Go Back  DVD Talk Forum > Entertainment Discussions > Movie Talk
Reload this Page >

Straight Outta Compton (Gray, 2015) — The Reviews Thread

Community
Search
Movie Talk A Discussion area for everything movie related including films In The Theaters
View Poll Results: Straight Outta Compton (Gray, 2015) — The Reviews Thread
0%
41.67%
33.33%
8.33%
0%
0%
0%
0%
0%
0%
0%
Straight Outta the Theater.
16.67%
Voters: 12. You may not vote on this poll

Search this Thread

Old 08-12-15, 02:00 PM
Inane Thread Master, 2018 TOTY

Received 913 Likes on 773 Posts

Please continue pre-release discussion here.

Movie:
"Straight Outta Compton" (Starring: O’Shea Jackson Jr., Corey Hawkins, Jason Mitchell, Neil Brown Jr., Paul Giamatti)

Release Date:
8/14/15

Rating:
R (for sci-language throughout, strong sexuality/nudity, violence, and drug use throughout.)

Running Time:
147m. (2h. 27m.)

Budget:
$30 million (estimated)

IMDb Synopsis:
Spoiler:
In 1987, five young men, using brutally honest rhymes and hardcore beats, put their frustration and anger about life in the most dangerous place in America into the most powerful weapon they had: their music. Taking us back to where it all began, Straight Outta Compton tells the true story of how these cultural rebels-armed only with their lyrics, swagger, bravado and raw talent-stood up to the authorities that meant to keep them down and formed the world's most dangerous group, N.W.A. And as they spoke the truth that no one had before and exposed life in the hood, their voice ignited a social revolution that is still reverberating today.

IMDb Info and Rating:
0.0 (0 votes as of 8/12/15

Rotten Tomatoes:
Fresh:18 Rotten:03 (86% as of 8/12/15)

Metacritic:
72 metascore ('Generally favorable reviews' as of 8/12/15)

Trailer:
<iframe width="560" height="315" src="//v.traileraddict.com/100709" allowfullscreen="true" webkitallowfullscreen="true" mozallowfullscreen="true" scrolling="no"></iframe>

Poster Art:
Old 08-12-15, 02:07 PM
DVD Talk God

Received 3,640 Likes on 2,613 Posts
Re: Straight Outta Compton (Gray, 2015) — The Reviews Thread

Will try to see this on Sunday. Have to work Friday and late Saturday night.

Hopefully it's a good biopic. The last music themed biopic I saw was Get on Up, which I really liked.
Old 08-12-15, 02:46 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Received 113 Likes on 75 Posts

Im going to watch it tomorrow night.
Old 08-13-15, 09:57 PM
DVD Talk Ultimate Edition

Received 129 Likes on 109 Posts

anybody go to the 8 or 10 pm showings tonight?

How big were the crowds, and how was the movie?
Old 08-13-15, 11:54 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

The budget's only $30M? Oh, this is going to make major bank for Universal.
Old 08-14-15, 12:29 AM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 1,022 Likes on 812 Posts

Pretty solid interview with Gray. It's kind of cool seeing a director talk about the embarrassing directions they gave in earlier movies and being put in their place by established actors. Also, a little insight into Universal's massive success this year. And his explanation (not defense) of A Man Apart and Be Cool.

http://deadline.com/2015/08/f-gary-g...-a-1201498938/

Last edited by RichC2; 08-14-15 at 12:34 AM.
Old 08-14-15, 07:47 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 277 Likes on 212 Posts

Originally Posted by Defiant1
The budget's only $30M? Oh, this is going to make major bank for Universal.
As usual, the white man gets all the money.
Old 08-14-15, 07:09 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 115 Likes on 102 Posts

Random thoughts/reactions:

Acting is very good all around. Every review I've seen/read kept complaining about the final act, but I thought a lot of the strongest acting occurs there (Eazy & Jerry's final meeting, hospital scenes)

Cube Jr actually has some great screen presence (More so when he had the curl) and---Holy shit---The dude that played Suge. Not only was I not expecting to see Suge DOMINATE so much of this movie, but the likeness and performance was frickin' eerie!
Hawkins as Dre eventually grew on me. He finally got to shine during the Death Row scenes.
Ren was barely noticable in this. On the other hand, Yella seemed to get way more lines and screen time. Who woulda thought?

