Go Back  DVD Talk Forum > Entertainment Discussions > TV Talk
Reload this Page >

Marvel's Agents of S.H.I.E.L.D (S2E21/22) -- 2 Hour Finale -- "S.O.S." -- 5/12/15

Community
Search
TV Talk Talk about Shows on TV

Marvel's Agents of S.H.I.E.L.D (S2E21/22) -- 2 Hour Finale -- "S.O.S." -- 5/12/15

Search this Thread

Old 05-12-15, 10:01 AM
DVD Talk God

Received 3,634 Likes on 2,607 Posts

SEASON FINALE

THE INHUMANS' ENDGAME IS REVEALED, ON THE TWO-HOUR SEASON FINALE OF ABC'S "MARVEL'S AGENTS OF S.H.I.E.L.D."

"S.O.S.," Part One and Part Two" - S.H.I.E.L.D. puts everything on the line to survive a war that blurs the line between friend and foe. Coulson and his team will be forced to make shocking sacrifices that will leave their relationships and their world changed forever, on the two-hour season finale of "Marvel's Agents of S.H.I.E.L.D," TUESDAY, MAY 12 (9:00-11:00 p.m., ET) on the ABC Television Network.

"Marvel's Agents of S.H.I.E.L.D." stars Clark Gregg as Director Phil Coulson, Ming-Na Wen as Agent Melinda May, Brett Dalton as Grant Ward, Chloe Bennet as Agent Skye, Iain De Caestecker as Agent Leo Fitz, Elizabeth Henstridge as Agent Jemma Simmons, Nick Blood as Lance Hunter and Adrianne Palicki as Bobbi Morse.

Guest starring on "S.O.S.," Part One are Henry Simmons as Alphonso "Mack" Mackenzie, Ruth Negga as Raina, Kyle Maclachlan as Cal, Jamie Harris as Gordon, Christine Adams as Agent Weaver, Mark Allan Stewart as Agent Oliver, Maya Stojan as Kara/Agent 33, Dichen Lachman as Jiaying, Luke Mitchell as Lincoln Campbell, Kyle Mattocks as Agent Harris, Ryan Powers as S.H.I.E.L.D. tech agent and Alicia Vela-Bailey as Alisha.

Guest starring on "S.O.S.," Part Two are Henry Simmons as Alphonso "Mack" Mackenzie, Kyle Maclachlan as Cal, Jamie Harris as Gordon, Christine Adams as Agent Weaver, Mark Allan Stewart as Agent Oliver, Blair Underwood as Andrew Garner, Maya Stojan as Kara/Agent 33, Dichen Lachman as Jiaying, Luke Mitchell as Lincoln Campbell, Brendan Wayne as Jiaying's assistant, Robert Reinis as bartender, Daz Crawford as Kebo, Alicia Vela-Bailey as Alisha and Anthony D. Washington as TAC agent #3.

"S.O.S.," Part One was written by Jeffrey Bell and directed by Vincent Misiano.

"S.O.S.," Part Two was written by Jed Whedon & Maurissa Tancharoen and directed by Billy Gierhart.

Episodes 21 and 22 of 22

Renewed for a 3rd season by ABC
Old 05-12-15, 10:17 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 427 Likes on 291 Posts
Re: Marvel's Agents of S.H.I.E.L.D (S2E21/22) -- 2 Hour Finale -- "S.O.S." -- 5/12/15

Jemma's face above sums up how I feel about the show now a days. So how was it?
Old 05-12-15, 10:32 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Received 20 Likes on 13 Posts
Re: Marvel's Agents of S.H.I.E.L.D (S2E21/22) -- 2 Hour Finale -- "S.O.S." -- 5/12/15

She better be fine at the start of the next season.
Old 05-12-15, 11:24 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 2,725 Likes on 1,881 Posts

Ten thoughts:

Really thought Mack was going to be a goner; after losing Tripp, I was afraid this would go down the Walking Dead rabbit hole.

Oh, Raina...

For a moment, I though Gordon impaled Fitz with that pole...

