Micronauts and Rom coming back to comics via IDW

Comic Book Talk The Place to talk about Comics

Old 07-10-15, 09:04 PM
Challenge Guru & Comic Nerd

Received 668 Likes on 448 Posts

I'm anxious to give both a chance.

I'm currently re-reading Marvels first Micronauts series and I doubt that it can ever be topped. Bill Manto and Michael Golden really nailed space opera there, and Golden's followers on the art were no slouches either: Pat Roderick, Jackson Guice, Kelley Jones.

http://www.newsarama.com/25138-rom-a...you-think.html
Old 07-10-15, 09:18 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 2,107 Likes on 1,447 Posts
Re: Micronauts and Rom coming back to comics via IDW

Both Marvel's Micronauts and ROM ended up being much better than anyone could have expected a comic based on a toy would be.

I wonder how this will work, considering that Marvel owns and can still use the concepts and characters that they created for the original comics, while Mego and Parker Brothers (now Hasbro) owned the characters they created. At any rate, if this means that we will eventually see nice quality reprint volumes of the original comics, I'm in!
Old 07-10-15, 10:11 PM
DVD Talk Godfather

Received 987 Likes on 818 Posts

Originally Posted by cultshock
At any rate, if this means that we will eventually see nice quality reprint volumes of the original comics, I'm in!
This
Old 07-11-15, 01:12 AM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 1,884 Likes on 1,455 Posts

How are they going to reprint the marvel series though? rom especially was integrated in the Marvel universe with the Dire Wraiths and guest stars.
Old 07-11-15, 07:10 AM

No way in hell this has anything to do with reprinting Marvel books. It'd be nice, but a pipe dream.
Old 07-11-15, 08:35 AM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

And, to be honest, the quality of prior IDW reprints of Marvel material hasn't been good.

I wish them luck in creating new material. The thing is, though, these concepts have retained interest primarily because of the Marvel comics rather than the toys themselves and they're at a major disadvantage if they are unable to use the characters, concepts and storylines created for the Marvel series.
Old 07-11-15, 08:47 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Location: Formerly known as Groucho AND Bandoman/Death Moans, Iowa
Received 368 Likes on 262 Posts

I'll be curious what they do, since without Marvel's backstory Rom is just a blank slate.
Old 07-15-15, 04:14 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 438 Likes on 307 Posts

Originally Posted by Super X
And, to be honest, the quality of prior IDW reprints of Marvel material hasn't been good.
Oh man, what I'd give for a Mantlo/Golden Micronauts Omnibus!

No reason for IDW and Marvel not to work together on this - that is, unless they don't like cash!
Old 07-15-15, 04:35 PM
DVD Talk Hero

But if Marvel really wanted to (ie: if they thought it would make them money) I'd think they could easily have licensed Micronauts and especially Rom again. Marvel has published a Space Knights book without Rom and is planning a new one, and Image and I think Devil's Due have also printed Micronauts comic books.
Old 07-15-15, 09:06 PM

The legal rights involved in those Marvel Micronauts issues are a huge mess. It would be easier to get the Beatles back together than to reprint those books. It is never going to happen, sadly.

Marvel has wanted to for decades, but it just can't. It will never happen. NEVER.
Old 07-15-15, 09:27 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 438 Likes on 307 Posts

Boo!

My floopies have yellowed so badly - they look like shit.
Old 07-15-15, 09:38 PM

Seek out the five issue Micronauts Special Edition series that reprinted issues 1-12 and some extras on better paper. They should be in dollar bins, and are a much better way to re-read those classics over those old newsprint issues.
Old 07-20-15, 07:49 PM
DVD Talk Hero

I guess it makes sense given their very close partnership with IDW on Transformers (and to some extent, Joe), but Hasbro is going to be relaunching Micronauts as a toyline. And also, M.A.S.K.
Old 11-24-15, 08:28 AM

Micronauts and Transformers to crossover
Old 11-24-15, 08:33 AM

Live Action Micronauts film to be scripted

more Paramount film writing news
Old 11-25-15, 07:10 PM
Banned

Received 20 Likes on 12 Posts

Great news about the Micronauts movie. I really want to see both the Micronauts & ROM late '70's/'80's Marvel comic series recolored & reprinted on high quality paper; they were both excellent series. Maybe we need movies of both before that can happen...

