Go Back  DVD Talk Forum > Entertainment Discussions > TV Talk
Reload this Page >

Major Crimes (The Closer Spinoff) -- Series Discussion Thread -- (TNT)

TV Talk Talk about Shows on TV

Old 05-18-11, 11:56 AM
DVD Talk God

Received 3,550 Likes on 2,542 Posts

This year marks the beginning of production of the final season of the blockbuster hit The Closer, starring Emmy® winner Kyra Sedgwick. TNT confirmed today that it has ordered a 10-episode season of Major Crimes, a series set in the Los Angeles Police Department that promises to become television’s next great crime drama. The seventh and final season of The Closer will include 15 episodes in 2011 and six in summer 2012, leading into the launch of Major Crimes, starring Mary McDonnell (Battlestar Galactica). McDonnell has been featured on The Closer as Capt. Raydor, who was often on a collision course with Deputy Police Chief Brenda Leigh Johnson, played by Sedgwick. Major Crimes will be executive-produced by James Duff, creator of The Closer, along with Greer Shephard and Michael M. Robin. Major Crimes and The Closer come to TNT from Warner Bros. Television.
http://www.deadline.com/2011/05/tnt-...opment-slates/

I know there is a few fans of The Closer here and most you probably know that this coming season will be it's last. Although it's being extended until next Summer. Mary McDonnell is an interesting replacement for Kyra. I wonder if that means Brenda and Fritz are going to leave LA and Captain Raydor will take over her department. I also wonder if they will keep The Closer's supporting cast to work with McDonnell.
Old 05-18-11, 12:32 PM
DVD Talk Ultimate Edition

Received 16 Likes on 14 Posts
Re: TNT ordered The Closer spinoff "Major Crimes" for 2012

I liked McDonnell for the most part on BG, but I did not care for her on the Closer, so i'll probably pass.
I do like the rest of the crew though, so bummer.
Old 05-18-11, 12:37 PM
DVD Talk God

If they keep Flynn, Gabriel, Provenza and maybe even Sanchez, The Closer fans will continue to watch. I don't care about Pope, he's dead weight. Captain Raydor IMO worked as an opponent to Brenda and it will be interesting to see how she works with Brenda's team, if they keep them.
Old 05-18-11, 01:25 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by DJariya
I wonder if that means Brenda and Fritz are going to leave LA and Captain Raydor will take over her department. I also wonder if they will keep The Closer's supporting cast to work with McDonnell.
I will watch if what you suspect is what it really ends up being.

It really sucks that TNT is going to draaaaaaag out the final episodes ofThe Closer though.
Old 05-18-11, 01:29 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Will give it a shot. Love the supporting cast of The Closer. Gonna miss Sedgwick though.
Old 08-13-12, 06:48 PM
DVD Talk God

Major Crimes -- Series Premiere (The Closer Spinoff) -- "Reloaded" -- 8/13/12

Image Hosted by ImageShack.us

Synopsis:

Spoiler:
Capt. Sharon Raydor (Mary McDonnell) is promoted to lead the L.A.P.D.'s Major Crimes division in this spin-off from "The Closer," featuring characters from that series. In the premiere, the newly appointed Raydor investigates a string of store robberies that turns fatal. Meanwhile, an undercover detective proves her worth and is transferred into the division; and Raydor tries to protect Rusty.

10 episodes ordered

Most of The Closer cast members are returning.

Promo:

<iframe width="560" height="315" src="http://www.youtube.com/embed/zaBs1yY4LhY" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen></iframe>
Old 08-14-12, 05:32 AM
DVD Talk God

Re: Major Crimes -- Series Premiere (The Closer Spinoff) -- "Reloaded" -- 8/13/12

Watched about 20 minutes. Will finish the rest tomorrow. I had an exhaustive The Closer marathon finishing up the series and got really tired trying to tack on Major Crimes at 3:00am.

Anyways, interesting start and transition to this new series.

Sucks that Provenza got screwed over by Taylor with Raydor being promoted and taking over.

It looks like Asst Chief Taylor will be recurring along with possibly Fritz. No mention of Pope yet in the 20 minutes I saw.

One nit pick though.....why did they have to bring back that fucking annoying kid from The Closer finale? It looks like he's a regular on this show.
Old 08-14-12, 09:46 AM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 142 Likes on 97 Posts
Re: Major Crimes -- Series Premiere (The Closer Spinoff) -- "Reloaded" -- 8/13/12

I could live without the kid but otherwise the premiere was interesting. The writers found a new direction to take the show - focusing on deals rather than confessions. We have the same grouchy Provenza who was awesome. I'm happy the writers walked the line between Taylor doing his job but not turning him into the jerk he was in the first couple seasons of The Closer.

I'm also psyched that they brought another woman onto the show. I've missed Daniels and I loved Raynor's rationale for bringing her aboard.
Old 08-15-12, 02:41 PM
Enormous Genitals

Location: a small cottage on a cul de sac in the lower pits of hell.
Received 575 Likes on 334 Posts

Not a bad start, it will take some time to get used to the new direction. I think they did a very good job making the script reflect the viewer's likely transitional discomfort with a new focus for familiar characters.
Old 08-15-12, 03:47 PM

If that kid is a permanent cast member (as the photo suggests) I'm dumping this show. Children are stupid additions to cop shows.

