Go Back  DVD Talk Forum > Entertainment Discussions > Movie Talk
Reload this Page >

DVD Talk Fantasy Movie League

Movie Talk A Discussion area for everything movie related including films In The Theaters

Old 07-08-15, 02:29 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 809 Likes on 598 Posts

Hi,

I wanted to see if anyone would be interested in starting a DVD Talk Fantasy Movie League.

Here are the rules:The league would run until August 30th and then we could start a league for Fall season Sep 4 to Nov 29.

1. The game is broken down into four seasons. For the 2015-2016 game year, the Seasons are:

Summer - May 22 to Aug 30 (15 weeks)
Fall - Sep 4 to Nov 29 (13 weeks)
Awards - Dec 4 to Feb 28 (13 weeks)
Spring - Mar 4 to May 22 (12 weeks)

2. Each week, players select up to eight films to feature on the screens of their own Fantasy Cineplex. Each movie available for selection has an associated FML Bux cost and all players must stay within a fixed spending limit of $1,000 FML Bux.

3. Players can feature a movie on as many screens as their budget allows. They will earn the movie's Box Office total for each screen of their Fantasy Cineplex that features the movie.

4. Players do not have to select movies for all eight of their Fantasy Cineplex screens and may strategically choose not to do so. However, a $2MM penalty will be assessed for each unused screen and the total sum of all penalties will be deducted from the players box office total at the end of the week.

5. The actual box office earnings of the movie featured on each screen in the players Fantasy Cineplex are added together to form a total score for that week. The total of all weeks during a Season is accumulated for ranking purposes, but does not carryover from one Season to another.

6. The box office totals used are the Weekend earnings, as reported by BoxOffice.com. Typically, Weekend earnings are calculated as Friday through Sunday except for Holiday Weekends (Memorial Day, Labor Day, MLK Day), where the totals carry through until Monday. Additionally, any movie opening on Friday but offering "sneak peek" or "previews" on Thursday will have the latter included in their total as well. If a movie opens on a Wednesday, the Wednesday and Thursday numbers are NOT included in the Weekend total.

7. New game weeks begin at 5:00:00PM PT each Monday, except for Holiday Weekends, where the new week does not start until 5:00:00PM PT on Tuesday. Regardless of the start day, all players must finalize their Fantasy Cineplex selections by 9:00:00 AM PT each Friday.

8. Players may add and remove movies as often as they would like prior to the Friday deadline. Movies that have been selected may be removed from Fantasy Cineplex screens and new movies added, so long as the player's budget never exceeds the $1,000 FML Bux limit.

9. Players automatically compete in the All Cineplexes League with all other Fantasy Movie League players, but they can also compete in up to five Public or Private Leagues. The winner of the All Cineplexes league will be rewarded with a $100 Fandango Gift Card.

10. Players can choose to compete in the Second Chance Public League starting in Week 8. The winner of this league will be rewarded with a $100 Fandango Gift Card.

11. Regardless of league choices, for every $1MM in total box office earned by a player's Fantasy Cineplex they will receive one Golden Ticket.

12. Players will earn a bonus $2MM in Box Office total and the associated two Golden Tickets for each screen showing the weekly Best Performer, which is the movie with the highest Box Office per FML Buck.

13. All Golden Tickets earned during a game week are entered into a weekly prize drawing, where one randomly selected Ticket will earn the owner a $25 Fandango gift card. For more information on prizes please read the Contest Rules.

14. All Golden Tickets earned during a Season are entered into a second prize drawing, where two randomly selected Tickets will each earn their owner a $100 Fandango gift card. For more information on prizes please read the Contest Rules.

15. Players can also earn extra Golden Tickets by being a Weekly League Winner (50 Golden Tickets) or a Season League Winner (1000 Golden Tickets).

16. Golden Tickets do not carryover from one Season to another.

I have already created a league. Here's the link to it: http://fantasymovieleague.com/group/...f05268a9e63881

The password is dvdtalk.com

Last edited by lwhy?; 07-08-15 at 02:36 PM.
Old 07-08-15, 02:32 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Re: DVD Talk Fantasy Movie League

Also, This is just for fun since it's being started midseason. If there's a lot of interest and we want to do a cash prize then we can start a pool for the fall or winter seasons.

