Go Back  DVD Talk Forum > Entertainment Discussions > Movie Talk
Reload this Page >

Christopher Lee dead at 93

Community
Search
Movie Talk A Discussion area for everything movie related including films In The Theaters

Search this Thread

Old 06-11-15, 06:58 AM
Banned by request

Received 778 Likes on 582 Posts

Breaking news from USA Today.

British actor Christopher Lee has died at the age of 93, according to media reports.

Lee, who starred in films including the Lord of the Rings, Star Wars and Dracula, passed away in Chelsea and Westminster Hospital in London, on Sunday after being treated for respiratory problems, the Independent reported.

Lee rose to fame playing Dracula and Frankenstein in a series of Hammer Horror films from the 1950s to the 1970s.

Dammit. :-( But damn he hung in there. He rocked it all the way to his grave.

Old 06-11-15, 07:09 AM
Challenge Guru & Comic Nerd

Received 680 Likes on 456 Posts
Re: Christopher Lee dead at 93

Crap. He was awesome.
Old 06-11-15, 07:14 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 15 Likes on 13 Posts

I figured this one has been coming for a while.
Old 06-11-15, 07:21 AM

Received 4,584 Likes on 3,103 Posts

The guy worked for practically 70 years, until he died. A true artist. RIP.
Old 06-11-15, 07:26 AM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 59 Likes on 48 Posts

The guy was a legend and his personal life was probably even more legendary. Actor, war hero, royal descendent. He will be very much missed.
Old 06-11-15, 07:26 AM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 1,022 Likes on 812 Posts

Yeah, some people are ready to go before they hit 20, Lee could have gone on for another hundred years, sad.
Old 06-11-15, 07:30 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 724 Likes on 590 Posts

He was awesome. RIP.

He was a metal fan too? What bands did he like?
Old 06-11-15, 07:33 AM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 1,022 Likes on 812 Posts

"Lee's first contact with heavy metal music by singing a duet with Fabio Lione, the lead vocalist of the Italian symphonic power metal band Rhapsody of Fire, on the single "The Magic of the Wizard's Dream" from the Symphony of Enchanted Lands II album. Later he appeared as a narrator on the band's four albums Symphony of Enchanted Lands II – The Dark Secret, Triumph or Agony, The Frozen Tears of Angels and From Chaos to Eternity as well as on the EP The Cold Embrace of Fear – A Dark Romantic Symphony, portraying the Wizard King. He also worked with Manowar while they were recording a new version of their first album, Battle Hymns. The original voice was done by Orson Welles (who was long dead at the time of the re-recording).[117] The new album, Battle Hymns MMXI, was released on 26 November 2010.

In 2006, he bridged two disparate genres of music by performing a heavy metal variation of the Toreador Song from the opera Carmen with the band Inner Terrestrials. The song was featured on his album Revelation in 2007.[118] The same year, he produced a music video for his cover version of the song "My Way".[119]"

Man he was a late in life metal fan
Old 06-11-15, 07:35 AM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I have no words. The man was a legend.

I'm copying this post from elsewhere on the internet:
- Served in special forces in WW2
- Was cousin to Ian Fleming by marriage, and was possibly the person Fleming based his sketch of James Bond on
- Was as big a LOTR fan as there can be, and met Tolkien himself. His big ambition was to play Gandalf.
- Was Dracula, Saruman, Count Dooku, one of the greatest Bond villains, Lord Summerisle, and numerous other famous roles
- Made hundreds of films over a 70 year career, continued acting until his death.
- Did almost all his own stunts, did more on-screen sword fighting than any other actor and was an accomplished fencer
- Spoke 7 languages
- Was a talented singer
- Made several metal albums while in his 90s
- Knighted in 2009
- Direct descendant of Charlemagne (while his descendants are all over Europe, Lee traced his lineage directly back to the man himself)
- Married to the same woman since the early 1960s
My favorite Lee story is that when preparing for the scene in LOTR where Saruman gets stabbed in the back, Peter Jackson attempted to coach him on what sort of sound he should make. Lee assured Jackson that he knew what a man being stabbed in the back sounds like.
Old 06-11-15, 07:35 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 15 Likes on 13 Posts

Good write up on his career/life.

Spoiler:
By Mike Barnes, Duane Byrge

Christopher Lee, the mystical British actor whose haunting, intimidating performances as Count Dracula, the Frankenstein monster and Fu Manchu made him an icon of horror films and the cinematic embodiment of villainy, has died. He was 93.

Lee, who as bad guy Scaramanga battled Roger Moore’s James Bond in The Man With the Golden Gun (1974) and re-ignited his career in his late 70s with what would be recurring roles in the Lord of the Rings, Hobbit and Star Wars franchises, has died. He was 93.

