Go Back  DVD Talk Forum > DVD Discussions > DVD & Home Theater Gear
Reload this Page >

Beginner Sound System for Home Theatre?

DVD & Home Theater Gear Discuss DVD and Home Theater Equipment.

Beginner Sound System for Home Theatre?

Old 08-01-00, 05:08 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
I searched this specific forum for a beginner sound system w/ reciever and couldn't find anything. Right now i'm on a budget of 600-700 (MAYBE 800) for a sound system w/ reciever. I was looking for something w/ DTS and DD decoding and with some quality (svideo & optical capable). If there is a site with a review of it please post that also. I know i cant get the anything real good with that kind of money but I'm shure there must be something better than living with T.V. speakers Basically, whats the best I can do w/ my budget? I have a digital cable box with svideo and optical output and a Pioneer Dv-333 dvdplayer. Thanks for the help.
Old 08-01-00, 08:16 AM

The kenwood 503HTB is very convincing. Anything else?
Old 08-01-00, 10:21 AM

Here in the UK, it's the Digitheatre DTS system thats blowing up a storm at the moment. Cost's about £350, around $550. All the reviews say it blows away even the most expensive systems.

Found this US supplier, might get cheaper elsewhere.
http://www.digitheatre.com/DigiTheatre_DTS.htm
Old 08-01-00, 12:00 PM

Essexboy, that doesn't look very upgradeable.
Old 08-01-00, 12:07 PM

A $700 budget for speakers and a receiver is not a whole lot. The Kenwood HTIB you mentioned is a good idea.

You may want to just go to your local retail stores and look for a package with a good receiver and speakers. Buy a receiver that does everything you want don't worry too much about the speakers. I don't think it'll matter what speaker you get in this price range, you will either be happy with the sound or want to upgrade the speakers.

Later on you can save up some money for speakers, and you'll already have a nice receiver.
Old 08-01-00, 12:17 PM

The question asked for a beginner DTS system under $600.

Have I not supplied an answer to that? Anyway, this system is meant to be amazing, 'cos it's selling extremely fast over here.
Old 08-02-00, 11:53 AM

mpeg, I am in the same situation as you and just did a lot of on-line research (deja.com and Cnet) and the Kenwood 503 has gotten a lot of really good reviews!
If you are interested in the Kenwood 503 HTB, the best price I found it for was
$399.00 (plus shipping) at Shop4.com. There is a cost to become a site member, but they are offering 3 free months so you can always join to take advantage of the great price and then cancel your membership later. I just ordered one two days ago so I haven't had any personal experience with the system yet.
Just wanted to pass along the deal!
Good Luck

Old 08-02-00, 10:46 PM
Cool New Member

I have the Kenwood Package upstairs. I do like it. However we just got a Directtv dish and to get the 5.1 sound from that you need a optical plug in. The Kenwood vr 309 reciver has only one optical plug in, and that one I am using with our DVD Player. So to get around that I am going to have to put the Direcv reciver on my setup downstairs. You will love the sound from the Kenwood Package. Just make sure you will only need one Optical
cable to plug in to your Kenwood.
Old 08-03-00, 04:58 AM

Windowace

I'm pretty sure 99.99% of DVD players also have a coax digital output. Why don't you use the optical in on your receiver for the DBS and use the coax for your DVD player? ?(I've used both the sound is just as good)

Or does the Kenwood receiver not have a coax digital input.

------------------
"...that gum you like is going to come back in style"

[This message has been edited by d-rell (edited August 03, 2000).]
Old 08-03-00, 02:46 PM
Banned

quote:<HR>Originally posted by mpeg:
I searched this specific forum for a beginner sound system w/ reciever and couldn't find anything. Right now i'm on a budget of 600-700 (MAYBE 800) for a sound system w/ reciever. I was looking for something w/ DTS and DD decoding and with some quality (svideo & optical capable). If there is a site with a review of it please post that also. I know i cant get the anything real good with that kind of money but I'm shure there must be something better than living with T.V. speakers Basically, whats the best I can do w/ my budget? I have a digital cable box with svideo and optical output and a Pioneer Dv-333 dvdplayer. Thanks for the help.<HR>

JVC has decent priced receivers with Dolby Digital/DTS multiple opticals and S-VIdeo inputs - figure around $250

KLH 283 @ $180 a pair great for front speakers
KLH AV1001B @ $70 a pair for surrounds
KLH ASW12-120 @ $170 12" 120 watt subwoofer

Check Rex - they have a good selection of budget priced equiptment that preforms quite well
Old 08-05-00, 12:27 AM

I HIGHLY recommend the Kenwood HTiB, it has all the svdieo ins and digital ins you need (2 coax, 2 optical). all for a great price, with 600 watts of power and DD/DTS decoding!
Old 08-05-00, 01:43 AM
Cool New Member

to d-rell
The Kenwood VR 309 only has one digital optical spot. I have and older model than the one that is in the newer Kenwood set. You are right about the Dvd Player. JVC and Panasonic now have complete audio sets as well. I don't know how they compare to the Kenwood. You might want to look at the JVC 6500 reciever for $235.00 You can buy a low budget 5 speaker set at circuit city for under $200.00 and than buy a power subwoofer for around $180.00. Check bestpriceaudiovideo.com for that reciever.
Old 08-05-00, 02:01 AM

THe old VR309 had only 1 optical, but the replacement for the 309, the VR407 that comes with the HTB-503 has Two Coax and TWO optical, so it'll use all your digital needs.
Old 12-04-00, 08:29 AM

Just wanted to back up what Essexboy said many months ago - recently purchased the DigiTheatre DTS system and guys, I gotta tell you, it rocks!! cost me 400 quid (on the plastic though so that's ok ) and the sound quality is immense! there's probably better out there but not at this price level.