Go Back  DVD Talk Forum > Entertainment Discussions > Movie Talk
Reload this Page >

Shanghai Dawn (D: Jared Hess) S: Jackie Chan, Owen Wilson

Community
Search
Movie Talk A Discussion area for everything movie related including films In The Theaters

Search this Thread

Old 05-15-15, 12:17 PM

Received 4,580 Likes on 3,100 Posts

Jackie Chan and Owen Wilson are set to reprise their roles for the long awaited action-comedy sequel SHANGHAI DAWN. MGM is officially moving forward with the third film in the series that consists of the 2000 film Shanghai Noon, and the 2003 sequel Shanghai Knights. Jonathan Glickman will oversee the project for the studio, with a writer still currently being sought.

The initial film in the series, Shanghai Noon, was a western buddy-comedy that paired Chan’s Chon Wang, a former imperial guard, with Wilson’s Roy O’Bannon, a small-time robber with big dreams, as they partnered up to save a kidnapped princess. The first film was a play on the western genre, with the title being a pun on the classic Gary Cooper film High Noon.

The film came on the heels of the successful buddy cop comedy Rush Hour, which teamed Chan with comedic actor Chris Tucker, refreshing the odd-couple formula that had been proven successful by films such as 48 Hours, with Eddie Murphy and Nick Nolte, and Lethal Weapon, starring Mel Gibson and Danny Glover. Shanghai Noon blends elements of the buddy-cop genre with western and martial arts influences. The 1971 film Red Sun, starring Charles Bronson and Toshirō Mifune, is a notable film that previously blended martial arts elements into the western backdrop.

Shanghai Noon was written by writing team Miles Millar and Alfred Gough, who had previously written the successful action-comedy Lethal Weapon 4. The duo would go on to write the sequel Shanghai Knights, the buddy-cop comedy Showtime, which starred Eddie Murphy and Robert DeNiro, and develop the long-running superhero series Smallville. The film marked the directorial debut of Tom Dey, who would go on to direct Showtime, as well as the comedies Failure To Launch and Marmaduke, which reunited the director with Wilson.

Released in 2003, Shanghai Knights kept Millar and Gough on board to write, but favored David Dobkin to direct, who would re-team with Wilson on the 2005 comedy Wedding Crashers, which also starred Vince Vaughn. The story followed the characters to England, where they traced the murderer of Wayne’s father. Shanghai Dawn was initially mentioned in 2003, but never officially got off the ground. MGM is now reviving the Columbia series, using the same title that was originally intended for the third installment.

Growing up in China as a renowned martial artist, Chan made his film debut as a child actor in the Chinese film Big and Little Wong Tin Bar in 1962. Making his American film debut as a driver in the 1981 ensemble comedy The Cannonball Run, Chan would continue to make notable foreign films throughout the 80’s and 90’s, including Twin Dragons and The Legend Of The Drunken Master. The 1998 action-comedy Rush Hour solidified Chan as a screen icon in America, and he would continue to successfully headline numerous American films, including The Tuxedo, Disney’s Around The World In Eighty Days, and the 2010 remake of The Karate Kid. He is set to reprise his role in the upcoming sequel The Karate Kid 2.

Making his debut in the Wes Anderson short Bottle Rocket in 1994, Wilson starred in the ’96 feature film version for Anderson, and became well known for his roles in Meet The Parents, Zoolander, Wedding Crashers, and subsequent Anderson films including The Royal Tenenbaums and The Darjeeling Limited. He was well received for his role in the Woody Allen film Midnight In Paris in 2011, which reuinted him with his Wedding Crashers co-star Rachel McAdams. He is next set to reprise his Zoolander role in the upcoming sequel with Ben Stiller.

Chan is repped by WME. Wilson is repped by UTA.
http://www.tracking-board.com/tb-exc...shanghai-dawn/
Old 05-15-15, 12:26 PM
Banned

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
re: Shanghai Dawn (D: Jared Hess) S: Jackie Chan, Owen Wilson

I thought Jackie Chan retired a few years ago? I could have sworn I read some articles that he retired. I can't remember the last time I saw him in a movie either. The Karate Kid remake was probably the last time I saw him in a movie.
Old 05-15-15, 12:28 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 211 Likes on 178 Posts

Was there really a clamoring for a third one? And even there was, it's about 9 years too late.
Old 05-15-15, 12:57 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Can't wait for Shanghai Afternoon Tea.
Old 05-15-15, 12:59 PM
DVD Talk Godfather

Received 26 Likes on 14 Posts

Honestly, I enjoyed the heck out of both previous movies and would be happy to see another one. I wouldn't be in a huge rush to see it opening weekend or anything, but seems like a fun matinee.
Old 05-15-15, 01:09 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Location: Formerly known as Groucho AND Bandoman/Death Moans, Iowa
Received 372 Likes on 266 Posts

