREW INFORMATION:
· Danielle Sanchez-Witzel as EP
· Jerrod Carmichael as CRTR/EP
· Nick Stoller as CRTR/EP
· Ravi Nandan as EP
· Scott Ellis as DIR (Pilot)

<iframe width="560" height="315" src="https://www.youtube.com/embed/oaDAQVtA484" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen></iframe>
Premieres 8/26/15. Will air back to back episodes for 3 weeks.

6 episode first season.
Old 08-28-15, 07:43 AM
DRG
DVD Talk Legend

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Re: The Carmichael Show (NBC) - Series Thread

Is this an actual new 'fall show' or just something they're burning off really late in the summer for some reason?
Old 08-28-15, 07:45 AM

Burning off.
Old 08-28-15, 08:18 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

This wasn't as bad as Mr. Robinson. I like that girl from Greek.
Old 08-28-15, 09:47 AM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Received 15 Likes on 12 Posts

I saw the leaked pilot and the 2nd and it is better than I thought considering I never heard of the lead before. He is definitely the weak link. Makes Jerry Seinfield look like Bryan Cranston. I actually thought he might be Jimmy Walker's son. Plus as much as I like Amber Stevens, it is a little unbelievable she would be with someone like him. Guess it's the Kevin James sitcom syndrome.
Old 08-28-15, 10:22 AM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I saw his HBO special awhile back and thought it was pretty good, so I tuned in to check the first two episodes out. It was decent, so I'll stick around for the next couple weeks.
Old 08-29-15, 08:33 PM
DVD Talk Ultimate Edition

Received 129 Likes on 109 Posts

Originally Posted by Unclejosh
I saw the leaked pilot and the 2nd and it is better than I thought considering I never heard of the lead before. He is definitely the weak link. Makes Jerry Seinfield look like Bryan Cranston. I actually thought he might be Jimmy Walker's son. Plus as much as I like Amber Stevens, it is a little unbelievable she would be with someone like him. Guess it's the Kevin James sitcom syndrome.
Jerrod just doesn't have a lot of presence. Even in his HBO special, which I thought was hilarious and a classic, he doesn't deliver the jokes that well. But his writing is off the charts bad ass.
Old 09-14-15, 02:46 PM

This was renewed.
http://deadline.com/2015/09/mr-robin...bc-1201526344/

I wanted to check it out, but didn't figuring it wouldn't last. I now have some incentive to watch the 6 episodes.
Old 09-14-15, 03:58 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Originally Posted by dex14
This was renewed.
http://deadline.com/2015/09/mr-robin...bc-1201526344/

I wanted to check it out, but didn't figuring it wouldn't last. I now have some incentive to watch the 6 episodes.
Wow, really surprised to hear. Thought it was DOA.

I am not a sitcom person, but I thought this show wasn't bad. Some of the political issues and topics they addressed I thought were pretty interesting - not what you'd see in a typical sitcom.
Old 09-16-15, 11:18 AM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 129 Likes on 103 Posts

Color me real surprised that this was renewed as well. I too found the lead lacking. The bright spot, for me, are his parents. I thought Loretta Devine and David Alan Grier were great and provided the lions share of the laughs. His brother was pretty useless to the show. I thought they relied a bit too much on some stereotypes about black culture. But I also find that the majority of black stand up comics tend to do that as well. It almost seemed that the show was put together simply to put a show about a black family on the air.
Old 09-16-15, 11:26 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Originally Posted by jjcool
It almost seemed that the show was put together simply to put a show about a black family on the air.
I'm wondering if the renewal was intended to try and cash in on the success of shows like Empire and black-ish. NBC doesn't have any shows with diverse casts compared to Fox and ABC.

If they already had this one in the can it might make more sense to renew it and get it back quickly on the air than to quickly try and create a new show that fits this market.
Old 09-17-15, 10:13 AM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 129 Likes on 103 Posts

Originally Posted by Jadzia
I'm wondering if the renewal was intended to try and cash in on the success of shows like Empire and black-ish. NBC doesn't have any shows with diverse casts compared to Fox and ABC.

If they already had this one in the can it might make more sense to renew it and get it back quickly on the air than to quickly try and create a new show that fits this market.
That does make sense. It is just unfortunate that this show isn't better. It gives it a feel of desperation of trying to get some black faces on the air. Even worse is the high level of stereotypical jokes and plots. I don't get that vibe from either blackish or Empire.
Old 03-09-16, 07:04 AM

Looks like Season 2 begins tonight 3/9/15.

