TV Talk Talk about Shows on TV

The Returned (A&E) -- American remake from Carlton Cuse -- Series Thread

Search this Thread

Old 04-29-14, 01:13 PM
DVD Talk God

Received 3,637 Likes on 2,610 Posts
The Returned (A&E) -- American remake from Carlton Cuse -- Series Thread

http://m.deadline.com/2014/04/carlto...ries-order-ae/

An U.S. version of the acclaimed and popular French drama The Returned (Les Revenants) is a go. A&E has given a 10-episode straight-to-series order to the project, also titled The Returned, which had been on fast-track development since the network acquired the rights to the French series last fall. Carlton Cuse (Bates Motel) wrote the first episode, and he and Raelle Tucker (True Blood) will write and executive produce the supernatural/suspense series, a co-production between A+E Studios and FremantleMedia North America, with three scripts already completed. Casting will begin immediately.
Based on the International Emmy-winning French suspense series by Fabrice Gobert, which in turn was inspired by the French feature film of the same name directed by Robin Campillo, The Returned focuses on a small town that is turned upside down when several local people, who have been long presumed dead suddenly reappear, bringing with them both positive and detrimental consequences. As families are reunited, the lives of those who were left behind are challenged on a physical and emotional level as strange phenomena begin to occur. I hear A&E’s version is faithful to the original. “The Returned has the potential to be one of the most compelling drama series on cable, thanks to phenomenal scripts written by Carlton and Raelle,” said A&E general manager David McKillop. This marks the second straight-to-series order for Cuse at A&E, where he also has Psycho prequel series Bates Motel, recently renewed for a third season. With the pickup of The Returned, Cuse ties Julie Plec as the writing drama producer with the most series on the air, 3: Bates Motel, and The Returned at A&E and the upcoming horror series The Strain at FX — not too shabby for the former Lost co-showrunner who had been eying a slower pace following his intense stint on the hit ABC series.
A&E’s The Returned joins a number of series projects about deceased returning to their loved ones that have sprouted following the blockbuster success of AMC’s zombie drama The Walking Dead. It will air alongside ABC’s Resurrection, certain to be renewed for a second season, and the original French series The Returned, which airs in the US on SundanceTV. Additionally, NBC has similarly-themed drama pilot Babylon Fields in contention. A&E’s The Returned is co-produced by A+E Studios and FMNA in association with Haut et Court TV SAS, producer of the French series. Executive producers are Cuse, Tucker for Angry Annie Productions and Thom Beers, Craig Cegielski and Stefanie Berk for FremantleMedia North America. FremantleMedia will distribute the series internationally, excluding the U.S. and Canada. The executives overseeing the project are Beers and Craig Cegielski for FMNA and Bob DeBitetto for A+E Studios.
Old 04-29-14, 01:14 PM

Received 122 Likes on 84 Posts
Re: A&E orders American adaptation of "The Returned " to series from Carlton Cuse

Wait...isn't this what Resurrection is...?
Old 04-29-14, 01:20 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 14 Likes on 10 Posts
Re: A&E orders American adaptation of "The Returned " to series from Carlton Cuse

The original wasn't even that good.....
Old 04-29-14, 01:33 PM
DVD Talk Platinum Edition

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by Groucho
Wait...isn't this what Resurrection is...?
Resurrection is based on the book The Returned, which The Returned on French TV wasn't based on, but it has the same premise as the US show & book.

Last edited by anomynous; 04-29-14 at 01:46 PM.
Old 04-29-14, 01:37 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 88 Likes on 67 Posts

Please kill this "franchise" (zombies that aren't zombies) soon. The only decent one was the original french movie anyway.
Old 04-29-14, 03:10 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I watched the first episode of the French version a few months back on IFC or Sundance. I liked it, but I didn't watch the other episodes. I had read The Returned by Jason Mott, which Resurrection on ABC is based on last fall. I liked that book and I like the changes that were done for the show. It will be interesting to see how A&E does with this show. Casting could be one of the be factors with this.
Old 04-29-14, 03:56 PM
DVD Talk Ultimate Edition

Received 100 Likes on 80 Posts

Originally Posted by starseed1981
The original wasn't even that good.....
I thought the original French version was extremely good.
Old 04-29-14, 04:03 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 948 Likes on 722 Posts

I liked the French TV series, but not the earlier movie version
Old 05-22-14, 07:24 PM
DVD Talk God

http://m.deadline.com/2014/05/mark-p...rlton-cuse-ae/

Mark Pellegrino from Lost, Supernatural, Being Human and The Tomorrow People was cast as the lead.
Old 05-22-14, 08:21 PM
DVD Talk Godfather

Received 913 Likes on 648 Posts

Carlton Cuse (Bates Motel)
Even Cuse doesn't want to list Lost as a reference.
Old 05-22-14, 09:43 PM

Originally Posted by DJariya
http://m.deadline.com/2014/05/mark-p...rlton-cuse-ae/

Mark Pellegrino from Lost, Supernatural, Being Human and The Tomorrow People was cast as the lead.
I like Pellegrino and he does have fans from the shows he was on.
Old 05-22-14, 10:24 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Yeah he was good on Lost and Supernatural.
Old 05-22-14, 10:30 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 272 Likes on 201 Posts

Originally Posted by DJariya
Can't forget Dexter, back in the good years.
Old 06-05-14, 06:25 PM
DVD Talk God

http://m.deadline.com/2014/06/jeremy...medium=twitter

Jeremy Sisto was cast as a lead.

