Go Back  DVD Talk Forum > Entertainment Discussions > TV Talk
Reload this Page >

SundanceTV channel question

TV Talk Talk about Shows on TV

Old 07-09-15, 07:34 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I always thought this channel aired movies uncut/uncensored (not edited for content). But sometimes I see a movie that IS aired edited. Does anybody know anything about this channel or what their deal is?
Old 07-09-15, 07:42 PM
DVD Talk God

Received 3,543 Likes on 2,539 Posts
Re: SundanceTV channel question

Sundance is a basic cable network on most providers and has commercials. They can't show Uncut content.

http://forum.dvdtalk.com/tv-talk/627...ed-tv-not.html

You posted a similar question 5 days ago.

Last edited by DJariya; 07-09-15 at 07:49 PM.
Old 07-09-15, 08:34 PM

Originally Posted by DJariya
Sundance is a basic cable network on most providers and has commercials. They can't show Uncut content.

http://forum.dvdtalk.com/tv-talk/627...ed-tv-not.html

You posted a similar question 5 days ago.

......yea, I didn't get any response so I made the question more broad.

Anyway, they can/do show movies uncut. They have for years, along with it's sister channel IFC.

My point is, why do they air edited movies mixed in with a bunch of unedited movies?
Old 01-09-16, 01:11 PM

Originally Posted by DJariya View Post

Incorrect. IFC, which is also owned by the same parent company as SUndanceTV (AMC Networks), is also included in most basic cable packages, shows commercials, and shows movies unedited for content.

"On December 8, 2010, IFC began airing commercials within its programming, a move that sparked controversy among its viewers.[8][9] Along with this, IFC began to censor its programming. Most notably, The Whitest Kids U'Know had profanity bleeped and nudity blurred. In addition, all sex scenes from movies that featured nudity were now edited out. Despite continuing to air advertisements during its programming, IFC largely reversed its censorship practices and started to air R-rated movies and TV-MA rated series uncensored. The channel would publicly trumpet this fact in 2012 by releasing ads featuring showings of back-to-back blocks of movies like the Friday the 13th film series, highlighting the nudity and gore."
Old 01-09-16, 06:28 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 546 Likes on 399 Posts

Originally Posted by SofaKingCool1
Originally Posted by DJariya View Post

Incorrect. IFC, which is also owned by the same parent company as SUndanceTV (AMC Networks), is also included in most basic cable packages, shows commercials, and shows movies unedited for content.

"On December 8, 2010, IFC began airing commercials within its programming, a move that sparked controversy among its viewers.[8][9] Along with this, IFC began to censor its programming. Most notably, The Whitest Kids U'Know had profanity bleeped and nudity blurred. In addition, all sex scenes from movies that featured nudity were now edited out. Despite continuing to air advertisements during its programming, IFC largely reversed its censorship practices and started to air R-rated movies and TV-MA rated series uncensored. The channel would publicly trumpet this fact in 2012 by releasing ads featuring showings of back-to-back blocks of movies like the Friday the 13th film series, highlighting the nudity and gore."
So you gave us a lot of info on IFC which is not what they were asking about. Just because they have the same parent company doesn't mean anything.
Old 01-09-16, 08:19 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 783 Likes on 657 Posts

Sundance has aired uncensored, uncut R-rated material in the past. I don't know if they still do.
Old 01-09-16, 08:37 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 575 Likes on 419 Posts

Didn't someone ask this same question back in july last year?
Old 01-10-16, 11:21 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 783 Likes on 657 Posts

This is interesting. Thinking of this thread, I was watching a program on Sundance and they bleeped out foul language. So it does look like they are actively censoring content.
Old 01-11-16, 01:53 AM
DVD Talk Ultimate Edition

Received 129 Likes on 109 Posts

I think Sundance used to be totally uncensored, but I can't even watch the channel anymore because it seems like all the movies are edited now. To hell with that.
Old 01-11-16, 06:16 AM
DVD Talk Platinum Edition

Received 112 Likes on 88 Posts

Sundance Channel once upon a moon was once a bastion of Ducumentaries,Indies and Foreign Films and now it's Law & Order rerun channel 87
Old 01-12-16, 12:41 PM
DVD Talk Platinum Edition

Originally Posted by AaronHernandez
Sundance Channel once upon a moon was once a bastion of Ducumentaries,Indies and Foreign Films and now it's Law & Order rerun channel 87
I miss the days when they aired various documentaries and great indie films. I also liked when Sundance briefly ran the UK version of Shameless.