Nice move by May, getting Ward to take out one of his own...

So Ward really did kill the dog. He's irredeemable now. Hail Hydra!

So are folks who take the fish oil vitamins either going to become Inhumans or piles of sand? Or will it just effect Inhumans.

When Coulson caught the crystal and started changing, I was all Oh, shit, and then when Mack did his thing I was like OH SHIT!

The shit with Ward sticking needled under Bobbi's fingernails was so fucked up...

And Cal went to Tahiti. Somehow doubt it will stick unless Dale Cooper stays in Twin Peaks.

Simmons... Sorry, that cracked me up. Absolutely diabolical way to end the season...
Old 05-13-15, 01:46 AM
DVD Talk Godfather

Received 26 Likes on 14 Posts

Really enjoyable finale for me, with a bunch of surprises. I enjoyed and was surprised to see Jiaying absorbing people to stay young, although her plan seemed pretty terrible. For all the Inhumans she wanted to win over on her side for the war, there sure weren't many people on the cruiser with her. Seemed weird to rely on Lincoln and Skye, whom she knew were iffy. Pretty weak as far as a "war" being pitched in the trailers and lead up to this. The green screen at the end there was pretty terrible too.

At first I thought the scene with Cal at the end was a flashback. Glad to see him actually be "Mr. Hyde" and also glad they used TAHITI with him. A nice surprise.

Cutting off Coulson's hand seemed ballsy. Great moment there. Reminded me instantly of the recent talk from Whedon about how he's snuck in someone losing a limb and it's funny to see it continue in the show. I hope they don't just give him a robot arm and basically ignore it though.

Sick of Ward, was hoping we were done with him. I hope the next season isn't just him as Hydra being a pain. It would have been more enjoyable to see him killed instead of Agent 33. On the bright side, they never tried to redeem him that a lot of us worried about at the start of the season.

Knowing the Quinjet went in to the ocean, you would think SHIELD would immediately try and recover it knowing what was there. Kind of a silly result, but I imagine it gives the entire MCU an excuse for Inhumans and "powered people" to start popping up. Along with Ward, I assume that's the major plot line for next season. Simmons at the end seemed purposely hokey and B-movieish, and I enjoyed it and surprised me. Is there any clue from the comics what that thing is?

Anyway, enjoyed this season quite a bit and looking forward to Season 3.
Old 05-13-15, 02:54 AM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 1,931 Likes on 1,493 Posts

I was wondering for the longest time why They had Mac carrying that axe.

They really have a problem showing scale in this show, I'm not sure if it's by design or because of budget.

First the inhumans take over a battleship filled with trained SHIELD agents who were already gearing up for battle. How many Shield agents? How many Inhumans? Who knows. But these are the guys who overran Coulsons version of Shield earlier, right?

Then they say that once Coulson here's about it the reinforcements will take over the ship. But Jaiying is confident Hyde all by himself, with a faulty formula, will occupy Coulson. And hey, there are only like five SHield agents seemingly in the base. Sure they have a dozen or so on the mission to find Bobbie, but how many men does Coulson have? Never enough.

jaiying's big plan is to lure all of Shield out to the helicarrier and somehow kill them all. (Crystals in the air ducts? She never does anything) Coulson gets wind of it and indubitably decides to send everyone back but one quinjet, confident that they can take back the carrier, even though the enemy is expecting them. Hey, they have May, Fitz, and for some reason Hyde, so of course they can take out the Inhumans who effortlessly took out an entire carrier. They have female Madrox, blind teleporter, conflicted electro and a bunch of grunts on the Inhuman side, and for no reason at all they took the time to bring Skye with them.

Jaiying's big plan is to flee with the terrigen crystals she has left, you know the ones she brought with her. She wants to find out who the hidden Inhumans are by using the fake crystals. This after a huge deal is made about Skye and Raina being shunned because they are very selective as to who and when their kind get powers.

I also found it odd that Bobbie made a huge deal about Shield emphasizing the good of the many outweighing the good of the few, and then on the carrier three guys get killed and they sell out the rest of Shield.

