The Blacklist (S2E22) -- Season Finale -- "Masha Rostova" -- 5/14/15

Search this Thread

Old 05-14-15, 06:28 PM
DVD Talk God

Received 3,639 Likes on 2,612 Posts
The Blacklist (S2E22) -- Season Finale -- "Masha Rostova" -- 5/14/15

"THE BLACKLIST"

"MASHA ROSTOVA"

05/14/2015 (09:00PM - 10:01PM) (Thursday) : In the season finale Liz (Megan Boone) realizes she is being framed by The Cabal forcing Red (James Spader) to use his connections to help her clear her name. As Cooper (Harry Lennix) receives shocking news, Ressler (Diego Klattenhoff) Samar (Mozhan Marno) and Aram (Amir Arison) must decide who on the task force can still be trusted. Ryan Eggold also stars.

Renewed for a 3rd season. Will return to Thursdays in the Fall.
Old 05-14-15, 11:39 PM
DVD Talk God

Received 1,365 Likes on 927 Posts
Re: The Blacklist (S2E22) -- Season Finale -- "Masha Rostova" -- 5/14/15

So Liz on the run with Red as many predicted. Didn't see her taking out Connelly though.
Old 05-15-15, 12:06 PM

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by Deftones
So Liz on the run with Red as many predicted. Didn't see her taking out Connelly though.
Yes, not Tom as one other suggested. I liked Red bringing in the reporters and telling them, you might get killed for this ...
Old 05-15-15, 10:34 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 810 Likes on 684 Posts

I think it was a necessary plot device putting Liz on the run. The show had grown very tired doing the same old same old after two seasons. I hope the Cabal are put on a backburner. That trope of a vast conspiracy was tired ten years ago.
Old 05-16-15, 01:21 AM
DVD Talk God

Received 3,639 Likes on 2,612 Posts

Thought that was a Great finale. I didn't see Liz taking out Connolly coming. Thought she would hesitate and put the gun down. He was right though. Taking him out will do nothing since he's only a small part of the conspiracy.

Yes, this season was a little uneven, but I think that was partly due to this show trying to mix complex serialized plots along with being a procedural and using Blacklist villains of the week. It caused the narrative to become a little unfocused. The show is called "The Blacklist", so it's still necessary to keep the procedural elements. I think they shook things up enough to make things fresh and interesting starting next season. I agree with Phantom, Liz being on the run and becoming a wanted fugitive became a necessary plot device.

By the way, I noticed the episode title changed actually to "Tom Connolly" but I don't think it really matters at this point.
Old 05-16-15, 09:26 AM
DVD Talk Legend

The episode title stayed the same. Connolly was the Blacklister named at the beginning.

Seems like they found a way to keep the focus of the show changing, and procedure of going after those on the list is over for now. And I think the show will be better for it. Some of those Blacklister one-offs were good, not to mention creepy. But most this season were sub par and flat out lame.

Last edited by hdnmickey; 05-16-15 at 09:41 PM.
Old 05-16-15, 07:50 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 810 Likes on 684 Posts

The real disappointment of season two was how poor and uninspired most of the Blacklisters were compared against season one. That is where the show had a huge drop-off in creativity. This is really a procedural that works because they had some very nasty villains for each new case. They have already seemingly run out of fresh blacklisters.
Old 05-16-15, 11:04 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Location: Bartertown due to it having a better economy than where I really live.
Received 18 Likes on 12 Posts

So cooper never thought to get a second opinion for his terminal disease?
Old 05-17-15, 03:57 AM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 163 Likes on 132 Posts

Originally Posted by PhantomStranger
The real disappointment of season two was how poor and uninspired most of the Blacklisters were compared against season one. That is where the show had a huge drop-off in creativity. This is really a procedural that works because they had some very nasty villains for each new case. They have already seemingly run out of fresh blacklisters.
I had the same problem with this. There were some really crappy Blacklisters in Season 1 too, but it seemed like 2/3 of the Blacklisters in Season 2 were really boring.

I enjoyed the finale for the most part and find the "Liz on the Run" concept interesting for next year. I could have done without the Tom/Liz sex scenes though as I thought it interupted the flow of the episode. I didn't really think she would shoot Connnelly so that was a pleasant surprise.
Old 05-17-15, 04:39 AM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 190 Likes on 163 Posts

Apparently they did change the episode title from Masha to Tom Connolly (No. 11).

Enjoyed the final two episodes, and the switch in the direction of the show. But still not buying this renewed romance between Lizzy and Tom (Jacob?). It just seemed ludicrous that she would go from illegally imprisoning him for better parts of four months and torturing him for intel back to falling in love with him, again.
Old 05-17-15, 09:37 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Originally Posted by ~~ PAL ~~
Apparently they did change the episode title from Masha to Tom Connolly (No. 11).
Based on what? Episode title never changed on the episode info I'm seeing on the DVR labeled on the episode itself.
Old 05-17-15, 04:41 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 650 Likes on 450 Posts

Originally Posted by hdnmickey
Based on what? Episode title never changed on the episode info I'm seeing on the DVR labeled on the episode itself.
Based on NBC's website:
http://www.nbc.com/the-blacklist/episodes

Wikipedia makes note of the change:
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of...s#cite_note-49
Old 05-17-15, 07:06 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Originally Posted by Jay G.
Interesting. After the first post on the subject I checked websites and the DVR listing, unchanged. Wonder when and why the change.
Old 05-17-15, 09:31 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 650 Likes on 450 Posts

Originally Posted by hdnmickey
Interesting. After the first post on the subject I checked websites and the DVR listing, unchanged. Wonder when and why the change.
The change on the NBC website happened after broadcast. But TV Guide had a story about the name change before the episode aired.
http://www.tvguide.com/news/the-blac...masha-rostova/
"The Blacklister of this episode is actually Tom Connelly (Reed Birney)," creator Jon Bokenkamp tells TVGuide.com. "There was an earlier incarnation where it was Masha Rostova, which in fact is Elizabeth Keen's (Megan Boone) name. But the truth of the matter is that Red is not putting Masha Rostova on the Blacklist. He is not pitted against her in a way. It's an episode that feels like Liz is a Blacklister because the full forces of the FBI are coming for her, but in fact she is more aligned with Red than she has been in the past several episodes. This episode is where Tom Connelly comes front and center, and his plan, along with the Director (David Strathairn) really all comes together."
Old 05-18-15, 09:12 AM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Originally Posted by mikehunt
So cooper never thought to get a second opinion for his terminal disease?
His insurance didn't cover it... pftt... Obama.
Old 05-18-15, 11:06 AM
DVD Talk Ultimate Edition

Received 100 Likes on 80 Posts

Originally Posted by Jay G.
The change on the NBC website happened after broadcast. But TV Guide had a story about the name change before the episode aired.
http://www.tvguide.com/news/the-blac...masha-rostova/
Interesting quote. So Keen's mom is not dead.