Go Back  DVD Talk Forum > Entertainment Discussions > TV Talk
Reload this Page >

Orphan Black (BBC America) - Season 3 Discussion Thread - Premieres 4/18/15

TV Talk Talk about Shows on TV

Old 04-13-15, 06:05 PM

Received 4,513 Likes on 3,061 Posts

You can't choose your family... or can you? BBC AMERICA's original drama Orphan Black, starring Tatiana Maslany in multiple roles, returns April 18. The groundbreaking series' second season brought new enemies to light, culminating in a shocking finale which revealed a new line of militaristic male clones, played by Ari Millen. Season three plunges the clone sisterhood, Project Leda, into unexpected territory with the realization that they're not alone. Orphan Black returns Saturday, April 18, 9:00pm ET on BBC AMERICA. After neutralizing the threat by the DYAD Institute (the company that monitored them) - Sarah, Helena, Cosima and Alison (Maslany) are finally all united in their journey towards the truth of who and what they are. But new discoveries that include Helena's kidnapping, a book that could contain the answers to their existence and the most shocking discovery of them all - a set of treacherous male clones with an unknown agenda - will test how tight their new bonds are.
<iframe width="560" height="315" src="https://www.youtube.com/embed/T2Vhk6rb-Gc" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen></iframe>

10 episode 3rd season
Old 04-13-15, 06:34 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Re: Orphan Black (BBC America) - Season 3 Discussion Thread - Premieres 4/18/15

Can't wait!

Anyone know how the ratings are for this show? Hopefully word of mouth has gotten more people to watch, but I have to think being on BBC America that it's not setting the world on fire.
Old 04-14-15, 02:44 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 323 Likes on 241 Posts

Originally Posted by buckeyes8604
Can't wait!

Anyone know how the ratings are for this show? Hopefully word of mouth has gotten more people to watch, but I have to think being on BBC America that it's not setting the world on fire.
I think after Doctor Who, it's BBC America's highest-rated series.
Old 04-14-15, 05:01 PM
Needs to Contact Admin about multiple accounts

I know the season opener will also air simultaneously on AMC, so hopefully that will help boost the numbers and will encourage a few to catch up via OnDemand and then tune in regularly on BBC America
Old 04-15-15, 11:51 AM
DRG
DVD Talk Legend

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

That's good news. At least I'll be able to see one episode in HD.
Old 04-15-15, 12:28 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 90 Likes on 70 Posts

I happened to stumble upon this show OnDemand, and I really like it. I am in the middle of Season 1, as they also have Season 2 OnDemand, so I should be all caught up for the new season in no time.
Old 04-15-15, 12:31 PM
DVD Talk God

Received 3,544 Likes on 2,540 Posts

Originally Posted by Shannon Nutt
I think after Doctor Who, it's BBC America's highest-rated series.
The ratings were good for cable with DVR playback factored in.

However, I saw the overnight ratings for a random episode and it was like 300K and 0.09 in the demos, but then again BBC America isn't a widely watched channel, especially on Saturday nights when this show airs. BBC America must have sold this show to other territories to make money.
Old 04-15-15, 12:56 PM
DVD Talk Legend

It's a Canadian series and does well here. Not sure if that means another season though.
Old 04-15-15, 07:05 PM
DVD Talk Platinum Edition

Received 137 Likes on 103 Posts

Originally Posted by DJariya

However, I saw the overnight ratings for a random episode and it was like 300K and 0.09 in the demos, but then again BBC America isn't a widely watched channel, especially on Saturday nights when this show airs. BBC America must have sold this show to other territories to make money.
I don't think BBC American owns the show. They are just the US broadcaster, like SyFy with Bitten and Lost Girl BBC Worldwide is the internal distribution company so they probably partnered with BBC American when bigger players didn't bite.
Old 04-16-15, 08:34 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 783 Likes on 657 Posts

Good shows go to die on BBC America. I don't think it's a widely carried cable channel and they have virtually no brand presence outside of Dr. Who.
Old 04-16-15, 10:09 PM

Received 137 Likes on 103 Posts

Originally Posted by PhantomStranger
Good shows go to die on BBC America. I don't think it's a widely carried cable channel and they have virtually no brand presence outside of Dr. Who.
AMC paid a decent chunk of change for half of it. Seems strange to me unless they are going poach the good shows and them use it as an outlet for reruns of AMC shows.
Old 04-17-15, 06:27 AM

Originally Posted by DJariya

Since Orphan Black is a co-production between BBC America and the Space network in Canada, BBC America is essentially only paying half for each episode, which helps the show be profitable. Licensing the show in foreign countries and DVD, Blu-ray and digital sales also help.

S1 averaged 0.375 million viewers and a 0.16 in the 18-49 demo in the overnights, while the S2 overnight average increased to 0.555 million viewers and a 0.25 in the demo. The S2 average makes it #2 on the BBC America schedule, after Doctor Who (which averaged 1.126 million viewers and a 0.42 in the demo for S8).
Old 04-18-15, 08:23 AM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

IFC is running an all-day marathon today before the season premiere simulcast.
Old 04-18-15, 09:19 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 2,677 Likes on 1,847 Posts

Well, that was an awesome season opener. Most of the advance reviews were kind of lukewarm, but I thought it kicked ass. Some really creepy shit going down. Delphine is going to a really ambiguous place. Sarah playing Rachel against Allison playing Sarah. Ari Millen seems capable of pulling off the Castors; they're all creepy as fuck in their own ways. Helena's dream was sort of funny and sort of sad at the same time where she's longing for human connection and family, but still doesn't quite get her extended family. Cool to see Cosima sharing her secret with Scott, and only him after giving him (kind of good-natured but still passive-aggressive) crap.
Old 04-18-15, 09:35 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 182 Likes on 147 Posts

I hoping for more fun with the core characters and less mumbo jumbo this year. Unfortunately, I'm not optimistic.
Old 04-19-15, 12:11 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by mwbmis
I hoping for more fun with the core characters and less mumbo jumbo this year. Unfortunately, I'm not optimistic.
Yeah. I loved Season 1, but I found Season 2 to be boring and just hard to follow. (Not sure if it's that I just don't understand all the mythology on this show, or I just don't care so I tune it out.)

