DVD Talk
No More Simpsons on DVD [Archive] - DVD Talk Forum

PDA

View Full Version : No More Simpsons on DVD

Double_Oh_7
04-09-15, 06:42 PM
Al Jean tweeted that FOX has discontinued releasing complete Simpsons seasons on DVD. This would most likely go for BD as well.

<blockquote class="twitter-tweet" lang="en"><p>.<a href="https://twitter.com/TheSimpsons">@thesimpsons</a> <a href="https://twitter.com/hashtag/EverySimpsonsEver?src=hash">#EverySimpsonsEver</a> I personally am v sorry to see DVDs discontinued We did them purely for the love of hearing ourselves talk</p>&mdash; Al Jean (@AlJean) <a href="https://twitter.com/AlJean/status/585822651651727361">April 8, 2015</a></blockquote>

kstublen
04-09-15, 08:44 PM
Fuck you FOX. I've got every season so far and two of every season once the head packaging was released. And now I'm going to have an incomplete collection? They could've at least finished out the rest until Season 20 since they've already released that one. This is nonsense.

rmw650
04-09-15, 10:05 PM
Both formats for this show are done and over with according to Al Jean as of Season 17...but hoping Olive or Shout picks this series up and continues onwards with it, much like what Olive Films is doing with King of the Hill.

Giles
04-09-15, 10:13 PM
Fuck you FOX. I've got every season so far and two of every season once the head packaging was released. And now I'm going to have an incomplete collection? They could've at least finished out the rest until Season 20 since they've already released that one. This is nonsense.

I agree someone at Fox is all round dumb - even the recent Emmy winning Bob's Burgers is relegated to DVD-R status .... cheap Fox, really cheap.

petroc
04-09-15, 11:05 PM
That's really too bad. I have about 12 seasons on DVD. I never bought any when they went to blu ray, but I was going to eventually. I enjoyed all the special features. I wonder if they didn't sell well?

SterlingBen
04-09-15, 11:48 PM
I love the commentaries on these! Damn it!

Alan Smithee
04-10-15, 12:15 AM
I've bought ever Simpsons release on Day 1, even the "best-of" discs with redundant episodes. I switched to Blu-Ray when those started being put out (and was surprised they did that with the shows that weren't produced HD) but thought about still buying the regular DVDs of those just for OCD-completeness sake. Hopefully there'll be enough backlash that the rest get put out eventually, at least in Japan (which is still getting Glee on Blu-Ray despite its being dumped here.)

Spiderbite
04-10-15, 07:14 AM
<---Waiting for complete collection. :D

The Man with the Golden Doujinshi
04-10-15, 11:13 AM
I've just been buying them on DVD when cheap but I also have so many unwatched seasons. I probably would have stopped buying them sooner if I'd been watching them as I got them. I would have liked to picked up the blu-rays instead of dvds but the price is always too steep for me, considering how awful the episodes are for those seasons.

Anytime I've watched in the last decade, I get Poochie stuck in my head because everything they made fun of with the survey in the episode is what they're doing now but not as a joke.

Alan Smithee
04-10-15, 04:38 PM
They have a new annoying character in the newer episodes? (Latest one I've seen was "Steal This Episode" which was pretty funny, had a nice jab at Hulu Plus in it.)

04-10-15, 07:31 PM
They have a new annoying character in the newer episodes?

I was thinking more along the lines of them saying they wanted realistic stories but zany unrealistic antics.

The annoying character could really be any celebrity though.

John Pannozzi
04-10-15, 09:45 PM
They'll still do commentaries and put them on the Simpsons World website, and they might do a complete series set when the show finally ends. (http://blogs.indiewire.com/criticwire/simpsons-showrunner-al-jean-says-no-further-seasons-will-be-released-on-dvd-20150408)

Mike86
04-10-15, 10:28 PM
This really upsets me as I've talked about in the thread in HD Talk. I've bought every set plus the movie twice and now to have an incomplete collection blows big time. A complete set would be cool someday but I imagine it'll be crazy expensive plus for fans like myself who've bought all the releases it would suck double dipping on that many sets. Fox can fuck themselves.

kstublen
04-11-15, 12:24 PM
And for some of us it would be a triple-dip because we already own two versions of most of the seasons thus far. This is a huge blow to me as a collector as The Simpsons was always one of my favorite shows and favorite parts of my collection.

PhantomStranger
04-11-15, 12:37 PM
They'll still do commentaries and put them on the Simpsons World website, and they might do a complete series set when the show finally ends. (http://blogs.indiewire.com/criticwire/simpsons-showrunner-al-jean-says-no-further-seasons-will-be-released-on-dvd-20150408)
I think they will eventually release some kind of complete set but that is a low-blow for people like me that have faithfully been buying them for years and years.

Fox could have easily kept pushing out a token release once a year with no supplemental features. It's a pretty nasty business move which isn't fan-friendly at all.

morriscroy
04-11-15, 01:06 PM
(On a tangent).

With these turn of events, wonder if this means Family Guy will go dvd-mod (or dvd discontinued altogether) for the next season set release.

So far, only an amazon placeholder has showed up for the next (hypothetical) season set of Family Guy.

http://www.amazon.com/exec/obidos/ASIN/B00T6KIIWW

(Bob's Burgers, American Dad, Cleveland Show, etc ... have already went dvd-mod).

PatD
04-11-15, 02:38 PM
This is more proof that the economic principle of supply and demand doesn't apply when it comes to home video.

This is total bullshit, FOX.

DJariya
04-11-15, 03:04 PM
I've just been buying them on DVD when cheap but I also have so many unwatched seasons.

This is one of the main reasons why this along with so many shows are being discontinued, sold via MOD or strictly on DVD.

I know most who are "collectors" are budget conscious and can't afford to buy every season of their favorite shows at new release prices. But, the studios also can't afford to continue to make the product and sell it at a loss when many here wait for 60-70% discounts. There is physical production costs along with promotional and advertising costs associated with making The Simpsons and any other show and movie on DVD/BD. It's not as simple as transferring the discs and assuming that FOX or whatever studio is already making money on it because it already aired on TV.

Mike86
04-11-15, 03:44 PM
Let's be realistic though, Fox started releasing these sets in 2001. After fourteen years they should have a relatively good idea of what sales will be like for these sets. If they don't I'm not sure what to say to them. I have a hard time buying that the drop in sales for the sets went down so much recently that they couldn't justify releasing them at all anymore. It isn't like they released two or three sets and they were failing and they quit. They put out eighteen fucking seasons, that's a good bulk of the show. I truly believe that the faithful fans like myself were buying the one release a year. I'm sure there may have been some drop off in sales over the years, but you don't put out eighteen sets because they aren't selling at all. It's pretty common sense. It seems very coincidental to me that this happened right after the launch of The Simpsons World app.

Josh-da-man
04-11-15, 04:28 PM
I think that Fox really screwed up the releases of The Simpsons by limiting them to one per year and not releasing the current season.

