Search
TV Talk Talk about Shows on TV

The Profit (CNBC) - Series Thread

Search this Thread

Old 06-04-15, 12:09 AM

Received 515 Likes on 371 Posts
The Profit (CNBC) - Series Thread

Official Site - http://www.cnbcprime.com/the-profit/
Wikipedia - http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/The_Profit_(TV_series)
Streaming Episodes - http://www.hulu.com/the-profit

----------------------------

Anyone else watching this show? It's usually paired with a couple Shark Tank reruns on CNBC. And if you like Shark Tank, you'll probably enjoy this show too.

In the latest episode (Standard Burger), he revamped a basic fast food burger joint. I think he made some smart changes. The redesign looked great. But I can't get my head around the prices. Here's the new menu:

http://www.standardburgers.com/pages/menu

$7-$14 for a Burger, $4 for Fries, and $5-$6 for a Shake. That's around $20 per person after taxes. Is it just me, or are those prices insane?
Old 06-04-15, 01:06 AM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 9 Likes on 7 Posts
Re: The Profit (CNBC) - Series Thread

I've watched the odd episode or two. Find it actually quite interesting. Does he always have confrontations with the random person who doesn't agree with his plans? I saw the one where he was revamping Amazing Grapes wine store in California, and that BBQ joint in North Carolina.
Old 06-04-15, 04:08 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 217 Likes on 192 Posts

I've got a bunch of these on my DVR to catch up with this summer. I've watched about half of the first season and quite enjoyed it. Lemonis's deal is that he'll bail out your failing business with an investment of his own money (ala "Shark Tank") but he gets a controlling interest (or at least control of the finances). During the course of the filming he makes big changes which usually rubs the owner(s) the wrong way, which breeds confrontations. What I find interesting is that not every episode has a happy ending, -episodes have ended with the owner backing out of the deal, and, in one case, Lemonis had to take legal action against the owner.
Old 06-04-15, 04:39 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 70 Likes on 59 Posts

Yeah, this is one of my favorite take over and rehab the business shows.
Lemonis really seems to want to turn around failing businesses and keep people employed and also make money. But it is shocking to hear the updates on some of the deals he has made or not made. He invests money into the business and takes temporary control. If he helps them turn around the business, they agree to the partnership and he continues to own part interest in the business. Some business like
Spoiler:
the sports novelty bat company come back to him and continues to ask him for additional money to fund their operations. Others like Sweet Pete's candy seems to be doing very well.

If the owners/Lemonis back out like
Spoiler:
Stein meats or the Artistic stitches
, then I guess Lemonis tries to sue and get his money back. Some of the business take his money and pay off loans/debts or buys equipment. How can he get that money back if many of the businesses are failing/in trouble? Seems like he is in a very risky business personally.
Old 06-04-15, 09:25 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 812 Likes on 686 Posts

Sounds interesting but I imagine it gets quite formulaic after a few episodes.
Old 02-04-16, 07:34 PM

Received 515 Likes on 371 Posts

Anyone catch the recent episode on 240Sweets? The owners are getting torn apart online.

http://www.yelp.com/biz/240sweet-art...reats-columbus

You could start to tell things were going to go bad when Sweet Pete showed up and tried to help them out. That whole scene was really uncomfortable.
Old 02-04-16, 07:42 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 350 Likes on 269 Posts

I recently started watching this show, which I just happened upon by over-recording a Shark Tank episode. Great lessons and knowledge from this show.

I saw the 240Sweets episode. That one lady is CRAZY!

I also saw the Farmgirl Flowers episode. While the owner thought she couldn't get investors because she was a woman, it's more likely because her max offer was 5% equity (5% max to other investors, while Marcus got the 10% max offer, just because of his reputation). As the Shark Tank investors say, they don't get out of bed for a measly 5%.

Last edited by MLBFan24; 02-04-16 at 08:48 PM.