You know that version of brainwashing that doesn't really work that well? Let's use it on unstable druggie and let him free. That seems like the moral thing to do, you know, brainwash him without his consent, I'm sure that won't bite them later.

It's time to form a team of undercover Shield agents with powers, some secret warriors. Never mind that that was what Gonzalez was afraid Coulson was already doing, that a bunch of his core team hate or distrust super powered people, or that he only has one so far. Hey Skye, you know a great way for your people to stay secret? How about not searching for them so you can index and/or recruit them.

The scene where Coulson catches the crystal was so cheesy, and yet instantly redeemed just a few seconds later.

Last edited by fujishig; 05-13-15 at 03:07 AM.
Old 05-13-15, 03:08 AM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 15 Likes on 14 Posts

Great finale, there was nothing I didn't like. Ward is turning into one of my favorite villains. There were so many oh sh@t moments. Coulson looking like he was about to die. Mac taking off Coulson hand to save him. Simmons getting eaten by the alien thingy. Fitz looking like he died. Bobbi getting shot. And on and on. One of the best season finals for a show I have seen.
Old 05-13-15, 03:25 AM

Received 19 Likes on 14 Posts

Originally Posted by fujishig

You know that version of brainwashing that doesn't really work that well? Let's use it on unstable druggie and let him free. That seems like the moral thing to do, you know, brainwash him without his consent, I'm sure that won't bite them later.
My impression was that this wasn't without his consent. He knew exactly what was coming (Skye too) and seemed to be at peace with it.
Old 05-13-15, 03:50 AM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

They turned Coulson into Rick Grimes.

"I'm the guy who kills Gordon." Finally, he's badass. He had been turning into Tyrese there.

I found it peculiar that May had locker 33.

I'm really not liking that Marvel is going full on with the "no more mutants" policy.
Old 05-13-15, 06:04 AM
TGM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 401 Likes on 250 Posts

I'm only 1 hour in. So, they turned Skye's dad into Quentin Tarantino?
Old 05-13-15, 06:17 AM
DVD Talk Legend & 2021 TOTY Winner

Received 737 Likes on 364 Posts

After being "meh" on most of the second half of season two, I actually really enjoyed the finale. I actually said "Oh Shit!" out loud several times during this episode. I'm back in.
Old 05-13-15, 12:46 PM
DVD Talk Godfather

Originally Posted by Toonview
My impression was that this wasn't without his consent. He knew exactly what was coming (Skye too) and seemed to be at peace with it.
That conversation plays a little different after the fact, as initially it just sounds like he's going to some prison.

That said, going back to what fujishig said it's interesting since we spent half a season on how that process made Coulson crazy. Given that it previously created a map that led to a city that was since blown up, I wonder what it does now
Old 05-13-15, 12:56 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Well, the crazy Coulson part was mainly because he was brought back from the dead with Kree technology, then brainwashed to forget that. So the crazy alien stuff probably doesn't apply, but the brainwashing stuff didn't exactly work either. I have to go back to see exactly what Cal said when he was going away.

While I didn't necessarily like the sudden and decisive heel turn that Jaiying made (no shades of grey there, especially once she started draining Skye, though at least the whole experience of being cut to pieces kinda explains why), I did like that Coulson realized that she was the source of Cal experimenting on himself and going unstable.

Jaiying is like early Magneto: probably has a valid point about persecution of Inhumans/mutants and not wanting to be indexed, but takes it to a whole different level by going full force into killing/planned genocide so the audience knows they're the bad guys and not to root for them. But she's still alive, right? I mean if she can be cut to pieces and revived...

I also liked the Reina turn, and how she kinda just accepted her destiny.

Coulson only really has one person left in his board of directors or whatever they called it (since May and Bobbie are apparently taking some time off), and she basically gave in to terrorist demands, so I wonder if they'll come up with a new one.