One more thing, I know it's short notice, but the picks for this week need to be in by noon eastern time on Friday.
Old 07-08-15, 02:57 PM
Banned

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

I don't even know who the fuck you are...

lwhy? Never heard of ya, mate.
Old 07-08-15, 03:00 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Originally Posted by Solid Snake
I don't even know who the fuck you are...

lwhy? Never heard of ya, mate.
I don't post in Movie Talk that often, but I've been a member since 2002. I play in the fantasy football leagues and fantasy Survivor and Amazing Race leagues on dvdtalk and wanted to get a Fantasy Movie League started. I thought that this would be the best forum to post it in. I thought that it could be fun.
Old 07-08-15, 03:30 PM
Banned

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Damn. You're new to me, man. Crazy.
Old 07-08-15, 03:50 PM
DVD Talk Godfather

Received 1,015 Likes on 839 Posts

I know lwhy?, probably because I play in the stuff mentioned above.

Thanks for the game idea! I probably won't participate myself just because of time and because I've never followed box office that closely (though I probably should).
Old 07-08-15, 03:55 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 277 Likes on 212 Posts

Originally Posted by lwhy?
Hi,

I wanted to see if anyone would be interested in starting a DVD Talk Fantasy Movie League.

Here are the rules:The league would run until August 30th and then we could start a league for Fall season Sep 4 to Nov 29.

1. The game is broken down into four seasons. For the 2015-2016 game year, the Seasons are:

Summer - May 22 to Aug 30 (15 weeks)
Fall - Sep 4 to Nov 29 (13 weeks)
Awards - Dec 4 to Feb 28 (13 weeks)
Spring - Mar 4 to May 22 (12 weeks)

2. Each week, players select up to eight films to feature on the screens of their own Fantasy Cineplex. Each movie available for selection has an associated FML Bux cost and all players must stay within a fixed spending limit of $1,000 FML Bux.

3. Players can feature a movie on as many screens as their budget allows. They will earn the movie's Box Office total for each screen of their Fantasy Cineplex that features the movie.

4. Players do not have to select movies for all eight of their Fantasy Cineplex screens and may strategically choose not to do so. However, a $2MM penalty will be assessed for each unused screen and the total sum of all penalties will be deducted from the players box office total at the end of the week.

5. The actual box office earnings of the movie featured on each screen in the players Fantasy Cineplex are added together to form a total score for that week. The total of all weeks during a Season is accumulated for ranking purposes, but does not carryover from one Season to another.

6. The box office totals used are the Weekend earnings, as reported by BoxOffice.com. Typically, Weekend earnings are calculated as Friday through Sunday except for Holiday Weekends (Memorial Day, Labor Day, MLK Day), where the totals carry through until Monday. Additionally, any movie opening on Friday but offering "sneak peek" or "previews" on Thursday will have the latter included in their total as well. If a movie opens on a Wednesday, the Wednesday and Thursday numbers are NOT included in the Weekend total.

7. New game weeks begin at 5:00:00PM PT each Monday, except for Holiday Weekends, where the new week does not start until 5:00:00PM PT on Tuesday. Regardless of the start day, all players must finalize their Fantasy Cineplex selections by 9:00:00 AM PT each Friday.

8. Players may add and remove movies as often as they would like prior to the Friday deadline. Movies that have been selected may be removed from Fantasy Cineplex screens and new movies added, so long as the player's budget never exceeds the $1,000 FML Bux limit.

9. Players automatically compete in the All Cineplexes League with all other Fantasy Movie League players, but they can also compete in up to five Public or Private Leagues. The winner of the All Cineplexes league will be rewarded with a $100 Fandango Gift Card.

10. Players can choose to compete in the Second Chance Public League starting in Week 8. The winner of this league will be rewarded with a $100 Fandango Gift Card.

11. Regardless of league choices, for every $1MM in total box office earned by a player's Fantasy Cineplex they will receive one Golden Ticket.

12. Players will earn a bonus $2MM in Box Office total and the associated two Golden Tickets for each screen showing the weekly Best Performer, which is the movie with the highest Box Office per FML Buck.

13. All Golden Tickets earned during a game week are entered into a weekly prize drawing, where one randomly selected Ticket will earn the owner a $25 Fandango gift card. For more information on prizes please read the Contest Rules.

14. All Golden Tickets earned during a Season are entered into a second prize drawing, where two randomly selected Tickets will each earn their owner a $100 Fandango gift card. For more information on prizes please read the Contest Rules.

15. Players can also earn extra Golden Tickets by being a Weekly League Winner (50 Golden Tickets) or a Season League Winner (1000 Golden Tickets).

16. Golden Tickets do not carryover from one Season to another.

I have already created a league. Here's the link to it: http://fantasymovieleague.com/group/...f05268a9e63881

The password is dvdtalk.com
16 rules and not a Slam Dunk anywhere. What kind of Sheep Challenge is this?
Old 07-08-15, 04:35 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Originally Posted by davidh777
I know lwhy?, probably because I play in the stuff mentioned above.