The way they trickled out onto the market, they were always going to be two decades behind. They should have been released at two per year until they caught up with the current season, or at least released the current season alongside the catalog releases. This strategy made The Simpsons a perpetual deep catalog title, which meant that as demand for catalog titles shrank, The Simpsons lost retail shelf space and consumer interest.

Mike86
04-11-15, 05:01 PM
I'm not sure why they stopped releasing two a year to begin with in all honesty. They did two a year for a while (seasons 6, 7, 8, and 9 plus seasons 13 and 20) and then went back to the one a year schedule. It would have made a lot more sense to keep them coming out at two a year and catching up. If they had done that we would have been caught up long ago. They fucked it up and now the fans who bought all the sets are paying for it.

PatD
04-11-15, 05:04 PM
This is a more systemic situation than just The Simpsons not being released.

Studios *hate* physical media. They've maintained an uneasy relationship with it for decades, knowing they could make a buck. But, now streaming offers them the opportunity to supplant physical media once and for all. This gives them 100% control over the product (outside of piracy).

Want to watch Alien? That'll be a fee for one viewing. Want to watch Tootsie? That's another fee for one viewing. Want to *own* Alien and Tootsie? You can own a digital copy that they can deactivate at their whim--and there's nothing you can do because you signed signed your life away with the Terms and Conditions.

Just remember: streaming and downloading makes things more convenient than physical media!

rmw650
04-11-15, 08:03 PM
Hoping Shout or Olive Films will secure the licensing rights to this show and release the remaining seasons for the mass audiences, but I agree, FOX HE committed a huge error here and they better rectify this and fast.

Mike86
04-11-15, 08:16 PM
I think it'll be hard for a company like Olive Films or Shout Factory to license it though even if Fox was willing to let someone do so. I imagine they'd want a bunch of money for licensing.

PhantomStranger
04-11-15, 10:34 PM
I think that Fox really screwed up the releases of The Simpsons by limiting them to one per year and not releasing the current season.

The way they trickled out onto the market, they were always going to be two decades behind. They should have been released at two per year until they caught up with the current season, or at least released the current season alongside the catalog releases. This strategy made The Simpsons a perpetual deep catalog title, which meant that as demand for catalog titles shrank, The Simpsons lost retail shelf space and consumer interest.
I fully agree with all your points. The great undercurrent going unmentioned is that retailers are shrinking the space available for physical media. The section getting hit hardest are television releases, it's harder than ever to find a DVD or Blu-ray of hit shows at retailers like Target.

Fox's home video department was rolling in the easy sales afforded by the early Simpsons' years which everyone with half a brain knew were going to be the biggest sellers. They should have been far more aggressive a decade ago with the show's release schedule before the market imploded. They had a misguided notion they would wait around for Blu-ray and hopefully re-release the earlier seasons in the more expensive format, getting customers to double dip. The studio waited too long and now we have come to this terrible predicament.

If people weren't aware, Fox's home video division has gone through massive lay-offs the past three years. There is practically no one left to release anything, one of the driving forces behind this decision.

Mike86
04-11-15, 11:02 PM
Fox's home video department was rolling in the easy sales afforded by the early Simpsons' years which everyone with half a brain knew were going to be the biggest sellers. They should have been far more aggressive a decade ago with the show's release schedule before the market imploded. They had a misguided notion they would wait around for Blu-ray and hopefully re-release the earlier seasons in the more expensive format, getting customers to double dip. The studio waited too long and now we have to come this terrible situation.
The thing is though while it probably is true that the earlier seasons were going to be the best sellers it seems like everyone has a different opinion as to what point in the show's history they think it went downhill. It seems like a lot of people (not including myself) dislike the show after season ten or in some instances before that. So they still went a long ways with releasing the so called unpopular seasons and actually the ironic thing is that they released a lot of the unpopular seasons and were getting close to when a lot of fans think it went through a rejuvenation (seasons twenty and beyond).

Some people had to have been buying the seasons for them to keep coming as long as they did. The sales may have been less for the later seasons but I'm guessing they were decent enough or I don't see why they would have kept them going as long as they did. Either way though I definitely agree that Fox really screwed up and fucked over the fans by going with only one release a year rather than getting them out quick and capitalizing on people making impulse buys.

04-12-15, 12:40 PM
I think FOX is fine with the massive amount of money they got for putting it all on streaming recently.

LorenzoL
04-12-15, 12:48 PM
The international customers are going to be screwed by this since we have no access to the app. Another DVD set I no longer will be buying.

Mike86
04-12-15, 01:08 PM
I think FOX is fine with the massive amount of money they got for putting it all on streaming recently.
I'm sure they are but at the same time it is kind of a fuck you to fans who have been buying the sets all along. A lot of the diehard fans like myself wanted a complete collection someday.

Double_Oh_7
04-12-15, 05:10 PM

No studio is ever happy. They always want MORE money.

davidh777
04-12-15, 06:28 PM
I fully agree with all your points. The great undercurrent going unmentioned is that retailers are shrinking the space available for physical media. The section getting hit hardest are television releases, it's harder than ever to find a DVD or Blu-ray of hit shows at retailers like Target.

Fox's home video department was rolling in the easy sales afforded by the early Simpsons' years which everyone with half a brain knew were going to be the biggest sellers. They should have been far more aggressive a decade ago with the show's release schedule before the market imploded. They had a misguided notion they would wait around for Blu-ray and hopefully re-release the earlier seasons in the more expensive format, getting customers to double dip. The studio waited too long and now we have come to this terrible predicament.

If people weren't aware, Fox's home video division has gone through massive lay-offs the past three years. There is practically no one left to release anything, one of the driving forces behind this decision.

I agree that they should have released more seasons earlier, when TV on DVD was a huge business. Just a few years later, the TV-watching business dramatically shifted, and now physical discs are considered an albatross by some consumers and many retailers.

I agree that digital has a lot of advantages for studios, but it's not all related to conspiracy theories about rebuying and altering content. :sarcasm: Fact is, multi-disc sets are expensive to replicate, ship, and store. If you end up with too much stock, you might run into a Big Lots-like situation (and that was back when DVD was popular).

For all we know, Fox could've wanted to pull the plug two seasons ago but didn't do it until now. :shrug:

Mike86
04-12-15, 07:44 PM
I don't think it's a conspiracy against consumers but fourteen years is a long damn time to devote to something that isn't working out. If the sets weren't selling well and they kept churning them out its on them. I'm still pretty stuck on thinking that if they couldn't come up with realistic sales expectations over that amount of time and that many releases the people in charge at Fox aren't the brightest.

I don't understand why more studios don't go the route of something like the Warner Archives Collection truthfully. It seems like a win-win model as the studios can sell product to consumers who want it without having to mass produce and risk products not selling and consumers who still want physical media copies of shows/films get what they want as well.

davidh777
04-12-15, 07:53 PM
I don't think it's a conspiracy against consumers but fourteen years is a long damn time to devote to something that isn't working out. If the sets weren't selling well and they kept churning them out its on them. I'm still pretty stuck on thinking that if they couldn't come up with realistic sales expectations over that amount of time and that many releases the people in charge at Fox aren't the brightest.

