Go Back  DVD Talk Forum > Entertainment Discussions > Movie Talk
Reload this Page >

Pinocchio -- S: Robert Downey, Jr.

Community
Search
Movie Talk A Discussion area for everything movie related including films In The Theaters

Search this Thread

Old 07-01-15, 01:09 PM

Received 4,581 Likes on 3,101 Posts

Paul Thomas Anderson is writing the screenplay for Warner Bros. and Team Downey’s retelling of “Pinocchio.”

Although Anderson has only been hired to pen the script, there's a possibly he could direct the movie as well, seeing that the director has hardly ever just written a movie without also directing the project.

Michael Mitnick penned the most recent draft and Downey, along with his wife and producing partner Susan Downey, will produce along with Dan Jinnks.

Downey is onboard to play Geppetto in the tale about a wooden puppet who wants to become a human boy. Downey has been developing the project for some time but has held off given Disney’s surge of live-action retellings of animated classics and fairy tales but Anderson’s attachment should get the wheels moving quickly on this priority at the studio.

The film marks the first project Anderson has worked on since “Inherent Vice,” which also earned Anderson and Oscar nomination for his screenplay.

He is repped by CAA.
http://variety.com/2015/film/news/pa...jr-1201532521/
Old 07-01-15, 01:22 PM
Banned

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
Re: Pinnochio (W: P.T. Anderson) - S: Robert Downey, Jr.

hrm. I guess that's cool?
Old 07-01-15, 01:34 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 3,205 Likes on 2,069 Posts

The talent involved is the ONLY thing that has me interested. Though probably by the time it's all said and done RDJ will have dropped out and the studio will have hired a handful of hacks to rewrite Anderson's script.
Old 07-01-15, 01:49 PM
Banned

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

RDJr likes to drop movies that could be interesting. He does that a lot.
Old 07-01-15, 01:54 PM
Banned

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

This idea is something RDJ and PTA probably conjured up at one of their pads while baked off their ass. I'll be shocked if this actually comes to fruition. You can't top Roberto Begnini anyway so why bother.
Old 07-01-15, 02:28 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

As much as I love Anderson's work, this is just about the last thing I want to see him doing right now. Don't need to see this story told again; I don't care who's writing it.
Old 07-01-15, 02:28 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 1,191 Likes on 917 Posts

I like PTA and RDJ but I would rather see Guillermo del Toro's version of Pinocchio.
Old 07-01-15, 02:33 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Received 31 Likes on 25 Posts

RDJ has been talking about this project for the last couple of years in interviews. It's a passion project for him so I don't think he'll easily drop out of this one. He tried to get Ben Stiller to direct it for a while but he couldn't get him onboard. It'll be interesting to say the least.
Old 07-01-15, 03:26 PM
Suspended

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

So Gepetto is going to be smartass. RDJ has become SLJ, but without the yelling.
Old 11-13-15, 11:33 AM

Things have been pretty quiet on the front of Warner Bros.’ live-action Pinocchio picture ever since Paul Thomas Anderson was reported to be writing and possibly directing the adaptation. While the addition of an auteur like Anderson would have given the film a huge PR boost, it’s now looking like he won’t be directing after all. There’s no word on whether or not Anderson’s script for the film is still in process, or even if it will be used at all. If and when another director steps in, they’ll likely want to tailor it more to their vision as a solely Paul Thomas Anderson-written script without Paul Thomas Anderson in the director’s chair could prove unwieldy; Anderson has never written something, even a video short, that he didn’t also direct.

Then again, Warner Bros.’ Pinocchio still has Robert Downey Jr. attached, and that guy’s no slouch. But keep in mind that the studio heads are now looking at this adaptation in light of the disastrous box office and critical performance of Joe Wright’s Pan which has yet to even earn back its budget. If Hugh Jackman couldn’t draw audiences in, I’m not sure if RDJ’s name on the marquee will be enough; WB likely feels the same at the moment, but that’s neither been confirmed nor denied.

