Go Back  DVD Talk Forum > Entertainment Discussions > Music Talk
Reload this Page >

Richard Thompson Announces New Album Still, Produced by Jeff Tweedy

Music Talk Discuss music in all its forms: CD, MP3, DVD-A, SACD and of course live

Old 04-28-15, 03:37 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 10 Likes on 9 Posts

SoundScan sample sounds really good

Richard Thompson has announced a new solo album called Still, which is produced by Wilco's Jeff Tweedy. It's out June 23 on Fantasy. They've also shared the first single, "Beatnik Walking"; listen to it above via Aquarium Drunkard.

"Richard's been one of my favorite guitar players for a very long time," said Tweedy in a press release. "When I think about it, he's also one of my favorite songwriters and favorite singers. He's the Ultimate Triple Threat. Getting to work closely with him on this record was a truly rewarding experience, not to mention a great thrill. And he keeps alive my streak of working exclusively with artists who make me look good as a producer."

Check out Thompson's full tour itinerary here. Here's a shot of them both in the studio by photographer Zoran Orlick:

Old 04-28-15, 05:34 PM
Banned

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Re: Richard Thompson Announces New Album Still, Produced by Jeff Tweedy

Thanks, cungar. I got an email from RT website announcing new release but got distracted reading his mailbag answers & never checked out the details. Had no idea that Tweedy was producing.

"Richard's been one of my favorite guitar players for a very long time," said Tweedy in a press release. "When I think about it, he's also one of my favorite songwriters and favorite singers. He's the Ultimate Triple Threat.

Jeff just summed up the feelings of all hardcore RT fans.
Old 04-28-15, 05:53 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 164 Likes on 117 Posts

I love Thompson who's never quite gotten the attention he deserves (forget Jimmy Page, give me a Thompson guitar solo anytime). And Tweedy has done some awesome work producing folks like Mavis Staples, so I'm really excited to hear this is coming.
Old 04-29-15, 06:15 AM
Banned

On the plus side for fans, you can still get relatively cheap tickets to his shows & get to sit a few feet away from him.

Just saw in the pre-sale email that a deluxe version of the CD will have a 5-song "Variations" EP from unreleased sessions.
Old 04-29-15, 08:38 AM
DVD Talk Hero

Can't wait to see Richard Thompson at Solid Sound - hopefully joined by Jeff at some point.
Old 04-29-15, 10:21 AM
Banned

Originally Posted by CRM114
Can't wait to see Richard Thompson at Solid Sound - hopefully joined by Jeff at some point.
Do you prefer him with band or solo? I've seen him multiple times both ways & prefer the latter.
Old 04-29-15, 11:46 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 10 Likes on 9 Posts

Originally Posted by creekdipper
Do you prefer him with band or solo? I've seen him multiple times both ways & prefer the latter.
Nothing beats a solo Thompson show. I've seen him twice from like the third row at McCabe's Guitar Shop in Santa Monica. Absolutely spellbinding.