That's entirely possible, but wouldn't you agree that the market has changed drastically over the last few years? I'm certainly no fan of Fox and some of their decisions, but it may not be entirely on them. Their major retail partners (outside of online like Amazon) just don't want to stock this stuff anymore.

SterlingBen
04-12-15, 08:06 PM
Well, at least the best seasons made it out.

Mike86
04-12-15, 08:57 PM
That's entirely possible, but wouldn't you agree that the market has changed drastically over the last few years? I'm certainly no fan of Fox and some of their decisions, but it may not be entirely on them. Their major retail partners (outside of online like Amazon) just don't want to stock this stuff anymore.
There are still ways to release the sets if they'd think outside the box a bit and adapt to changing times. Release the sets exclusively through their own web site or partner with someone like Amazon. Satisfy your base of fans who have bought the product being sold for years and utilize online services. Instead just pulling the rug out from under their fanbase seems like their way of saying it was good while it lasted but screw you.

PhantomStranger
04-12-15, 09:45 PM
Not on Blu-ray...

Nick Danger
04-12-15, 09:51 PM

That was true ten years ago.

Pizza
04-12-15, 10:25 PM
Who knows. After the show is canned and they're looking for a few extra dollars maybe they'll release a complete series set. How many discs would that be? Yikes!

Alan Smithee
04-12-15, 10:39 PM
This seemed to be one of the better-selling shows, plus they started putting it out on Blu-Ray, even the seasons that weren't produced in HD originally! I'm betting this is just because they want everyone to subscribe to that SimpsonsWorld thing- the first thing I thought of when I heard of that coming out was "why would I need that when I've got all the shows on disc?" If anyone's subscribing to that now, they should cancel as a matter of principle, unless they like having that be the only way to see it.

Mike86
04-12-15, 10:57 PM
Well The Simpsons World app is free that's the one benefit. Still sucks for those of us who've been buying the seasons all this time. Also that's another good point about the series being released on Blu-ray. Fox has shown in the past that they'll abandon the Blu-ray releases of a series at first sign of seasons of a series not selling well. They released seasons thirteen through seventeen plus twenty on both Blu-ray and DVD so again it points to the fact that the sets must have been selling somewhat. I just don't entirely get what sparked this decision.

Alan Smithee
04-12-15, 11:08 PM
Well The Simpsons World app is free that's the one benefit.

It isn't for me- says I need a cable subscription which I will have when hell freezes over. Don't want to have to watch it through my computer anyways.

I wonder how The Simpsons (or any other show for that matter) has been selling on Vudu? The current season is $44.99, though you get each new episode as they come out. Checked the other seasons that haven't been on disc and they range from $39 to $49- no way would I pay that much for anything that's online-only, and I've paid less than that for any of the disc sets!

Mike86
04-12-15, 11:15 PM
Ah right I did forget it's with cable only as its part of FXX. Yeah it's absolutely ridiculous how much studios want to charge for digital downloads only.

majorjoe23
04-13-15, 07:23 AM
Isn't there a free random Simpsons episode channel on Roku? I thought I remembered a mention of that in streaming talk.

Edit: Nevermind, looks like that's a feature of the FX now app.

mythmaker18
04-13-15, 07:29 AM
Isn't there a free random Simpsons episode channel on Roku? I thought I remembered a mention of that in streaming talk.

If it's what I'm thinking of, it's probably one of the shady (illegal) "private" channels (JustinTV maybe?).

PhantomStranger
04-13-15, 02:49 PM
The huge syndication deal with FXX is definitely a part of this radical decision. It's not a coincidence that another beloved show from the 90s still raking in big bucks through syndication, Seinfeld, hasn't even hit Blu-ray. The studios do not want hardcore fans tuning out syndicated broadcasts for these mega-popular hits.

bossman284
04-14-15, 09:20 AM
The huge syndication deal with FXX is definitely a part of this radical decision. It's not a coincidence that another beloved show from the 90s still raking in big bucks through syndication, Seinfeld, hasn't even hit Blu-ray. The studios do not want hardcore fans tuning out syndicated broadcasts for these mega-popular hits.

The truth of it is I own all the Simpson sets and Seinfeld, but do most of my viewing of both of these shows on syndicated broadcasts. Rarely to I find myself saying I want to watch an episode of either show and go and grab the dvds, but when I'm channel surfing I usually stop when I get to either show and watch at least one episode. Fox has made more money with the Simpsons that releasing the remaining sets even in limited numbers would not hurt their bottom line. Saying that maybe someday their will be a complete series set does me no good, because i have all of them already and why would I want to buy them again? The best thing they could do is if they do decide to release the whole series at some point is to break up the sets in 5 year chunks, then the lot of us that have been collecting all along don't have to double dip on too many seasons.

Really all they have accomplished is pissing of the collector fan base...the average consumer will care less. However as someone that collects a lot of tv on dvd, it will give me pause on jumping in any other long term releases by Fox, and I'll probably wait for complete series sets rather than buying individual seasons, to avoid getting burnt again. I do realize that lack of sales on the individual sets might mean there will never be a complete series, but hasn't that always been the case.

MScottM
04-14-15, 09:33 AM
I agree with the releasing sets in 5 year batches but they should start from the newest and work backward. Otherwise they will run into the same sort of issues with sales they are having now. Most people that are likely to collect them already have seasons 1-15 so those would not sell well. But if they started at season 21-25 and then 16-20 those would sell well and when the 11-15, 6-10, and 1-5 didn't sell well and they stop producing then, who would care?

Mike86
04-14-15, 11:30 AM
I still think the best option would be doing a limited run of future seasons and making them available online. Either have Fox Connect directly sell the sets or make a deal with an online retailer like Amazon or someplace to give them exclusive rights. That way fans who still want the sets can get them but Fox doesn't have to mass produce and end up with overstock and have to sell them at a loss. It seems pretty much like a win-win scenario to me.

Chrisedge
04-14-15, 11:58 AM
...I'll probably wait for complete series sets rather than buying individual seasons, to avoid getting burnt again.

This. I have not bought a single season show since Amazing Stories S1, because they screw you over. Either by abandoning later seasons (A.S. only had two seasons!) or by offering more content in the complete package.

I bought the first four seasons of the Simpsons as that is the period I really watched, but we are quickly moving to a "no physical media" world where streaming and mp3's are the acceptable norm.

MScottM
04-14-15, 02:06 PM
but we are quickly moving to a "no physical media" world where streaming and mp3's are the acceptable norm.

Which is sad since this way someone else controls what is available and when.

kstublen
04-14-15, 06:05 PM
Part of my thing about physical media has always been that I can watch it without needing cable or the internet. All I need is some sort of power supply, whether it be battery-powered or electricity. I never have to worry about lag times or the internet going down, etc. I'm in control of what I want to watch, when I want to watch it and I could, in theory, watch something at any point in time for the rest of my life. Not so with this streaming or cloud nonsense where things could up and change on a whim.

