Community
Search
TV Talk Talk about Shows on TV

Killjoys (SyFy) -- Series Discussion Thread

Search this Thread

Old 06-19-15, 05:31 AM

Received 4,579 Likes on 3,099 Posts
Killjoys (SyFy) -- Series Discussion Thread

Killjoys follows a fun-loving, hard living trio of interplanetary bounty hunters sworn to remain impartial as they chase deadly warrants throughout the Quad, a distant system on the brink of a bloody, multi-planetary class war. From Temple Street Productions, the producers of Orphan Black, and writer and showrunner Michelle Lovretta, creator of Lost Girl, the original, 10-episode Syfy series stars Hannah John-Kamen (Black Mirror), Luke Macfarlane (Brothers & Sisters) and Aaron Ashmore (Warehouse 13).

PRINCIPAL CAST INFORMATION:
· Aaron Ashmore as John Jaqobis
· Hannah John-Kamen as Dutch
· Luke Macfarlane as D'avin

CREW INFORMATION:
· Chris Grismer as CP/DIR (Pilot)
· David Fortier as EP
· Ivan Schneeberg as EP
· Michelle Lovretta as CRTR/EP

<iframe width="560" height="315" src="https://www.youtube.com/embed/T8rLnjMqi78" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen></iframe>
10 episode season
Old 06-19-15, 12:05 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
re: Killjoys (SyFy) -- Series Discussion Thread

Looking forward to this. The reviews are so-so (cookie cutter characters and can't decide if it wants to be campy or serious) but it's a freakin' space show about bounty hunters and the action is supposed to be done well. I read up on the back story and the 'universe' sounds interesting.
Old 06-19-15, 05:35 PM
DVD Talk God

Received 1,365 Likes on 927 Posts

Originally Posted by Shady12
Looking forward to this. The reviews are so-so (cookie cutter characters and can't decide if it wants to be campy or serious) but it's a freakin' space show about bounty hunters and the action is supposed to be done well. I read up on the back story and the 'universe' sounds interesting.
this review is glowingly positive: http://io9.com/killjoys-really-is-a-...sho-1712643138

i saw the promo pic and i was like "how the hell is Shawn Ashmore on a show when he's already on one?" i had no idea he had a twin brother. that's crazy.
Old 06-19-15, 05:53 PM
TGM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 401 Likes on 250 Posts

I try and support all hard-core sci-fi on TV. at least for a couple of episodes.
Old 06-19-15, 06:35 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Originally Posted by Deftones
this review is glowingly positive: http://io9.com/killjoys-really-is-a-...sho-1712643138

i saw the promo pic and i was like "how the hell is Shawn Ashmore on a show when he's already on one?" i had no idea he had a twin brother. that's crazy.
Nice. I had read a couple reviews but didn't see that one. I also had no idea there was another Ashmore until reading up on the show.
Old 06-19-15, 07:21 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 13 Likes on 11 Posts

Originally Posted by Shady12
Nice. I had read a couple reviews but didn't see that one. I also had no idea there was another Ashmore until reading up on the show.
I knew they were twins but too lazy to look up which one was Ice Man. I just didn't care to know which is which.

This show looks interesting though. I will give it a shot.
Old 06-20-15, 08:19 AM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 15 Likes on 14 Posts

I liked the first episode. More money was put into it than Dark Matter. The acting was ok and the story was interesting.

The main cast is ok. I don't have a instant love for any of them. All of them seem to have potential.

All in all I'm looking forward to more episode but don't think it will be around for long because it looks to expensive.
Old 06-20-15, 12:16 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

I liked it more than the first episode of Dark Matter (haven't watched episode 2 yet of that). Definitely very low budget but I thought they did well with what they had and was entertaining.
Old 06-20-15, 10:03 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 810 Likes on 684 Posts

This had a vastly better pilot than Dark Matter. I really enjoyed this first episode's energy and it did a good job of introducing the show's critical relationships without being too obvious about it.