According to media reports, Lee died on Sunday morning, June 7 at Westminster Hospital in London after being admitted for respiratory problems and heart failure. The Guardian reported that his wife, former Danish model and painter Gitte Kroencke, decided to release the news days later in order to inform family members first. The couple had been married since 1961

Incredibly, the London native had more than 275 credits on IMDb, making him perhaps the most prolific feature-film actor in history. He did many of his own stunts, likely appeared in more on-screen sword fights than anyone else and was the only member of the Lord of the Rings cast to have actually met author J.R.R. Tolkien, who was born in 1892.

With his gaunt 6-foot-5 frame and deep, strong voice, Lee was best at playing characters — slave traders, crazed kings, vampires, demented professors — who were evil, murderous, dour and unrepentantly ruthless.

Starting with The Curse of Frankenstein (1957) and Horror of Dracula (1958), Lee, like a mad scientist, helped Hammer Films bring the genre of horror back to life. He played the bloodsucking and brooding Prince of Darkness 10 times but disliked being known as a “horror legend.”

Lee was menacing in the title role of The Mummy (1959) and, that same year, starred as the new owner of Baskerville Hall in the remake of The Hound of the Baskervilles, starring his best friend, Peter Cushing, as Sherlock Holmes. The suave and courtly Cushing was his castmate in Curse of Frankenstein and Horror of Dracula as well.

He appeared three times as Holmes on screen, most recently in the 1991 telefilm Incident at Victoria Falls, and starred as the detective’s brother Mycroft in Billy Wilder’s The Private Life of Sherlock Holmes (1970).

Lee also was Rasputin and Lucifer, and his characters executed King Charles I of England and Louis the XVI of France. He relished the evil roles: “As Boris Karloff [his Corridors of Blood co-star] told me, you have to make your mark in something other actors cannot, or will not, do. And if it’s a success, you’ll not be forgotten.”

His 1977 autobiography was titled Tall, Dark and Gruesome.

Lee played Rochefort of Three Musketeers fame three times and was Sax Rohmer’s Asian evil genius with that distinctive mustache in five films of the 1960s, starting with The Face of Fu Manchu (1965).

Ian Fleming, the creator of Bond, was his cousin and frequent golf companion. The author wanted Lee to play the title villain in the 007 film Dr. No (1962), but the job went to Joseph Wiseman. For Bond fans, it was worth the wait after seeing his turn as the wealthy assassin who employs only bullets made of gold in The Man With the Golden Gun.

Lee’s considerable body of film work also included Captain Horatio Hornblower (1951), The Wicker Man (1973), To the Devil a Daughter (1976), The Passage (1979), House of the Long Shadows (1983), Gremlins 2: The New Batch (1990), The Golden Compass (2007), The Resident (2011), Hugo (2011) and four films with director/fan Tim Burton: Sleepy Hollow (1999), Charlie and the Chocolate Factory (2005), Sweeney Todd: The Demon Barber of Fleet Street (2007) and Dark Shadows (2012).

Lee, who was knighted in 2009, appeared as Saruman in Peter Jackson’s Lord of the Rings trilogy and in the director’s two Hobbit films, including The Battle of Five Armies (2014). And he was Count Dooku in the Star Wars installments Attack of the Clones (2002), Revenge of the Sith (2005) and The Clone Wars (2008).

“This last decade has been the most extraordinary decade of my life,” he said in a 2012 interview.

Christopher Frank Carandini Lee was born on May 27, 1922 (American horror legend Vincent Price was born on the same date 11 years earlier), and attended exclusive prep schools. He went to Eton College and Wellington College and studied Greek and Latin.

During World War II, Lee served in the Royal Air Force and Special Forces and spent one year in a hellacious winter campaign in Finland. He was said to be a spy but never wanted to talk about it, honoring an oath of secrecy.

“When the Second World War finished I was 23 and already I had seen enough horror to last me a lifetime,” he told the Telegraph in 2011. “I’d seen dreadful, dreadful things, without saying a word. So seeing horror depicted on film doesn’t affect me much.”

Lee was decorated for distinguished service, and after his discharge, he took the advice of his uncle, the Italian ambassador in London, and tried his hand in the film business, landing a contract with the Rank Organisation.

The Curse of Frankenstein — a box-office hit and the first film to feature Mary Shelley’s disfigured creature in color — was a big break for him. Lee likely landed the gig because he was so tall.

Wilder told him he needed to come to America to further his career, and he took that advice and made Airport ’77, in which his character died under water and he almost drowned.

He said the film that made him the most proud was Jinnah (1998), in which he played the founder of Pakistan.

Despite his serious demeanor, Lee liked to showcase his offbeat, self-deprecating wit. He hosted Saturday Night Live in 1978, and his show (with musical guest Meat Loaf) reached 35 million viewers, one of its most-watched installments.

“As you may know, I first came to public attention as a result of my appearances in certain rather eerie and even macabre films,” he said during the SNL opening. “You may be surprised to know that I haven’t made one in several years.

