Reload this Page >

Bootleg Counterfeit DVD Box Sets

DVD Talk Talk about DVDs and Movies on DVD including Covers and Cases

Old 07-17-15, 07:43 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Hello, I'm new to this site....

Has any else had problems with Bootleg DVDs purchased from ebay. I collect TV shows. & 95% of the time when I purchase a DVD box set on e-bay is a fake with single layer DVDs. I'm done buying these from e-bay.

I'm now looking into buying a "Dukes of Hazzard" set and decided to check e-bay pricing since this whole thing with the rebel flag started. I've noticed a Dukes set that never existed before in a elaborated box with the rebel flag right on top. After much back & forth messaging with a seller of one of these new box sets. I obtained the UPC barcode 883929473595 from the set and actual pics. Seller states it's a NORTH AMERICAN release.The barcode is non-existent anywhere online. Any thoughts?

The one thing I find funny is the set actually states on the box itself "dual layer" format Region-1? So are the counterfeiters getting wise?

Check out e-bay item #:321809367633
Old 07-17-15, 06:58 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Location: In a small pocket universe hoping to someday become a Moderator Emeritus at DVDTalk.com!
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Re: Bootleg Counterfeit DVD Box Sets

Welcome to the Forum Slagger!

Many of us at DVDTalk have encountered bootleg DVDs / DVD Boxsets over the course of many years.

There are many helpful archived threads that the SEARCH feature above can lead you to.

Here are a few that may help you:

http://forum.dvdtalk.com/store-forum...at-do-now.html

http://forum.dvdtalk.com/dvd-talk/59...-bootlegs.html

http://forum.dvdtalk.com/dvd-talk-ar...comes-out.html

http://forum.dvdtalk.com/dvd-talk/48...s-illegal.html

http://forum.dvdtalk.com/store-forum...tleg-ebay.html

http://forum.dvdtalk.com/dvd-talk/59...-dvd-sets.html

As DVDTalk forum members, we are not allowed to discuss bootlegs except in very general terms.

I pulled up those threads by using the search terms "bootlegs dvds".

There are still many more threads out there than can provide useful information on not being taken with non-genuine DVDs.

Hope this info helps.

If a legit box set or title cannot be located at DVDPricesearch, then generally it is a boot.

Last edited by speedy1961; 07-17-15 at 07:04 PM.
Old 07-17-15, 07:02 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Location: In a small pocket universe hoping to someday become a Moderator Emeritus at DVDTalk.com!

Slagger, a complete series set does exist but the casing does not match the one shown by that vendor.
Old 07-17-15, 07:34 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 2,723 Likes on 1,879 Posts

To be perfectly honest, if something on eBay seems even a little bit dodgy, it's probably best to avoid it if you're concerned about bootlegs.
Old 07-17-15, 09:03 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

The Man with the Golden Doujinshi's Avatar

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

Originally Posted by speedy1961
Slagger, a complete series set does exist but the casing does not match the one shown by that vendor.
I think the guy made a custom box for the series and movies but the discs are legit. He's just trying to charge more for a special box.

edit: Probably not. Probably 100 percent fake.

Last edited by The Man with the Golden Doujinshi; 07-17-15 at 09:11 PM.
Old 07-18-15, 02:12 AM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 327 Likes on 199 Posts

The tip off for me was that it included the movies too, hardly ever is this the case for series.
Old 07-18-15, 07:57 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 277 Likes on 212 Posts

Originally Posted by slagger
Hello, I'm new to this site....

Has any else had problems with Bootleg DVDs purchased from ebay. I collect TV shows. & 95% of the time when I purchase a DVD box set on e-bay is a fake with single layer DVDs. I'm done buying these from e-bay.

I'm now looking into buying a "Dukes of Hazzard" set and decided to check e-bay pricing since this whole thing with the rebel flag started. I've noticed a Dukes set that never existed before in a elaborated box with the rebel flag right on top. After much back & forth messaging with a seller of one of these new box sets. I obtained the UPC barcode 883929473595 from the set and actual pics. Seller states it's a NORTH AMERICAN release.The barcode is non-existent anywhere online. Any thoughts?

The one thing I find funny is the set actually states on the box itself "dual layer" format Region-1? So are the counterfeiters getting wise?

Check out e-bay item #:321809367633
They're selling box sets of Dukes of Hazzard at my local FYE.

Maybe I should buy what's there and sell them on e-Bay when they eventually ban the show.
Old 07-18-15, 11:27 AM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

The Man with the Golden Doujinshi's Avatar

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

Originally Posted by Ash Ketchum
Maybe I should buy what's there and sell them on e-Bay when they eventually ban the show.
They already did a few weeks ago on TV Land. Amazon went out of stock on many of the seasons that same day.
Old 07-18-15, 10:54 PM

Location: The Nova Catacumba Exhibition Center on Estrella De Tiago, an Asteroid orbiting the Moon.
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by The Man with the Golden Doujinshi
They already did a few weeks ago on TV Land. Amazon went out of stock on many of the seasons that same day.
'

If Time-Warner suspends the sale of The Dukes of Hazzard the only benefactors will be those who will sell bootlegs of this series. Over the past few years I've acquired the entire series of Amos and Andy, the Movie Song of the South, the so-called "Censored 11" Looney Tunes Cartoons and Bugs Bunny Nips the Nips among others from various sources. I don't know what's more criminal. those who make these "forbidden" shows available for those who want to see them or the studios who cave in and refuse to release these shows in a legitimate manner because they fear doing so might upset certain minorities. Two wrongs may not make a right, but where there's a will there's a way. As a manner of fact, making certain shows unavailable because they aren't "Correct" only creates a stronger resolve to see them, if only to see "what's causing all the fuss".
Old 07-20-15, 11:25 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Originally Posted by SterlingBen
The tip off for me was that it included the movies too, hardly ever is this the case for series.
HA! But the two reunion movies aren't... HA!