News of PTA’s decision not to direct Pinocchio comes courtesy of The Wrap’s Jeff Sneider:

Jeff Sneider
@TheInSneider
Hearing Paul Thomas Anderson won't direct PINOCCHIO & Alfonso Cuaron passed on DOCTOR SLEEP after being rumored to direct earlier this year.

So while Warner Bros.’ Pinocchio project remains rather lifeless, Disney also has a similar movie in the works. We haven’t heard much on that film since April of this year. There’s also a stop-motion Pinocchio project from Guillermo del Toro that’s been tinkered with for quite some time. At this point, it’s anyone’s guess just which project will be the first to bring the titular wooden doll to life on the big screen
http://collider.com/paul-thomas-ande...ect-pinocchio/
Old 11-13-15, 02:14 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 276 Likes on 172 Posts

Live action Pinocchio...?

How can we ever top Paul Reubens, Roberto Benigni and Jonathan Taylor Thomas?

Last edited by GuessWho; 02-18-16 at 08:56 AM.
Old 11-13-15, 02:20 PM
DVD Talk Godfather

Received 182 Likes on 120 Posts

Originally Posted by dex14
it’s now looking like he won’t be directing after all
Best news I've heard all day.
Old 11-13-15, 04:04 PM

Received 17 Likes on 13 Posts

that Roberto Benigni film adaptation was a walking abortion ... hideous.
Old 11-13-15, 07:53 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 40 Likes on 24 Posts

I saw a Female live action version the other night called Panochio.
Old 11-14-15, 09:15 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 204 Likes on 158 Posts

They could easily do a Boogie Nights homage with Pinnochio when it comes to a certain aspect about the character...
Old 11-14-15, 09:55 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 82 Likes on 49 Posts

"Oh, that's good. So you know me. You know my reputation. Thirteen inches of tough load, I don't treat you gently. That's right. I'm Pinocchio. So I'm going to be nice."
Old 02-18-16, 07:28 AM

Academy Award-winning director Ron Howard is attached to direct Warner Bros.’ PINOCCHIO, sources have confirmed, a project that has been climbing the rungs of the development ladder over the past few years. Howard replaces Paul Thomas Anderson, who was previously attached to write and direct the project, before he stepped away last fall.

Howard, his producing partner Brian Grazer, and their Imagine banner will join forces with producer Dan Jinks of The Dan Jinks Company and Team Downey’s Robert Downey Jr. and Susan Downey. Downey Jr. is also attached to star in the role of Geppetto.

The family-oriented film has been on Downey Jr.’s radar for some time, and now that Howard is involved, things are expected to move quickly. Jane Goldman, Michael Mitnick, and most recently, Bryan Fuller, have penned previous drafts of the script based on the classic book by Carlo Collodi, and while there’s been no word on a new writer just yet, you can expect Howard to have his say on the project’s next screenwriter.

The story details are being kept under wraps, but the broad strokes follow Geppetto as he sets out to find Pinocchio when he goes missing.

Live-action adaptations of Pinocchio have been done before – Roberto Benigni had a take on the story in 2002 – but this latest version is expected to follow the trend of recent live-action adaptations of popular children stories like Alice in Wonderland, Maleficent, and Cinderella all of which have found enormous commercial success by tweaking the details of familiar narratives to suit a broader audience.

The forthcoming Beauty and the Beast, The Jungle Book, and The Jungle Book: Origins are all expected to follow a similar formula, drawing in audiences with recognizable properties, but subverting their expectations. (Howard was once in talks to direct Warner Bros.’ Jungle Book: Origins after Alejandro González Iñárritu left the project, but Andy Serkis eventually landed the gig.)
http://www.tracking-board.com/exclus...omas-anderson/
Old 02-18-16, 07:39 AM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 1,022 Likes on 812 Posts
re: Pinocchio -- S: Robert Downey, Jr.

That's a big step in making this totally irrelevant to me.