04-14-15, 07:31 PM
Physical media isn't going to die unless TVs start becoming something people stop buying and internet providers stop capping their internet and that's not going to happen. Also take into consideration internet service in other countries, such as Australia.

bossman284
04-15-15, 07:46 AM
I still think the best option would be doing a limited run of future seasons and making them available online. Either have Fox Connect directly sell the sets or make a deal with an online retailer like Amazon or someplace to give them exclusive rights. That way fans who still want the sets can get them but Fox doesn't have to mass produce and end up with overstock and have to sell them at a loss. It seems pretty much like a win-win scenario to me.

I like this idea but I don't see it working. The cost in producing these sets is not in replication, but in prepping the material for disc, so I'm not sure they would think it was worth spending that money for a limited return

Mike86
04-15-15, 02:37 PM
I like this idea but I don't see it working. The cost in producing these sets is not in replication, but in prepping the material for disc, so I'm not sure they would think it was worth spending that money for a limited return
Al Jean said that they're still going to do commentaries and find a way to get them on The Simpsons World app. Even if the discs were barebones though while not ideal I'd rather take than nothing at all.

Bluelitespecial
04-15-15, 04:24 PM
Well I have been collecting The Simpsons on dvd since season one. But I have fallen behind (I still haven't bought 15,16, or 17), I will buy those on bluray, and hope there might be enough of backlash that FOX might change their minds. Or another studio might pick up releasing other seasons even if it goes back to just dvd only.

milo bloom
04-16-15, 05:03 PM
Unfortunately it's not a surprise. Even a collector like myself (nearly 1300 DVDs and Blus) has been taken in by the allure of streaming.

I'm still keeping my physical copies for certain things (MST3K for starters), but Star Trek? Somebody's always going to have that on streaming. Adventure Time? Either on Netflix or Itunes.

Even this morning, my wife woke up to tell me she dreamed that I had bought a complete TV series DVD set (with soundtrack CDs included) and she was so mad she ran off to the jungle with Russel Brand. If she had her way, all TV shows and movies would be on streaming and all books would be on Kindle.

Does seem odd that a flagship series like this wouldn't get an exception, but maybe someone like Shout! could pick it up.

rmw650
04-16-15, 07:21 PM
Unfortunately it's not a surprise. Even a collector like myself (nearly 1300 DVDs and Blus) has been taken in by the allure of streaming.

I'm still keeping my physical copies for certain things (MST3K for starters), but Star Trek? Somebody's always going to have that on streaming. Adventure Time? Either on Netflix or Itunes.

Even this morning, my wife woke up to tell me she dreamed that I had bought a complete TV series DVD set (with soundtrack CDs included) and she was so mad she ran off to the jungle with Russel Brand. If she had her way, all TV shows and movies would be on streaming and all books would be on Kindle.

Does seem odd that a flagship series like this wouldn't get an exception, but maybe someone like Shout! could pick it up.

Don't discount Olive Films either as they are about to finish off King of the Hill on DVD by the year's end. So that's another option that might happen.

Mike86
04-16-15, 07:45 PM
Don't discount Olive Films either as they are about to finish off King of the Hill on DVD by the year's end. So that's another option that might happen.
I doubt that the licensing rights to King of the Hill were as much as the rights for The Simpsons would be though. I am glad that Olive Films stepped up and finished the job that Fox abandoned with King of the Hill though.

mike1977
04-16-15, 07:56 PM
Part of my thing about physical media has always been that I can watch it without needing cable or the internet. All I need is some sort of power supply, whether it be battery-powered or electricity. I never have to worry about lag times or the internet going down, etc. I'm in control of what I want to watch, when I want to watch it and I could, in theory, watch something at any point in time for the rest of my life. Not so with this streaming or cloud nonsense where things could up and change on a whim.

Exactly!

PatD
04-21-15, 12:36 PM
Someone should organize a paper-mail petition drive to Fox Home Video. Get all Bjo Trimble on their asses.

mythmaker18
04-21-15, 03:50 PM
Get all Bjo Trimble on their asses.

Or, indeed Gene Roddenberry (according to the Solow/Justman book).

Honestly, I don't think a letter-writing campaign would help that much in this case. Here, we have a studio who are trying to sell subscriptions to their self-owned "Simpsons World" website. What better way to drive people to this product than to make it the exclusive outlet for all remaining episodes (as well as the ones already released)?

I feel if they weren't trying to make money with that website, the DVD releases would have probably continued in some form.

Alan Smithee
04-21-15, 05:33 PM
While I'm too lazy to look it up again right now, I read that the DVD decision IS because of Simpsons World. Just all the more reason not to use that- let it blow up in their faces.

davidh777
04-21-15, 05:49 PM
Here's something along those lines. It's a fan rant rather than official confirmation, though.

http://www.examiner.com/article/no-people-the-simpsons-dvd-s-were-not-canceled-due-to-low-sales

Mike86
04-21-15, 07:48 PM
Someone should organize a paper-mail petition drive to Fox Home Video. Get all Bjo Trimble on their asses.
If it would actually work I'd be totally willing to do this. It always seems like petitions fall on deaf ears though.

hanshotfirst1138
04-21-15, 08:00 PM
<iframe width="420" height="315" src="https://www.youtube.com/embed/Duoc9juM15w" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen></iframe>

Well, Fox has gone full-scale in their abandonment of physical media. And if this wasn't a title that'd sell, nothing will. And I have a feeling that they're not going to be the last.

Josh-da-man
04-21-15, 09:28 PM
If it would actually work I'd be totally willing to do this. It always seems like petitions fall on deaf ears though.

Yeah, it's pretty much known that most people will sign a petition demanding something and never follow through.

Josh-da-man
04-21-15, 09:32 PM
Food for thought, but Fox was one of the last studios, along with Paramount, to embrace the DVD format.

As such, it shouldn't be surprising that they - along with Paramount (who recently licensed out to Warners) - are the first studios to start dropping their support for discs.

kstublen
04-21-15, 09:45 PM
When there was the backlash about the change in packaging from Seasons 1-5 (box) to Season 6 (plastic head) not only did FOX offer a mail-in program to get a box package for Season 6, but from then on out they released plastic head packages and standard box packages and later continued this for the molded head packages too.

So we're talking about a company that actually listened to its fanbase and offered a solution. I find the decision to halt production on these releases all the more confusing given their past actions.

Alan Smithee
04-21-15, 09:49 PM
Ironically they were the FIRST major studio to license movies for VHS and Beta in 1977. But I do remember they supported DIVX over regular DVD, and then their first DVDs were ridiculously overpriced as their laserdiscs had been before.

When they put out good product at a reasonable price, I buy. If they don't want my money, I'll find someone else to give it to.

Alan Smithee
04-21-15, 09:51 PM
So we're talking about a company that actually listened to its fanbase and offered a solution. I find the decision to halt production on these releases all the more confusing given their past actions.