The long layoff made this season feel really long... hard to believe we were introduced to Cal really only at the beginning of this season; the whole Whitehall thing feels like season 2 and this was season 3.
Old 05-13-15, 01:06 PM
DVD Talk Godfather

Oh yeah, good point. So it's only half of TAHITI; not the Kree blood part, but just the brain tinkering.
Old 05-13-15, 02:07 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 479 Likes on 351 Posts

Loved it. I'm looking forward to what they come up with for season 3...
Old 05-13-15, 02:16 PM

Received 4,558 Likes on 3,093 Posts

Pretty funny how they carried over the "Star Wars - loosing an arm" reference from the Phase 2 movies onto this.
Old 05-13-15, 03:38 PM

Did anyone catch what the blueprints were that Coulson was looking at towards the end? It looks like an aircraft but didn't know if it was from any comic source material or not.

Enjoyed this episode. Really didn't know what to expect.
Old 05-13-15, 05:11 PM
DVD Talk God

Received 1,365 Likes on 927 Posts

May tricking Ward to kill Agent 33 was fucking perfect.

"Science, beyotch!:

Holy shit at the end!
Old 05-13-15, 05:24 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Originally Posted by Flatlander
Did anyone catch what the blueprints were that Coulson was looking at towards the end? It looks like an aircraft but didn't know if it was from any comic source material or not.

Enjoyed this episode. Really didn't know what to expect.
There were four drawings. A couple of planes (one a dropship-like replacement for May's lost plane), perhaps a gun, and some kind of exoskeleton or bone thing (maybe some improvement on the Centipede technology?)

http://overmental.com/content/agents...ueprints-19192

I am a little worried if they really do shift to a powered team, mainly because the Masters of Evil and the Inhumans were kind of underwhelming in terms of showing us powers.
Old 05-13-15, 05:55 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 112 Likes on 100 Posts

Dangit. I actually loved both Gordon and Raina. They really helped boost the show for me. Incredibly sad to not see them around anymore.

Originally Posted by TGM
So, they turned Skye's dad into Quentin Tarantino?
I said the same thing outloud. More specifically, the vampire Tarantino in Dusk til Dawn.

Originally Posted by fumanstan
Sick of Ward, was hoping we were done with him. I hope the next season isn't just him as Hydra being a pain. It would have been more enjoyable to see him killed instead of Agent 33. On the bright side, they never tried to redeem him that a lot of us worried about at the start of the season.
I've been wanting to see Ward go too. But considering that it was just May & Hunter in his midst, I knew he would get away. If Ward eventually finally does go, it's common knowledge that the entire team will have to be there to see it happen.
Old 05-13-15, 06:04 PM
DVD Talk God

Received 1,365 Likes on 927 Posts

Raina was gone because she got a new show to work on.
Old 05-13-15, 07:46 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 598 Likes on 432 Posts

Evrything was good, made up for a pretty "who cares" most of the second half season.
Except that liquid monolith, it appeared a few eps back from out of no where and still
don't know what it is. Then Brain Damage knocks it open and it takes 5-Head and goes back in the box that is still unlocked??
Old 05-13-15, 11:31 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 112 Likes on 100 Posts

Originally Posted by Deftones
Raina was gone because she got a new show to work on.
I would've even been fine if they added a new actress under the makeup. But as "Emergency Awesome" (A youtuber) says, it might have been tough and tiresome to keep a character around who can always predict the future.

I'd love Coulson to return with some Deathlock hardware for the new hand.
Old 05-14-15, 10:12 AM

As to Coulson's arm - The TV magic of the scene includes a mechanical axe that actually cuts through a faux arm made up of tripe wrapped around a chicken thigh—which is what gives you the crunching sound of a bone being chopped in two.

As to Simmons
Spoiler:
She's under contract for next season so maybe she's not dead/absorbed/turned into a Zombie.

As to Ward will killing 33 restore the humanity in him that held him back or does he go full on evil? That's the question for next season.
Old 05-14-15, 01:51 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Out of left field comment from the final:

Mack to Skye, "“yeah, I thought my mom was bad when she started watching Fox News.”"

Being that ABC/Disney owns a NEWS channel, I thought it was a strange way to put down your competitor.
-Kind of petty if you ask me

Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.