Go Back  DVD Talk Forum > Shopping Discussions > Store Forum
Reload this Page >

Has anybody figured out the coupon schedule for Half Price Books?

Community
Search
Store Forum Share Your Shopping Experiences at Stores both Online and Off.

Search this Thread

Old 06-22-15, 09:26 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 1,408 Likes on 1,031 Posts

I've been getting their coupons via email for a few years now, it's always several times a year, but I've never bothered to see if there's a pattern. Was wondering if anybody else knows?

(It looks like several people in my area have been unloading their Criterion DVDs and I'd like to clean up )
Old 06-24-15, 01:41 AM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Re: Has anybody figured out the coupon schedule for Half Price Books?

Probably a 50% off coupon coming by mid-July. That was on a single item.

I recall one last Summer along with a 20% off everthing in August.

Last edited by Xbox69; 06-24-15 at 01:47 AM.
Old 06-24-15, 09:41 AM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts

Originally Posted by milo bloom
I've been getting their coupons via email for a few years now, it's always several times a year, but I've never bothered to see if there's a pattern. Was wondering if anybody else knows?
I've noticed that every time I get a coupon via email, a coupon promotion seems to start.

Sorry.
Old 06-24-15, 09:48 AM
DVD Talk Legend

I'm thinking July too, maybe around the holiday.

There's several locations around me so I print multiple copies and visit them all, sometimes I can get my wife to use one for me too.
Old 06-24-15, 12:03 PM
DVD Talk Legend

So I had received an email from HBP the other day about some other promotion and I responded to it asking about coupons. I didn't expect a response, figuring it was just a bot mailer, but someone actually responded today and said the next coupons would be for July 8-12.

Great customer service!
Old 07-12-15, 04:42 PM

I have been with the company quite a while now. Let me help!
These are the typical sales we have, at least since I've been there. The one that changes from year to year or sale to sale are the big mailers. They always try new combos of days to see what drives more store traffic. We lowly store folk never have any idea, we just get a marketing packet with the days and discounts.

Valentine's Day: Book lover's weekend. Generally 20% off your total purchase for a 3 day period around V-Day

Sometime in March, usually 2nd or 3rd week: Coupon Mailer

Memorial Day Weekend: 20% off your total purchase, usually Thurs-Mon

Sometime in July, usually 2nd or 3rd week: Coupon Mailer

Labor Day Weekend: 20% off your total purchase, usually Thurs-Mon

Sometime in November, usually 2nd or 3rd week: Coupon Mailer

Black Friday: Some sort of coupon with money and/or percent off. Gift bag giveaway to first 100 customers in store; each bag has $5 gift card, one has a grand prize, usually $100.

Week after Xmas (give or take a few days): 20% off total purchase.

If you're on the mailing list, you want to be on e-mail. They get more news and coupon "reminders", like if you miss the first few days of a sale, they send you one for that day or the days going forward. If you give them your birthday, you'll get a birthday coupon, it's like 10 or 15% off a purchase.
Old 07-12-15, 07:42 PM

HPB also does a promo in November/December and again in May where they give you a $5 coupon for every $25 gift card you purchase (this also works for higher denominations; e.g., 4 $5 coupons for a $100 GC). The November/December coupons can be used in January, and the May coupons can be used in June. I always stock up on GCs during those promos to use during 20-50% off coupon weeks and then use the $5 coupons the following month.
Old 07-12-15, 07:47 PM

Also, the coupon weeks have changed in the last year or so. For as long as I can remember, they were for 7 days and went Monday-Tuesday 40% off, Wednesday-Thursday 30% off, Friday-Saturday 20% off, and finally Sunday 50% off. For the last few mailers, though, they have been for five days: Wed-Thurs 30%, Fri-Sat 40%, and Sunday 50%.

Also, for anyone this applies to, teachers (including homeschoolers) can get an educator discount card for 10% off every day.
Old 07-12-15, 11:30 PM

Originally Posted by rainkins
Also, the coupon weeks have changed in the last year or so. For as long as I can remember, they were for 7 days and went...
Yep. A few years ago they started some minor changes to order of the percentages...and then they shortened the number of days. They've also shortened up the sale after Xmas, though I think that has more to do with when the fiscal year actually is determined to end- it's as much to do with inventory reduction as making money.

Anytime when you sell us books, we'll give you a 10% coupon from sometime in February until late March. Helps restock.