As has been mentioned before, most of the people who ran the home video departments back then are no longer working. It seems to get that job now you're required not to care much about it. Funny that I could probably do a better job, generate more sales and accept lower pay than those people. Heck, they could almost get away just paying me with free product!

rmw650
04-21-15, 11:02 PM
I doubt that the licensing rights to King of the Hill were as much as the rights for The Simpsons would be though. I am glad that Olive Films stepped up and finished the job that Fox abandoned with King of the Hill though.

Mike, you just never know as crazier things have happened with regards to this industry so hoping Olive Films or even SHOUT steps up and continues onward with this show (Simpsons, that is) starting at Season 18 and 19.

joltman
04-22-15, 06:15 AM
I think it's safe to say sales aren't the issue (or at least not entirely), and they just want to push people to FXX and the website, meaning if they aren't releasing it themselves, they aren't farming them out either.

TerryW
04-22-15, 07:30 AM
And this is why we steal from corporations like this.

morriscroy
04-22-15, 09:43 AM
As has been mentioned before, most of the people who ran the home video departments back then are no longer working. It seems to get that job now you're required not to care much about it. Funny that I could probably do a better job, generate more sales and accept lower pay than those people. Heck, they could almost get away just paying me with free product!

If you (ie. Alan Smithee) truly believe in your own abilities, then have you thought about starting your own home video bluray company? Or have you already started your own home video bluray company already?

Chad
04-22-15, 02:55 PM

There's currently a Facebook group doing just that, but at 140+ members it's not exactly setting the world on fire.

https://www.facebook.com/groups/1643530482546429/

1. Write to:
Twentieth Century Fox Home Entertainment, Inc.
2121 Av Of The Sts 2500 Ste 2500
Los Angeles, CA, 90067 United States

2. Sign and share these petitions from Facebook, to twitter, to Tumblr:
http://www.thepetitionsite.com//keep-releasing-simpsons-d/
http://www.ipetitions.com/pe/continue-simpsons-dvd-releases

3. This is optional; E-mail to Olive Films about sub-licensing rights to Seasons 18-onward if Fox themselves aren't willing to do it. I know Shout! is a better candidate but they "would if they could".
And this is how we'll do it every month. So get ready! Our first campaign begins next Friday, April 24th!!!

Mike86
04-22-15, 03:03 PM
There's currently a Facebook group doing just that, but at 140+ members it's not exactly setting the world on fire.

https://www.facebook.com/groups/1643530482546429/

1. Write to:
Twentieth Century Fox Home Entertainment, Inc.
2121 Av Of The Sts 2500 Ste 2500
Los Angeles, CA, 90067 United States

2. Sign and share these petitions from Facebook, to twitter, to Tumblr:
http://www.thepetitionsite.com/…/keep-releasing-simpsons-d…/
http://www.ipetitions.com/pe…/continue-simpsons-dvd-releases

3. This is optional; E-mail to Olive Films about sub-licensing rights to Seasons 18-onward if Fox themselves aren't willing to do it. I know Shout! is a better candidate but they "would if they could".
And this is how we'll do it every month. So get ready! Our first campaign begins next Friday, April 24th!!!
What's with Shout Factory's "would if we could" response? I wonder if they've actually been approached and looked into doing so or are they just ruling it out right away. I would guess the licensing fees for the series are through the roof. I'll look into sending a letter but I won't hold my breath that it'll make much difference.

PhantomStranger
04-22-15, 03:33 PM
I don't believe Fox would license out the Simpsons, so that is a non-starter. Either Fox recants their decision in a few months (vaguely possible) or our favorite Yellow family will be confined to streaming going forward.

Alan Smithee
04-22-15, 04:23 PM
If you (ie. Alan Smithee) truly believe in your own abilities, then have you thought about starting your own home video bluray company? Or have you already started your own home video bluray company already?

I might just do that if I can make enough money to do it- I've thought about either that or running a movie theater that I can afford to lose money on.

And not meaning this as a knock against The Simpsons but- when the hell is the show going to END?

PhantomStranger
04-22-15, 11:21 PM
The show will remain on the air as long as the main voice actors are breathing. It's a huge cash cow for Fox and they now have the syndication deal in place they have always wanted.

thetao
04-23-15, 10:20 AM
I already own seasons 1-9, which for me is probably enough, but used Fox's decision as motivation to write my congressman and senators, asking for a law that legalizes region-free DVD and Blu-Ray players, like Australia and New Zealand did a decade ago. While Fox may stop selling The Simpsons on home media in North America, it is inconceivable that it will disappear globally. There would still be the PAL issue, but that's a much lower bar to clear. This would punch a permanent hole in the DMCA, which is also highly appealing.

davidh777
04-23-15, 10:34 AM
I already own seasons 1-9, which for me is probably enough, but used Fox's decision as motivation to write my congressman and senators, asking for a law that legalizes region-free DVD and Blu-Ray players, like Australia and New Zealand did a decade ago. While Fox may stop selling The Simpsons on home media in North America, it is inconceivable that it will disappear globally. There would still be the PAL issue, but that's a much lower bar to clear. This would punch a permanent hole in the DMCA, which is also highly appealing.

Good luck in your battle against the movie studios!

thetao
04-23-15, 12:23 PM
Good luck in your battle against the movie studios!

I'd be happy for some company! :)

mythmaker18
04-23-15, 06:41 PM
I already own seasons 1-9, which for me is probably enough, but used Fox's decision as motivation to write my congressman and senators, asking for a law that legalizes region-free DVD and Blu-Ray players, like Australia and New Zealand did a decade ago.

As has been said, good luck with that. The studios want to keep those barriers in place, and most people outside us hobbyists could care less about being able to buy/play foreign discs.

While Fox may stop selling The Simpsons on home media in North America, it is inconceivable that it will disappear globally.

No it isn't. It's far more likely that Fox will either enable global access to Simpsons World, or will come up with localized versions for other territories (or put the episodes on foreign iTunes regions).

thetao
04-23-15, 07:33 PM
most people outside us hobbyists could care less about being able to buy/play foreign discs.

But it isn't a foreign disk if a US company imports it and sells it on amazon.com. Yes, they would still need a warning, but it would be much less dire than "incompatible with standard North American players".

It's far more likely that Fox will either enable global access to Simpsons World, or will come up with localized versions for other territories (or put the episodes on foreign iTunes regions).

Do you realize how many countries produce Simpsons DVD's? I still have a hard time believing it will disappear completely. It is debatable whether DVD's with English language tracks will continue.

wz42
04-23-15, 09:24 PM
I think it's safe to say sales aren't the issue (or at least not entirely), and they just want to push people to FXX and the website, meaning if they aren't releasing it themselves, they aren't farming them out either.

Since FXX is only in the U.S. I'm thinking that's one hope of still getting discs. Canada still lags behind other countries due to bandwidth and ISP issues. Then there's Australia, all of Europe, Japan etc. Hopefully Fox Japan (for example) will still release the sets and we can just import them.

Additionally since Fox puts out Bob's Burgers, the last two seasons of Cleveland Show and even Louie on Amazon's DVDr program I thinking (hoping?) this release is a little hyperbolic and we'll still have a DVD option for upcoming seasons.

