Go Back  DVD Talk Forum > Entertainment Discussions > TV Talk
Reload this Page >

SYTYCD / So You Think You Can Dance -- Season 12 "Stage vs. Street" (Starts 06/01/15)

Community
Search
TV Talk Talk about Shows on TV

SYTYCD / So You Think You Can Dance -- Season 12 "Stage vs. Street" (Starts 06/01/15)

Search this Thread

Old 06-03-15, 07:36 AM

Received 808 Likes on 525 Posts

'So You Think You Can Dance' premiere pits breakdancers against ballerinas, Paula Abdul against abs
By Hoai-Tran Bui June 2, 2015

Welcome back, So You Think You Can Dance! That sweet, summertime reality show where you can watch other, more talented people sweat while you lounge in your air-conditioned living rooms.

This season saw a big change with the departure of judge Mary Murphy (R.I.P. the Hot Tamale Train) and the curious addition of Jason Derulo and Paula Abdul as permanent judges next to show creator Nigel Lythgoe. And if that wasn’t enough of a shake-up, the show tossed in one more big one: stage dancer versus street dancer teams.

Paula Abdul brought her frustrating positivity from her time on American Idol, only now she’s honed down her critiques to generic responses like “you are a unique person,” or “you’re a star.” I swear, you could’ve made a drinking game out of all the times she said “you’re a very special person.”

Jason Derulo is similarly dependent on soundbites, though he has a tendency of just looking uncomfortable instead of shutting people down. Meanwhile, Nigel is still the only one who seems to say anything of substance.

There won’t be a rotating panel of judges this year, so hopefully we get a little more from these judges than just Paula ogling shirtless abs or Jason Derulo breaking into an impromptu performance of his own song surrounded by tiny dancing kids (though I have to admit, that was the most adorable part of the night).
This season airs on Monday evenings 8/7c.

Team Stage will be mentored by Travis Wall while Team Street will the under the tutelage of Steven "Twitch" Boss.

I'm always a fan and will be watching.
Old 06-03-15, 09:28 AM
DVD Talk Platinum Edition

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Re: SYTYCD / So You Think You Can Dance -- Season 12 "Stage vs. Street" (Starts 06/01

Excited to see more Travis and Twitch, but I'm not a fan of the Street vs. Stage set up.

Surprised about how coherent Paula actually sounded, but she is pretty boring. I miss Mary and her Hot Tamale Train.

I hope these changes don't have this show Jump the Shark. I love that dancers are featured, and I go to the tour every year and it's an amazing show. Don't fail me now, SYTYCD!
Old 07-07-15, 09:56 PM

Re: SYTYCD / So You Think You Can Dance -- Season 12 "Stage vs. Street" (Starts 06/01

Top 10 Street and Top 10 Stage were announced tonight... and the cliffhanger that there's already been one injury, so an alternate will get a second chance next week.

Live shows start July 13th!
Old 07-08-15, 08:06 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Looking forward to the live competition shows. These last few weeks in Vegas have been kind of dull. I'm usually good for the first hour, but by the second hour I find it hard to pay attention. I think 2 hours is too long for the non audition or competition episodes.
Old 07-08-15, 10:12 AM

I thought it was quite selfish of Denys to drop out of the last round... and they finally copped to the fact that he'd already won SYTYCD Canada a few seasons ago (the Twittersphere was all over Nigel as to why no one on the show had mentioned it yet). I was disappointed, I liked his dancing.

Methinks a Team Street member had the injury and "Standing O" will be back.

... and with the judges asking folks to comeback next year, I sure hope that's true. SYTYCD is a summer staple in this family (and in no wise should end just because Idol is).
Old 07-10-15, 11:03 AM
DRG
DVD Talk Legend

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

I'm still curious exactly how this Stage vs Street thing will work. Are Street dancers only going to be paired with Street dancers, and Stage with Stage? Will Street only be doing Street routines? If so for either, this is going to dull one of my favorite things about the show which is watching dancers work out of their comfort zones and seeing 'odd couple' pairs have amazing chemistry together (Amy and Fik-Shun, for instance).
Old 07-10-15, 05:45 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 215 Likes on 190 Posts