I'm hoping this show gets back on the rails this season, but so far from the premiere it looks like it is more of the same.
Old 04-19-15, 12:50 AM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Received 15 Likes on 11 Posts

Originally Posted by Jadzia
Yeah. I loved Season 1, but I found Season 2 to be boring and just hard to follow. (Not sure if it's that I just don't understand all the mythology on this show, or I just don't care so I tune it out.)

I'm hoping this show gets back on the rails this season, but so far from the premiere it looks like it is more of the same.
I'm with you. More Allison! I love that character.

However, I think they are going to stay pretty dark for the reasons below. Watched S1 (liked it a lot), but quit watching S2 because it was so hard to follow. The premiere tonight looked interesting, so will give the series another try.

Orphan Black' story arc reminds me of Babylon 5's. The first season started out pretty light-hearted with Londo being everyone's friend (except G'Kar) and party animal with all. But they were just setting the stage to show his descent into darkness and the resulting wars... wars on so many fronts... but I LOVED Babylon 5. A difference between it and Orphan Black was it had the perfect compliment of humor, action and darkness and the wild plot threads all came together. All the seasons were great except the last one.

Maybe that can happen with Orphan Black, but I doubt it. But I thought tonight's ep did look promising...
Old 04-19-15, 12:55 AM

I also thought season 2 was a bit of a let down. Good, but nowhere near as good as season 1. I'll hope for the best for season 3 but I think the male clone angle is just going to make a complete mess of things.

One of my concerns early on was the showing getting way too complex by putting out too many clones - I thought they managed it extremely well in season 1 and kept a focused story. Season 2 became a bit of a mess in terms of storytelling and it seemed like they were introducing new clone variants just because they could, not because it was needed
Old 04-19-15, 07:30 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Received 228 Likes on 133 Posts

I liked this episode, but even if I didn't I love watching Maslany act. Watching her play Sarah impersonating Rachel was awesome. The nuances she brings to scenes like that are fantastic.
Old 04-19-15, 10:28 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 783 Likes on 657 Posts

The male clones feel like a huge mess of quicksand for the show. They already had too many characters when you consider all the female clones running around.
Old 04-20-15, 02:55 AM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Received 9 Likes on 6 Posts

"I thought Mr. Rubber Gloves was gonna throttle me on the spot."

Originally Posted by dstrauss
I liked this episode, but even if I didn't I love watching Maslany act. Watching her play Sarah impersonating Rachel was awesome. The nuances she brings to scenes like that are fantastic.

Not sure what I loved the most: the always welcome clones impersonating clones, or Tatiana Maslany's voice work on that scorpion.

Topside, 'Helsinki' clone killing - silly of me to think the show would dial it back some and just slowly introduce the male Project Castor counterparts to their universe/mythology. So many new layers thrown in this one hr alone it was almost hard to keep track of any of the alliances/villains, yet I still loved it. Thankfully we have the uptight desperate housewife angle that gives us the needed breather from the chaotic circling cat-and-mouse chase (isn't it time for those sister clones to ditch that unsafe, easily located grungy loft?)

Not much of a first impression with the male clones - all seem like Lifetime movie serial killer/predator caricatures. I hope they find a way to make the counterparts a one season thing because I agree the show will be too convoluted.
Old 04-21-15, 08:46 AM
DRG
DVD Talk Legend

The male clones are sort of boring so far. Am I supposed to be telling them apart? It also seems to defeat the purpose if they're all villains.
Old 04-21-15, 09:00 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by drg
the male clones are sort of boring so far. Am i supposed to be telling them apart? It also seems to defeat the purpose if they're all villains.
+1
Old 04-21-15, 11:11 AM

The 5-network 9pm simulcast of the S3 premiere had a total of 1.271 million viewers and a 0.40 in the 18-49 demo, well above the S2 overnight average of 0.555 million and a 0.25 in the demo. Here is the breakdown by network:

BBCA: 0.535 million / 0.19
AMC: 0.411 million / 0.13
WE: 0.128 million / 0.03
IFC: 0.116 million / 0.03
Sundance: 0.081 million / 0.02

It will be interesting to see the ratings for this Saturday's episode, which is airing only on BBC America.

AMC normally airs movie repeats on Saturday nights, right (I see Jurassic Park scheduled for this Saturday)? I wonder what the ratings are for the movie repeats? With AMC usually in a lower cable tier than BBC America, a BBC America/AMC simulcast of future episodes might help increase ad revenue for the show.
Old 04-21-15, 11:19 AM

As season 2 went on I, and it sounds like many others, found it hard to follow. I like thinking person's science fiction, but it got to be too much. Because of this I could barely follow what was happening in the premier. I plan on quitting if episode two continues down this track.

Also I didn't like the appearance of the male clones and was hoping they'd be gone, but apparently they're going to be a major part of the show. Part of the problem, for me, is they take away from Maslany's great performance, and cause more confusion.

Search this Thread

Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.