Go Back  DVD Talk Forum > Entertainment Discussions > Anime Talk
Reload this Page >

Legend of the Galactic Heroes via Sentai Filmworks

Anime Talk Discuss Anime on DVD & Blu-Ray, CGI animations, Manga and other cool stuff from Japan!

Old 07-02-15, 05:24 PM
WTK
Anime Talk Contributor / Moderator

Received 521 Likes on 458 Posts

via PR...
FOR IMMEDIATE RELEASE

SENTAI FILMWORKS LICENSES
"LEGEND OF THE GALACTIC HEROES"

HOUSTON, JULY 9, 2015 – There are big releases and huge releases, but Sentai Filmworks goes above and beyond to make the impossible possible with the acquisition of one of anime’s most renowned and sought after sagas: the mega-epic LEGEND OF THE GALACTIC HEROES! Originally launched as an OVA series, the initial set would continue for an incredible 110 episodes before the sprawling storyline, which documents interstellar war on a galactic scale and from multiple viewpoints, began to spin off a dizzying array of sequels, side stories and remakes.

Mirroring the story’s central thread of warriors learning by trial of fire, LEGEND OF THE GALACTIC HEROES has served as the proving grounds for so many up and coming animation legends that it would require pages to list them all. However, few stars shine as brightly as those of the steady hands of the commanders who launched the series: legendary director Noboru Ishiguru, who created the transforming mecha genre with his legendary Super Dimension Fortress Macross, gave birth to the OVA with Megazone 23, and guided the voyages of Space Battleship Yamato and many other classics, and animation production house Kitty, whose other gifts to anime include such classics as Ranma ½, Ninja Scroll (TV), Urusei Yatsura, Yawara! and Maison Ikkoku.

LEGEND OF THE GALACTIC HEROES will be available through select digital outlets with a home video release to follow.
via AX | Sentai Filmworks

http://bayoab.info/live/old.php?panel=317

14:31:42 <bay|AX|Sentai> Next show...
14:31:46 <bay|AX|Sentai> pretty much the same story..
14:31:50 <bay|AX|Sentai> everyone's been asking about this
14:32:05 <bay|AX|Sentai> Legend of the Galactic Heroes

Last edited by WTK; 07-09-15 at 07:30 PM.
Old 07-07-15, 04:17 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 1,884 Likes on 1,455 Posts
Re: Legend of the Galactic Heroes via Sentai Filmworks

So ten sets of 11 episodes each?
Old 07-07-15, 04:47 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 783 Likes on 657 Posts

Sentai Filmworks is pretty good about their releases in terms of content per set. They usually don't pull the volume nonsense a lot of other anime distributors release.
Old 07-07-15, 07:14 PM
DVD Talk Hero

? Did they change recently? I believe Bodacious Space Pirates and Penguin Drum were both done by them, and the season was split into two ~13 episode chunks.

In any case, I was mainly joking, I hope it does well, as an older, longer series.
Old 07-08-15, 12:10 AM
DVD Talk Hero

They've been reissuing many of their older volumes into complete sets. I've noticed they like reissuing their less popular titles this way. The better sellers tend to stay in separate volumes.
Old 07-08-15, 08:50 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 239 Likes on 175 Posts

Is this expected to have an English dub?
Old 07-08-15, 09:32 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 275 Likes on 210 Posts

ANN lists it as an OAV series, IMDB lists it as a TV series. Which was it?
Old 07-08-15, 11:21 AM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Received 114 Likes on 80 Posts

Originally Posted by Ash Ketchum
ANN lists it as an OAV series, IMDB lists it as a TV series. Which was it?
Both, apparently. It was originally released as an OAV (four seperate releases) and later shown on TV.
Old 03-30-18, 02:05 PM
WTK

EDIT: additional packaging shots can be seen here https://imgur.com/a/HNIug

Streaming links:
- original OVA series: https://www.hidive.com/tv/legend-of-the-galactic-heroes
- Gaiden (starting to stream): https://www.hidive.com/tv/legend-of-...-heroes-gaiden

Legend of the Galactic Heroes: OVAs + Films Collection (Blu-ray LE) - 4430 minutes - $799.98 - 7/24/18 [Sentai Filmworks Shop exclusive]
- https://shop.sentaifilmworks.com/pro...remium-box-set
Japanese with English Subtitles

LIMITED QUANTITIES* Only 1000 Copies Available!
*Our premium box sets are exclusive and limited to a set number so be sure to get your hands on this limited edition release before it's gone!!