Also, Kevin Alejandro, formerly of Southland and True Blood, was cast as a regular.

http://m.deadline.com/2014/06/kevin-...-the-returned/

Last edited by DJariya; 06-05-14 at 06:31 PM.
Old 06-06-14, 02:58 PM
DVD Talk God

http://www.deadline.com/2014/06/mary...e-returned-ae/

Mary Elizabeth Winstead (Lucy McClane in Live Free or Die Hard) was just cast as a lead in this series.

Old 06-07-14, 12:05 AM
DVD Talk Reviewer/ Admin

Received 1,881 Likes on 1,238 Posts

I guess I'm tuning in then!
Old 02-28-15, 01:25 AM

I just saw promos for this show, earlier tonight. Premiers March 9th

<iframe width="560" height="315" src="https://www.youtube.com/embed/P2Qx5g_lUVk" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen></iframe>

<iframe width="560" height="315" src="https://www.youtube.com/embed/tdx7cx-1wwU" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen></iframe>
Old 03-09-15, 01:47 PM
DVD Talk God

The Returned (S1E01) -- Series Premiere -- "Camille" -- 3/9/15

“The Returned,” from executive producers Carlton Cuse (“Lost,” “Bates Motel”) and Raelle Tucker (“True Blood”), focuses on a small town that is turned upside down when several local people, who have been long presumed dead suddenly reappear, bringing with them both positive and detrimental consequences. As families are reunited, the lives of those who were left behind are challenged on a physical and emotional level. Interpersonal relationships are examined with intrigue and depth as strange phenomena begin to occur. “The Returned” is based on the popular and International Emmy®-award winning French suspense series adapted by Fabrice Gobert and inspired by the feature film, Les Revenants, directed by Robin Campillo.

“The Returned” stars Mary Elizabeth Winstead (Scott Pilgrim vs. the World, Smashed), Mark Pellegrino (“Lost”) , Jeremy Sisto (“Suburgatory,” “Six Feet Under”), India Ennenga (“Treme”), Sandrine Holt (“House of Cards”), Agnes Bruckner (“24”), Sophie Lowe (“Once Upon A Time in Wonderland”), Tandi Wright (“Nothing Trivial“), Mat Vairo (“Revolution”), Kevin Alejandro (“True Blood”), Dylan Kingwell (“The Tomorrow People”), Aaron Douglas (“Battlestar Galactica”), Dakota Guppy (“Rush”), Leah Gibson (The Twilight Saga: Eclipse), Michelle Forbes (“The Killing”), Rhys Ward (“The Strain”), Scott Hylands (“V”), Terry Chen (“Bates Motel”), Roger Cross (“24”).

This is based on the French series of the same name. I know the premise sounds exactly the same as Resurrection on ABC.

Starring:

Mary Elizabeth Winstead (Live Free or Die Hard)
Jeremy Sisto (Law and Order)
Michelle Forbes (The Killing)
Kevin Alejandro (Southland, True Blood)
Mark Pelligrino (Lost, Supernatural)
Aaron Douglas (Battlestar Galactica)
Carl Lumbly (Alias)

10 episode 1st season

<iframe width="560" height="315" src="https://www.youtube.com/embed/q6mBnVE_gLM" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen></iframe>

This is a pretty high profile new show on A&E. It's from the co-creator of Lost and Bates Motel Carlton Cuse.

Edit: Updated with a more detailed program synopsis and cast list.

Last edited by DJariya; 03-09-15 at 02:20 PM.
Old 03-09-15, 07:18 PM
DVD Talk Ultimate Edition

Received 280 Likes on 233 Posts
Re: The Returned (S1E01) -- Series Premiere -- "Camille" -- 3/9/15

I am going to give it a shot, having Netflixed the French original last year. It has a pretty high bar to overcome, since the original made for some compelling viewing.
Old 03-09-15, 09:51 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 848 Likes on 592 Posts

Michelle Forbes keeps finding her way into more and more series.

I really liked the French version - not sure I see the point in watching this remake.
Old 03-09-15, 10:25 PM
MrX
DVD Talk Hero

Received 259 Likes on 195 Posts

I never saw the French version, but I enjoyed it enough to tune in next week.
Old 03-09-15, 10:40 PM

Received 99 Likes on 82 Posts

Loved the French version. Not eagerly anticipating the American remake, but will get to this eventually (probably over the summer if my DVR queue is any indication).
Old 03-09-15, 10:57 PM

I watched the French version was first aired on Sundance. I liked the first episode of the US version. There are some great cast members here like Michelle Forbes, Mark Pellegrino and Mary Elizabeth Winstead. I still wonder if ABC's Resurrection will have impact on whether people will tune into this show.
Old 03-10-15, 02:33 AM
DVD Talk God

Never watched the French version.

Watched the 1st episode tonight and thought it was pretty good. Love the cast. I think they assembled a pretty good cast for a basic cable series.

There are some similarities to Resurrection, but I thought they handled it different enough here. I think there was a little "Lost" in here as well with the flashbacks and with some influence from Cuse as co-showrunner.

I'm assuming the young girl, who came back from the dead, and her now older twin sister have some kind of psychic connection as shown in the flashback.

I wonder why the old man jumped to his death after seeing his dead wife return. Something is up there.
Old 03-10-15, 03:43 AM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 88 Likes on 67 Posts

This is pretty much a shot for shot remake but somehow it's missing the creepy atmosphere of the original.

Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.