Search
TV Talk Talk about Shows on TV

Hannibal (S3E07) -- "Digestivo" -- 7/18/15

Search this Thread

Old 07-18-15, 07:40 AM
DVD Talk God

Received 3,634 Likes on 2,607 Posts
Hannibal (S3E07) -- "Digestivo" -- 7/18/15

07/18/2015 (10:00PM - 11:00PM) (Saturday) : MASON VERGER RECEIVES A SPECIAL DELIVERY--JOE ANDERSON AND KATHARINE ISABELLE GUEST STAR--Captured in Italy by police on Mason Verger's payroll, Will Graham (Hugh Dancy and Hannibal Lecter (Mads Mikkelsen) are delivered to Muskrat Farm to await Mason's (guest star Joe Anderson) revenge. Alana (Caroline Dhavernas), distressed that Will has been endangered along with Hannibal, plots a rescue. And Hannibal, once again in contact with his old patient Margot (guest star Katharine Isabelle), finds it irresistible to remind her that Mason will never make good on his promises. Meanwhile, Jack (Laurence Fishburne) informs Chiyoh (Tao Okamoto) of Hannibal's location. TV-14 V

Episode 7 of 13

Still cancelled and now airing on Saturdays for the rest of it's run.
Old 07-18-15, 09:27 AM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Re: Hannibal (S3E07) -- "Digestivo" -- 7/18/15

Great, great episode. I'm going to miss this show so much when it's gone...
Old 07-18-15, 09:49 AM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Received 90 Likes on 77 Posts

Seems CityTV in Canada is still airing the new episodes on Thursdays so they get the new episodes 3 days earlier than the US now.

They really seem to be condensing the plot and trying to put a lot of what they had planned for later seasons all into this one. If they do that, there wouldn't really be any reason for another company to save the show, but it may still have enough left for a movie like they talked about but I honestly don't see that happening now either.
Old 07-18-15, 04:34 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

These episodes were filmed long ago; They're not a response to cancellation news. What we're seeing is what they always intended for us to see this season.
Old 07-18-15, 07:27 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Originally Posted by MikahC
These episodes were filmed long ago; They're not a response to cancellation news. What we're seeing is what they always intended for us to see this season.
Not from what I read. The writers stated we're getting a bit of content they had planned for the next season.
Old 07-18-15, 07:39 PM

I imagine this got discussed at an earlier point, but I went to Wikipedia to look up when this season was filmed due to the comments in this thread. There, I read this:

When asked to elaborate, Fuller commented that Netflix could not renew the series due to Amazon having the exclusive streaming rights, and that Amazon wanted to renew the series, but wanted an immediate debut, while Fuller wanted more time to work on the scripts in advance before shooting. Fuller also stated that he and the producers are exploring the possibility of a feature film.

Are you f***ing kidding me? This gets canceled -getting abysmal ratings, to boot- and Fuller *turns down!!!!!* a deal because he wanted, quote, more time to polish off the scripts? I don't even know what to say/think, other than stuff like that will make Fuller a pariah for studios to greenlight future shows. He may have a cult following, but a terrible track record in successes, and the... well, the arrogance of turning down a deal any rational producer/creator should have been on their knees praying for...?

Surely, Amazon won't have much/any interest in whatever he does next.
Old 07-18-15, 07:48 PM
DVD Talk God

Received 3,634 Likes on 2,607 Posts

Originally Posted by Koby
Not from what I read. The writers stated we're getting a bit of content they had planned for the next season.
The season wrapped production around mid-April. The show was always living on borrowed time since season 1. But the writers weren't prognosticating even worse ratings when mapping out the season just to "wrap things up"
Old 07-18-15, 10:39 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 120 Likes on 80 Posts

Amazing episode! Sorry I can't elaborate more...I'm still thinking about it.
Old 07-19-15, 01:21 AM
DVD Talk Ultimate Edition

That was deranged & beautiful & I just don't know what to say. I just loved that episode it was perfect.
Old 07-19-15, 01:29 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 1,026 Likes on 725 Posts

Damn, that was good! Next week looks awesome, as well!

I really thought Will was having his face cut off, and wondered where they were going to go from there.
Old 07-19-15, 05:45 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 14 Likes on 10 Posts

Holy hell that was awesome
Old 07-19-15, 07:37 PM
DVD Talk Platinum Edition

Received 76 Likes on 59 Posts

Originally Posted by andicus
\

I really thought Will was having his face cut off, and wondered where they were going to go from there.
I was really glad his face was kept intact. Dude's body had been through quite a bit already; he needed a break.
Old 07-20-15, 12:12 AM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 192 Likes on 154 Posts

Thought it was easily the best episode of the year. I just don't think there was enough story to stretch out the first six episodes. Maybe if they had condensed those into two or three episodes then i wouldn't have been as frustrated, but i think the show went too far down it's trippy rabbit hole just to fill thirteen episodes.

Hopefully that is the end of Chiyoh. I know she's in the prequel book, but her character just never really made much sense in this timeline, and, at least to me, most of her scenes were a painful slog.
Old 07-20-15, 12:47 AM
DVD Talk Godfather

Location: City of the lakers.. riots.. and drug dealing cops.. los(t) Angel(e)s. ca.
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Will is basically us on this ride of awesome highs and then getting beaten to shit by NBC.
Old 07-20-15, 12:49 AM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Originally Posted by mwbmis
Thought it was easily the best episode of the year. I just don't think there was enough story to stretch out the first six episodes. Maybe if they had condensed those into two or three episodes then i wouldn't have been as frustrated, but i think the show went too far down it's trippy rabbit hole just to fill thirteen episodes.

