TV Talk Talk about Shows on TV

Bates Motel (S3E10) - "Unconscious" (Season 3 Finale) - 5/11/2015

Search this Thread

Old 05-11-15, 10:04 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 1,154 Likes on 901 Posts
Bates Motel (S3E10) - "Unconscious" (Season 3 Finale) - 5/11/2015

Synopsis:

In the Season 3 finale, Norma hits a breaking point with Norman's issues; Emma has a surprising reaction to seemingly positive news; Romero seals his fate in the town by finally choosing sides; and Caleb makes a decision that will uproot his new life.

Season 3, Episode 10
Old 05-11-15, 12:29 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 14 Likes on 10 Posts
Re: Bates Motel (S3E10) - "Unconscious" (Season 3 Finale) - 5/11/2015

It'll be interesting to see if Bradley makes it out alive.
Old 05-11-15, 01:19 PM
DVD Talk Platinum Edition

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I'm guessing Emma gets the call about
Spoiler:
the lung transplant
Old 05-11-15, 08:56 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Received 30 Likes on 20 Posts

Nice little scene there for Olivia.

Remind me never to get into a gunfight with Nestor. Man that dude has a fast draw.

It was nice to have an episode without Vera shrieking at the top of her lungs. But have you ever noticed how much Freddie struggles to scream and suppress his British accent?

Real nice twist at the end with
Spoiler:
Norman escaping from the bonds.
Old 05-11-15, 10:38 PM
DVD Talk Legend

....that felt like a series finale to me. Lil bit worried now.
Old 05-11-15, 10:44 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Awesome finale. It seems pretty clear that Dylan and Emma will be together next season for sure. I knew the moment that Romero met Bob Harris on the boat that he was going to kill him.

The scenes at the end with Norman and Norma were good as usual. Particularly at the end when they fought and she knocked him out. I was surprised she did that a bit but he was out of control.

Spoiler:
For a moment even though I knew it wasn't going to happen I almost was buying that Norman may have run off with Bradley for a while. The preview kind of spoiled it. Although I guess her being killed by Norman wasn't a complete shock.

I like how both season two and three have ended with clear nods to the original Psycho film. It's going to be a long wait for season four!!

Originally Posted by starseed1981
....that felt like a series finale to me. Lil bit worried now.
Honestly while it could work that way if A&E doesn't renew it, which will honestly shock me if they don't, there's a bunch of stuff that should still happen before it ends.
Old 05-11-15, 11:32 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Originally Posted by Mike86
Honestly while it could work that way if A&E doesn't renew it, which will honestly shock me if they don't, there's a bunch of stuff that should still happen before it ends.
yeah well we all thought "Longmire" was a shoo-in for renewal, too.
Old 05-11-15, 11:36 PM
DVD Talk Ultimate Edition

Received 100 Likes on 80 Posts

Originally Posted by Traxan
Nice little scene there for Olivia.

Remind me never to get into a gunfight with Nestor. Man that dude has a fast draw.

It was nice to have an episode without Vera shrieking at the top of her lungs. But have you ever noticed how much Freddie struggles to scream and suppress his British accent?

Real nice twist at the end with
Spoiler:
Norman escaping from the bonds.
It's funny but I thought the same thing with Nestor, he was really fast with that gun. Good episode but I think the ending ups the possibility this was the last Bates Motel ever.

Emma and Dylan the moral center of the show, and Dylan the cog that holds everything together. Who would have thunk it?

Every show I like got cancelled this year it seems. Would hate to see this added to the list.
Old 05-12-15, 12:00 AM
DVD Talk Legend

yeah well we all thought "Longmire" was a shoo-in for renewal, too.
I suppose but I truly don't think it'll be cancelled. I think that with an end game in sight for this series A&E might be willing to keep it around. Plus the series has a pretty big following online through social media and whatnot which is something I'm not sure Longmire had quite as much of.
Old 05-12-15, 06:31 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 718 Likes on 587 Posts

I hope you are right and it comes back.

What are they going to fill the time slot with another white trash reality show?

I want at least 5 seasons but I could be happy if it went up to 6-8 but that might be asking too much.

Avoid the drug dealing storyline.
Old 05-12-15, 06:49 AM
DVD Talk Ultimate Edition

That was a great season finale to a great season. I can't believe how much I came to love all the characters, even Dylan who I never cared about before.

Don't mess with Normero. The man's got skills.

Bradley's death was brutal!!! We were all expecting her to die, but not like that. Very well done.