Originally Posted by DRG
I'm still curious exactly how this Stage vs Street thing will work. Are Street dancers only going to be paired with Street dancers, and Stage with Stage? Will Street only be doing Street routines? If so for either, this is going to dull one of my favorite things about the show which is watching dancers work out of their comfort zones and seeing 'odd couple' pairs have amazing chemistry together (Amy and Fik-Shun, for instance).
I've been wondering the same thing, but they have said that everyone will work in all styles of dance, -which I guess means that Street will do Stage and vice versa. It would make the most sense for a Street/Stage pair-up so that at least one member knows what they're doing.
Old 07-10-15, 07:55 PM

Originally Posted by DRG
Originally Posted by DWilson
I've been wondering the same thing, but they have said that everyone will work in all styles of dance, -which I guess means that Street will do Stage and vice versa. It would make the most sense for a Street/Stage pair-up so that at least one member knows what they're doing.
I'll be interested to see how this pans out too. It's got my interest.

We'll have to wait until Monday.
Old 07-10-15, 10:10 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Originally Posted by DRG
I thought it would work like previous years, but instead of one guy and one girl going home ever week, it would be one stage and one street going home.

But I could be wrong. I just seem to recall they explained it as Stage/Street instead of gender this year.
Old 07-10-15, 11:31 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Originally Posted by Jadzia
I thought it would work like previous years, but instead of one guy and one girl going home ever week, it would be one stage and one street going home.

But I could be wrong. I just seem to recall they explained it as Stage/Street instead of gender this year.
That is how it's going to work, -one street, one stage exit each week, -but they will still be dancing in pairs as far as I know. They also haven't mentioned "All-Stars" participating in the second half of the season yet.
Old 07-13-15, 09:19 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Oh, this season is awful. They are making them dance in groups?! And some of the groups have like 4 people, some have 3, and a few lucky bastards get to dance in pairs.

It's a good thing I never bother to vote, because I would have absolutely no idea who these people are that I am supposed to vote for. Do they really think people know all these people's names yet? This competition does not seem well thought out at all, especially since some people are in bigger groups and have less of a spotlight on them.
Old 07-13-15, 11:04 PM

They've done this before. We just get to know who they are by having them dancing groups within their own style. The voting usually doesn't happen until the next week.

We missed tonight's episode but will catch it tomorrow.

I agree, it takes me a few weeks to know their names. Especially the ones who did not get a lot of screen time during the audition phase and Vegas Week.
Old 07-14-15, 08:36 AM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 33 Likes on 26 Posts

Originally Posted by Goldberg74
They've done this before. We just get to know who they are by having them dancing groups within their own style. The voting usually doesn't happen until the next week.

We missed tonight's episode but will catch it tomorrow.

I agree, it takes me a few weeks to know their names. Especially the ones who did not get a lot of screen time during the audition phase and Vegas Week.
I'm always amazed how many Top 20 they didn't do vignettes on during the tryouts. Here we are with the Top 20 and I recognize maybe 4-5 of them. Who are these people?!

My vote right now goes to JaJa (street) and Ariana (street, though her routine sucked last night), and Gabby (stage/tapper) and Jim (stage/ballet). Maybe Virgil, too (street). I like Burim and Asaf, but I don't see them getting far. All the rest, other than the long-haired redhead were new to me. :P

Sounds like they're going back to the old rules starting next week where routines are mixed up, etc, but instead of a boy and girl going home each week it's a stage and street.
Old 07-16-15, 10:01 AM
DRG
DVD Talk Legend

I've been a fan of JaJa since she was on America's Best Dance Crew a few years ago. She has a lot of experience with choreography which should serve her well.

Yorelis is sort of a ringer for Team Street because she actually tried out last year as a stage dancer, so she should be able to adapt to other styles more quickly than some of the other Street dancers.
Old 07-16-15, 04:55 PM
Suspended; also need updated email

Received 14 Likes on 13 Posts

Yeah it's an interesting concept for this series

I think it's going to be less of a competition than a season long dancing demonstration

What this setup does mean is that dancers will be mostly dancing in styles they are comfortable with but choreographed by professionals which means the overall quality of performance will be higher