This is like Richard Linklater's "Before" series, but I'm less interested in checking in on Chan and Wilson's relationship.
Old 05-15-15, 01:09 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 13 Likes on 11 Posts

The movies were ok but the line "That's a stupid cowboy name." cracked me up.
Old 05-15-15, 01:33 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 274 Likes on 206 Posts

Originally Posted by TheMovieman
Was there really a clamoring for a third one? And even there was, it's about 9 years too late.
Fuck. YES. Shanghai Dawn has been the presumed title for over a decade, and I'm pumped about it coming to fruition.
Old 05-15-15, 01:35 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 211 Likes on 178 Posts

Yeah, I know it's been in the works for a long time but seems a bit late.
Old 05-15-15, 01:51 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 978 Likes on 689 Posts

I loved the first two movies in the series. They were the only American Jackie Chan movies I really liked and I thought the second one in particular was the closest he has come to the classic Jackie comedies of the 80's since going to Hollywood and then subsequently becoming a propaganda puppet for China.

That said, it may be a little too late. Chan and Wilson both seem like they were happy to move onto different things and this smells like a cash-grab. Although, it's not like the first two were huge hits or anything.
Old 05-15-15, 01:58 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Received 20 Likes on 13 Posts

This one should take place in China.
Old 05-15-15, 04:39 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 277 Likes on 212 Posts

Chris Tucker should join the cast, too, as the great-grandfather of his RUSH HOUR character.

And the three of them stumble on a cabin in the snow in Colorado and get into a fight with...the Hateful 8!.
Old 05-15-15, 05:24 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 324 Likes on 242 Posts

If they hope to make any money, they should change the title to SHANGHAI DAWN OF THE DEAD or SHANGHAI DAWN OF THE PLANET OF THE APES. Otherwise, this is going to bomb. As one of the above posters said, this is about a decade too late.
Old 05-15-15, 05:37 PM
DVD Talk Godfather

Received 26 Likes on 14 Posts

Shanghai Rises.
Old 05-15-15, 05:58 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 625 Likes on 482 Posts

It's finally happening? And I do hope they keep Shanghai Dawn as the title. For years I wanted them to do one with that title.
Old 05-15-15, 07:12 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 277 Likes on 212 Posts

Originally Posted by RocShemp
It's finally happening? And I do hope they keep Shanghai Dawn as the title. For years I wanted them to do one with that title.
Old 05-15-15, 07:15 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Received 6 Likes on 4 Posts

I'm excited. I loved the first two movies and prefer them to the Rush Hour ones. It's probably too late for mainstream audiences though.
Old 05-15-15, 07:17 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Originally Posted by Ash Ketchum
You know what I meant.
Old 05-15-15, 07:21 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Kim Jee-woon and Kim Min-suk should write the script and Kim Jee-woon should direct.
Old 05-15-15, 07:36 PM
DVD Talk God

Received 3,639 Likes on 2,612 Posts

Originally Posted by kgrogers1979
I thought Jackie Chan retired a few years ago? I could have sworn I read some articles that he retired. I can't remember the last time I saw him in a movie either. The Karate Kid remake was probably the last time I saw him in a movie.
He most recently did Police Story 2013 and Chinese Zodiac for the Hong Kong/China and Asian markets. He's done several movies since Karate Kid for the Asian markets.

Interesting, I recall that the 1st 2 Shanghai movies were made by Touchstone/Disney. Surprised the rights changed over to MGM.
Old 05-15-15, 07:58 PM
Banned

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

I barely remember the first one. never saw the second. I'm not interested in a 3rd.
Old 05-15-15, 08:01 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Originally Posted by Solid Snake
I barely remember the first one. never saw the second. I'm not interested in a 3rd.
As a fellow Donnie Yen fan, I am disappointed you never watched Shanghai Knights.

And don't you watch Game of Thrones, as well? I figure you people would get a kick out of seeing Aidan Gillen in an early villain role.
Old 05-15-15, 08:04 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 274 Likes on 206 Posts

He was a pretty good villian too, giving Chan/Wilson 2nd and 3rd chances in their duel/fight.
Old 05-15-15, 08:07 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 349 Likes on 268 Posts

I've always wanted the third title to be "Shanghai Mourning" (Morning /Mourning, and then write a plot around that)

Mourning / Morning
Noon / Noon
Knight / Night
Old 05-15-15, 08:10 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Originally Posted by bluetoast
He was a pretty good villian too, giving Chan/Wilson 2nd and 3rd chances in their duel/fight.
Yeah, I actually dug how
Spoiler:
Chon Wang had to essentially cheat in order to beat Lord Rathbone. The guy was just toying with him like a cat with a mouse. Of course his hubris was his downfall when Chon Wang went apeshit slicing the support ropes of the clocktower walkways.

I totally forgot that Andy Cheng and Yuen Biao doubled for Jackie Chan in Shanghai Noon.

Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.