Thanks for the game idea! I probably won't participate myself just because of time and because I've never followed box office that closely (though I probably should).
Matthew Berry (The ESPN Fantasy Sports Analyst) actually came up with the idea and created the site.
Old 07-09-15, 11:11 AM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Anyone interested? Picks need to be made by Friday morning. If no one joins by tomorrow, I'll just delete the league on the site.
Old 07-09-15, 11:16 AM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 59 Likes on 48 Posts

Too many words. I was out before i had even finished reading the first rule.
Old 07-09-15, 09:33 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Ok looks like no one is interested. Mods can you please lock and delete this thread. I already deleted the league on the fantasymovieleague.com website.
Old 03-28-18, 07:57 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 1,243 Likes on 854 Posts

Well, the thread wasn’t deleted and locked, so I’ll bump it ...

Fantasy Movie League is advertising in theaters. I had never heard of it before.

Anybody interested in rebooting this thread and playing in a Fantasy Movie League? Or would anybody be interested in playing a DVDTalk “League” in /Film’s Summer Movie Wager competition?
Old 03-28-18, 08:39 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

I'd be in for playing. I still play weekly.
Old 03-28-18, 08:41 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 59 Likes on 48 Posts

Three years later and I had forgotten about this thread. I got even less far reading this time around and then noticed I had commented already.
Old 03-28-18, 09:11 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 3,191 Likes on 2,059 Posts

I saw the fantasy movie league ad a few weeks ago when I was at the theater too. Of course I promptly forgot about it which is why I suck at fantasy leagues in the first place.

However, since I’m here daily anyway I’d be down to play.
Old 03-30-18, 10:47 AM
DVD Talk Hero

I’m on the road probably until late tonight. I’ll try to get it set up ove the weekend. That means we probably won’t be able to start till next Monday (not this coming one). Unless Iwhy? wants to set it up ...
Old 03-30-18, 10:53 AM
DVD Talk Godfather

Received 1,015 Likes on 839 Posts

Originally Posted by Abob Teff
Well, the thread wasn’t deleted and locked, so I’ll bump it ...
The OP doesn't have the power to have a thread locked and deleted. They started it but don't "own" it.
Old 03-30-18, 10:57 AM

Received 4,558 Likes on 3,093 Posts

Originally Posted by davidh777
The OP doesn't have the power to have a thread locked and deleted. They started it but don't "own" it.
Not mention, just posting a request doesn't guarantee it gets seen. If something like that were request, the report button should be used.
Old 03-30-18, 12:00 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Originally Posted by Abob Teff
I’m on the road probably until late tonight. I’ll try to get it set up ove the weekend. That means we probably won’t be able to start till next Monday (not this coming one). Unless Iwhy? wants to set it up ...
I'll let you set it up. The deadline to have your lineup set is 12PM Eastern Time on Fridays so we couldn't even play this weekend.
Old 03-30-18, 12:53 PM
Banned

Location: Conducting miss-aisle drills and listening to their rock n roll
Received 168 Likes on 126 Posts

Okay I’ll play.

My cineplex is going to show:

1. Gone With The Wind
2. Avatar
3. Star Wars
4. Titanic
5. Sound of Music
6. E.T.
7. Ten Commandments
8. Doctor Zhivago
Old 03-30-18, 01:07 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Received 47 Likes on 34 Posts

I played this a couple years ago and lasted a few months but the format really is annoying as everyone winds up with too similar of lineups.
Old 03-30-18, 01:12 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 1,300 Likes on 944 Posts

I'll try to play. My phone is pretty full of apps.
Old 04-01-18, 10:09 PM
DVD Talk Hero

I'm new to this whole thing, so if anybody has experience please feel free to offer us advice!

The DVDTalk Box Office Guru League has been established ...

http://fantasymovieleague.com/league...9fc39fddbe4c04

Looks like we can (will) start play for next weekend (April 6-8).

While the League is a running total, I would encourage people to join in at any time and play on a weekly basis.
Old 04-01-18, 10:37 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

I believe I'm in. I wish it would let you see who all is in the league. You should be able to start making picks at 8PM Eastern on Monday. You have to have your lineup set by 12PM Eastern time on Fridays or you'll be locked out.
Old 04-01-18, 11:40 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Right now I can see you and me in the League, lwhy. (I thought it was I why, not L why ... my bad!)

If anybody wants to make a practice run, it looks like there is about 2 hours and 15 minutes to still get in for this weekend's box office. That seems odd, but lwhy and I were both able to set screens for this week and there is a timer counting down on my screen.

Search this Thread

Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.