Too optimistic?

Alan Smithee
04-23-15, 10:50 PM
The show will remain on the air as long as the main voice actors are breathing. It's a huge cash cow for Fox and they now have the syndication deal in place they have always wanted.

Possibly, but at this rate it could also end because of something money-related. Just hope it gets a proper send-off no matter how it happens.

kstublen
04-23-15, 11:02 PM
I doubt they could ever do this and keep it under wraps, but it would be great if there was a way they could make a series finale now with most of the main cast intact that way if they do need to end it at some point due to the unexpected death of a main cast member they can do so in a satisfying way.

04-24-15, 09:55 AM
Possibly, but at this rate it could also end because of something money-related. Just hope it gets a proper send-off no matter how it happens.

I don't see it ending in syndication anytime soon.

I see it ending on FOX soon since they switched to renewing it yearly instead of multiple years, the drop in viewer numbers, and how they've been moving away from Sunday night animation.

Mike86
04-24-15, 10:28 AM
At this point I hope that Fox just leaves it on the air until the series is ready to end. I wouldn't mind if it ended at season thirty just for a nice round number. I don't necessarily want it to end though as its always been a staple show for me, but I do realize that it has been on for a long time.

rmw650
04-24-15, 06:51 PM
At this point I hope that Fox just leaves it on the air until the series is ready to end. I wouldn't mind if it ended at season thirty just for a nice round number. I don't necessarily want it to end though as its always been a staple show for me, but I do realize that it has been on for a long time.

I think this show comes to an end at Season 30 as ratings have been down quite a bit and the fact FOX is paying a lot of money to the folks behind the scenes and them only wanting more money for their services as each passing season goes by, FOX just has to decide when it's time to finally close this series out and call it a day.

grundle
04-25-15, 11:14 AM
I own the first seven seasons on DVD. I quit watching new episodes on a regular basis during the original broadcast of season eight. I am happy with my seven seasons on DVD. I don't have cable.

That being said, I very much understand why people who bought all the seasons that have been released so far, and were planning to buy every season of the entire series, are disappointed at the news that future seasons will not be released. There was an understanding, assumption, implication, or whatever, that as they long they kept buying the newly released seasons, further seasons would continue to get released. And since they have already bought far more seasons of this show than what exists for a typical show, these fans put a lot more emotional and financial investment into hoping that every season would eventually get released. I understand why they are saddened by this news.

However, I also hope that they will not allow the completist in them to be so upset that it prevents them from enjoying the seasons that they do own. I remember there's a Family Ties fan in this forum who sold his seasons of the show because some of the other seasons had not been released. His reasoning was that if he couldn't have every season, he didn't want to have any. While I can certainly understand such an attitude, I would never do that. I wish they had released the remaining seasons of The Muppet Show and One Day At A Time, but I'm certainly not going to let their non-release prevent me from enjoying the seasons that I do own. And same goes for the Looney Tunes releases too.

Here's something along those lines. It's a fan rant rather than official confirmation, though.

http://www.examiner.com/article/no-people-the-simpsons-dvd-s-were-not-canceled-due-to-low-sales

I strongly agree with this part of the article. This is plenty or room for both streaming and DVDs. By not releasing those seasons on DVD, Fox is basically begging people to bootleg those episodes. Someone in their marketing department is an idiot:

Executives at Fox see the “Simpsons World” app as being a goldmine, but the only way it can become one is if Simpsons fans use it. So they are discontinuing the DVD’s not because of poor sales, but because they are hoping it forces the fanbases hands in using the service. They will not, I can almost certainly assure you. Simpsons fans, on the average, tend to be older. They prefer watching the show on their TV’s, not on smartphone and tablet screens. They are also tech savvy enough to know how to pirate the show if they so choose to.

By selfishly deciding that the online streaming app can’t peacefully co-exist with the physical media formats, Fox has forced fans hands…they have forced fans to pirate the show. Those fans who were buying the DVD’s will download pirated episodes that have not been released and will make their own DVD’s. Not everyone is going to want to use this app. “I” don’t want to use this app. I will not use this app. I will personally pirate the unreleased episodes. I invested hundreds of dollars into these DVD’s, and I’m not going to give Fox the satisfaction of making money off me every time I watch an episode. So to summarize, “The Simpsons” DVD releases getting canceled is not the result of a shifting market, but a marketing decision to force people to use a platform that the studio hopes will make more money than the other platform. And to keep ownership out of the fans hands, of course.

Mike86
04-25-15, 11:21 AM
If the series isn't completed I still fully intend to keep what I have. There still is a lot of enjoyment for me in the collection I do have and a lot of nostalgia too. Hell The Simpsons seasons were some of the first DVDs I bought. When my collection was first starting the first couple seasons were my big boxed sets and definitely the first tv show on DVD I owned. It does upset me that there's potentially no more being released but selling them after this many years of collecting would be silly.

04-25-15, 03:24 PM
However, I also hope that they will not allow the completist in them to be so upset that it prevents them from enjoying the seasons that they do own. I remember there's a Family Ties fan in this forum who sold his seasons of the show because some of the other seasons had not been released. His reasoning was that if he couldn't have every season, he didn't want to have any. While I can certainly understand such an attitude, I would never do that. I wish they had released the remaining seasons of The Muppet Show and One Day At A Time, but I'm certainly not going to let their non-release prevent me from enjoying the seasons that I do own. And same goes for the Looney Tunes releases too.

Most people will get over it.

I remember back when DVDs started to not come with an insert that showed chapter listings or artwork and some people here were "no insert, no sale".

Or when WB started doing the archive discs on DVDR and that ruffled feathers.

wz42
04-27-15, 11:48 PM
Most people will get over it.

I won't get over it unless I can get the sets in comparable quality (box art, commentaries, extras) EXACTLY like the previous sets via Amazon MOD or an import release.

Even if this happens this may kill my TV on DVD purchases for ALL labels unless its a complete series set.

Why bother when I can just record it from TV in DVD for SD or .mts for HD using my own equipment?

04-28-15, 10:19 AM
I won't get over it unless I can get the sets in comparable quality (box art, commentaries, extras) EXACTLY like the previous sets via Amazon MOD or an import release.

Even if this happens this may kill my TV on DVD purchases for ALL labels unless its a complete series set.

Why bother when I can just record it from TV in DVD for SD or .mts for HD using my own equipment?

Priorities for people change as time passes.

There's no reason you shouldn't go ahead with that strategy, plus you get to make your own packaging however you want. You won't get the Simpson cases we've been getting if it goes MOD. That extra cost defeats the purpose of MOD.

I used to record shows all the time that I knew would probably never make it to DVD. I'd make a backup on disc and keep the file on my computer and stream it when I want to watch it.