It didn't hurt the female lead was cute and had a very interesting British accent.
Old 06-20-15, 11:31 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 1,016 Likes on 628 Posts

Yep, this was better than Dark Matter's first two eps. Still suffers a bit from having that generic Syfy look to it, but I'll keep watching for now.
Old 06-21-15, 08:34 AM
DVD Talk God

Received 3,637 Likes on 2,610 Posts

Watched the 1st episode last night. It was decent. Kind of quirky, which was cool.

Mostly it was just to set up John, Dutch and D'Avin working together.

I'm surprised a few of you weren't aware of the Ashmore brothers. Shawn is the bigger star with roles in The X-Men movies and The Following most recently.

But, Aaron (the one on this show) played Jimmy Olsen on Smallville for several years and was also a regular on Warehouse 13.
Old 06-21-15, 10:46 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by DJariya
I'm surprised a few of you weren't aware of the Ashmore brothers. Shawn is the bigger star with roles in The X-Men movies and The Following most recently.

But, Aaron (the one on this show) played Jimmy Olsen on Smallville for several years and was also a regular on Warehouse 13.
I actually thought the guy on the Following was the same guy who was on Smallville. Had no idea they were two different actors!
Old 06-21-15, 10:58 AM

Received 7 Likes on 5 Posts

This will probably be a better show than Dark Matter, but I suspect I'll get more fun out of DM's action/adventure tropes. This show seems like it'll be more dependent on the quality of the writing yet its still a B-level show so I don't have high hopes there.
Old 06-21-15, 04:59 PM
DVD Talk Platinum Edition

Received 73 Likes on 48 Posts

This was a very entertaining show. Will definitely keep watching.
Old 06-21-15, 05:33 PM
DVD Talk God

Received 1,365 Likes on 927 Posts

I never watched Smallville or Warehouse 13, so I had no idea there were more than one Ashmore.
Old 06-22-15, 02:09 AM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Received 15 Likes on 11 Posts

I like this one better than Dark Matter.
Old 06-22-15, 07:44 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I'll agree with the consensus and say that I liked it better than Dark Matter, but in my case I still did not really like it. I don't really care about the character's back stories or the brothers' interactions with each other. But a lot of genre shows got a lot better with a little time, so I'll stick with it for awhile at least.
Old 06-22-15, 09:10 PM
DVD Talk Hero

So will the show revolve around a love triangle? It seemed like the bounty hunter was making eyes at the criminal brother she just met after hanging out with Ashmore for six years. That probably won't be explored much in this first season.
Old 06-23-15, 08:38 AM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Not sure about a triangle. Seems to have been nothing going on at all between she and the Ashmore character for all those years. So most people agree with me that it's more interesting than Dark Matter so far..reading elswhere seems to be the opposite!

One thing I hope we get some of in both shows is actual space battles. So far we have maybe a two second shot of a ship then onto the ground or in-ship. Maybe the budgets won't allow for it but it's only been three total episodes so far between the two shows.
Old 06-23-15, 05:21 PM

Received 153 Likes on 116 Posts

Originally Posted by PhantomStranger
So will the show revolve around a love triangle? It seemed like the bounty hunter was making eyes at the criminal brother she just met after hanging out with Ashmore for six years. That probably won't be explored much in this first season.
I don't see any signs of it...at least yet. Dutch and John seem more like bros. They can always go the Warehouse 13 route to preempt it.
Old 06-25-15, 11:26 AM

the poster is gawdawful but the show wasn't half bad. I'm in for now
Old 06-26-15, 03:22 PM

I watched the pilot this morning and I thought it was ok. I think it will work well as Friday night SyFy show.
Old 07-06-15, 12:06 AM
DVD Talk Hero

I've really enjoyed every episode of this series to date. I typically don't like the action-heavy criminal plot of the week to solve formula but it works pretty well on Killjoys. Each character has been getting their own development and you can kind of see where things are going.
Old 07-06-15, 05:32 AM
TGM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 401 Likes on 250 Posts

the female lead is sexy as hell.
Old 07-06-15, 11:27 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 1,016 Likes on 628 Posts

Yes, she is. Definitely one of the reasons I'm watching.

Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.