Fallout Shelter - iOS (other platforms... eventually/never?) - Out NOW

Search this Thread

Old 06-16-15, 09:53 AM
Dan
DVD Talk Hero

Received 1,181 Likes on 834 Posts
Fallout Shelter - iOS (other platforms... eventually/never?) - Out NOW

Surprised no one is talking about this:
<iframe width="560" height="315" src="https://www.youtube.com/embed/HY4jCjufLG8?rel=0" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen></iframe>
Fallout Shelter puts you in control of a state-of-the-art underground Vault from Vault-Tec. Build the perfect Vault, keep your Dwellers happy, and protect them from the dangers of the Wasteland.

Vault-Tec has provided the tools, but the rest is up to you. What are you waiting for? Get started building your Vault today for free.
I haven't had a chance to try it on my wife's iPhone, but it looks fun.
Old 06-16-15, 09:56 AM
DVD Talk Godfather

Received 26 Likes on 14 Posts
Re: Fallout Shelter - iOS (other platforms... eventually/never?) - Out NOW

I started messing with it yesterday. Kind of a silly sim, decent enough to pass the time though. Hard to play on the iPhone 6 with such a small screen.
Old 06-16-15, 09:56 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

I downloaded it but haven't fired it up yet. Will probably try it on my iPad, for reasons mentioned above.
Old 06-16-15, 09:57 AM
Dan
DVD Talk Hero

Received 1,181 Likes on 834 Posts

Yeah, a co-worker was playing it on his iPhone 5S. Definitely too small for the game. It looks like it's really meant to shine on an iPad or iPad Mini, and putting it on phones was more of an afterthought.
Old 06-16-15, 10:19 AM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I was having fun with it, until I got to about 16 people, then all of a sudden things weren't sustainable and now everyone is unhappy. It didn't help that I got attacked by raiders a few times too.
Old 06-16-15, 10:54 AM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts

It's ok so far. Any way to relocate a room once you place it?
Old 06-16-15, 11:18 AM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Nope, which sucks.
Old 06-16-15, 11:20 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 220 Likes on 176 Posts

My guess is no. I read on Reddit that if you put similar rooms together, they create one giant room.

I've only played for about 15 min. It's ok, not sure if it will hold my interest as I progress. I can see it becoming a lot of micromanaging without much true enjoyment.

Bias: I liked Xcom, but stopped playing due to the portion of the game that Fallout Shelter emulates.
Old 06-16-15, 08:06 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 396 Likes on 296 Posts

It's cool when you get lunch boxes and rare cards (three or four to start) but then your guys eventually start getting unhappy and/or dying.
Old 06-17-15, 07:37 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Playing it, but like above, once I hit 18 or so ppl, it is damn near impossible to keep the place happy and sustainable. I can't take ppl off the job long enough to make babies, so I can't increase my ppl count, therefore don't have workers for new rooms.

Quite frustrating.
Old 06-17-15, 01:13 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 220 Likes on 176 Posts

My happiness dropped to something like 12%. Moving people into the rooms they are predisposed to helped a lot. Their happiness went up, production in those rooms went up, and I was able to get some baby-making going on.

For those who aren't aware: When you drag and drop people into room, a number pops up above their head. Higher numbers mean they are going to do better in those rooms than others.
Old 06-17-15, 02:16 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Yeah, I stopped playing it already. Oh well, I love the art style.
Old 06-17-15, 02:58 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Yeah, I understand the SPECIAL system. Mine were all happy until I got raided three times in a row. Now I'm like stuck in a hole and can't catch up, lol.

All of my people say they are scared of rad poisoning, etc. Bastards don't trust their Overseer!!!
Old 06-17-15, 03:34 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Yep, those raids fucking suck. I just think the balance is off.
Old 06-17-15, 09:51 PM
Suspended

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

I actually messed with it quite a bit the last few days, then tonight had a random radroach attack that killed 17 of my 30 residents. And I had plenty of guns I kept shuffling around, they just kept coming in waves. So now I need about 4000 caps to revive my people. Oh well. It looks cool anyways, but I'll wait for Fallout 4.
Old 06-18-15, 12:13 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 6 Likes on 4 Posts

Pretty fun little game.

THings that are beyond annoying:

Not being able to destroy/move rooms around without having to destroy rooms on either side of it. Completely Redonkolous. I've had to completely destroy upgraded/expanded rooms to destroy stuff.
Help/Tutorial sucks, sure things like putting highest level ability in the job that corresponds with that ability makes them happy. But crap like someone being stuck at 90% happiness when they are working their favorite job, have food and water and power etc.