Mike86
04-28-15, 10:48 AM
Yeah if we get MOD releases or something similar I don't expect them to be like the releases we've gotten thus far. Even if someone like Olive Films or Shout Factory would pick up the series I don't expect to get as much as Fox gave us with the releases they put out. The seasons of King of the Hill put out by Olive Films have just been the episodes on disc with no extras to speak of. Truthfully as much as I'd rather get sets packed with extras I would accept bare bones releases for The Simpsons.

davidh777
04-28-15, 10:54 AM
The landscape for entertainment media is changing so quickly that it's difficult to expect a release pattern of consistent quality for a show that has run so many seasons.

Mike86
04-28-15, 10:59 AM
The landscape for entertainment media is changing so quickly that it's difficult to expect a release pattern of consistent quality for a show that has run so many seasons.
They did it for fourteen years though and the only thing that really changed over the course of that time was packaging and some of the seasons being available on both DVD and Blu-ray. :shrug:

davidh777
04-28-15, 11:06 AM
They did it for fourteen years though and the only thing that really changed over the course of that time was packaging and some of the seasons being available on both DVD and Blu-ray. :shrug:

...which is awesome. But still not close to finishing the run.

Mike86
04-28-15, 11:15 AM
...which is awesome. But still not close to finishing the run.
Actually it really is. They're over half done as Fox released eighteen seasons and we're on twenty-six right now. So a pretty good bulk of the series is out.

wz42
04-28-15, 03:22 PM
Priorities for people change as time passes.

There's no reason you shouldn't go ahead with that strategy, plus you get to make your own packaging however you want. You won't get the Simpson cases we've been getting if it goes MOD. That extra cost defeats the purpose of MOD.

I used to record shows all the time that I knew would probably never make it to DVD. I'd make a backup on disc and keep the file on my computer and stream it when I want to watch it.

Yeah if we get MOD releases or something similar I don't expect them to be like the releases we've gotten thus far. Even if someone like Olive Films or Shout Factory would pick up the series I don't expect to get as much as Fox gave us with the releases they put out. The seasons of King of the Hill put out by Olive Films have just been the episodes on disc with no extras to speak of. Truthfully as much as I'd rather get sets packed with extras I would accept bare bones releases for The Simpsons.

Al Jean said he's hoping to do the commentaries, special features et al for the online content so, unlike KOTH, if they're making the content anyways I'm hopeful Jean and the rest of the crew could get those also included in a MOD and/or foreign releases.

As for the packaging I wouldn't expect the molded heads but even a normal release with a nice slipcover would do for me.

Since FXX or the Simpsons app isn't available in Canada I'm also hopeful the best options for us wanting to continue the set is that Fox Canada (or a Canadian distributor like eOne) will snag the Canadian rights so we can still have access to a pressed R1 release.

davidh777
04-30-15, 10:32 AM
Actually it really is. They're over half done as Fox released eighteen seasons and we're on twenty-six right now. So a pretty good bulk of the series is out.

Again, that's awesome, but the prospects have never looked worse for those final 8+ seasons.

Don't get me wrong. I don't watch the Simpsons, but I'm a fan of having TV shows available so I hope the seasons become available other than on the app. I'm just not holding my breath for it.

Mike86
04-30-15, 11:56 PM
Again, that's awesome, but the prospects have never looked worse for those final 8+ seasons.

Don't get me wrong. I don't watch the Simpsons, but I'm a fan of having TV shows available so I hope the seasons become available other than on the app. I'm just not holding my breath for it.
Right but I think you're missing the point a bit. Yes I realize the way people view media is changing and physical formats aren't as popular, but let's be honest if the series wasn't selling well at all Fox would have stopped them a long time ago. I don't think the prospects changed suddenly due to low sales. I'm almost positive it's more that they're wanting to push their app.

davidh777
05-01-15, 10:59 AM
Right but I think you're missing the point a bit. Yes I realize the way people view media is changing and physical formats aren't as popular, but let's be honest if the series wasn't selling well at all Fox would have stopped them a long time ago. I don't think the prospects changed suddenly due to low sales. I'm almost positive it's more that they're wanting to push their app.

What exactly am I missing? I think it's pure speculation that Fox has kept releasing these because sales were good. For all we know, the beancounters wanted to cancel them years ago but the studio wanted to continue BECAUSE IT'S THE SIMPSONS. Sure, the app is there and the timing does seem suspicious, but that's also just speculation. We won't really know unless we get some Fox executives, financial people, and brand managers in here.

Mike86
05-02-15, 07:58 AM
I don't buy that Fox would have continued to release the series for as long as they did if sales were poor. Like I mentioned earlier especially due to the fact that they released six seasons on Blu-Ray when they've show for other shows that they'll drop them in an instant if sales aren't to their expectations.

Josh-da-man
05-02-15, 03:08 PM
I suppose that there could, in theory, be other costs involved with something like The Simpsons.

If there are certain royalties that need to paid out, then if Fox saw the sales dropping, they might have decided it was becoming unprofitable.

PhantomStranger
05-02-15, 03:58 PM
I fully expect other countries to continue getting Simpsons' DVDs and even Blu-rays. Streaming revenue is simply not a priority in most countries, this is a move attempting to migrate long-time fans to this app.

mythmaker18
05-04-15, 12:36 PM
I fully expect other countries to continue getting Simpsons' DVDs and even Blu-rays.

I don't.

Streaming revenue is simply not a priority in most countries, this is a move attempting to migrate long-time fans to this app.

There's plenty of streaming in the UK and Australia, the two biggest territories where one would normally buy non-US DVDs that are in English with English packaging and no chance of forced subtitles. I'd certainly expect to see the Simpsons app expand to include those countries rather than physical media continue there.

Netflix isn't yet a presence in Japan, Spain or Italy, but it's launching in all three countries this year, so one might argue there's more of a chance of physical releases continuing there for the time being, but then you're having to deal with potential for dubbing, foreign subtitles/packaging, and with DVD, PAL speedup, or with Japan, although their sets would be NTSC, they'd also be outrageously expensive.

However you look at it, though, the handwriting is still on the wall. As streaming gets more entrenched worldwide, Fox is much more likely to either expand access to the app, or launch localised versions internationally than continue with physical media. It's all about maintaining control over the content, being able to "rent" it to the consumer monthly rather than allowing them to pay once and never look back.

tbryson880
05-05-15, 09:41 PM
I have several of the complete season sets, this is sad news indeed.

05-05-15, 09:58 PM
There's plenty of streaming in the UK and Australia

Unless things have changed in Australia, there's some severe usage caps which would limit ones video streaming pleasure.

Alan Smithee
10-16-15, 08:11 PM
Just saw a message on Facebook promoting audio commentaries for Season 18 episodes on the SimpsonsWorld website- which you can't even access without a cable subscription. Fuck 'em.

10-17-15, 02:05 PM
For seasons 18&19, Just download them from your computer. I Also did that with seasons 21-24

Considering that's highly illegal, I won't because I have no desire to spend a vacation away from my family in prison.

Alan Smithee
10-17-15, 03:45 PM
Plus the quality would likely suck compared to what we'd get on Blu-Ray.

