Search
TV Talk Talk about Shows on TV

The Jim Gaffigan Show (TV Land) - Series Discussion Thread - premieres 7/15/15

Search this Thread

Old 06-11-15, 07:02 PM
Inane Thread Master, 2018 TOTY

Received 911 Likes on 771 Posts
The Jim Gaffigan Show (TV Land) - Series Discussion Thread - premieres 7/15/15

saw this as a sneak preview that aired after Younger. this was really funny. i enjoyed it quite a bit. look out for it on TV Land.

<iframe src="http://media.mtvnservices.com/embed/mgid:arc:video:tvland.com:5f0cfe82-3b90-484d-848a-23bfb40c2272" width="512" height="288" frameborder="0"></iframe>

The Jim Gaffigan Show
Get More: The Official Jim Gaffigan Show Website

Old 07-15-15, 06:33 AM

Received 4,579 Likes on 3,099 Posts
Re: The Jim Gaffigan Show (TV Land) - Season 1 Discussion Thread - premieres 7/15/15

"The Jim Gaffigan Show" stars and is inspired by the real life of comedian, actor and New York Times best-selling author Jim Gaffigan, chronicling one man's struggle in New York City to find a balance between fatherhood, stand-up comedy and an insatiable appetite. Also starring in the series is Ashley Williams as Jim's off-beat Catholic wife, Jeannie; Adam Goldberg as Jim's aggressively single comedian friend, Dave; and Michael Ian Black as Daniel, Jeannie's gay ex-boyfriend and confidante, who is also Jim's biggest critic. Tongayi Chirisa co-stars, playing Jim and Jeannie's endearing priest, Father Nicholas. Throughout the season, there will also be special celebrity cameos by Chris Rock, Steve Buscemi, Rachel Maddow, Keith Olbermann, Lawrence O'Donnell, Joe Scarborough, Mika Brzezinski, Dave Attell, Hannibal Buress, Macaulay Culkin, Janeane Garofalo among others. The show is executive produced by writing team Jim and Jeannie Gaffigan.

PRINCIPAL CAST INFORMATION:
· Adam Goldberg as Dave Reedy
· Ashley Williams as Jeannie Gaffigan
· Jim Gaffigan as Jim Gaffigan
· Michael Ian Black as Daniel

CREW INFORMATION:
· Alex Murray as EP
· Jeannie Gaffigan as EP
· Jim Gaffigan as CRTR/EP
· Michael Wimer as EP
· Peter Tolan as CRTR/EP
· Sandy Wernick as EP
· Seth Gordon as DIR (Pilot)

<iframe width="560" height="315" src="https://www.youtube.com/embed/NXnKuP_6R9k" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen></iframe>
Premieres tonight, 7/15/15.

11 episode first season.
Old 07-15-15, 06:52 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 487 Likes on 286 Posts
Re: The Jim Gaffigan Show (TV Land) - Series Discussion Thread - premieres 7/15/15

I caught the preview first episode, and I thought it was pretty good. There was a predictable sitcom screw-up line, but the characters are entertaining. I have added a season pass for this.
Old 07-15-15, 04:24 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 15 Likes on 13 Posts
Re: The Jim Gaffigan Show (TV Land) - Series Discussion Thread - premieres 7/15/15

I am confused by the timeline, at least according to IMDB's data. They have the pilot episode airing tonight, but the one that was on YouTube is the 2nd episode, and they have earlier air dates for that one (June 2) and the 3rd episode (May 15th). They have no date for episode 4, and June 8th for episode 5.

So, WTF? Is IMDB just wrong about this or did some episodes already make it to air (or some other thing)?
Old 07-17-15, 08:18 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I thought this was just ok. I'm not familiar with Jim Gaffigan's comedy so maybe I'll need to warm up to it. I actually enjoyed Impastor quite a bit more.

5 kids and 2 adults in a 2-bedroom apartment?
Old 07-17-15, 09:22 AM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 312 Likes on 214 Posts

Originally Posted by Jadzia
5 kids and 2 adults in a 2-bedroom apartment?
I haven't seen the show yet, but that's how he and his family actually live, believe it or not:
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Jim_Ga...#Personal_life

He's talked about it on late night appearances and in his standup.
Old 07-17-15, 01:07 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 810 Likes on 684 Posts

It was okay. I like Gaffigan's brand of humor for the most part and this developed as I expected.
Old 07-17-15, 09:32 PM
DVD Talk Godfather

Received 913 Likes on 648 Posts

Yeah, I like Gaffigan but this was just okay. I'll keep tuning in though to see how it develops.
Old 07-22-15, 11:31 PM
DVD Talk Legend

This second episode was even worse. An episode about him eating cake?