E.g. the two ballet boys, no non ballet dancer could handle that routine

No dumbing down contemporary routines for Bboys and getting gushy when they do a somewhat half decent job (e.g. Hok and that poxy fairy dance)
Old 07-21-15, 08:46 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Well, now I guess we know how this will play out: it seems like there will be random pairs or groups with no set "partner" relationship. I don't know if I care for that, -I find it more fun to follow a specific pair (or several pairs) as they face a bunch of different challenges over the weeks. It makes it easier to get to know the individual contestants.
On the other hand, I was a bit disappointed with the Anniversary special, since there was a lot of clip "packages" that sort of dealt with peripheral stuff (wacky contestants, dance styles) and very little about the favorite dancers and routines , which is what fans really want to see.
Old 07-22-15, 08:05 AM

This season is not working for me. I usually have an attachment to a dancer by now, but I do not. I've watched from Season 1 and have been to most of the tours. I'm not inspired this year. I don't like that they are dancing in group numbers for their routines, since I cant seem to focus on any one dancer. I am glad that they aren't doing the same coupling through the season, since I feel Valerie got carried to the end by Ricky last year. Watched the Season 10 anniversary last night, and was reminded of so many epic performances. Still waiting for that this season, I know its early, but I see no real connection from the dancers to the audience as they dance. There's talent there, but nothing in the heart so far.
Old 07-22-15, 08:38 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Originally Posted by magiccmom
I don't like that they are dancing in group numbers for their routines, since I cant seem to focus on any one dancer.
This. For example, the Bollywood routine. I usually love the Bollywood numbers but there was no reason that had to be a 4 person routine. I could not tell who was who during that number.

They have 2 hours, why don't they have time to dance in pairs? Kill the fluff, show us the pairs dancing.

It seems like an unfair advantage that certain people get to dance in a pair and others are relegated to 3 or 4 person groups.
Old 07-22-15, 01:52 PM

^^This.
Old 07-23-15, 08:37 AM
DRG
DVD Talk Legend

Originally Posted by Jadzia
This. For example, the Bollywood routine. I usually love the Bollywood numbers but there was no reason that had to be a 4 person routine. I could not tell who was who during that number.

It seems like an unfair advantage that certain people get to dance in a pair and others are relegated to 3 or 4 person groups.
This was the biggest takeaway for me and I'm curious how it'll affect the votes, especially at this early stage in the competition where most viewers haven't formed loyalties yet.

Bollywood, while fun, is already one of those styles where I honestly can't tell an okay performance from a great one. I'm not saying it doesn't involve skill, but I simply can't see the nuances in execution that distinguish a perfect performance from simply getting the choreography right. And when they have 4 people up there instead of 2, it just makes matters worse.
Old 07-23-15, 08:53 AM
wlj

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

my wife and i are big fans of the show, we have even been to a few of their live shows. however, the season is awful. i hate this street vs stage crap.
Old 07-31-15, 08:11 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 33 Likes on 26 Posts

Wait...so the judges saved Asaf this week? Have they not been listening to every package and watching him dance?!?
Old 07-31-15, 09:54 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

I'm also a big fan, and I've been disappointed with their approach to this season. Frankly, though, the show has never quite recovered from losing the "Results" show, where Nigel could put all of the "side" elements, -guests, group dances, solos, "Dizzy Feet" promotions. I think if Nigel could edit himself, -just make it about the contest and the contestants, -the show could be more focused.

By the way, I watched the return of "America's Best Dance Crew" on MTV this week and was very impressed. It has a new host I've never heard of and new jusdges I don't care for (including Frankie Grande from last season's "Big Brother"), but the performances were the star. Its an "All-Star" season, with (mostly) groups that won the title in their season. Quest Crew (featuring Hok and D-Trix from previous seasons of SYTYCD) did a terrific routine, and "I Am Me" featuring SYTYCD vet Phillip Chbeeb (the original group also featured JaJa from this season's show) did essentially a "production number" that was as good as anything done on "Dance" this season.
Old 08-01-15, 10:21 AM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

I can't stand the 3-person dance routines, can't focus on any of the 3 dancers well. Been meh on this season, no one super-rootable yet.
Old 09-14-15, 08:31 PM

Finale is tonight...

Team Stage:
Spoiler:
Gaby over Hailey

Team Street:
Spoiler:
JaJa over Virgil

... Final Results soon.

Edit to add: And the Winner of Season 12: Stage vs. Street...
Spoiler:
Gaby over JaJa... Stage beats Street!!!

See all y'all for Season 13!

Last edited by Goldberg74; 09-14-15 at 08:59 PM.

Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.