If I do not get the five seasons they have in mind, I will be crushed.
Old 05-12-15, 07:39 AM
DVD Talk Legend

I felt sorry for Norman when Norma told him about the mental hospital.
Old 05-12-15, 08:45 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Well, if A & E doesn't pick this one up it's a shoe in for Hulu or Netflix.
Old 05-12-15, 08:57 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 324 Likes on 242 Posts

Carlton Cuse has said their are 20 more episodes/two more seasons. That doesn't mean A&E will renew it, but that's what the game plan is.
Old 05-12-15, 09:10 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Originally Posted by JeffTheAlpaca
I felt sorry for Norman when Norma told him about the mental hospital.
I didn't really. Norma is trying to help him even if he doesn't realize it and ultimately he's just making things more difficult for everyone. Granted I realize that's not how the story is supposed to go, but in real life I think a person in Norma's shoes would try to do the same for someone they care about.
Old 05-12-15, 09:25 AM

Good season finale. I'm not surprised about how brutal Bradley's death was. I think the writers want to start off the show by having the violence not be too graphic, but over time it gets longer and more graphic. There were scenes in season 1 that were graphic, but those scenes weren't of Norman committing violence. Now Norman is one who is getting more intense and doing things more brutally.
Old 05-12-15, 09:38 AM

I suppose but I truly don't think it'll be cancelled. I think that with an end game in sight for this series A&E might be willing to keep it around. Plus the series has a pretty big following online through social media and whatnot which is something I'm not sure Longmire had quite as much of.
I think the same thing too. Cuse has said that he has had the series planned out and A&E has probably seen some of those plans. The end game factor might keep Bates Motel on A&E. Also A&E has had difficulties when it comes to original scripted shows. IIRC, most of their shows have ended on cliffhangers due to ratings cancellations and some of their past shows like The Cleaner never got much media attention.

A&E could become another AMC or FX when it comes to original scripted shows, but they are still being held back by the reality shows they produce and some of the issues with their scripted shows. Keeping Bates Motel for two more seasons could help the network. Critics like the show. I haven't been keeping track of ratings, but how have they been?
Old 05-12-15, 10:49 AM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

I tell you though, it feels a bit... I can't think of a better word than cheated, the way Norman got away. His mom KOs him with an iron, she ties up his wrists and legs and he pulls a Houdini and gets out via that tiny window. Come on...

BTW, Romero could be in big trouble since he called Paris from his cell phone. The DEA aren't stupid. They are going to look at Paris's home phone and see a call came in from Romero. Unless the writers conveniently throw that out.

Shooting a man in the throat though... Romero really wanted this guy to suffer at the end, although really it should have severed his spine and killed him instantly. I think that death was more brutal than Bradley's.
Old 05-12-15, 10:52 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 324 Likes on 242 Posts

I tell you though, it feels a bit... I can't think of a better word than cheated, the way Norman got away. His mom KOs him with an iron, she ties up his wrists and legs and he pulls a Houdini and gets out via that tiny window. Come on...
Was that an iron? I couldn't make it out on my TV. If so, that's a great call-back to the way Norman's father died.
Old 05-12-15, 11:28 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Honestly when she was tying him up I didn't think she was doing that great of a job. Not sure what she used but it didn't seem to be anything that was going to secure him too long. As for the window escape I agree that would have been hard for a guy his size to get through.
Old 05-12-15, 04:02 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Good season finale. I'm not surprised about how brutal Bradley's death was. I think the writers want to start off the show by having the violence not be too graphic, but over time it gets longer and more graphic.
It goes from "Parental Discretion Advised" to a MA rating this week.

If all you do is stare at the wall, sit in a lawn chair, and sleep that mental hospital might not be that bad lol.
Old 05-12-15, 04:21 PM
Banned

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Thinking this, too. Selling tv series at a local flea market & online, got lots of requests & buzz about BM but not much about Longmire. People to whom we recommended the latter were very positive when they gave it a try, but many had never heard of the show. Bates Motel gets a lot of attention on mainstream media sites.
Old 05-12-15, 06:28 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 39 Likes on 32 Posts

I liked the first 2 seasons of the show, but this year really kicked it up a notch.

5 Seasons seems like a good length to me, they have things in motion that come to a conclusion we all know. Going much longer than that risks stretching it out too long and we will end up with a bunch of ancillary stories. Some of which might end up being good, but I think they are moving the series along at a good pace and should keep that up.
Old 05-12-15, 06:44 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Originally Posted by BearFan
I liked the first 2 seasons of the show, but this year really kicked it up a notch.

5 Seasons seems like a good length to me, they have things in motion that come to a conclusion we all know. Going much longer than that risks stretching it out too long and we will end up with a bunch of ancillary stories. Some of which might end up being good, but I think they are moving the series along at a good pace and should keep that up.
I so agree with you. I enjoyed the first two seasons, but this season was just terrific and I am kind of shocked by the cancellation discussion both here and last night on twitter. After such a great season of television, I didn't even think that was possible.
Old 05-12-15, 06:50 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Originally Posted by BearFan

Yeah I think five, may six seasons tops is perfect for this series. The way I view it the first two seasons (and really even parts of this season) were essentially just laying the groundwork for what's to come. This year really stepped it up and brought Norman's craziness to a new level.

Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.