Things I like:

Love the art work
Love finding those legendary cards
Feels a little like FTL (with fighting the fires/roaches) and Xcom (Dweller management)
Sending out your guys into the wilderness to find items/get experience is kind of fun.

Things I hope they put in the future:

Ability to go visit friends vaults
Ability to trade items/legendary cards
Legendary Cards stay with the vault they are in, Would hope that when you open Legendary Cards, they can be used in all of your vaults.
Old 06-18-15, 06:22 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 1,928 Likes on 1,491 Posts

I think you can destroy rooms as long as it doesn't leave a room stranded with no connection to the rest of the vault. So if you have another set of elevators, as long as it's not in a corner and there's another path, you can destroy stuff in between. Very confusing, though, it took me a while to just figure out where the destroy button is.

I like that if you send characters to other rooms during a raid, they will stay assigned to the room they were in before the raid, and automatically go back there (same for the screaming pregnant ladies).

So, uh, if I go to sleep for 8 hours (IRL) everyone in this vault is gonna die, right?

edited to add: oh, apparently if you close the app, the resources stop draining after a while and no disasters happen, cool.

Last edited by fujishig; 06-18-15 at 06:39 PM.
Old 06-19-15, 09:28 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 6 Likes on 4 Posts

This game needs a weapon/armor manager. It is frustrating going through all 100 dwellers, trying to find the fat gun
Old 06-20-15, 06:48 PM

Received 122 Likes on 84 Posts

I love how putting somebody in lingerie makes them more efficient at working the radio station.
Old 06-20-15, 07:36 PM
DVD Talk Godfather

Originally Posted by fujishig
I think you can destroy rooms as long as it doesn't leave a room stranded with no connection to the rest of the vault. So if you have another set of elevators, as long as it's not in a corner and there's another path, you can destroy stuff in between. Very confusing, though, it took me a while to just figure out where the destroy button is.
So that's why, was wondering why I couldn't destroy an old building and what that message meant. Is there a a way to tell how big rooms can expand by? For instance the water treatment can only be 2 rooms next to each other, but power i'm up to 3.
Old 06-20-15, 11:09 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Originally Posted by Dan
Surprised no one is talking about this:
That's because it's only on iphones.
Old 06-20-15, 11:19 PM

Received 122 Likes on 84 Posts

I have a 3x water room.
Old 06-21-15, 12:21 AM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Received 20 Likes on 13 Posts

Originally Posted by fumanstan
So that's why, was wondering why I couldn't destroy an old building and what that message meant. Is there a a way to tell how big rooms can expand by? For instance the water treatment can only be 2 rooms next to each other, but power i'm up to 3.

All the rooms have to be the same level. If you have rooms side by side and you leveled up one of them, you have to level up the other one before they will merge.
Old 06-21-15, 01:59 AM
DVD Talk Godfather

Ah that's why. Good to know.
Old 06-21-15, 03:00 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 1,928 Likes on 1,491 Posts

Yeah everything can be 3x combined. But you only have room for two three room combinations per floor, one two room combination, and two elevators (the vault on floor one takes the place of a 3 room). So I left the item making rooms at 2x.

Some tips for when you're starting out:
The tutorial asks you to place rooms in non optimal positions. You don't have to do so. Like I said before, you'll want to leave room to place three like rooms together so they combine.
Don't upgrade rooms until after you've combined them, or you'll have to upgrade them individually. Also upgraded rooms mean fiercer disasters.
You can live off of a 3x food, 3x power, and 2x water for quite a while. You'll need 3x water eventually but water seems to have less of a need than the other two.
Don't get everyone pregnant at once. The main reason for this is because then they'll have babies all at once, and it takes another 8 or so hours for them to grow up, and in the meantime they're sucking up resources and not working (how realistic ). Stagger them.
While pregnant women can go right back to work, they will not help out when disaster strikes, so avoid a room with only pregnant women.
Send some guys out of the vault almost immediately. If you have med packs, give them some (you'll be swimming in them eventually) and a radaway. The longer they're out there, the more loot they get. It's basically the only way for you to get weapons, which are essential when raiders attack. Also they won't consume resources. They will level up much slower, so switch them out early on to let your guys level evenly.
Return time for someone outside of the vault is half the time they've been exploring. Don't let them leave with all the weapons because they won't be available to come back quickly in an emergency.
Don't overexpand. Try to make sure you have enough weapons to ward off raiders and rad roach attacks before you expand too much. I suspect the larger your population, the fiercer the raiders are, though I don't know for sure.

Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.