03/09/2016 (10:00PM - 10:30PM) (Wednesday) : CYNTHIA WITNESSES HER FRIEND'S HUSBAND WITH ANOTHER WOMAN-when Cynthia (Loretta Devine) sees her Reverend with someone who is not his wife, the family comes together to discuss cheating and consequences. Jerrod (Jerrod Carmichael) is shocked when this family discussion reveals that Maxine (Amber Stevens West) is no stranger to infidelity... David Alan Grier, Lil Rel Howery and Tiffany Haddish also star. TV-PG D, L

Read more: Listings - CARMICHAEL SHOW, THE on NBC | TheFutonCritic.com http://thefutoncritic.com/listings/2...#ixzz42PWCKwuZ
Old 03-10-16, 04:46 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 718 Likes on 587 Posts
Re: The Carmichael Show (NBC) -- Series Thread

Strange the dvr says it premieres on Sunday March 13 but a new episode aired on Wed but that was not advertised as the season premiere.
Old 05-31-17, 07:20 AM

Season 3 starts tonight, 5/31/17.

The season will be 13 episodes.
Old 05-31-17, 07:26 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 905 Likes on 667 Posts

Wait; this didn't get cancelled???
Old 06-21-17, 01:41 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 22 Likes on 16 Posts

I read that last weeks episode had to be replaced at the last minute due to it involving a mass shooting and coming on the heels of the baseball field shooting.

Loving this season so far, wish it was a more popular show.
Old 06-30-17, 04:00 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 723 Likes on 528 Posts

The Carmichael Show’ Ending at NBC as Star Jerrod Carmichael Exits Comedy

By Joe Otterson,
Elizabeth Wagmeister
JUNE 30, 2017 | 01:25PM PT

“The Carmichael Show” is ending after three seasons, as its star and creator Jerrod Carmichael has opted to exit to series, Variety has learned.

“For three seasons (okay 2.5), I got to make a show that I love with my friends,” Carmichael said in a statement released to Variety. “It’s something I’ve wanted to do since I was 13. Now, I’m excited to go make other things that I love. Thank you to every person who worked on or watched the Carmichael show.”

“We are enormously proud of The Carmichael Show and Jerrod’s talent and vision to do a classic family sitcom that also taps into issues and relevant stories from the real world. We thank and salute the cast, crew, and producers — and especially Jerrod — for three critically-acclaimed seasons,” said NBC chairman Bob Greenblatt and NBC entertainment president, Jennifer Salke.

20th Century Fox Television presidents, Jonnie Davis and Howard Kurtzman, said: “’The Carmichael Show’ was such a wonderful show that we choose to focus today not on its loss but on the three incredible seasons we had the pleasure to produce. We are thankful to the brilliant Jerrod Carmichael and his talented cast, and to showrunner Danielle Sanchez-Witzel, our fantastic writers and devoted production team. It’s a rarity that a comedy series tackles the social and political issues of the day in such a clever and hilariously funny way. This show was special, and we will miss it.”

“The Carmichael Show” was co-created by Carmichael, Ari Katcher, Willie Hunter and Nicholas Stoller. Carmichael starred alongside Amber Stevens West, Lil Rel Howery, Tiffany Haddish, Loretta Devine and David Alan Grier.

The family sitcom debuted in summer 2015 and is currently in the midst of its third season. The six-episode first season averaged a 1.0 rating in adults 18-49 and 4.3 million viewers, according to Nielsen Live+Same Day data. Season 2, which was 13 episodes, averaged a 0.9 and 4.2 million. Season 3 is currently averaging a 0.8 and 3.7 million.

“The Carmichael Show” has been critically-praised for its inclusion of topics such as racism, rape, Black Lives Matter and Bill Cosby’s scandal,which enabled the show to stand out from other typical broadcast comedies. The show also aired an unedited episode with the N-word this season. Variety TV critic Maureen Ryan wrote, “‘The Carmichael Show’ is an NBC comedy you should be watching.”

Carmichael had been critical in the past of NBC for censoring the series. Recently, he said that he did not agree with the network’s decision to pull an episode that involved as mass shooting. “Really to me, what it says is that you don’t think that America is smart enough to handle real dialogue and something that reflects real family conversations and something that feels honest and true and still respects the victims,” Carmichael said.

Previously, ahead of its second season, NBC’s Salke spoke to Variety about Carmichael’s desire to depict real-life issues on the broadcast sitcom.“When we decided to move forward with Jerrod’s show, we bought into the idea that this is a show that tackles really uncomfortable conversations that should be happening in living rooms all over the country,” Salke said. “In a time when networks have to distinguish themselves and be authentic about relevant things and smart conversations, you can’t be afraid of talking about things like that, as long as they’re handled correctly.”

“The Carmichael Show” will wrap its third season later this summer.
Old 06-30-17, 09:50 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I thought this show was great - funny and thoughtful even if it was harsh and hard to watch at points. I will definitely miss it. However, this "Jerrod quits" is really coming off like a person who KNEW they were about to get dumped trying to save face.