“This is because I have a great deal of respect for this kind of film, and I don’t think that very good ones are being produced anymore. Week after week, I find myself receiving scripts like The Creature From the Black Studies Program … and Frankenstein Snubs The Wolf Man … and of course, Dr. Terror’s House of Pancakes.”

Later, he played a Russian commandant for laughs in Police Academy: Mission to Moscow (1994).

An expert fencer and honorary member of three stuntmen unions, Lee also knew how to handle a golf club. He was the first actor to be accepted into The Honourable Company of Edinburgh Golfers. How good was he? He thought he had enough cred to offer advice to Tiger Woods on how to play The Masters.

Music was important to him. He appeared in operas, sang “Name Your Poison” in The Return of Captain Invincible (1983) opposite Alan Arkin and was among the pack of “convicts” on the cover of Paul McCartney & Wings’ 1973 album Band on the Run.

In 2010, Lee recorded a symphonic heavy metal concept album, Charlemagne: By the Sword and the Cross (he said he was related to the emperor on his mother’s side). Three years later, he released a follow-up that had Tony Iommi of Black Sabbath on guitar.

“People never thought I would be a heavy metal performer. Well, I am,” he said in the 2012 interview.

Sure, he never was nominated for an Oscar, but he has a Metal Hammer Golden God Award.

Survivors include his wife, former Danish model and painter Gitte Kroencke, whom he married in 1961, and their daughter Christina.

Lee, who had a library of 12,000 books on the occult, admitted to being fascinated by the nature of evil during a 2003 interview with the Guardian.

“ ‘Good’ people … being persistently noble can become rather uninteresting,” he said. “There is a dark side in all of us. And for us ‘bad’ people, the bad side dominates. I think there is a great sadness in villains, and I have tried to put that across. We cannot stop ourselves doing what we are doing.”
Old 06-11-15, 07:36 AM
DVD Talk Ultimate Edition

Received 223 Likes on 148 Posts

One of the all-time greats.

RIP

Old 06-11-15, 07:40 AM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 120 Likes on 108 Posts

Super sad day hearing this. His "Horror" movies from the 60's & 70's are classis along working with Peter Cushing. I knew he was up there but 93 and still going...a true performer till the end...be solely missed. Thank you Lee....

Note...That's one of the best if not the best picture of the Horror Legends I've seen...great shot.
Old 06-11-15, 07:46 AM
DVD Talk Godfather

Received 182 Likes on 120 Posts

RIP Francisco Scaramanga
Old 06-11-15, 08:11 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Location: Formerly known as Groucho AND Bandoman/Death Moans, Iowa
Received 372 Likes on 266 Posts

No. Shut up. No, I don't believe you. No, no, no, no, no.
Old 06-11-15, 08:11 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 173 Likes on 121 Posts

Concealed within his fortress, the lord of Mordor sees all. His gaze pierces cloud, shadow, earth, and flesh. You know of what I speak, Gandalf:  a great Eye, lidless, wreathed in flame.
Truly he gave the words of Tolkien life in the Lord of the Rings movies. A great, long life for a man that did it all.

"The thing I have always tried to do is surprise people:  to present them with something they didn't expect."

Rest in peace Chris Lee.
Old 06-11-15, 08:39 AM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Received 4 Likes on 2 Posts

according to some reports, he died on Sunday the 7th.

Made it to 93 and he definitely lived life to the fullest. Truly one of a kind and will be missed.
Old 06-11-15, 08:50 AM

Received 4,584 Likes on 3,103 Posts

Old 06-11-15, 08:52 AM
Banned

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

JUST heard this on the radio as I was getting home. I was wondering when he was going to go cuz it was going to happen pretty damn soon based on his requirements.
Old 06-11-15, 08:59 AM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts
Well, that's a hell of a thing to wake up to when my vacation is almost over . He'll be missed. Rest in peace.
Old 06-11-15, 09:04 AM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

So many good movies he was in, especially the Hammer Horror stuff. RIP.
Old 06-11-15, 09:15 AM
DVD Talk Godfather

Received 182 Likes on 120 Posts

One of his best IMO :

Old 06-11-15, 09:43 AM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

RIP Christopher Lee.
Old 06-11-15, 09:44 AM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 1,302 Likes on 946 Posts

My love for horror started at an early age thanks for Universal Monsters and Hammer films. I can't think of another actor I have seen actively in movies pretty much my whole life.

RIP
Old 06-11-15, 09:49 AM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 236 Likes on 169 Posts

Very soon he would rise from the grave and start sucking people's blood.

RIP Christopher Lee.
Old 06-11-15, 10:04 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 1,081 Likes on 656 Posts

A lot of people toss the word "legend" around nowadays but Lee truly was one. He had a truly remarkable life.

Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.