Included in this release:
- Legend of the Galactic Heroes - 110 Episodes
- Legend of the Galactic Heroes Gaiden - 52 Episodes
- Film 1 - "My Conquest is the Sea of Stars"
- Film 2 - "Overture to a New War"
- Film 3 - "Golden Wings"

Unique chipboard box with magnetic clsing front lid
The complete 162 episode series + 3 movie across 26 Blu-ray discs
Four digipaks to contain all 26 Blu-ray discs
Four chipboard boxes that contain the digipaks
200 page hard cover book - series timeline, episode guide, character guide
Free Planets Alliance and Galactic Empire double-sided metal coins
Two 3D lenticular cards
Uniquely serialized metal plaque - 1 of only 1000

Last edited by WTK; 04-02-18 at 11:58 PM.
Old 04-03-18, 04:37 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Yikes. I really love the series but I can't justify that, especially when it's that limited so it'll never see any kind of sale.
Old 04-13-18, 11:15 PM

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

Can't support such a set when the episodes are up scales. Only the movies are native HD from what I've heard.
Old 08-24-18, 08:42 PM
WTK

<iframe width="560" height="315" src="https://www.youtube.com/embed/OS9nxJTHv90?rel=0&controls=0" frameborder="0" allow="autoplay; encrypted-media" allowfullscreen></iframe>
Old 09-11-18, 03:55 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I've had this series on my watch list for a few months now, and just started it. I've watched the first two movies and I'm starting on the main series now. I really like it, but I just can't fathom dropping $800 on any anime series. This coming from someone who preordered the SDF Macross DVD box set back when it was first released and who is buying most of the Gundam Blu-ray sets. I'd love to own this... but $350-400 seems more in line with what I would expect this to go for.
Old 05-01-20, 01:01 PM

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I import a lot of English-friendly Japanese Blu-ray releases, which are quite costly in themselves, usually $250-$300 per cour, but the Legend of the Galactic Heroes Set from Sentai is the costliest anime set I've ever purchased. Unless, you consider the 24 individual but matching JP digipak releases of Studio Ghibli movies as being one complete set; those ran about $1200 total. Fortunately, I was able to use Paypal Credit on my purchase of LotGH, which offers 6 months 0% financing, so $135 per month for 6 months was not as painful to lay out as $800 all at one pop. My box set is #422 out of 1000, so just middle of the pack number-wise.

My biggest complaint with the set is that they did not include the on-screen text for the different characters when they are introduced, like they had done previously. So you have to either look them up in the included book that comes with the set, or pay attention closely.
Old 05-05-20, 09:06 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Japanese Blu-rays are an expensive game to play. I've only ever imported a few of my absolute favorite anime from Japan.
Old 05-08-20, 06:01 PM

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by PhantomStranger
Japanese Blu-rays are an expensive game to play. I've only ever imported a few of my absolute favorite anime from Japan.
Well, if there is an English-subtitled Japanese anime release of a series I like, that becomes a priority purchase for me. I prefer to own "the real thing" over a westernized copy of an anime - although I usually double-dip for the US release anyway, just so I have a dub to use for my friends if I show them the series. For my own personal viewing, it's strictly subtitles-only. I just recently imported the B: The Beginning JP set with subtitles - fortunately that one was just under $200, so not as high as some JP series sets go for.

The media shelf units I use for my anime collection have eight 3-foot wide shelves in each of them, and my Japanese anime imports currently fills 6 of the shelves in one of the units. So I do have quite a few JP anime Blu-ray Box sets in my collection.