Glad to see glimpses of the WCWC days! And even though it's mentioned in the other N.W.A thread, I'm glad D.O.C. (And his accident) was included. That easily could've been thrown in the deleted-scenes pile, but a pivotal line from Suge caused it to stay there. Plus I didn't expect to see Cube's brief Nation-of-Islam phase included in this. Kudos for that being thrown in.
And I never thought I would've heard the word "Bompton" being mentioned in a big screen, mainstream release!

One missed opportunity was (After Yella places the "Bone" tape on Eazy's deathbed) the inclusion of "Tha Crossroads" playing over the following sequences. But it didn't happen. Damn. I would've loved that.

The most eye-rolling and cringeworthy scene to me was Dre finding out about a certain death of a loved one during the middle of the movie. Not only does the worst acting of the film occur there, but it even becomes laughable thanks to the bad reaction shots and mopey music score. That was straight up Crappy-made-for-TV-music-biopic shit right there.

Lastly, if you're a big P-Funk fan, don't miss this in theaters. Some classic jams get bumped here.
Old 08-14-15, 11:44 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 40 Likes on 24 Posts

Saw the 6pm showing tonight and I loved it. While it was a bit long, I think it needed to be. It really made sure to include as much as possible.
If you didnt know who NWA were or it's members, you learned watching this.
I would have liked to seen a little It's On (Dr. Dre) 187um Killa chapter since they did put focus on Cube and Eazy's feuds.

Overall this is a BD buy for sure and I hope it includes a sit ton of extras.
I could watch a 3hr+ cut of this if it included some more background.
Old 08-15-15, 12:38 AM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 483 Likes on 319 Posts

Originally Posted by RichC2
Pretty solid interview with Gray. It's kind of cool seeing a director talk about the embarrassing directions they gave in earlier movies and being put in their place by established actors. Also, a little insight into Universal's massive success this year. And his explanation (not defense) of A Man Apart and Be Cool.

http://deadline.com/2015/08/f-gary-g...-a-1201498938/
Wow, thanks for sharing. That's one of the best director interviews I've ever read.
Old 08-15-15, 04:23 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Thread almost disappeared into page 2 already. Merciful bump.
Old 08-15-15, 05:15 PM

Received 4,584 Likes on 3,103 Posts

I enjoyed it. It didn't feel like 2.5 hours. I thought everyone in it was great.
Old 08-15-15, 05:38 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

I wonder if the BD will have a the 3 1/2 cut and how much stuff is in that cut that warrants such a version.
Old 08-15-15, 05:39 PM
Banned

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Well we won't know till we know, man.
Old 08-15-15, 05:43 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Makes sense.
Old 08-15-15, 07:24 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 309 Likes on 231 Posts

Yeah, not knowing until you do know makes sense for about every bit of knowledge in life.
Old 08-15-15, 10:43 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Well you cant know until you know but the only way to find out is wait and see ...

I forgot to mention the best part of the movie.
The first time 'Eazy' sings 'Boyz-n-the-Hood'

<iframe width="640" height="360" src="https://www.youtube.com/embed/n4WV60687ek?rel=0" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen></iframe>
Old 08-15-15, 11:30 PM
DVD Talk Legend

^Who were the NY rappers that were originally supposed to do that song? That was news to me!
Old 08-15-15, 11:38 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

H. B. O.
Old 08-16-15, 12:05 AM
DVD Talk Reviewer

Received 38 Likes on 30 Posts

Accidentally posted this in the other thread, will repost here as it's more appropriate-

I really feel like I might write up a full review on this one, but here's what I posted on Facebook:

So, "Straight Outta Compton." Anyone who really knows me well, knows I've been an Ice Cube fan since I was nine years old; "Death Certificate" is one of my all time favorite albums and I probably listen to it monthly. I was extremely nervous at how badly an NWA biopic could go, especially with F. Gary Gray at the helm. The good news is that it exceeded all my expectations and is a very entertaining, and generally engaging epic. The film sadly though, suffers from revisionist history with the close involvement of Dr. Dre. For the most part the personal foibles of all the major players are covered in at least passing, if not in great detail (the film does nothing to change my perception of Eazy-E as a slimy snake). The major exception is Dr. Dre's notable violent assault on Dee Barnes in the early 90s; Dre was not the somewhat saintly character the film tries to portray him as. Dre himself in the past few days has admitted his violent past, but still, anyone walking away from this film might have some big misconceptions about the man (on my way out from the theater, a dad was telling his son Eazy-E may have been a great performer, but was no one to idolize; the same in some ways should be said of Dre). At the end of the day, the film does lose a lot of steam in its final forty minutes as it splits into three nearly separate stories; I honestly feel it's a film that will benefit from a more roomy director's cut. Most importantly to me though, the film really shows a whole new generation and the uninitiated the cultural impact of not just NWA but Ice Cube, who is now almost a household name in family comedy. If you even have a passing interest in rap or music history, don't miss your chance of seeing this on the big screen, it's one of 2015's better offerings.
Old 08-16-15, 12:07 AM
DVD Talk Reviewer

Originally Posted by Mondo Kane
Random thoughts/reactions:

Acting is very good all around. Every review I've seen/read kept complaining about the final act, but I thought a lot of the strongest acting occurs there (Eazy & Jerry's final meeting, hospital scenes)

Cube Jr actually has some great screen presence (More so when he had the curl) and---Holy shit---The dude that played Suge. Not only was I not expecting to see Suge DOMINATE so much of this movie, but the likeness and performance was frickin' eerie!
Hawkins as Dre eventually grew on me. He finally got to shine during the Death Row scenes.
Ren was barely noticable in this. On the other hand, Yella seemed to get way more lines and screen time. Who woulda thought?

Glad to see glimpses of the WCWC days! And even though it's mentioned in the other N.W.A thread, I'm glad D.O.C. (And his accident) was included. That easily could've been thrown in the deleted-scenes pile, but a pivotal line from Suge caused it to stay there. Plus I didn't expect to see Cube's brief Nation-of-Islam phase included in this. Kudos for that being thrown in.
And I never thought I would've heard the word "Bompton" being mentioned in a big screen, mainstream release!

One missed opportunity was (After Yella places the "Bone" tape on Eazy's deathbed) the inclusion of "Tha Crossroads" playing over the following sequences. But it didn't happen. Damn. I would've loved that.

The most eye-rolling and cringeworthy scene to me was Dre finding out about a certain death of a loved one during the middle of the movie. Not only does the worst acting of the film occur there, but it even becomes laughable thanks to the bad reaction shots and mopey music score. That was straight up Crappy-made-for-TV-music-biopic shit right there.

Lastly, if you're a big P-Funk fan, don't miss this in theaters. Some classic jams get bumped here.
The WCWC stuff was a little confusing; they mostly played it off like they were local DJs, when in reality they actually recorded two full albums.
Old 08-16-15, 12:31 AM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

I dont think that was intentional. I just think they only had so much to tell and move on to the next chapter in their lives of creating NWA. I mentioned it already, they left out the album dis between Dre and Eazy (It's On (Dr. Dre) 187um Killa), while including Cube's album feud.
Old 08-16-15, 12:42 AM
DVD Talk Reviewer

Originally Posted by VHS?
I dont think that was intentional. I just think they only had so much to tell and move on to the next chapter in their lives of creating NWA. I mentioned it already, they left out the album dis between Dre and Eazy (It's On (Dr. Dre) 187um Killa), while including Cube's album feud.
I'm curious if any of the Eazy/Dre feud was even filmed; as I mentioned in my initial thoughts post, I feel the film paints Dre in an unjustifiably positive, unflawed light.
Old 08-16-15, 12:49 AM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

I'd like to know that as well and if it was, I hope it makes it to BD. I'll watch a 3.5hr version if they have more of what I know, as a fan who followed all the shit from start to finish.
It does look like they made Dre to be flawless and I hope there is a cut that shows otherwise. if you're gonna make everyone else show their shit, you better do it to.
Old 08-16-15, 02:42 AM
DVD Talk Legend

H. B. O.
Thanks. I heard it name-dropped, but didn't even know that was a name of a group.

I mentioned it already, they left out the album dis between Dre and Eazy (It's On (Dr. Dre) 187um Killa), while including Cube's album feud.
I'm thinking multiple feuds just would've been too redundant for an under-3-hour, wide-release version. The theatrical cut seemed to give the impression that "No Vaseline" was all one needed to know about the inner feud between members....And they certainly gave plenty of space devoted to that track, didn't they?

Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.