I think I'm out on this one.
Old 07-23-15, 12:21 AM
DVD Talk Legend

I found other things to do when that episode aired. I only listened to it in the background. Maybe it's trying to be the new show about "nothing?" Because it was really about nothing.
Old 07-23-15, 02:01 AM
DVD Talk Ultimate Edition

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Should have been bacon.
Old 07-23-15, 06:27 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Really dig most of Gaffigan's standup, but the first episode was just awful. He's the dumb bumbling husband with the wife that is keeping everything together. I'll watch the second one, but this is hugely disappointing...
Old 07-23-15, 07:04 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Location: Formerly known as "orangecrush18" - still legal though

Originally Posted by movieking
He's the dumb bumbling husband with the wife that is keeping everything together.
I've heard him on a lot of podcasts and I get the impression that he might view his life as just that.
Old 07-23-15, 07:48 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 487 Likes on 286 Posts

Originally Posted by movieking
Really dig most of Gaffigan's standup, but the first episode was just awful. He's the dumb bumbling husband with the wife that is keeping everything together. I'll watch the second one, but this is hugely disappointing...
She has her own crazy. I have heard interviews with his real wife, and I wasn't a fan of her. I enjoy TV wife more.

However, in the first episode didn't she get into a fight on the street? Not so together.
Old 07-23-15, 12:14 PM

Received 10 Likes on 6 Posts

Guess I'm against the majority on this one. Really enjoying it. The Adam Goldberg character doesn't really seem to be working, but other than that, I think it's pretty good.
Old 07-23-15, 03:38 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 599 Likes on 432 Posts

I like the show but The Other Adam Goldberg seems forced.
Old 07-23-15, 03:49 PM
DVD Talk Legend

I must be weird because I think Adam Goldberg is the best part of the show.
Old 07-24-15, 12:27 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 312 Likes on 214 Posts

Finally caught the first two episodes on Spike yesterday. If these two episodes are any indication, I don't think the show will last long. It has some funny moments, but it's not has good as his standup. Maybe it will get better though.
Old 07-24-15, 01:21 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 810 Likes on 684 Posts

They are currently showing this on about a dozen different channels as some form of widespread promotion. I believe its actual home is TV Land.

The show is almost guaranteed to get renewed.
Old 07-25-15, 06:33 AM
Enormous Genitals

Location: a small cottage on a cul de sac in the lower pits of hell.
Received 583 Likes on 335 Posts

I must be weird because I think Adam Goldberg is the best part of the show.
Me too.

I just think this show needs to get its legs under it. I'm not sure I would have stuck with Seinfeld based on just the first couple of episodes.
Old 06-19-16, 08:40 AM

Received 4,579 Likes on 3,099 Posts

The Jim Gaffigan Show," will return for season two on (appropriately) Father's Day - Sunday, June 19th at 10:00pm ET/PT with two back-to-back episodes. The series is a fictionalized version of stand-up comedian Jim Gaffigan's real life as he navigates fatherhood, his career and an incurable obsession with food, and this season will get even more inside Jim's head, looking at all his neuroses about being in the ever-critical limelight and his marriage to wife Jeannie (Ashley Williams) and children. The comedy also stars Michael Ian Black ("Wet Hot American Summer") as Jeannie's friend, Daniel, who not-so-subtly dislikes Jim, and Adam Goldberg ("No Way Jose") as Jim's friend and fellow comedian, Dave. The show was co-created by Peter Tolan ("Rescue Me") and executive producer Jim Gaffigan, and is also executive produced by Jeannie Gaffigan. Alex Murray and Sandy Wernick of Brillstein Entertainment Partners also executive produce. JAX Media's Tony Hernandez will executive produce for TV Land. The season will have 12 episodes.
Old 06-19-16, 09:18 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 1,097 Likes on 794 Posts

I really enjoyed the first season and set the series record for the second.

I wonder if Gaffigan's higher public profile from commercials and being on Sunday nights will help the show gain an audience.

Except for the occasional rerun of Andy Griffith, this is the only thing I ever watch on TV Land, and if I had not seen Jim G. on Fallon to promote the premiere, I would not have known about it before today.
Old 06-19-16, 05:28 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 215 Likes on 190 Posts

I hadn't heard of the show until I read a positive review of the DVD set of the first season. Doing a search, I found five eps running on CMT, and enjoyed them. I would have figured TV Land would run the whole set at some point just before the upcoming season as a promotion, but they only ran the episodes I'd watched on CMT.
Old 06-26-16, 07:41 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 599 Likes on 432 Posts

Still don't like Goldberg
Old 07-19-16, 07:44 AM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 215 Likes on 190 Posts

The second season seems to be going in a more "conceptual" direction, -a little less real and a little more about bigger ideas. The cameos from big names and familiar faces from the stand-up circuit are more prominent. It definitely gives the show a more individual identity, but I find myself a little less attached to the show. It might be losing something by being a little too self-aware.

I've really disliked this three-part storyline they're currently in the middle of. Way too much Adam Goldberg, Ashley Williams as "Jeanie" is way too cartoonish, and way too much of Gaffigan being beaten down.

I'm glad they've added these two-three minute "After Show" spots with Jim and his wife (who write all the episodes); it gives some insight into what they're up to with episode, though Jim sort comes off as rather subdued and Jeanie confirms that Ashley Williams is pretty much spot-on in her portrayal.

Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.