Bluelitespecial
10-17-15, 06:02 PM
Have all the syndication rights for the Simpsons gone to FX now. Our local station that aired them I believe has stopped. This isnt right for all of us fans who dont have cable. I am missing three seasons I havent bought on bluray and still hope some thing changes.

majorjoe23
10-17-15, 08:37 PM
I think it's still in regular syndication as well, but my local station dropped it a few years back in favor of The Big Bang Theory,

Nick Danger
10-18-15, 07:58 AM
Have all the syndication rights for the Simpsons gone to FX now. Our local station that aired them I believe has stopped. This isnt right for all of us fans who dont have cable. I am missing three seasons I havent bought on bluray and still hope some thing changes.

"Isn't right"? You're complaining that free TV isn't giving you the programming you want? You can watch F Troop and Bewitched.

Bluelitespecial
10-18-15, 11:44 AM
I found out that The Simpsons is still on tv here in town, no its not right if you are a fan of the show, collect all of the dvds, and then discontinue them. Tell everyone the only way you can see the rest of the series is online through their app, and its only available if you are a cable subscriber.

Mike86
10-18-15, 11:48 AM
I'm lucky to have FXX (only because I work for a cable company and get my service for free) but aside from being on there the amount of time I see The Simpsons on TV is extremely limited. There's two episodes on after SNL each week and that's all.

majorjoe23
10-18-15, 12:02 PM
I don't have cable, but my parents do, so I'm able to us the FX Now app.

10-18-15, 12:38 PM
"Isn't right"? You're complaining that free TV isn't giving you the programming you want?

In what world do you win this argument or change their mind? I know it's not this one.

jjcool
10-18-15, 01:02 PM
Considering that's highly illegal, I won't because I have no desire to spend a vacation away from my family in prison.

I don't know. If my family was in prison, I would welcome a vacation away from them.

PhantomStranger
10-21-15, 12:24 PM
I was honestly expecting FXX to play Simpsons more often they what they've been airing. My local channels have all dropped the Simpsons from syndication. I guess Fox is serious about pushing people to their Simpsons' website.

rmw650
10-21-15, 05:37 PM
I was honestly expecting FXX to play Simpsons more often they what they've been airing. My local channels have all dropped the Simpsons from syndication. I guess Fox is serious about pushing people to their Simpsons' website.

Hoping FOX has a change of heart and AT THE VERY LEAST releases Seasons 18 & 19 and then they can farm out the remaining seasons over to either SHOUT or Olive Films or even VEI.

LorenzoL
10-21-15, 05:44 PM
Hoping FOX has a change of heart and AT THE VERY LEAST releases Seasons 18 & 19 and then they can farm out the remaining seasons over to either SHOUT or Olive Films or even VEI.
I think FOX will be stubborn about this and we may wait a long while or never for a home video release.

10-21-15, 06:59 PM
They never ruled out releasing the rest once the show is killed off.

PhantomStranger
10-25-15, 01:51 PM
The app is what they want to foist on viewers. I expect some kind of token media release in a year or two after subscriber downloads have leveled off.

Upper pylon 3
10-26-15, 06:14 PM
I have all of the Simpsons seasons on DVD that are out and will buy the others if and when they come out. In the meantime I have recently recorded all of the other episodes off of FXX & the local Fox Channel (except 3 Treehouse of Horror episodes that I will get this week) and copied them onto VHS (yes I still use VHS :)). After this week I can downgrade my cable service to a lower cost package and I will never subscribe to the Simpsons App. Until Fox releases or liscenses(sp) out the remaining seasons, they can suck it. :)

I did the same thing in 2008 with King of the Hill and now I will have them all on DVD!!

Regulus
10-26-15, 10:51 PM
i have all of the simpsons seasons on dvd that are out and will buy the others if and when they come out. In the meantime i have recently recorded all of the other episodes off of fxx & the local fox channel (except 3 treehouse of horror episodes that i will get this week) and copied them onto vhs (yes i still use vhs :)). After this week i can downgrade my cable service to a lower cost package and i will never subscribe to the simpsons app. Until fox releases or liscenses(sp) out the remaining seasons, they can suck it. :)

i did the same thing in 2008 with king of the hill and now i will have them all on dvd!!

seconded!

DthRdrX
07-22-17, 03:45 PM
Look what was on their FB page today ...

NO NEED TO GET STABBY – “THE SIMPSONS” IS BACK ON DVD!

https://scontent-lga3-1.xx.fbcdn.net/v/t31.0-8/20368777_10154849422333697_3855441168517055176_o.jpg?oh=efbce6cf0583c8431288535528ba49d6&oe=5A10C5D7

Mike86
07-22-17, 03:49 PM
Awesome. I wonder if it's DVD only or Blu-ray as well. I'm in either way but considering that we got thirteen through seventeen and twenty on Blu-ray it'd be nice if that was an option.

DVD Josh
07-22-17, 05:28 PM
Great news. I'd like to at least finish through 20.

Mike86
07-22-17, 05:31 PM
I hope they go all the way. I agree that at least to twenty would be good so there aren't gaps between what's been released but as a diehard fan I want the complete series eventually.

Alan Smithee
07-22-17, 07:56 PM
I read there won't be a Blu-Ray this time, so as glad as I am to get the releases back it still feels like a step backwards. I'll buy it anyways but I won't be happy about it. Hope they go back to Blu-Ray at least for the true hi-def shows later.

rmw650
07-22-17, 08:10 PM
I hope they go all the way. I agree that at least to twenty would be good so there aren't gaps between what's been released but as a diehard fan I want the complete series eventually.

Mike, they did release Season 20 already a few years ago and Season 18 is just on DVD only with commentaries and I predict Season 19 comes out around springtime 2018 and then I think they'll release Season 21 thereafter before going on another break, but the studio learned their lesson not to tee off the fans the way they did, so better late than never when it comes to these releases.

Mike86
07-22-17, 09:17 PM
Too bad about DVD only but I guess I'll still get it. Kind of irritating that it's going to go DVD for one through twelve, Blu-ray for thirteen through seventeen, DVD for eighteen and likely nineteen, Blu-ray for twenty, and then who knows for beyond that (probably DVD). I guess whatever as long as it comes out.

skywalker8
07-22-17, 09:45 PM
Not a tremendous loss... The Simpsons didn't begin production in HD until season 20 anyway. Hopefully they'll rerelease season 20 with extras and resume bluray releases after. But for now I'm happy with the DVD only release, even though it's a bit frustrating for lack of consistency.
By the way, the commentaries for seasons 18 and 19 and maybe beyond have been on the Simpsons app for a while. I haven't listened to any and haven't even been able to find a list of participants (which I always found fascinating read and looked forward to most with the previous releases) but they're up there...

skywalker8
07-22-17, 09:46 PM
The app is what they want to foist on viewers. I expect some kind of token media release in a year or two after subscriber downloads have leveled off.

You called it!

Doc Moonlight
07-23-17, 06:50 PM
I wonder if we'll still get the 3 dimensional plastic cases.

Content Relevant URLs by vBSEO 3.2.0