I believe TNT will find that they will lose far more male viewers due to the cast changes than they will ever recover in the female viewers they're obviously pandering to.
Old 08-19-12, 01:23 PM
DVD Talk God

Was busy most of last week, but finally finished up the 1st episode last night.

Despite the annoying kid from The Closer finale, it wasn't a bad start. It's good that we having a bunch of The Closer cast members move into this show brings some familiarity to the audience. I look at this as being more of a continuation of The Closer than an actual brand new show. The case of the week was interesting and I liked how it was resolved in the end. Loved Sanchez's demonstration that blew apart the Cop's sons "explanation."

Should be interesting how Major Crimes handles the new leadership and direction under Asst. Chief Taylor. I think it does make sense to aim for deals 1st and save the money and aggravation going through a long and drawn out trial. I thought Raydor was fine stepping in for Brenda.

at Fritz collecting Brenda's junk food drawer.

Loved how grouchy Provenza was and how he already hates Raydor and Sykes. But, I agree it's good that they added a new young female cast member to balance it out.
Old 08-20-12, 02:58 PM
DVD Talk God

Major Crimes -- "Before and After" -- 8/20/12

Synopsis:

Spoiler:
As Raydor works to gain respect in the division, the Major Crimes crew works to crack the case of a brutal and complicated homicide. Meanwhile, Raydor tries to supervise Rusty; and Provenza struggles to accept all the changes in the department.

Episode 2 of 10
Old 08-21-12, 02:29 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 142 Likes on 97 Posts
Re: Major Crimes -- "Before and After" -- 8/20/12

It's interesting, I can see Provenza's POV but I can also see Taylor's. Rusty has got to go and our nice new female member of the cast has to grow a pair and find her own voice.
Old 08-22-12, 11:51 AM

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by lisadoris
It's interesting, I can see Provenza's POV but I can also see Taylor's. Rusty has got to go and our nice new female member of the cast has to grow a pair and find her own voice.
I agree re: Rusty and the "new Gal." I am not sure yet as to whether I like the negotiate a sentence to save cost methodology yet ...
Old 08-22-12, 02:22 PM

Who's the black guy standing behind Tao in that picture? I haven't seen him in the show yet.
Old 08-22-12, 02:34 PM

I think he is a coroner or coroner's assistant that get the bodies in the field.. he was on the closer as well
Old 08-22-12, 02:51 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

So they just swapped out Kira Sedgewick for Mary O'Donnell and kept the same cast as The Closer for this show?
Old 08-22-12, 03:31 PM
DVD Talk God

Originally Posted by Patman
So they just swapped out Kira Sedgewick for Mary O'Donnell and kept the same cast as The Closer for this show?
Also Corey Reynolds (Gabriel) and JK Simmons (Pope) left the show as well, but they still exist in this Universe.
Old 08-23-12, 09:35 AM

Adding teenage angst to a show is never good and the Sykes character is just plain annoying. I also don't like the plea bargaining aspect. I realize they are trying to distinguish this show from the Closer, but so far it hasn't grabbed me. I'll stick with it for a while but I hope things start to gel a little better.
Old 08-23-12, 09:04 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by TBC
Who's the black guy standing behind Tao in that picture? I haven't seen him in the show yet.
On The Closer he was always at the crime scence telling them the time of death and what he thought was the initial cause. I guess whe works for the Coroner's office but not sure what that title would be
Old 09-03-12, 02:12 PM
DVD Talk God

Major Crimes -- "The Ecstasy and the Agony" -- 9/03/12

Synopsis:

Spoiler:
The unit joins forces with the FBI when a homicide case spins around the Israeli mob and an "intuitive life strategist." Elsewhere, Provenza displays his vulnerable side, and Rusty's first school day takes an unexpected turn.

Guest starring: Michael Weatherly (NCIS)

Episode 4 of 10

So far, it's an okay replacement for The Closer. Raydor doesn't have the same kind of spunk and charm that Brenda has, but it's a different show. I am glad they kept most of the original supporting cast though.

One major nitpick though, why the hell does this show need Rusty? Why couldn't his story have ended in The Closer finale and it's annoying they are making Raydor some kind of surrogate mother for him.
Old 09-10-12, 09:15 PM
DVD Talk God

Major Crimes (The Closer Spinoff) -- Mondays (TNT)

Tonight is episode 5 of 10

"Citizens Arrest"

When a kidnapping turns deadly, the squad scrambles to crack the case and turns to a district attorney for help. Meanwhile, DNA evidence shows that Rusty has connections to the justice system.

This show doesn't get much discussion (Mainly because of it being a procedural), with the Fall shows premiering on the major networks, I guess I will do 1 thread for the rest of the season in case there is anything interesting to talk about.
Old 09-10-12, 09:23 PM

Received 22 Likes on 12 Posts
re: Major Crimes (The Closer Spinoff) -- Season 1 Thread -- Mondays (TNT)

Good episode. I think there was more action in this one then the Closer ever had.
Old 09-10-12, 10:17 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Best episode of the season so far. Always like when Julio gets mean.
Old 09-11-12, 02:11 AM
DVD Talk God

Angry Detective Sanchez is always a plus.

Agree. Fun episode tonight.

Search this Thread

Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.