Last edited by TheDude; 11-25-15 at 07:15 PM.
Old 08-10-17, 01:53 AM
DVD Talk Godfather

Received 987 Likes on 818 Posts

I read the first Micronauts trade and liked it well enough. It was cool to see many of the toys represented, but it felt a little like they were checking those boxes. With the original series, I always preferred the stories set in the Microverse rather than the regular-sized Earth so it's probably a plus that these stories were set there, even though some of the covers depicted Earth.

Anyway, glad I read them, but I don't have a strong urge to read more. Maybe if they go on supercheap sale.
Old 08-10-17, 09:31 AM
DVD Talk Hero

Unlike Transformers, I'm not as attached to Rom and Micronauts as toys/a license as I am to them as the way Marvel wrote them. It didn't help that both launched in this big crossover event with GI Joe and Transformers which just further muddied the books for me. Even MASK, which I am fond of as a franchise, kinda fell flat because in a world with Transformers in it, what's the point?
Old 08-11-17, 04:02 AM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 442 Likes on 301 Posts

Has anyone been following the comics? They cancelled Rom, Micronauts, MASK, and G.I. Joe. And Transformers Till All Are One also ended.

Now, they're relaunching them as G.I. Joe: Unmasked (G.I. Joe + MASK) and Rom & The Micronauts after the First Strike crossover finishes.

I wish they'd quit trying to make this shared Hasbro Universe happen. I don't think anyone wants this.
Old 08-11-17, 05:31 AM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 244 Likes on 174 Posts

How does it work when one company no longer has rights to a character and a different company publishes reprints of another company's classic books.
Conan for example. Marvel can't reprint their own stuff, but how does Dark Horse get Marvel to turn over their stuff? License it? Buy it outright?
Old 08-11-17, 10:56 AM
DVD Talk Hero

I collect Transformers Lost Light, which they relaunched from the last series after a couple of months hiatus, then stuck them in an alternate universe for like six issues, which included a month delay in between, then they decided to have a digital sale on all the issues I just spent 3.99 on, so I dropped it. I had previously dropped Mask because it had little connection to the cartoon or toys besides Miles Mayhem. And I dropped Rom because I realized I wanted a Rom back in the Marvel Universe, not a reboot.

I think the driving factor behind the Hasbro universe is that they want a cinematic universe with these properties, so Hasbro is most likely pushing them into it. I think it's the right move to consolidate, though, since only Transformers (and to a lesser extent, GI Joe) has any kind of toy/movie presence at all, so beyond nostalgic buyers I'm not sure where the audience is coming from.

There were a lot of hints that Inhumanoids were coming to GI Joe in April but I have no idea if that happened (which is kinda sad, I couldn't find a single review on google, unless the issue just didn't come out). Also the SDCC toy set included a Visionaries character.
Old 08-11-17, 11:54 AM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 2,675 Likes on 1,845 Posts

Originally Posted by rw2516
How does it work when one company no longer has rights to a character and a different company publishes reprints of another company's classic books.
Conan for example. Marvel can't reprint their own stuff, but how does Dark Horse get Marvel to turn over their stuff? License it? Buy it outright?
I would assume that the copyright holder would own the material, and then license it to new publishers.
Old 08-11-17, 02:38 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Right, same thing when the Star Wars license went from Dark Horse back to Marvel. It gets dicey when the characters are integrated with characters owned by the comic company themselves, and not the licensor. For instance, IDW had to have formed some deal with Marvel to reprint their Transformers classics, specifically the issues with Spider-man and Circuit Breaker, since they were omitted from previous releases. That's the problem with stuff like Rom and the Micronauts; Rom was heavily embedded in the Marvel Universe, and even if Micronauts just had a crossover here or there, the characters of Bug, Marionette, Rann (though not the Space Glider persona) etc. were created by Marvel.

Marvel has had a couple of failed revivals of the Space Knights without Rom.