Hopefully that is the end of Chiyoh. I know she's in the prequel book, but her character just never really made much sense in this timeline, and, at least to me, most of her scenes were a painful slog.
I agree about the first 6 being stretched too far and thin.
Old 07-20-15, 04:38 AM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 163 Likes on 132 Posts

Great episode. They basically finished the Hannibal novel of this season's storyline. I enjoyed the character moments of this episode. When Will basically dumped Hannibal near the end of the episode, Hannibal looked really sad. I also had a good laugh at Hannibal giving advice when he was imprisoned in that makeshift sell in the barn.

That Mason Verger death scene--I don't recall it being that graphic in the novel.

I can't wait for the Red Dragon portion of the season.
Old 07-20-15, 11:50 AM
Inane Thread Master, 2018 TOTY

Received 904 Likes on 765 Posts

was Hannibal just tired of running? why did he give up?
Old 07-20-15, 12:15 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Originally Posted by OldBoy
So Will would always know where to find him.
Old 07-20-15, 12:56 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 14 Likes on 10 Posts

Originally Posted by mwbmis
Disagree. There's something about a smokin' hot Asian chick with a sniper rifle that just does it for me.
Old 07-20-15, 01:31 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Location: Formerly known as Groucho AND Bandoman/Death Moans, Iowa
Received 372 Likes on 266 Posts

I am kind of confused about the Chiyoh character. It seemed like she was essentially a nanny to Lecter, but she's about 20 years younger?
Old 07-20-15, 02:35 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 192 Likes on 154 Posts

That's why I never thought the character made much sense. She is an older character in the book. Given Mikkelsen's age, they probably miscast the part.
Old 07-20-15, 07:55 PM
DVD Talk Godfather

Location: City of the lakers.. riots.. and drug dealing cops.. los(t) Angel(e)s. ca.
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by OldBoy
Because Will broke up with him and it was equal to your ex girlfriend moving next door to you just to spite you.
Old 07-21-15, 09:17 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 650 Likes on 450 Posts

Originally Posted by Koby
The original plan was for the "Hannibal in Europe" story arc to take place over all of Season 3, while the Red Dragon arc would've been the entire Season 4. However, during writing, they decided to relegate them both to a half season each.

This was ostensibly done because the writers felt neither arc could sustain a full season, but I do suspect that the show runners saw the ratings for season 2 and figured a season 4 renewal was unlikely, so the desire to get through Red Dragon before cancellation may have been a factor.

Originally Posted by Coladar1
I imagine this got discussed at an earlier point, but I went to Wikipedia to look up when this season was filmed due to the comments in this thread. There, I read this:

When asked to elaborate, Fuller commented that Netflix could not renew the series due to Amazon having the exclusive streaming rights, and that Amazon wanted to renew the series, but wanted an immediate debut, while Fuller wanted more time to work on the scripts in advance before shooting. Fuller also stated that he and the producers are exploring the possibility of a feature film.

Are you f***ing kidding me? This gets canceled -getting abysmal ratings, to boot- and Fuller *turns down!!!!!* a deal because he wanted, quote, more time to polish off the scripts?
My understanding is that the delay on Hannibal had more to do with Fuller's commitment to American Gods:
http://deadline.com/2015/07/hannibal...ss-1201471391/
The producer has said he remains committed to Hannibal, but a possible fourth season has to wait for him to finish the recently ordered first season of the adaptation of Neil Gaiman’s bestseller. That scheduling issue was a very big factor in Amazon’s passing on more Hannibal, sources tell me. With American Gods starting to ramp up, Fuller wouldn’t be available for more than a year to dig into more Hannibal — a timespan Amazon was not willing to wait out.
I'm a bit surprised by Amazon's impatience, when Netflix brought back Arrested Development after 7 years, and is now working on a 5th season of that show that will likely air 3 years after the previous.

That said, I doubt the deal falling through will "sour" Amazon to Fuller. Deals fall through all the time due to scheduling conflicts, and Fuller has been diplomatic about the whole thing. Hell, I think NBC would be interested in working with Fuller again, since he continues to praise the network despite the cancellation.
Old 07-21-15, 09:22 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 650 Likes on 450 Posts

Originally Posted by majorjoe23
I am kind of confused about the Chiyoh character. It seemed like she was essentially a nanny to Lecter, but she's about 20 years younger?
She wasn't a nanny, she was a servant to his aunt, and was supposed to be the same age as him.

http://hannibal.wikia.com/wiki/Chiyoh
Chiyo is a minor character from the novel, Hannibal Rising. In the book, she is a young girl about Hannibal’s age, who spends her days waiting on Lady Murasaki, and befriends young Hannibal before returning back to Japan.
The age difference is still an issue, although maybe in the TV show the character's ages are supposed to be different than the actor's ages.
Old 07-21-15, 10:42 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Location: Formerly known as Groucho AND Bandoman/Death Moans, Iowa
Received 372 Likes on 266 Posts

Mads might be able to pass for closer to early 40's rather than almost 50 and the age of Asian females can be a bit nebulous, especially in film/TV.

Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.