Search
TV Talk Talk about Shows on TV

Ray Donovan (S3E04) -- "Breakfast of Champions" -- 8/2/15

Search this Thread

Old 08-02-15, 03:22 PM
DVD Talk God

Received 3,637 Likes on 2,610 Posts
Ray Donovan (S3E04) -- "Breakfast of Champions" -- 8/2/15

Terry tries to adjust to life outside of prison; Paige attempts to sell the studio to Chinese buyers; Abby goes to Boston and reconnects with her Southie family; Conor cuts school to throw a party; Bridget gets angry with her math teacher.

Episode 4 of 12
Old 08-03-15, 04:28 AM
DVD Talk God

Received 3,637 Likes on 2,610 Posts
Re: Ray Donovan (S3E04) -- "Breakfast of Champions" -- 8/2/15

Good episode. At least Ray wasn't his mopey self now that Terry is out.

at stupid Conor thinking he was going to get lucky with the older girl. Liked when he went psycho on the boyfriend.

At least we have an explanation for Katie Holmes braces now. They're part of her character.

Wow, a Jack Wagner and Cheryl Ladd appearance as a pseudo Pat Sajak and Vanna White. at Ray slapping Wagner.

Loved the ending with Dog making his return.

Abby still sucks, but at least we got some backstory on her.

Last edited by DJariya; 08-03-15 at 09:34 PM.
Old 08-03-15, 09:04 AM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 13 Likes on 11 Posts

I thought the show would start sucking without Biderman producing or writing it but it's been pretty good so far.
Old 08-03-15, 09:12 AM

Received 99 Likes on 82 Posts

I literally caught up on all of S2 and S3 thus far over the past several days. Hopefully Ray gets out of his rut soon. Agree the stuff with the gameshow was quite good (being the Wheel junkie that I am). Mickey claiming partial credit for helping get Terry free...such a low-life.
Old 08-03-15, 09:28 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 848 Likes on 592 Posts

I've been wondering for a while if we ever saw Ray eat something (or that he's just eaten). He never seems to make it home for dinner - and I don't think we've seen him eat at a restaurant or anything. Then in this episode he takes a single bite out of a pop-tart and at the end we're teased with the Frosted Flakes he's about to eat - and it ends before we find out if he eats it. Eat something, Ray!

Conor's an idiot.

I didn't even realize that was Ladd and Wagner. Last time I saw Ladd was in Permanent Midnight over 15 years ago - she was very recognizable then, but not now. Wagner I haven't seen since he was considered a heartthrob in whatever soap he was in probably 25+ years ago.

It feels like the writers has no idea what to do with Abby, so they're giving us some of her back story and family introductions.
Old 08-03-15, 10:42 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Received 41 Likes on 29 Posts

Ray slapping Jack Wagner was awesome.
Old 08-04-15, 02:53 AM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 163 Likes on 132 Posts

Originally Posted by Geofferson
Mickey claiming partial credit for helping get Terry free...such a low-life.
Yeah, he's a sleaze ball but that's why I find him pretty funny.

I almost wish Connor went apeshit and starting beating up that guy while he was still in the bedroom. Personally, I don't know why the fuck he even let those guys into the house.

I loved that Ray got to slap Jack Wagner twice.
Old 08-04-15, 10:24 AM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by sleepyhead55
Yeah, he's a sleaze ball but that's why I find him pretty funny.
For me, he's been carrying the show. That isn't to say nothing else interesting is happening, but he's the only thing that is truly (and I'm sure there's a better word) "fun" to watch. I do wonder sometimes if Angelina Jolie ever looks at his work and thinks, "There's a reason he plays that character well." Real life intruding on art.

I almost wish Connor went apeshit and starting beating up that guy while he was still in the bedroom. Personally, I don't know why the fuck he even let those guys into the house.
I think that scene played out realistically. He was a freshman and those guys are probably Juniors and/or Seniors. He let them in the house because he wanted to be liked and because the situation kind of unfolded instead of happening all at one time. Up until the moment the door opened (each time), he thought it would just be the girls. Some of us don't have any problem alienating people who are trying to take advantage of us, but I don't find it out of the realm of reality that a freshman in high school would be apprehensive about offending (potentially popular) upper classmen.
Old 08-04-15, 04:28 PM
DVD Talk God

Received 616 Likes on 495 Posts

Originally Posted by Coral
Conor's an idiot.

I didn't even realize that was Ladd and Wagner. Last time I saw Ladd was in Permanent Midnight over 15 years ago - she was very recognizable then, but not now. Wagner I haven't seen since he was considered a heartthrob in whatever soap he was in probably 25+ years ago.
I recognized her immediately. She was a semi-regular in Las Vegas. I think she's aged very well.

Jack Wagner took me a few seconds to figure out. Looks like he's had some face work done. I don't think I've seen him since Melrose Place.

Originally Posted by Rex Fenestrarum
Ray slapping Jack Wagner was awesome.
So awesome.
Old 08-05-15, 10:49 AM
DVD Talk Ultimate Edition

Received 16 Likes on 14 Posts

Good ep with all things non Abby, I fast forward most of those scenes....
Old 08-05-15, 03:32 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Received 41 Likes on 29 Posts

Originally Posted by MikahC
I do wonder sometimes if Angelina Jolie ever looks at his work and thinks, "There's a reason he plays that character well." Real life intruding on art.
I know, right? I can think of a dozen actors who would play Mickey and not be so creepy and sleazy... but Voight just puts off this vibe like he's actually (somewhat) like that in real life. Maybe he's just that good an actor, but it makes my skin crawl nevertheless.
Old 08-05-15, 05:00 PM
Banned

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Interesting stuff with Terry, Bunchie, & Mickey & his new posse. Ray's new gig...jury's still out.

Abby is so hard to take between her mood swings, f-bombs every other word (sometimes literally every sentence that comes out of her mouth), but most of all that horrible accent.

When she got togethuh with huh friends at the bah, I just had to mute the dialogue...more than I could ba-yuh.