Reload this Page >

Amazon CANADA - Star Trek Original Series 1-3 - $54US shipped

Blu-ray Bargains Post and Discuss Blu-ray Related Bargains

Old 07-28-15, 02:02 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 582 Likes on 432 Posts

I know this is an older set, so anyone that wants it probably already owns it (or has found it on ebay or wherever). Lowest U.S. Amazon price was $60 + free shipping one time last year, so while this is hardly earth-shattering, it can still save a few bucks:

http://www.amazon.ca/dp/B002QEHPRE/
(click "Used and New" for Amazon's price)

P.S. $54US is based on pretend-ordering the set to my U.S. address, plus current exchange rate.

Last edited by Brian T; 07-28-15 at 02:34 PM.
Old 07-28-15, 04:41 PM
DVD Talk Platinum Edition

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
Re: Amazon CANADA - Star Trek Original Series 1-3 - $54US shipped

Usually ships in 1 to 2 months
Old 07-28-15, 05:32 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

And?

The set hasn't been this cheap on the U.S. site since last summer. And Amazon Canada's "estimates" are almost always longer than reality. I've had countless notices of "ships in 2-4 weeks" or "1-2 months" on out-of-stock items I've ordered, only to have them ship with a few days or a couple of weeks once they get new stock in and accounted for. Showing the longer delivery wait time probably just makes them look better when they actually deliver it "early".
Old 07-28-15, 05:50 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 626 Likes on 460 Posts

Thanks Brian T. I'm willing to take a chance that exchange rates don't go up much before shipping and if they do I have it set up so I can cancel if it's more than I'm willing to spend. Even with a ding from my CC company for a "foreign exchange" it's still less expensive than I expect it to be outside of a possible BF sale. I just wish they offered a less expensive shipping option to the US. At the current exchange rate it's $54.13 and I expect a couple of $$ for the conversion with my CC (and I don't understand why this is still done as it's all electronic and costs the "bank" nothing).
Old 07-28-15, 08:34 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Glad someone gave it a shot. Shame about the Forex charges, but ultimately, it's still a wee bit cheaper than buying stateside, at least from Amazon, particularly if you're in a state where tax is charged.

I probably should point out that the set is part of a Deal of The Week on various sci-fi/fantasy titles. The other one that seems like a really good value, especially for Americans, is the Hobbit 3D Trilogy (theatrical editions) for $43.30 US shipped (after exchange, etc.). No tax either, of course. That's almost half the current price on the U.S. site.
http://www.amazon.ca/dp/B00TQ3NGWG/

Beyond those two, it's pretty slim pickings, but the savings may still be tempting:
http://www.amazon.ca/s/ref=s9_acss_b...pf_rd_i=917972
Old 08-06-15, 05:52 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Thanks again, Brian T! My order shipped and cleared customs early this afternoon. It's coming UPS so I should have it in a couple of days. After the 3% forex charges it'll come to $54.82 USD. Considering this is the set I got a BR player for I'm quite pleased!

Side note: I thought I would be able to use my Discover Card to avoid the forex but Amazon.ca doesn't take it!
Old 08-06-15, 07:29 PM
Inane Thread Master, 2018 TOTY

Received 889 Likes on 752 Posts

Fuck Canada!
Old 08-06-15, 08:37 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Originally Posted by OldBoy
Fuck Canada!
Yeah, fuck 'em!! Who wants to save money on a Blu-ray bargains forum, amiright?

Originally Posted by BobO'Link
Thanks again, Brian T! My order shipped and cleared customs early this afternoon. It's coming UPS so I should have it in a couple of days. After the 3% forex charges it'll come to $54.82 USD. Considering this is the set I got a BR player for I'm quite pleased!

Side note: I thought I would be able to use my Discover Card to avoid the forex but Amazon.ca doesn't take it!
Glad this worked out. And in less than the "1 to 2 months" someone above presumably used to talk themselves out of the deal.

Last edited by Brian T; 08-06-15 at 08:50 PM.
Old 08-07-15, 08:17 AM
DVD Talk Legend

It would have shipped ~4 days earlier but I used a CC payment that kept it from shipping without me changing the card used. I'd done it that way assuming a worst case scenario in availability so that if the exchange rates went up rather than continuing the downward trend and took the price higher than I wanted to spend at the time I could cancel easily. That also allowed me time to explore a way around the forex fee. While that didn't work out it was only 3% (~$1.50 I think and quite reasonable for this set) it's the principal of the thing.

The current lowest "fulfilled by Amazon" price on that set is $138.97 CDN (which is also the direct Amazon CA price).